Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Sam Mitchell wants the Job

Home for Gopher Basketball

Would You Hire Sam Mitchell as the next Gopher’s Coach?

Yes, former NBA player & Coach of the Year
44%
No, I prefer someone else
56%

Total votes: 9

UnFadeable21

Sam Mitchell wants the Job

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Do you want Sam?
UnFadeable21

Re: Sam Mitchell wants the Job

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sam Telling AAU kids they aren’t shit
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I'm ALL in on Sam "I am" Mitchell! Old enough that he wouldn't use the job as a steppin stone, young enough that he could hang around a dozen years.

DO IT COYLE!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Savvy move by Sam. He's fully aware there's pressure on the U to hire a coach who isn't white, why not position himself as a viable candidate.

That said, I think Coyle already has someone on the line and it's not Sam Mitchell.
Style

Post by Style »

Same here, Sam.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 pm Savvy move by Sam. He's fully aware there's pressure on the U to hire a coach who isn't white, why not position himself as a viable candidate.

That said, I think Coyle already has someone on the line and it's not Sam Mitchell.
You holding out info, feek?!
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

The NBA guys 95% of the time want nothing to do with college recruiting. Yea you can get assistants that do the heavy lifting but the head coach has to close consistently. I just don’t trust Sam to do that. He wants a job. I get it and respect it but he’s not in my top 6. Probably not top 10.
Style

Post by Style »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:37 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:40 pm Savvy move by Sam. He's fully aware there's pressure on the U to hire a coach who isn't white, why not position himself as a viable candidate.

Fancy little nugget at the end by our buddy feek. I asked in the other thread too, but could it be Boynton?

Ace recruiter, experienced, effective, young, and black. Checks a lot of boxes.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

He should get a lower level job in college coaching... expecting to jump right into the big ten... no thanks. He'd be a good coach I think but no proven track record with recruiting.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:37 pm

No. I have zero inside knowledge when it comes to the basketball program.
full force five

Post by full force five »

I don't hate the idea or love it. He has the chops with his NBA connections. Can he consistently close the deal as a recruiter?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:34 am I don't hate the idea or love it. He has the chops with his NBA connections. Can he consistently close the deal as a recruiter?
Given that is the name of the game and we're unsure.... yikes if they hire him.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am
full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:34 am I don't hate the idea or love it. He has the chops with his NBA connections. Can he consistently close the deal as a recruiter?
I look at the history of Gopher basketball over the last 3 decades. . . . it's been below average, make the big dance every 4ish years. Just pitiful honestly. Mitchell can coach I think. Rolling into the living room of a 17 year old with all the NBA experience and ability. That might work?!?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am
I look at the history of Gopher basketball over the last 3 decades. . . . it's been below average, make the big dance every 4ish years. Just pitiful honestly. Mitchell can coach I think. Rolling into the living room of a 17 year old with all the NBA experience and ability. That might work?!?
Can he kiss the ass of parents?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »