Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Boxing is Dead

beetlebum71

Boxing is Dead

Post by beetlebum71 »

When Jake and Logan Paul are the biggest draws your sport has to offer, and Chad Ochocinco is the undercard on a major PPV slate, you know your sport is fucked.
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Boxing is Dead

Post by Cobey »

Boxing very well may be the future again though as it pertains to combat sports...very soon. MMA's pay scale is not going to be appealing to potential future talent.
salamander

Post by salamander »

They could fix this shit if they put a few fights on local stations. Doesn't even need to be the title bouts.
Maybe throw a bone once a year and put a title bout on local TV.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:44 am When Jake and Logan Paul are the biggest draws your sport has to offer, and Chad Ochocinco is the undercard on a major PPV slate, you know your sport is fucked.
Lol. I love when people who know nothing about boxing, talk about the state of the sport.

There has already been bigger boxing events this year.

Mayweather and Paul actually was a huge dud. No one showed up and PPV buys were poor.

You do know Ali once fought a Chi Bear and it was a big spectacle.

If Logan Paul decided to fight an MMA match, it would be their biggest event of the year also. Except they wouldn't have gotten paid half of what they made in boxing. :lol:

There are two fights this summer that with both be bigger than the Paul fight.

Fury vs Wilder 3 and Pacquio vs Spence. Canelo and BJS broke the largest indoor boxing attendance record in U.S. history in May.

The MMGay fighters have to come to boxing to even gain a respectable payday.

Maywesther vs Paul was a bigger talker than any MMGay fight that went on recently too. Their is a large group of young people that will watch these Paul guys take a shit. I don't know nothing about them and I don't care.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 pm They could fix this shit if they put a few fights on local stations. Doesn't even need to be the title bouts.
I don't know what you mean about "Local" tv but they show plenty of good fights on ESPN and FOX.

Maybe the top billed fight last year was supposed to be on PPV but with ESPN not having much sports to play with the pandemic, they gave it out for free.

Having boxing on regular TV is cool and all but nothing beat watching on HBO or Showtime. The production qualities are on a different level. There is more boxing on regular tv than MMA that i am aware of. Is MMA even on TV anymore or.is it all on ESPN+ app?

Boxing also isn't a league. These crappy reality star fights or whagever they are, are exhibitions and really have nothing to do with the sport.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dallas from Austin

Post by Dallas from Austin »

The opposite is true really. All the boxing fans who loved the sport before the Paul boys showed up still do, and now tons of teenagers/young adults tune in to see their Youtube heroes KO UFC clowns and stuff.

I think it's hilarious having the Paul boys around. When Jake Paul showed up for his little photoshoot with Woodley wearing the Mickey Mouse outfit saying "I'm a Disney kid" that was awesome. It's like bringing a bit of WWE into boxing.
Dallas from Austin

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 pm They could fix this shit if they put a few fights on local stations. Doesn't even need to be the title bouts.

For sure! Putting a heavyweight title fight on prime time on Fox or something would rule.

As it is now, you need to spend like $200/month if you want to watch all the boxing matches.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dallas from Austin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 pm

For sure! Putting a heavyweight title fight on prime time on Fox or something would rule.

As it is now, you need to spend like $200/month if you want to watch all the boxing matches.
I mean to be fair, Fury vs Wilder has been the only really good HW matchup in years. Hopefully Joshua gets in the mix soon.

We got Teofimo vs Loma free last year and that was great. Many of the casuals only care to watch heavyweights though.

Fury vs Wilder 3 actually has a good under card this time.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dallas from Austin

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm

I mean to be fair, Fury vs Wilder has been the only really good HW matchup in years. Hopefully Joshua gets in the mix soon.

We got Teofimo vs Loma free last year and that was great. Many of the casuals only care to watch heavyweights though.

Yeah, it's a shame Jarrell Miller couldn't lay off the PEDs b/c he'd be an awesome American HW for casuals to enjoy watching in prime time. Miller resembles the D-linemen of most casuals' favorite sport, so they'd probably love watching him.

It will rule if Wilder performs better than last time and makes a good fight out of it
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dallas from Austin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 am

Yeah, it's a shame Jarrell Miller couldn't lay off the PEDs b/c he'd be an awesome American HW for casuals to enjoy watching in prime time. Miller resembles the D-linemen of most casuals' favorite sport, so they'd probably love watching him.

It will rule if Wilder performs better than last time and makes a good fight out of it
I hope Wilder KO's him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I hope Wilder KO's him.
Gypsy King FTW!

Fuck Wilder.
Dallas from Austin

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I hope Wilder KO's him.
Same here! I'll be happy as fuck if Wilder just levels him and shuts him the fuck up