Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

1st time on the course in 2022..

weimy froob

Re: 1st time on the course in 2022..

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:39 pm I am at the point of saying Fug It, playing golf for fun, and not worrying about my damn score. I shot an 84 today on a course I should routinely hit in the mid to upper 70s.
While driving home, I asked myself why I began golfing three years ago? The answer was that purring a 7 iron and watching it fly 170 yards was fun. Since then, I have been chasing the elusive Break 100, then Break 90 (which I can do routinely) the break 80 ( which I have done once or twice). The reality is, that I am a bogey or par (at best) golfer and will remain that way unless I get coaching and dedicate hours of time to improve my game--of which I do not have.

I might as well just enjoy my time on the course.
how old are you? breaking 80 after three years of playing is real good. in fact, breaking 80 is the best goal for the vast majority of golfers who take the game "seriously". once richard nixon did it he never played again. once you've done it--you've done it and the game can't take that from you.

if you are obsessed with score 90 percent plus of your time dedicated to improving your game should be focused in on the 150 yards and in shots. that's where practically all of the saved shots are. learn to chip and putt like a wizard. read bob rotella's golf is not a game of perfect book. it's all about target. also harvey penick's little red book is a good read. pick that one up too.

but the alternative is being able to not worry about your "damn score" and just enjoy the walk and watching the flight of the ball. golf is also a game you can come back to even if you take a break for years. if you're beating yourself up about score--the other alternative is taking a break from it.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:56 pm
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:39 pm I am at the point of saying Fug It, playing golf for fun, and not worrying about my damn score. I shot an 84 today on a course I should routinely hit in the mid to upper 70s.
While driving home, I asked myself why I began golfing three years ago? The answer was that purring a 7 iron and watching it fly 170 yards was fun. Since then, I have been chasing the elusive Break 100, then Break 90 (which I can do routinely) the break 80 ( which I have done once or twice). The reality is, that I am a bogey or par (at best) golfer and will remain that way unless I get coaching and dedicate hours of time to improve my game--of which I do not have.

how old are you? breaking 80 after three years of playing is real good. in fact, breaking 80 is the best goal for the vast majority of golfers who take the game "seriously". once richard nixon did it he never played again. once you've done it--you've done it and the game can't take that from you.

if you are obsessed with score 90 percent plus of your time dedicated to improving your game should be focused in on the 150 yards and in shots. that's where practically all of the saved shots are. learn to chip and putt like a wizard. read bob rotella's golf is not a game of perfect book. it's all about target. also harvey penick's little red book is a good read. pick that one up too.

but the alternative is being able to not worry about your "damn score" and just enjoy the walk and watching the flight of the ball. golf is also a game you can come back to even if you take a break for years. if you're beating yourself up about score--the other alternative is taking a break from it.
I am 47. I go to the driving range at my local course 5 days per week for an hour at a time and work on various aspects of my game. 1 day I will concentrate on shots 100 yards in. Other days I will work on my mid-irons while other days I will focus on fairway woods or driver.

Sometimes on the range, I will play a "simulated" game in that I pretend I have Par 5 or Par 3 or Par 4 and then hit my second shot based upon the result of my 1st shot. I go this route so I have confidence in my game/swing when I go play 18. There are some shots that I really struggle with such as a side hill lie, or ball below my feet, and above my feet, or a 50 yard chip. These I can't really practice on the range and it's swing and hope for the best.

My game in July 2022 is far better than it was in May 2019. So I have to think of the improvements I have made. Every now and again, all aspects of my game comes together and break 80. My problem is that since I have broke 80 a couple of times then I should be able to do every single time. Well that just is not the case in golf since golf is fugging difficult.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 am
weimy froob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:56 pm

I am 47. I go to the driving range at my local course 5 days per week for an hour at a time and work on various aspects of my game. 1 day I will concentrate on shots 100 yards in. Other days I will work on my mid-irons while other days I will focus on fairway woods or driver.

Sometimes on the range, I will play a "simulated" game in that I pretend I have Par 5 or Par 3 or Par 4 and then hit my second shot based upon the result of my 1st shot. I go this route so I have confidence in my game/swing when I go play 18. There are some shots that I really struggle with such as a side hill lie, or ball below my feet, and above my feet, or a 50 yard chip. These I can't really practice on the range and it's swing and hope for the best.

My game in July 2022 is far better than it was in May 2019. So I have to think of the improvements I have made. Every now and again, all aspects of my game comes together and break 80. My problem is that since I have broke 80 a couple of times then I should be able to do every single time. Well that just is not the case in golf since golf is fugging difficult.
of course. since a pro shot a 59 should he expect to do that every time? that's the equivilent pressure you're putting on yourself and your game. if you're hitting it decent off the tee then the suggestion i made to you is the one you're going to get the most strokes saved for time invested. in fact, just practicing around the putting green would probably be enough. everybody wants to practice their full swings though. what you do with that is groove your swing--imperfections and all. so hours doing that aren't going to necessarily help you out very much. a flaw in the golf swing grooved is a big problem.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

golf is hard because every shot is different, even if you play the same course over and over.

I have shot a 77 at Como and the next day a 90.
I have shot 86 at Deacons Lodge and a 102

Even the humidity will effect your game.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Weimy Froob,

Thank you for the advice. I am unsure if you are a veteran of golf but you provided a perspective that I had not previously considered.

I go to the range and practice a variety of shots since, taking up the game in 2019, I am self-taught. Never had a lesson. Rather, I would watch You Tube videos from Rick Shiels or MeMyGolf or the Golf Channell and then go to the range and figure it out. My goal in 2019 was to consistently make solid contact with my irons. Eventually, I did with 6 through Wedges via daily time on the range but struggle with my 4 and 5 iron. I purchased a used driver for $100 on Global Golf but sprayed that all over the place.

I did not play much in 2020 because I was working from home and decided to remodel my upstairs and downstairs.

In 2021, I purchased a 4 wood with the hope I could hit that off the deck since I was unable to hit my 4 or 5 iron consistently. With lots of range time I eventually was able to hit my 4 wood off the deck. I played a lot in 2021 and ended up using the aforementioned 4 wood as a driver since I could hit it straight 200-220 vs spraying my driver all over the place. The light bulb dinged off for me and my crazy thinking was how much better my golf game could be if I could drive 250 -270 which leaves me with a mid-iron or short-iron instead of a long iron ( 4 or 5 iron) onto the green.

So last December I got fitted for a driver and in addition, I purchased a 3 wood. Both of which, I have been practicing on the range this season in an attempt to consistently hit my driver in the fairway along with teeing off with 3 wood (when needed) and 3 wood off the deck (primarily as a 2nd shot on Par 5s). The result is better than expected as I can hit my driver 270-280 and 3 wood off the deck roughly 230-240 which means I can reach the green in 2 on Par 5s. Upon playing this year, I have been able to do so at times when playing 18 holes. So I know I can do it.

My point with this long doctorate-esque dissertation is, all I know is go to the range with the mentality that practice doesn't make perfect. Rather, perfect practice makes perfect. If I had an ugly shot on the range then I would make basic adjustments to my grip or move the ball back in my stance or decrease the width of my stance. I am not one of those guys who grabs 2 buckets of balls and only hits driver, or the guy that swings 1 after another after another. I practice like I play in that I take a break between swings similar on the course. I love spending time on the range since hard-work and attention to detail are my keys to success. I enjoy the grind, the sweat, the frustration, the turmoil, and the satisfaction when my game improves. That is the reason why I go to the range.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 pm Weimy Froob,

Thank you for the advice. I am unsure if you are a veteran of golf but you provided a perspective that I had not previously considered.

I go to the range and practice a variety of shots since, taking up the game in 2019, I am self-taught. Never had a lesson. Rather, I would watch You Tube videos from Rick Shiels or MeMyGolf or the Golf Channell and then go to the range and figure it out. My goal in 2019 was to consistently make solid contact with my irons. Eventually, I did with 6 through Wedges via daily time on the range but struggle with my 4 and 5 iron. I purchased a used driver for $100 on Global Golf but sprayed that all over the place.

I did not play much in 2020 because I was working from home and decided to remodel my upstairs and downstairs.

In 2021, I purchased a 4 wood with the hope I could hit that off the deck since I was unable to hit my 4 or 5 iron consistently. With lots of range time I eventually was able to hit my 4 wood off the deck. I played a lot in 2021 and ended up using the aforementioned 4 wood as a driver since I could hit it straight 200-220 vs spraying my driver all over the place. The light bulb dinged off for me and my crazy thinking was how much better my golf game could be if I could drive 250 -270 which leaves me with a mid-iron or short-iron instead of a long iron ( 4 or 5 iron) onto the green.

So last December I got fitted for a driver and in addition, I purchased a 3 wood. Both of which, I have been practicing on the range this season in an attempt to consistently hit my driver in the fairway along with teeing off with 3 wood (when needed) and 3 wood off the deck (primarily as a 2nd shot on Par 5s). The result is better than expected as I can hit my driver 270-280 and 3 wood off the deck roughly 230-240 which means I can reach the green in 2 on Par 5s. Upon playing this year, I have been able to do so at times when playing 18 holes. So I know I can do it.

My point with this long doctorate-esque dissertation is, all I know is go to the range with the mentality that practice doesn't make perfect. Rather, perfect practice makes perfect. If I had an ugly shot on the range then I would make basic adjustments to my grip or move the ball back in my stance or decrease the width of my stance. I am not one of those guys who grabs 2 buckets of balls and only hits driver, or the guy that swings 1 after another after another. I practice like I play in that I take a break between swings similar on the course. I love spending time on the range since hard-work and attention to detail are my keys to success. I enjoy the grind, the sweat, the frustration, the turmoil, and the satisfaction when my game improves. That is the reason why I go to the range.
your range work is kind of hoganesque. you should really pick up his five lessons book this winter. he was all about the long game. the answers are all in the dirt.

Whenever Ben Hogan was asked about the “secret” for his consistency on the golf course, he would answer,

“I dug it out of the dirt.”

That is golf-speak referring to the countless hours he spent on the driving range honing the perfect swing. Even more importantly, however, that practice built a swing that he could replicate with the upmost confidence coming down the stretch of a major championship.

Yes, Hogan had a few basic swing principles that he developed over the years, but it wasn’t one specific secret. The arduous practice sessions made him confident, that even under the most extreme pressure, he could hit any shot he needed.

The second lesson from Ben Hogan is given in his explanation of how he figured out the nuances of his golf swing. Hogan stated that he “ dug the answers out of the dirt”. You too can do so as the dirt, or the divot hole that you leave in the ground, hides a lot of information that pertains to your swing.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:22 pm
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:06 pm Weimy Froob,

your range work is kind of hoganesque. you should really pick up his five lessons book this winter. he was all about the long game. the answers are all in the dirt.

Whenever Ben Hogan was asked about the “secret” for his consistency on the golf course, he would answer,

“I dug it out of the dirt.”

That is golf-speak referring to the countless hours he spent on the driving range honing the perfect swing. Even more importantly, however, that practice built a swing that he could replicate with the upmost confidence coming down the stretch of a major championship.

Yes, Hogan had a few basic swing principles that he developed over the years, but it wasn’t one specific secret. The arduous practice sessions made him confident, that even under the most extreme pressure, he could hit any shot he needed.

The second lesson from Ben Hogan is given in his explanation of how he figured out the nuances of his golf swing. Hogan stated that he “ dug the answers out of the dirt”. You too can do so as the dirt, or the divot hole that you leave in the ground, hides a lot of information that pertains to your swing.
That is exactly why I spend so much time on the range all in an effort to build muscle memory (aka a repeatable swing) and just trust the work that I have put in akin to MLB players during Spring Training or NFL Players during OTA's and Training Camp. That is how I envision my range sessions.

I don't take divots as the pro golfers do, rather, I bruise the grass on all my irons ideally after I strike the ball but not always. And yes, I do notice the path of a said bruise after the swing and make slight adjustments. For example, yesterday I went to the range to work on my 7 iron - 9 iron and focused/alligned to the 150 yard sign. The first couple of 9 iron swings demonstrated the ball flight left of target and the bruise pointed left. My small adjustment was to weaken my grip slightly and then I was hitting 9-7 very solid.

But, your point of working on chipping and putting has not been lost. So I would like to say thank you since sadly I do not practice that as much as I should. But that is a big part of the game.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Played 18 today for the 1st time in a month. 41 on the front 9 and 36 on the back resulting in a massive boner for yours truly. During the back 9, I changed the putter grip from inter-locking to a baseball grip all the while placing my right fore-finger on the shaft ( that is what she said) which resulted in huge difference. Instead of 3 putting, I was able to control the backswing more efficiently resulting in 2 putts.

Goal for next season is: Play from the tees which are the furthest back which will challenge my game. Can't Wait ( Bart Scott voice)
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:02 pm Played 18 today for the 1st time in a month. 41 on the front 9 and 36 on the back resulting in a massive boner for yours truly. During the back 9, I changed the putter grip from inter-locking to a baseball grip all the while placing my right fore-finger on the shaft ( that is what she said) which resulted in huge difference. Instead of 3 putting, I was able to control the backswing more efficiently resulting in 2 putts.

Goal for next season is: Play from the tees which are the furthest back which will challenge my game. Can't Wait ( Bart Scott voice)
Beautiful day for golf!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

I played Emily Greens Last monday and still have the lefts! Put 8 balls into the woods.
Headed up to Grand Rapids and didnt play the rest of the week. Back is still tweeked.
My plan was to play Pokegama, Eagle Ridge and Blueberry hills and try to get it straightened out and then head to Superior National.
Friday the back was just bugging me, so I came home. Got my office set back up and the first thing I see on Facebook is Superior National is staring aeration this week and my fav part of the course is closed till Thursday. I would have been pissed.

Back to the chiro today!
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Drove out to Annandale and played Soutbrook yesterday. Cool course in immaculate condition! Royally futzed up 2 par 5's as my drive went into the rough. And the rough there is as thick as an 80's Porn-star bush. I made the mistake not once but twice to muscle out of the rough--which resulted in a shank and going from the left rough to the right rough. Ended up with an 85 from the furthest tee box which I consider a quasi-success since I have never played that course before.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

We are going to see if 2 weeks off made me forget the lefts. Red Wing Today.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Other then dragging myself around Superior National in the next couple of weeks, im done for the year.
Not one enjoyable round. Time to spend the off season getting stronger and let my achilles rest.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:45 pm Other then dragging myself around Superior National in the next couple of weeks, im done for the year.
Not one enjoyable round. Time to spend the off season getting stronger and let my achilles rest.
I feel you brutha! My round today was beyond awful. I played from the black tee's on a course I have played several times. Didn't keep score ( and thankfully I didn't) since I would have double-bogeyed or triple-bogeyed every hole except the 2 I got par. It was the the ol every other shot was good. I.e. Top my drive 100 yards on a 550 par 5, nail a 3 wood off the deck, then shank an approach shot. Or, nail my drive on a par 4, then thin a 7 iron across the green, chip on, and 3 putt for a double. Felt like I was topping/thinning most of my shots and considering calling the FBI since maybe they can find my swing before they find DB Cooper :lol: :lol
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:59 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:45 pm Other then dragging myself around Superior National in the next couple of weeks, im done for the year.
I feel you brutha! My round today was beyond awful. I played from the black tee's on a course I have played several times. Didn't keep score ( and thankfully I didn't) since I would have double-bogeyed or triple-bogeyed every hole except the 2 I got par. It was the the ol every other shot was good. I.e. Top my drive 100 yards on a 550 par 5, nail a 3 wood off the deck, then shank an approach shot. Or, nail my drive on a par 4, then thin a 7 iron across the green, chip on, and 3 putt for a double. Felt like I was topping/thinning most of my shots and considering calling the FBI since maybe they can find my swing before they find DB Cooper :lol: :lol
that's a version of what we called the recipe (for a double). on in three and three putt.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:45 pm
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:59 pm
that's a version of what we called the recipe (for a double). on in three and three putt.
:lol: :lol: the recipe. funny chit, I love it
WannaBeProGolferGuy

My frustration with golf is at an all-time sky-high. Took the day off work and played yesterday which went over like a fart in church. Spraying my driver and 3-wood off the tee box all over the place. Slice Right, hook left. When I did manage a few nice tee shots my approach shots were chunked or thinned or mis-judged the distance. Basically, every other shot was good. I did manage 2 birdies and a few pars but threw up a couple double-digits with the aforementioned errand tee-shots.

Went to the range today after logging off the salt-mines to work on my game. Lo and behold, much of the same. 2 good shots then chunk 1 and then top 1. I think my fault is that I try swing way way way too hard. Which I know. However, when I get in that mode (swinging to hard) I find it very difficult to get out of that mode.

