Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2022 GOTY

Video game themed message board
YBBR

2022 GOTY

Post by YBBR »

1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Tunic
4. Tinykin
5. Sniper Elite 5
6. TMNT Shredder's Revenge

Here are the best games I played that came out this year.

All of these were good. Top 3 were all various shades of great.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Re: 2022 GOTY

Post by salamander »

My buddy is going to come over and we're going to play TMNT in the next couple months.
I can barely wait.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
tommy carpasch

Post by tommy carpasch »

TMNT but I'm biased
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok must be in there somewhere.
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I guess I only got through HFW this year.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:14 pm I guess I only got through HFW this year.
Any good? I liked the first one quite a bit.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Also, I just got to say play Vampire Survivors. It's 5 bucks and is like a video game slot machine in terms of what it does to your brain. It makes the dopamine centers in your brain go brrrrrrr.

Easy recommendation to nearly everyone. Elden Ring narrowly edges it out for me, but i think you know if you're someone who would enjoy that game. I do think it's the most accessible Soulsborne game because of its nature and how it's constructed.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:47 pm
LordNu wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:14 pm I guess I only got through HFW this year.
Its basically the same game, but new story. I liked it, and am waiting for dlc, so give it a shot if you liked no.1. Mind you, i probably preferred no.1 if i had to pick.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:57 am
Its basically the same game, but new story. I liked it, and am waiting for dlc, so give it a shot if you liked no.1. Mind you, i probably preferred no.1 if i had to pick.
I'm really waiting for something to come out that feels new. Everything feels so similar lately.
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:08 pm
I'm really waiting for something to come out that feels new. Everything feels so similar lately.
Same with everything :/ need to find underground material.
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

I have been struggling to find new games that make me feel like games used to. I just downloaded the original Diablo 2 games to try to find the magic again. That is the game that really captured me.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
salamander

Post by salamander »

If you haven't played Sekiro, try that.

It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

salamander wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:43 am

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that game.
I made this!
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:42 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:43 am

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that game.
Just don't forget to use your parry liberally.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

The first 1-2 hours of Sekiro may seem a bit bland, but once it gets cooking, it's amazing. Basically, once you get past the Ogre it picks up.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:30 pm The first 1-2 hours of Sekiro may seem a bit bland, but once it gets cooking, it's amazing. Basically, once you get past the Ogre it picks up.
:thumbsup:
I made this!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

1. Somerville
2. As Dusk Falls
3. Cuphead DLC

Didn’t like anything else.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:54 am 1. Somerville
2. As Dusk Falls
3. Cuphead DLC

Didn’t like anything else.
I would have never pegged you as a narrative adventure fan from the outset. Check out Norco, Pentiment, and Citizen Sleeper. I think all of them are on Game pass and all got many top marks in game of the year recognition for their narrative, story telling, and rich worlds. I think you might dig one of those.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Felt like a weak year for games. While I appreciate the Elden Ring popularity.. I had no interest and I feel like the "Souls" series of game is really a niche thing. But considering the weak year, I guess they were best.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:20 pm Felt like a weak year for games. While I appreciate the Elden Ring popularity.. I had no interest and I feel like the "Souls" series of game is really a niche thing. But considering the weak year, I guess they were best.
Elden Ring is pretty amazing in any year. The only thing that comes close in the last couple years is Hades. Is Hades better than Elden Ring? That's a very tough question to answer.

Many of the best games were indies or smaller games in 2022. I think that sentiment is widely shared by people.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Games are just like the movie business now. If you want art, you have to go to smaller devs. If you want another avengers movie, you stick will AAA titles from the big studios that churn out the same game yearly.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Did anyone vote for Skyrim? Because, I mean technically....
I made this!
Norn_Iron

Post by Norn_Iron »

Wreckfest online
Tiny Tinas Wonderlands (borderlands FPS)
Self praise is no praise. But i am pretty great...
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:20 pm Felt like a weak year for games. While I appreciate the Elden Ring popularity.. I had no interest and I feel like the "Souls" series of game is really a niche thing. But considering the weak year, I guess they were best.
I've heard this a few times. I don't get it at all.

We had a new Horizon game, God of War & Elden Ring were 3 absolutely phenominal games. Most years don't have that level of greatness at the top Then Shredder's Revenge, Stray was a really weird/good game, Kirby was good from what my younger cousin told me, new Xenoblade, Mario+Rabbids, another Bayonetta, etc. This was a Modern Warfare year for CoD which is the best CoD has to offer.

Thought this year was an up year for Video games.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:02 am Did anyone vote for Skyrim? Because, I mean technically....
I play occasionally on the VR, it’s pretty sweet - the other day I was helping kill a green dragon outside Falkreath and the dragon swooped down, then back up right next to me - I was using a bow from Shadowmare and looking up I saw what I thought was a glitched bird..it was a small looking none moving bird at first, then I realized it was a body hurtling towards me that the dragon had swooped up, and was dropping bodies onto my party to take us out. Skyrim is a classic, no doubt.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:57 am
I've heard this a few times. I don't get it at all.

We had a new Horizon game, God of War & Elden Ring were 3 absolutely phenominal games. Most years don't have that level of greatness at the top Then Shredder's Revenge, Stray was a really weird/good game, Kirby was good from what my younger cousin told me, new Xenoblade, Mario+Rabbids, another Bayonetta, etc. This was a Modern Warfare year for CoD which is the best CoD has to offer.

Thought this year was an up year for Video games.
FWIW, I didn't play ANY of those games. I guess I shoulda worded that differently. FWIW, I admit those are all objectively good games, just not my cup of tea.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong