Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official 2023 Thoughts/Prediction thread***

Home for Gopher football topics
feekdogg

***Official 2023 Thoughts/Prediction thread***

Post by feekdogg »

Well, I suppose we should get the show on the road here. One week out and there are a grand total of 45 tickets left for the home opener. Safe to call that one a sellout. Not sure if that's due to Fleck having the program in a place where there's enough interest/excitement to draw people in or if those seats are being sold to Nebraska fans filled with renewed hope/optimism in their new coach.

On offense, there's a lot to be excited about. Small sample size, but Kaliakmanis certainly looked the part. Mobile and a good arm. If he can stay healthy, he has a shot to be the best Gopher QB in about 4 decades (low bar).
Mo is gone, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Assume Tyler, the WMU transfer, gets first shot to be the main guy, but he's not exactly built to be a workhorse. There's all sorts of ways the RB depth chart could shake out. I wouldn't even be shocked if Bryce Williams ends up as the team's leading rusher by the end of the season.
Depth should not be an issue with the receiving group. Spann-Ford, CRAB, Daniel Jackson and Brockington all back. Transfers Croom and Spencer both have looked good. Plenty of options for AK and an obvious point of strength for the offense. The question is how much of a deviation from the normal Gopher offense are the new OCs going to take?
OL should be fine. I think they're at a point now with depth that the recruiting and development is good enough where it won't be a concern from year to year. The starters should be a mix of redshirt seniors and juniors, with experienced guys backing up. Not concerned here.
Defense is the big unknown. Rossi's obviously very good as a DC and barring a disaster year, he's going to start getting mentioned for HC jobs, at least at the non-P5 level.
Biggest concern is the pass rush. It's been lacking and a clear weakness. They've got to find someone on the roster that can consistently pressure the QB.
Linebackers should be OK. Lindenberg has come a long way from the scrawny freshman who looked way lost against Michigan in 2020. Depth might be an issue here though.
The secondary will obviously be the strength of the defense. Nubin's a legit All-America candidate. Walley's as good of a cover corner as they've had here in a long time.

All that said, the schedule is a bear. No way around it. They're going to get tested early on the road at UNC. I don't see any baffling losses on the schedule, but when it's all said and done, this feels like another 8-win season and a trip to a pretty garbage bowl game.
Slap Shot

Re: ***Official 2023 Thoughts/Prediction thread***

Post by Slap Shot »

If they manage 8 wins vs this schedule I'll take it considering the roster turnover.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

No Excuse Not To Win: EMU, Louisiana, NW, Purdue
Should Probably Win: Nebraska, Michigan State
Could Win, But Iffy: UNC, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin
Pack A Lunch: OSU, Michigan

Pajamas has to prove he can finally get past Bielema and Ferentz. They've both beaten him every single time, usually with a worse team.
No idea what to make of Wisconsin. What they're doing makes no sense. Can you basically start from scratch (with plenty of good pieces) and be good right off the bat?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Getting excited for the opener!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Feek, great stuff as usual. Appreciate the info.

Some questions:

1. Can you elaborate on what you meant on your Wisconsin reference? Are you just saying the starting over part because of the coaching change or what other things have they done that has mystified you? Oh, and one other thing - FUCK Wisconsin. :mrgreen:

2. I love your position on the evolution of the offensive line and then perhaps it will be Wisconsin like going forward in that we just supplement and tweak with new guys but essentially it should be pretty good every year. Was kind of wondering that myself, and I'm definitely hoping that's going to be the case. I can only deal with poor offensive line play from one of my two teams!

3. Who should we be watching for as the dark horse pass rusher that could emerge? Do you have any hope there?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 am Feek, great stuff as usual. Appreciate the info.

Some questions:

1. Can you elaborate on what you meant on your Wisconsin reference? Are you just saying the starting over part because of the coaching change or what other things have they done that has mystified you? Oh, and one other thing - FUCK Wisconsin. :mrgreen:

2. I love your position on the evolution of the offensive line and then perhaps it will be Wisconsin like going forward in that we just supplement and tweak with new guys but essentially it should be pretty good every year. Was kind of wondering that myself, and I'm definitely hoping that's going to be the case. I can only deal with poor offensive line play from one of my two teams!

3. Who should we be watching for as the dark horse pass rusher that could emerge? Do you have any hope there?
The coaching change and subsequent drastic change in offensive philosophy. They're throwing out three decades of run heavy, play action offense and turning to up-tempo Air Raid. And pretty much everywhere I've seen, they're the consensus pick to win the West. They were 7-6 last year. I don't get it.

