Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anyone change tires themselves?

Cars, bikes, and other things you work on in the garage.
DonaldDouchebag

Anyone change tires themselves?

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Just did it this weekend. It's a total pain in the ass but it's kinda fun when you get good at it. I use a manual dismounter and a tire changer from Harbor Freight and a little bubble balancer.

Best part is spraying carb cleaner in the tire to make an explosion to seat the bead. :D
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Sarge

Re: Anyone change tires themselves?

Post by Sarge »

A few times at home on my old crap I don't give a shit about.

Countless truck tires at work. Old school two tire bar method. Don't enjoy it, usually make the young whipper snapper do it while I stand nearby and make "looks like a monkey fucking a football" comments.

Never volunteer to change all 6 on a Mitsubishi Fuso while hungover in the Florida July heat.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
DonaldDouchebag

Sarge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:28 pm A few times at home on my old crap I don't give a shit about.

Countless truck tires at work. Old school two tire bar method. Don't enjoy it, usually make the young whipper snapper do it while I stand nearby and make "looks like a monkey fucking a football" comments.

Never volunteer to change all 6 on a Mitsubishi Fuso while hungover in the Florida July heat.
Jesus. Little dinky passenger tires are hard enough.

Yeah, I only do it on my old Honda Element's tires. Scored some used tires that were nearly new so why not. I use the two bars and always manage to gouge the front of the wheels in a conspicuous spot. :thumbsup:
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am
Sarge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:28 pm A few times at home on my old crap I don't give a shit about.

Yeah, I only do it on my old Honda Element's tires. Scored some used tires that were nearly new so why not. I use the two bars and always manage to gouge the front of the wheels in a conspicuous spot. :thumbsup:
Car tires are actually harder to do by hand. Tighter circumference and all.

Big ol honkin truck tires pretty much slip right over the rim when you lube them up good. It's the weight when you have to flip the tire and rim over...mini workout. Higher chance of ass leakage.

I eyeballed HF bubble balancer once, but didn't buy. Works decent or no?
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I still remember doing my 1st Dayton split rim tire change. The Widowmakers. I'd rather run through a minefield.

DonaldDouchebag

Sarge wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 am

Car tires are actually harder to do by hand. Tighter circumference and all.

Big ol honkin truck tires pretty much slip right over the rim when you lube them up good. It's the weight when you have to flip the tire and rim over...mini workout. Higher chance of ass leakage.

I eyeballed HF bubble balancer once, but didn't buy. Works decent or no?
Yeah, it works pretty well, I think. I actually bought it online via WalMart's site for about $40 less than Harbor freight. Same thing, though. I haven't felt any vibrations driving it so the wheels must be decently balanced. :shrug:

Doing four tires took me about three hours. I get why people don't do this at home.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Changed a tire several times as a young Munger but haven't had to for about the last 35 years.....if I get a flat now I'm calling my good friends at AAA!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

I’ve changed bike tires! Worked summers for a pipeline company in college. Saw the mechanics throw a tire on a rim many times but never asked to try it out.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Here's how we seat the beads with the Cheetah:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

It also works great when you want to fuck with a co-worker's tool box when they have a bunch of paperwork on the top.
DonaldDouchebag

Sarge wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm Here's how we seat the beads with the Cheetah:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

It also works great when you want to fuck with a co-worker's tool box when they have a bunch of paperwork on the top.
Everything about mounting and dismounting truck tires looks like a potential death sentence. No sir, I don't like it.
The Lizard King

Post by The Lizard King »

"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC