Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Successful Season Already?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Nightfly

Successful Season Already?

Post by Nightfly »

Does winning a very weak division and a best-of-3 WC series win constitute a successful season?

While ending the 18-game postseason losing streak is noteworthy, it still highlights nearly two decades of playoff futility more than anything. And we've only reached the divisional round, where we are 0 for our last 6.

So, let's say we fall to Houston in 3 or 4 games, and are only competitive in 1 or 2 of those. Do you feel good about 2023?
Slap Shot

Re: Successful Season Already?

Post by Slap Shot »

If they get worked by Houston it will leave a bad taste in my mouth. But let's be realistic - with their overall payroll (16th in MLB?) should expect more?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

first of all every season is a successful one when the stanks don't win the WS. this has been a good season if you've followed the twins too. lots of highlights in the second half--once they started playing their rookies on a regular basis.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Winning a pathetic division that no one else wanted to win is meaningless. Ending the most embarrassing streak in sports does mean something. Success on that front.
Let's get Tropical
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I've got to say yes, just because that's such a huge monkey off the organization's back. They did what they should do. Win a weak division. But they took it even further.
On the other side, they could have avoided the first round and been hosting the ALDS if they'd just won a couple more games. They cost themselves by giving Joey Gallo way too many chances when everyone knew he had little to offer when they signed him. They sat on their hands at the deadline, I assume because they were scared of getting burned again like they did last year. The bullpen struggled in the middle of the year. It's a strength again because they're getting something out of Paddack, they figured out Varland could be a reliever and Stewart came off the shelf just in time. They made some great under the radar moves with Castro and Taylor that helped immensely, but their big spends have all been busts (or in Correa's case, simply a bust at the plate). The rookies have stepped up huge, just stop taking chances away by pinch-hitting for them with the frickin' Jordan Luplows of the world. I'd still like to see a different regime spearhead this young group going forward, but this year probably buys them at least two more years.
Last edited by feekdogg on Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

Mostly yes. As others have said, if they were to get embarrassed in the ALDS it would effect my feelings, but if they lose a competitive series, I'd be fine with how it went.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
Coach X

Post by Coach X »

Considering who the manager is, for the players this season was a massive success. I legitimately think with a decent manager the team wins 5-10 more games and likely has the 2 seed. Rocco is a thorn in their side, and they are still winning big games. Pretty impressive. Down side of that is he is likely back multiple more sessons because of this success.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Yes, given how well they turned it around after the AS break. But there's more work to do.

I'll argue the Twins are the slightly better team even if they don't have home field advantage.

Post AS break:
Twins 42-29
Astros 37-31

Rotation: Twins
Bullpen: Astros
Defense: Twins
Offense: Astros
Bench Depth: Twins
FishNChipsGuy

Post by FishNChipsGuy »

To this I say World Series or bust my guys
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

At least they won a playoff game. And winning one series was fun. Let's go win another one and then see where we're at.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

42-29 since the break, a team full of young players and a AAA team filled with prospects.

Compare that with the Wild who insist on staying/getting older...
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:33 am 42-29 since the break, a team full of young players and a AAA team filled with prospects.

Compare that with the Wild who insist on staying/getting older...
THat's the best part of this so far.... all the young guys getting post season experience against the champs. And holding them even so far is even better.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

This season has absolutely been a success. I was in college The last time they won a playoff series. Their window is now though, cuz Gray is as good as gone after the season.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:43 am This season has absolutely been a success. I was in college The last time they won a playoff series. Their window is now though, cuz Gray is as good as gone after the season.
I'm not going to close the window on this one yet. Winning changes things. That might make him change his mind/mend the fences a little on his issues with how the organization handles its starters.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

Def a success. We had a chance in game 1 vs the Astros and won game 2. I am going to say they will win game 3. Not sure who we'd be trotting out for game 4, I'd almost rather see Ryan than Ober again. Solid chance there will be a game 5 with Pablo pitching for all the tostitos.
Phil Leotardo

Post by Phil Leotardo »

Gordonbombay wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:02 am Def a success. We had a chance in game 1 vs the Astros and won game 2. I am going to say they will win game 3. Not sure who we'd be trotting out for game 4, I'd almost rather see Ryan than Ober again. Solid chance there will be a game 5 with Pablo pitching for all the tostitos.
Ryan get's game 4, almost 100%. Game 3 is a huge one, don't want to have to trust Joe with the season on the line.
That's right cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!
focker

Post by focker »

I think so. Won the division, broke the playoff futility streak and are now playing competitive ball against Houston. Win game 3 and maybe we take this series.
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

focker wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 pm I think so. Won the division, broke the playoff futility streak and are now playing competitive ball against Houston. Win game 3 and maybe we take this series.
A lopez verlander dual for game 5 would be epic
Da Gas Man's Ghost

Post by Da Gas Man's Ghost »

focker wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 pm I think so. Won the division, broke the playoff futility streak and are now playing competitive ball against Houston. Win game 3 and maybe we take this series.
This is accurate and also why we are losers.
Pronouns: They/him/hers

Hopeful Member of the Crique.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Not a success, but not a failure. Winning a series would be a success
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

I have a high standard for this organization. The season is a bust if they don’t get to post season. If they get to post season and don’t get to play for the World Series, it is a disappointing season.
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

No. This franchise needs to get to the Alcs. They lose in this round far too often.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Imagine our local 9 in the World Series this next week with highs in the 30's!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Nightfly wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:43 pm Does winning a very weak division and a best-of-3 WC series win constitute a successful season?

While ending the 18-game postseason losing streak is noteworthy, it still highlights nearly two decades of playoff futility more than anything. And we've only reached the divisional round, where we are 0 for our last 6.

So, let's say we fall to Houston in 3 or 4 games, and are only competitive in 1 or 2 of those. Do you feel good about 2023?
Not winning the World Series equals failure.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.