Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ford vs. Chevy

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Ford vs. Chevy

Post by cmd24 »

I’ve been kicking around getting rid of my Avalanche, and I’m actually looking at some Fords. I’ve never personally owned anything but GM. And, I have to be honest. That weighs on my mind, when looking at making the change. Around here, it’s like sacrilege going from one to the other. But damn, do I like the way the Fords drive, and how quiet they are!
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Sarge

Re: Ford vs. Chevy

Post by Sarge »

New or used?

If it has tits or a steering wheel, it's gonna give you problems. Just stay away from the 5.4 engine or those stupid EcoBoost grenade engines. Find a 5.0 and you'll be ok.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

Sarge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm New or used?

If it has tits or a steering wheel, it's gonna give you problems. Just stay away from the 5.4 engine or those stupid EcoBoost grenade engines. Find a 5.0 and you'll be ok.
WAt?
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

cmd24 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 pm I’ve been kicking around getting rid of my Avalanche, and I’m actually looking at some Fords. I’ve never personally owned anything but GM. And, I have to be honest. That weighs on my mind, when looking at making the change. Around here, it’s like sacrilege going from one to the other. But damn, do I like the way the Fords drive, and how quiet they are!
Overall, I think Ford has been doing better work in the last 10ish years.

There are certain cars from GM that I can hear an argument for over their Ford competitors; namely, the Camero, Silverado, their EVs and the Corvette (although Ford doesn't really have a direct competitor for it).

The cars from GM that I have personally driven have been pretty bad to drive though, I thought.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am
cmd24 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 pm I’ve been kicking around getting rid of my Avalanche, and I’m actually looking at some Fords. I’ve never personally owned anything but GM. And, I have to be honest. That weighs on my mind, when looking at making the change. Around here, it’s like sacrilege going from one to the other. But damn, do I like the way the Fords drive, and how quiet they are!

There are certain cars from GM that I can hear an argument for over their Ford competitors; namely, the Camero, Silverado, their EVs and the Corvette (although Ford doesn't really have a direct competitor for it).

The cars from GM that I have personally driven have been pretty bad to drive though, I thought.
I stumbled across a GMC that might be in the running now, as well as an F-150 I'm looking at. The aluminum body on the Ford is really intriguing because of the rust factor. I do like the room in the F-150's, but I've only ever had GM vehicles, so there's that whole thing going on. I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but you know how it goes with vehicles.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

cmd24 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:41 am
Cobey wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am

I stumbled across a GMC that might be in the running now, as well as an F-150 I'm looking at. The aluminum body on the Ford is really intriguing because of the rust factor. I do like the room in the F-150's, but I've only ever had GM vehicles, so there's that whole thing going on. I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but you know how it goes with vehicles.
As far as trucks go, it's kind of a "dealers choice" type situation. Each brand will have things it does well and things it does not so well, at least to my understanding.
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

The Lizard King wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:15 am
Sarge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm New or used?

WAt?
If it floats, flies, or fucks just rent the damn thing for a weekend.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

I settled in a GMC Sierra SLT, with the AFM in it. Mixed reviews, from other people, it appears, on the AFM. Some people hate how it switches back and forth from a V8 to a V4, others say they don’t even notice. I have no real opinion as of yet, since I’ve only had it since Thursday.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

cmd24 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm I settled in a GMC Sierra SLT, with the AFM in it. Mixed reviews, from other people, it appears, on the AFM. Some people hate how it switches back and forth from a V8 to a V4, others say they don’t even notice. I have no real opinion as of yet, since I’ve only had it since Thursday.
How are you liking it so far?? When I got my 2018 F-150 I had issues with it shifting from 2-4 (10 speed), almost kinda clunky. It took me a few months to figure out it had the adaptive shifting where it learns how to drive according to the driver's habits I asked the dealer to disable it and it drives so much better. I'm guessing the AFM could also be disabled if you're not happy with it.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:59 am
cmd24 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm I settled in a GMC Sierra SLT, with the AFM in it. Mixed reviews, from other people, it appears, on the AFM. Some people hate how it switches back and forth from a V8 to a V4, others say they don’t even notice. I have no real opinion as of yet, since I’ve only had it since Thursday.
How are you liking it so far?? When I got my 2018 F-150 I had issues with it shifting from 2-4 (10 speed), almost kinda clunky. It took me a few months to figure out it had the adaptive shifting where it learns how to drive according to the driver's habits I asked the dealer to disable it and it drives so much better. I'm guessing the AFM could also be disabled if you're not happy with it.
Mostly unnoticeable, to be honest. But, keep in mind I work one mile from my house, so my highway miles aren’t consistent enough to get a great opinion.