The guy I'm keeping my eye on is Anthony Smith. Wears #0. Built like Julius Peppers, 6'6" 285. If you buy into star rankings for recruiting, he's probably the highest rated guy PJ ever brought in. Fleck mentioned him on his show from the Fair as really having a good camp, so we'll see if that translates on the field.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:53 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 am Feek, great stuff as usual. Appreciate the info.

Some questions:

The coaching change and subsequent drastic change in offensive philosophy. They're throwing out three decades of run heavy, play action offense and turning to up-tempo Air Raid. And pretty much everywhere I've seen, they're the consensus pick to win the West. They were 7-6 last year. I don't get it.

The guy I'm keeping my eye on is Anthony Smith. Wears #0. Built like Julius Peppers, 6'6" 285. If you buy into star rankings for recruiting, he's probably the highest rated guy PJ ever brought in. Fleck mentioned him on his show from the Fair as really having a good camp, so we'll see if that translates on the field.
Dawg how come you know so much about Gopher football? Seems you're really invested in them!
hategreenticemase

Some questions:

Holy shit, I am removed from things - I didn't know about the offensive philosophy change. That's stunning. Wow.

Looking forward to seeing Smith. One game changer pass rusher can change things in a hurry.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hornets wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:34 pm

Some questions:

Dawg how come you know so much about Gopher football? Seems you're really invested in them!
I had season tickets for a decade, don't remember the last time I didn't watch a Gopher game, I know a guy who's pretty plugged into the program. Planning on going to each home game this year. Takes up a good chunk of fall and that's just fine by me.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Both kids got student season tickets so I can live vicariously through them this season.

I see 7 or 8 wins only unfortunately and I hope they prove me wrong.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

It's Kali time!! Sorry Tanner!!
Ya know what?

Post by Ya know what? »

This is our 31st year of season tickets and heading to NC for the game in September. Can't wait for some Golden Gopher Football.
hategreenticemase

I guess this all will come down to how good AK can be. He has weapons, decent OL play and has oodles of potential. If he is very good, that can elevate a team beyond what you would expect. QB play is so massive. I am excited to see what he can be...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I think it's safe to say we don't know how good the OL nor the running game can be. Mo might not be an NFL caliber RB, but you don't just replace that type of player and they had some turnover at OL. AT WR they lost Mike Brown-Stephens, but Daniel Jackson could be very good and I believe they return Brevyn Spann-Ford at TE. Is Chris Autman-Bell back? And Dylan Wright needs to be more consistent.

On defense they lost Thomas Rush, Mariano Sori-Marin, Braelen Oliver, Michael Dixon, Terell Smith and Jordan Howden but I feel like the defense is better poised to be as good if not better than last season.

One man's opinion: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota ... 214549402/
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:20 am I think it's safe to say we don't know how good the OL nor the running game can be. Mo might not be an NFL caliber RB, but you don't just replace that type of player and they had some turnover at OL. AT WR they lost Mike Brown-Stephens, but Daniel Jackson could be very good and I believe they return Brevyn Spann-Ford at TE. Is Chris Autman-Bell back? And Dylan Wright needs to be more consistent.

On defense they lost Thomas Rush, Mariano Sori-Marin, Braelen Oliver, Michael Dixon, Terell Smith and Jordan Howden but I feel like the defense is better poised to be as good if not better than last season.

One man's opinion: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota ... 214549402/
Dylan Wright is long gone and Brown-Stephens was about 8 shades of worthless. Yes, they lose 3 starters on OL, but they have been recruiting that area hard and developing depth. True frosh from Prior Lake Greg Johnson probably doesn't redshirt. And that's not because they lack guys in front of him. He's been that good in camp.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Yeah I didn't mean to say Brown-Stephens was a big loss - more that it's not that big of a loss so WR/TE should be alright. And you're probably right about replenishing the OL.
Sportsrgreat

Post by Sportsrgreat »

If they lose to Nebraska it could be a long year.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Roster wise I feel pretty good about where we are, but the schedule is brutal. I’d be surprised if we win 8 games unless AK just balls out each game.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'll be on a plane sans WiFi for this one. I hope I land to a W
Let's get Tropical
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Predicting a 7 win season and then anotha bowl victory!