Anyway, thanks for listening!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

i have decided im not even going to play SNL. Leaving the clubs at home. I will go drive around on the course to take some pictures that I will need for later. If I play I will just fuck my back or achilles worse.
Part of this trip is to take some time off and relax. I dont want to fuck something up so I can not do that.
Golf season is over.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Over the last month I've been on the range 22 times and played 6 times. It's starting to come together for me. Down to an 11.5. Goal is mid singles by next spring.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Billy Ray wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:00 pm Over the last month I've been on the range 22 times and played 6 times. It's starting to come together for me. Down to an 11.5. Goal is mid singles by next spring.
That is awesome!! And good for you. Golf is difficult and any small win is a win. Keep it up and let us golf nerds know of your success
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:39 pm
Billy Ray wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:00 pm Over the last month I've been on the range 22 times and played 6 times. It's starting to come together for me. Down to an 11.5. Goal is mid singles by next spring.
That is awesome!! And good for you. Golf is difficult and any small win is a win. Keep it up and let us golf nerds know of your success
Thanks. The key for me is eliminating the doubles+. Pars and bogies right now. One mistake per hole. Summer is my off season so I'll be getting into real golf this winter.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Billy Ray wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Thanks. The key for me is eliminating the doubles+. Pars and bogies right now. One mistake per hole. Summer is my off season so I'll be getting into real golf this winter.
Yeppers. Double Bogey = a bad shot plus a bad decision. Eliminate the bad decision
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:12 pm
Billy Ray wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:56 pm

Yeppers. Double Bogey = a bad shot plus a bad decision. Eliminate the bad decision
You ever open a round with a triple? You're thinking here we go. I did a couple weeks ago, ended up shooting a 39 on that front. Never give up.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Bemidji T & C looks like a fun course. Rolling fairways, and lots elevation changes. Would have been a great day to play yesterday, but I could only look at it. On to Superior National to look around on Monday. This sucks.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

This F"king game of golf has me so jacked up in the head!! I played today and had a howitzer of a drive and absolutely crushing my irons. Carded an 81. 2 drives were almost 300 yards. Couple birdies and several pars. I only futzed up 2 holes with double bogey

1 week ago I played a new course and would have probably been in triple digits ( thank god I didn't keep score) since I was spraying my driver left and then right, topping my irons, and chunking my approach shots.

Da Fuq?
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

complete torture to drive around on Superior National last week. Just a hint of color on the course, most of it up on the top of ski hill as a back drop.
Chatted with several groups, some were first time at the course. Stood on the 16th Tee Box for a good 30 minutes just taking it all in. The river running down and across 14 with the red leaves as the back drop.
Watching player take the shot at the par 3 15th. From my point the green is well below me as it is for the players across the river on the side of the hill. Playing that drop is a tough one for many with the river in front of the green. Several balls in to the water. After 3 in a row I watched a guy go back to the cart for a different club. Well he went strong and landed it on the 14th tee.

Off to to the 17th, another big drop par 3 with the lake as your backdrop and the river behind this green.
Pin tucked back right on this big green means you need to swing a bit harder. Most people left themselves a long birdie putt.

Most likely the last golf course I will step foot on this year.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Last round of the year, scored an 86. Could have been an 80 but royally futzed up 3 drives which went Out of Bounds. However, on a good note I birdied #18 which was a 560 par 5. Destroyed my drive, followed by bludgeoning a 5 iron ( which never happens), then did the ol bump and run with a 7 iron to within 4 feet of the pin, tapped in for birdie which for me is a great way to finish the golf season!!

Happy Day Rubes, Happy Day!!!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:43 pm Last round of the year, scored an 86. Could have been an 80 but royally futzed up 3 drives which went Out of Bounds. However, on a good note I birdied #18 which was a 560 par 5. Destroyed my drive, followed by bludgeoning a 5 iron ( which never happens), then did the ol bump and run with a 7 iron to within 4 feet of the pin, tapped in for birdie which for me is a great way to finish the golf season!!

pretty windy yesterday. you have the wind at your back on 18?
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:39 am
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:43 pm Last round of the year, scored an 86. Could have been an 80 but royally futzed up 3 drives which went Out of Bounds. However, on a good note I birdied #18 which was a 560 par 5. Destroyed my drive, followed by bludgeoning a 5 iron ( which never happens), then did the ol bump and run with a 7 iron to within 4 feet of the pin, tapped in for birdie which for me is a great way to finish the golf season!!

pretty windy yesterday. you have the wind at your back on 18?
Yep sure did. I utilized my resources ( 30mph wind gust) to aid in my distance :D