Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Statistically Speaking, This Is the Best Age to Claim Social Security Benefits

weimy froob

Statistically Speaking, This Is the Best Age to Claim Social Security Benefits

Post by weimy froob »

and It's Not Even Close.

you can take your social security as early as 62 years old--but which age should the majority of people take it to get their maximized benefits?

take a guess and then find out the answer in the article.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2023/07 ... gn=article
TCSports

Re: Statistically Speaking, This Is the Best Age to Claim Social Security Benefits

Post by TCSports »

I'm not even 40 yet and worry about this.

A silver lining is that, when I'm 70 (lord willing), I can still easily find work since there aren't enough young people to fill skilled labor roles.

So it's sad that I may not get what I've paid in, but all is not lost since I can still find a good job at 70+
weimy froob

Re: Statistically Speaking, This Is the Best Age to Claim Social Security Benefits

Post by weimy froob »

TCSports wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:31 am I'm not even 40 yet and worry about this.

A silver lining is that, when I'm 70 (lord willing), I can still easily find work since there aren't enough young people to fill skilled labor roles.

So it's sad that I may not get what I've paid in, but all is not lost since I can still find a good job at 70+
when i was in HS there was a line of thought that plenty of people subscribed to and they told me that social security wouldn't be around when it was my time to collect. that line of thought was wrong.

they might boost the age to collect full benefits in 20 years-but it'll be around for those that are going to be living longer than we are going to today. statistically speaking, of course.
TCSports

Post by TCSports »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:50 pm
TCSports wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:31 am I'm not even 40 yet and worry about this.

when i was in HS there was a line of thought that plenty of people subscribed to and they told me that social security wouldn't be around when it was my time to collect. that line of thought was wrong.

they might boost the age to collect full benefits in 20 years-but it'll be around for those that are going to be living longer than we are going to today. statistically speaking, of course.
That's a good point. Pushing the age higher is what will happen rather than just up and shutting er down. I'd better take care of my body so can collect those sweet government cheques!