Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Music can be as addictive as fast food, money, and alcohol

Music forum.
weimy froob

Music can be as addictive as fast food, money, and alcohol

Post by weimy froob »

MONTREAL, Quebec — No matter what people are doing, from driving to working out, many simply have to hear music while they do it. A new study finds the reason for this lies in the reward center of the brain. McGill University researchers say the findings reveal how music can be as addictive as fast food, money, and even alcohol.

Scientists explain that pleasant tunes trigger an area of the brain called the nucleus accumbens — the reward center. Using scans, scientists discovered firing up the neurons increased a listener’s enjoyment. On the other hand, pleasure dropped when researchers dampened these nerve cells.

The more participants appreciated the sounds, the more their brain lit up with pleasure. Activity with auditory areas of grey matter “became synchronized,” the Canadian team reports.

Music makes the brain feel good

https://www.studyfinds.org/music-addict ... d-alcohol/

i'm addicted to music. and cheese.
Beef Supreme

Re: Music can be as addictive as fast food, money, and alcohol

Post by Beef Supreme »

More so for me.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

I go to youtube and find songs but I don't really like the videos, it's just the way it is now unless you tons of vinyl, cassettes or God-forbid 8 tracks. It's the easiest way to listen to the music and I usually switch off the video because all I want is the music.
This song is one of a million songs, and I don't need the video.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm listening to music for most of my waking day. i don't listen to talk radio, sports talk and watch very, very little t.v. i exercise with my ear buds in. i remember when i had to get used to walking the dog without music because the ipod wouldn't stay charged in the winter months because it's ancient. it was actually nice to do--psychologically gearing up for it was the hard part.

i have it on when i'm reading--though that's the frank sinatra channel. in the past it's been the classical music station as well. but i like it as background noise. i think i fit the description of being addicted--it makes my brain feel good.
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i've been hooked on the deep tracks channel on siriusxm lately. i hadn't listened to it for years--and it sure wasn't as eclectic as it is now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

playing "and it stoned me" right now. i guess this is a deep track--because they're not going to play it on their classic vinyl station. i think i'll be locked in on on this channel for awhile.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"giving the dog a bone". this is the channel that opens up the playlist. they played a different song off of "freewheelin'" earlier in honor of it being released on this date in 1963. dave matthews extended version of cortez about an hour ago. i like this station.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm listening to this guy's show. he's doing "ballad" songs to close out his evening. the ballad of curtis lowe playing right now. followed by the ballad of hollis brown, the ghost of tom joad and i forgot the next one he mentioned--but it's another good one. when it plays--i'll come back to the thread and mention it. here's his bio.

Monday - Friday 5pm - 9pm ET
Legendary Southern California classic rock DJ Jim Ladd brings his free-form radio show to Deep Tracks. Join Jim as he broadcasts from Los Angeles, where he’ll craft unique musically themed sets, as he’s done since the start of his career. For more on Jim Ladd, find him on twitter
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nina simone singing hollis brown. i never have heard this version before.

pete seeger and bruce for ghost.

and the song i forgot--the ballad of frankie lee and judas priest off of the john wesley harding album. great set.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:36 am playing "and it stoned me" right now. i guess this is a deep track--because they're not going to play it on their classic vinyl station. i think i'll be locked in on on this channel for awhile.
Van Morrison version?

One of his best songs ever.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

cmd24 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:13 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:36 am playing "and it stoned me" right now. i guess this is a deep track--because they're not going to play it on their classic vinyl station. i think i'll be locked in on on this channel for awhile.
Van Morrison version?

yep.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:18 pm
cmd24 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:13 pm
Van Morrison version?

yep.
I love Van the Man. So many good songs. Almost perfect "sitting on the patio with a drink" music.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

jazzguy geeked out on music back in the '70s and hasnt stopped (at least until teh pandemic). I'd move to a lake cabin if I didnt have the live music listening/playing habit.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

realjazzguy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:05 pm jazzguy geeked out on music back in the '70s and hasnt stopped (at least until teh pandemic). I'd move to a lake cabin if I didnt have the live music listening/playing habit.
do you use your listening to your favorite sports station as a way to keep you from spending all your waking time with your music addiction? i can't see how you'd rather listen to common/barrerrio than good tunes.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I would imagine that it would be quite annoying for someone who suffers from alcohol addiction to be told that music is just as addictive.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 pm I would imagine that it would be quite annoying for someone who suffers from alcohol addiction to be told that music is just as addictive.
You ever suck dick for music?
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Breathing is addictive too.

Ugh, you're still breathing? That's so mainstream.

Unless you think music can be as harmful as fast food or alcohol this really doesn't make sense.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm i'm listening to this guy's show. he's doing "ballad" songs to close out his evening. the ballad of curtis lowe playing right now. followed by the ballad of hollis brown, the ghost of tom joad and i forgot the next one he mentioned--but it's another good one. when it plays--i'll come back to the thread and mention it. here's his bio.

Monday - Friday 5pm - 9pm ET
Legendary Southern California classic rock DJ Jim Ladd brings his free-form radio show to Deep Tracks. Join Jim as he broadcasts from Los Angeles, where he’ll craft unique musically themed sets, as he’s done since the start of his career. For more on Jim Ladd, find him on twitter
still listening--hate to miss it. real good show this afternoon. i can't remember all the good tunes he's played--but a few of them were copperhead road, season of the witch and whipping post just wrapped up. mexicali blues right now.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

how about tonight's the night about 15 minutes ago and desolation row playing now? deep tracks.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

everybody knows this is nowhere.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ladd playing whole lotta shaking going on. jerry lee is a mean old man. still kicking.

and a half hour later walk on followed by idiot wind. great show today jim. again.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ladd playing smells like teen spirit. i heard frank sinatra played earlier too. the summer wind. great station.

7:55 and he's ending his program with blackfoot's highway song. another solid show, jim.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

I listen to somewhere between 8-12 hours of music per day while working, depending upon whether or not I have any podcasts to roll through. It is a routine for me. I can quit whenever I want, though!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jim with an excellent program this tuesday. now playing the ghost of tom joad--pete and bruce. earlier in his hope segment that were all songs requested by his listeners he finished it with monty python's always look on the bright side of life. lulz.

"You come from nothing, You go back to nothing, What have you lost? Nothing!"

edit: how about woody guthrie's farmer-labor train? you got it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the new place has a sun room--perfect location to put the bose speaker for my first generation ipod. i've been listening to plenty of johnny, merle, bob and neil. right now "hard rain".

still listening to jim's afternoon show too.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:45 pm the new place has a sun room--perfect location to put the bose speaker for my first generation ipod. i've been listening to plenty of johnny, merle, bob and neil. right now "hard rain".

still listening to jim's afternoon show too.
Wife & I are currently having our next house built. My entire thought process/concerns boiled down to making sure the garage is deep enough so I can park the boat straight in so it doesn't take up 2 stalls and good locations on the main floor and the basement for a record player and associated equipment. Once I verified those boxes were checked, I was content.