Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Washburn McCreavy sponsors this thread about the Case-IH red zone regarding annoying Gophers ad placement

Home for Gopher football topics
Falen's Boyfriend

Washburn McCreavy sponsors this thread about the Case-IH red zone regarding annoying Gophers ad placement

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

If you've listened to a Gopher football game on the radio recently, you know that Gophers radio Vox Mike Grimm CONSTANTLY inserts advertising spots during his call of a game.

For example: "And with that Mo Ibrahim 32-yard run to the Purdue 7-yard line, the Gophers have entered the Case-IH red zone. Case-IH, you'll love the way you look. Contact your local Case-IH representative today to learn what Case-IH can do for you."

"But wait, the officials are reviewing the play. It appears that Mo may have stepped out of bounds near the 30. This judgement is brought to you by Planet Fitness. At Planet Fitness, we won't judge you. Call your local Planet fitness today and ask about getting your first month free."

"Upon review, Mo was out at the 29 so Coach Fleck is sending in the field goal unit. And this field goal try is sponsored by the Minnesota Corn Growers Association...."

Long story short, On New Year's Eve, I listened to Michigan radio doing the Michigan vs TCU game and Georgia radio doing the Georgia vs Ohio State and that kind of thing didn't happen at all during their broadcasts.

My question: have you listened to other college football radio broadcasts and are Gopher football broadcasts uniquely hampered by constant advertisements during the game call?
Hornets

Re: Washburn McCreavy sponsors this thread about the Case-IH red zone regarding annoying Gophers ad placement

Post by Hornets »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 pm If you've listened to a Gopher football game on the radio recently, you know that Gophers radio Vox Mike Grimm CONSTANTLY inserts advertising spots during his call of a game.

For example: "And with that Mo Ibrahim 32-yard run to the Purdue 7-yard line, the Gophers have entered the Case-IH red zone. Case-IH, you'll love the way you look. Contact your local Case-IH representative today to learn what Case-IH can do for you."

"But wait, the officials are reviewing the play. It appears that Mo may have stepped out of bounds near the 30. This judgement is brought to you by Planet Fitness. At Planet Fitness, we won't judge you. Call your local Planet fitness today and ask about getting your first month free."

"Upon review, Mo was out at the 29 so Coach Fleck is sending in the field goal unit. And this field goal try is sponsored by the Minnesota Corn Growers Association...."

Long story short, On New Year's Eve, I listened to Michigan radio doing the Michigan vs TCU game and Georgia radio doing the Georgia vs Ohio State and that kind of thing didn't happen at all during their broadcasts.

My question: have you listened to other college football radio broadcasts and are Gopher football broadcasts uniquely hampered by constant advertisements during the game call?
Makes me long for the days of Ray Christensen...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Falen's Boyfriend

Re: Washburn McCreavy sponsors this thread about the Case-IH red zone regarding annoying Gophers ad placement

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

Hornets wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:06 pm
Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 pm If you've listened to a Gopher football game on the radio recently, you know that Gophers radio Vox Mike Grimm CONSTANTLY inserts advertising spots during his call of a game.

Ray was the best!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Indeed. We grow up with Ray and our kids grow up with Paul fn Allen. :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:46 pm

:lol: Kids today want to be entertained by the likes of PA! So as a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's I/we had the pleasure of listening to Ray for Gopher sports, Herb for Twins baseball, and Al Shaver for hockey....gives me goosebumps just thinking about how good they were!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

Hornets wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:53 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:46 pm

:lol: Kids today want to be entertained by the likes of PA! So as a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's I/we had the pleasure of listening to Ray for Gopher sports, Herb for Twins baseball, and Al Shaver for hockey....gives me goosebumps just thinking about how good they were!
Yep! Even Doug McCleod for Gopher hockey! Classics!
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

They've been doing this crap at Twins radio broadcasts for years. It has kind of leaked its' way into other sports. I blame the Pohlads and WCCO.
ocsid

Post by ocsid »

I think the Case-IH thing is common among a lot of midwestern schools, including a lot of the Big Ten.
Proud member of the Low-T Posse®
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's seamless. he's so good at it he'll have the job until he decides to quit. all this money is going into the kfan coffers i presume. he just got a blue cross/blue shield blurb in. it's actually funny listening to all these sponshorships. grimm knows which ad goes where for sure. :lol:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's time for a sieben/carey sideline report. lulz.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

in a hurry don't worry.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mike grimm might be able to read the ads smoothly--but he's a terrible play by play guy. darrell thompson might top him in the bad department in his analysis. and some people complain about PA? lulz.
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:33 pm mike grimm might be able to read the ads smoothly--but he's a terrible play by play guy. darrell thompson might top him in the bad department in his analysis. and some people complain about PA? lulz.
He is bad, but he is Pat Summerall compared to fucking Dave Lee who did it for a number of years. He was so embarrassing. A major power 5 program that actually had a radio dj doing it's play by play. We went from all world, professional and legend in Ray Christensen to a god damn morning radio show host. It was so embarrassing.

And PA is one of mechanically worst player by play calls I have ever listened to. It's fucking radio, you are supposed to paint the picture of what is happening and give info. He focuses on schtick and leaves you wondering what the fuck just happened.

But back to your point, Grimm sucks also.
TheLokNesMonster

Post by TheLokNesMonster »

Sponsors are given options as to how they would like their messages to be delivered. Often times they opt for the :15 or :30 second traditional commercial, and perhaps supplement with sponsor mentions. I believe it’s an industry standard to pay for six of these and it’s at the announcer’s discretion when to drop them in.

Some sponsors opt for the small and quick sponsor mentions exclusively, believing that it’s less intrusive, and perhaps even adds to the drama, especially if the announcer is particularly adept at reading ad copy.

This explanation of the current trend in advertising is brought to by your Great Western Auto Parts Stores.