Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Video game themed message board
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by Abe Froman »

Anyone picking this up tomorrow? I think I'm gonna swing by Walmart on the way to work to get a copy. The reviews are outstanding. Sounds like Breath of the Wild x10.
I made this!
YBBR

Re: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:00 pm Anyone picking this up tomorrow? I think I'm gonna swing by Walmart on the way to work to get a copy. The reviews are outstanding. Sounds like Breath of the Wild x10.
Seems neat. I've seen how they tripled down on all the emergent and systems stuff and tools from BoTW. Make yourself a flying contraption!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Breath of the Wild is the 19th best selling game of all-time. I don't think this hits 30+ million, but you never know.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Guys....

It's really really really good.
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

I'm really not sure how in the hell Nintendo made a game this good, this large, that works this well, in just 16gbs on cell phone hardware. It really makes me wonder just what in the hell every other dev is doing...
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

And it really makes the people who made the last Pokemon games look stupid as fuck.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:07 pm I'm really not sure how in the hell Nintendo made a game this good, this large, that works this well, in just 16gbs on cell phone hardware. It really makes me wonder just what in the hell every other dev is doing...
Resolution. 4K Assets vs whatever 720P/900P is an enormous gap in storage.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Playing this on a Switch, though, is kind of a bummer. That thing has the computing power of a toaster.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:15 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:07 pm I'm really not sure how in the hell Nintendo made a game this good, this large, that works this well, in just 16gbs on cell phone hardware. It really makes me wonder just what in the hell every other dev is doing...
I get that, AND you really have to play it for a while to get what I mean. Or, just want a review that's a decent length. The world is not only huge, but it's literally massive. There is Hyrule, but then an entire overworld and underworld to explore. The building mechanic is pretty damn cool as well. Honestly, I would be totally cool with them making the next 3 Zelda games using these assets and engine if they can create this unique and awesome of a game. Go play it!
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:25 pm Playing this on a Switch, though, is kind of a bummer. That thing has the computing power of a toaster.
True, yet it's a portable toaster that somehow is still pulling off a solid game of the year candidate and most likely one of the best games of the next decade.
I made this!
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:00 pm Anyone picking this up tomorrow? I think I'm gonna swing by Walmart on the way to work to get a copy. The reviews are outstanding. Sounds like Breath of the Wild x10.
So calling someone a jackass is cool now?
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:54 pm
So calling someone a jackass is cool now?
Read the rules, jackass
I made this!
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:53 pm
I get that, AND you really have to play it for a while to get what I mean. Or, just want a review that's a decent length. The world is not only huge, but it's literally massive. There is Hyrule, but then an entire overworld and underworld to explore. The building mechanic is pretty damn cool as well. Honestly, I would be totally cool with them making the next 3 Zelda games using these assets and engine if they can create this unique and awesome of a game. Go play it!
Dammit. I really need to get a Nintendo.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

salamander wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:59 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:53 pm

Dammit. I really need to get a Nintendo.
It's worth buying one for.
I made this!
That Tim Guy

Post by That Tim Guy »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:54 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:25 pm Playing this on a Switch, though, is kind of a bummer. That thing has the computing power of a toaster.
True, yet it's a portable toaster that somehow is still pulling off a solid game of the year candidate and most likely one of the best games of the next decade.
Did you play BOTW? Does anything done there carry over? I loved that game and I know I'll spend countless hours on this one.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

That Tim Guy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:57 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:54 pm
Did you play BOTW? Does anything done there carry over? I loved that game and I know I'll spend countless hours on this one.
At first it feels like the same game, and technically that is what this is. It's the sequel to botw. The gameplay and graphics feel and look the same, but if you spend just a little while exploring you will see it's like botw with a shit ton of stuff added. The entire world is so much more alive. There is shit to do everywhere, and while the overworld and underworld (which is literally just as large as Hyrule) are new, Hyrule itself really is quite a bit different from botw as well. The major things, like the castle and temple of time are where you expect, and there is a lot that will feel familiar, but there are also huge casms in the landscape and some areas have major climate changes.

I read somewhere that they actually aren't using botw's old engine for this and actually remade this game using the one from Splatoon 3 instead. Kinda crazy. It looks a lot alike, but maybe be that engine is more efficient or something. :shrug:
I made this!