Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

RIP Henry Boucha

A place to discuss the MN Wild
Hornets

RIP Henry Boucha

Post by Hornets »

Sad news for sure, Warroad legend Henry Boucha has passed away at the age of 72. With his trademark headband Boucha was a HS star at Warroad and played in one of the most exciting games ever in state tournament history against, wait for it.....EDINA! Boucha was injured in the 2nd period of the game and the Hornets went on to win 5-4.

I was at the North Stars vs Bruins game in which Boucha's career was dealt a vicious blow...after coming out of the penalty box following a fight with Dave Forbes, Boucha's eye was the recipient of the butt end of Forbe's stick and Forbes then jumped on top of Henry and started beating him in the head. Boucha's vision was forever hampered and he never was able to regain the form that had made him a top prospect.

RIP Henry...RIP

***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Re: RIP Henry Boucha

Post by weimy froob »

forbes was charged with assault and battery or something like that in a court of law--but was found not guilty if i'm remembering correctly. i think it was the first time that someone was charged with a crime for something done while playing a sport. real big story here for sure.

RIP henry.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

strib headline gets it right. too bad we can't put time in a bottle. all these players that we looked up to are senior citizens now and sadly there'll be more RIP threads going forward.

Henry Boucha, Minnesota hockey legend, Warroad icon, dies at 72
Warroad High School star Henry Boucha was an Olympic medal-winner who played professionally and become a Minnesota hockey icon.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"He was truly a legend in the state of Minnesota," Warroad boys hockey coach Jay Hardwick said. "When people talk of Warroad hockey and the state tournament, Henry will always be a part of that."

In order to stay on the ice for the entire game, Boucha played defense in high school, scoring 60 goals as a senior. Warroad faced Edina in the state title game, losing 5-4 in overtime after Boucha suffered a punctured eardrum while being checked into the boards, forcing him to leave the game in the second period.

With 15,066 in attendance at Met Center, it was the largest crowd at the time to watch a high school hockey game in Minnesota.

"It's been 35 years now, and I can be at a Wild game or in the Mall of America, and people will walk up to me and say, 'Geez, I was at that game,'" Boucha told the Star Tribune in 2004. "Thirty-five years later, they still talk about it. I've had people tell me that was their first tournament, and when they went back the next year and walked into the building, it wasn't the same electricity. I don't know if that kind of electricity will ever be there again. It was quite a tournament."
Leon

Post by Leon »

lots of comments regarding the Edina - Warroad State Tournament game in 1969, Boucha on the receiving end of a "cheap shot" that knocked him ( and the best player in the state ) out of the game in the 2nd period. Edina won the game by one goal.

I recall him playing for the Fighting Saints back in the day - you nailed it Weimy, all of our childhood hero's are hitting the age where we will unfortunately be seeing this too often.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hockeytown's Henry Boucha was columnist's 'first in-person hockey hero'
He was different, meaning special, by any measure. Henry Boucha of Warroard earned the "legend" label in Minnesota, rising above all the others who made his hometown a hockey hotbed.

My first sportswriting job was at the Duluth News-Tribune and Herald, starting in December 1965 as a 20-year-old and for the kingly sum of $76.08 per week.

The frightening part was being in a city enamored of hockey to the point it was building a new arena to house the Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs — and my experience with the sport had been watching the 1960 U.S. Olympic team defeat Czechoslovakia to clinch the gold medal on a small-screen black-and-white television.

Sports editor Bruce Bennett took note of my hockey ignorance and restricted my duties for the sport to monitoring the Duluth Hornets, a senior amateur team that played Sundays at the drafty old Curling Club next to the big lake.

Four months in Duluth, and I then escaped to the safety of the St. Cloud Times, where we covered basketball, a little wrestling and more basketball during the winter.

Thus it was I came to the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch on Labor Day in 1968 still unlearned in the ways of puck. Once winter arrived, I was told: "You are now a hockey expert. Head for Aldrich Arena and don't come back until the Saturday tripleheaders are complete."

Which was OK, but it was not the true enlightenment that took place in that winter of 1968-69.

There were tales making their way to the Twin Cities of this wondrous player from the hinterlands of Warroad — a Native American kid who had learned to fly on ice by skating the river under the moonlight.

https://www.startribune.com/henry-bouch ... 600305937/
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"There are reasons — the Christians, the Roberts, the Marvins — that Warroad can promote itself as Hockeytown USA. No one is more important to that than Henry."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this says it all--but you can click the link to read more.

Henry Boucha is remembered by the State of Hockey and the world of hockey
"The best hockey player to come out of Minnesota" was eulogized in front of about 800 in Warroad Gardens arena.

https://www.startribune.com/henry-bouch ... 600308701/