Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Geno Atkins

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Geno Atkins

Post by Ash Ketchum »

32 years old.

Obvious Zimmer connection and plays a position of need.

Many people saying the 2022 crop of interior linemen is much better at the top than this year.

One year deal? Yay or nay?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Geno Atkins

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 pm 32 years old.

Many people saying the 2022 crop of interior linemen is much better at the top than this year.

No. He hardly played when healthy for a terrible team last year and then got hurt.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 pm 32 years old.

No. He hardly played when healthy for a terrible team last year and then got hurt.
He was hurt before the season started, but wasn’t placed on IR until December.

Maybe he is washed. But his lack of playing time last year sounds like it was injury related, not necessarily performance.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Is he better than Shamar Stephen? Then yes.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 am Is he better than Shamar Stephen? Then yes.
For God sakes the barometer of whether we should bring a guy in fricken ain't "is he better than a piece of crap who is a no brainer cut"? Stephen is a very overpaid and completely underperforming piece of poop.

Its that thinking, and "let's bring in Kline, he has to better than Compton" and "ya Elf went backwards but if we move him from C to G he still has to be way better than Remmers" is another contributing factor to 10 years of dogshit OL performance.

Is he a quality performer? Can he start the full year? Can we get him at a price to create value if he stays healthy. Can he stay healthy? Those are your barometers and I don't have any idea where he is at at this stage of his career. But Zim like knows and if he wanted him and he is affordable seems like a good low risk move.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

You kick the tires. Sure. You don’t break the bank.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

With what the cap seems to be settling at, I don't see any reason why both Reiff and Barr can't be on the opening day roster next year. So, the "Geno Atkins" of the NFL world are who I expect the Vikes to be targeting at DT, S, G, etc... Hopefully hit on 14 and another draft pick or two, and there's your 2021 Minnesota Vikings.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

At one point of his career, Geno was one if not the best interior pass rusher in the game.
I'm sure he still has a little something left and would be a great addition for a situational role, but to rely on him for a full time gig probably isn't going to end well.
For that reason, he would be better off on the Browns or another team that already has pass rushing pieces to surround him.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 am Is he better than Shamar Stephen? Then yes.
For God sakes the barometer of whether we should bring a guy in fricken ain't "is he better than a piece of crap who is a no brainer cut"? Stephen is a very overpaid and completely underperforming piece of poop.

Its that thinking, and "let's bring in Kline, he has to better than Compton" and "ya Elf went backwards but if we move him from C to G he still has to be way better than Remmers" is another contributing factor to 10 years of dogshit OL performance.

Is he a quality performer? Can he start the full year? Can we get him at a price to create value if he stays healthy. Can he stay healthy? Those are your barometers and I don't have any idea where he is at at this stage of his career. But Zim like knows and if he wanted him and he is affordable seems like a good low risk move.
Haha, it's alarming how many seasons Stephen has been on the roster for the amount of output he gives. He's a late round draft pick so good for him for sticking around but I think that's more on the Vikings organization. The only time he wasn't here is when Richardson was signed.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
hategreenticemase

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 am

Haha, it's alarming how many seasons Stephen has been on the roster for the amount of output he gives. He's a late round draft pick so good for him for sticking around but I think that's more on the Vikings organization. The only time he wasn't here is when Richardson was signed.
If you want to be alarmed go look at the salary the fucker has bled. Not sure how I missed it earlier but when started messing around on spotrac for 2021, I about shit seeing his number. What a joke.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:59 am

If you want to be alarmed go look at the salary the fucker has bled. Not sure how I missed it earlier but when started messing around on spotrac for 2021, I about shit seeing his number. What a joke.
Stephen should have been treated just like Jayron Kearse. Late round pick that can provide good depth for a very small price. If he looks to be more than that, great! But neither did. Once their contract is up, YOU LET THEM GO AND REPLACE THEM WITH ANOTHER LATE-ROUND GUY!!! We did exactly that with Jayron. He gave us capable depth at S along with good special teams play for a number of years. We saw him enough to know he didn't have much more to offer than that. When his contract was up, we let Detroit sign him to a $3M/year contract and let him go and drafted Josh Metellus to be the new Jayron Kearse for next to nothing. That's what you should do. That's what we should have done with Shamar Stephen. But we didn't. And that was stupid.

- Carl Jung
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

As is always the question: Cost?
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 am

Stephen should have been treated just like Jayron Kearse. Late round pick that can provide good depth for a very small price. If he looks to be more than that, great! But neither did. Once their contract is up, YOU LET THEM GO AND REPLACE THEM WITH ANOTHER LATE-ROUND GUY!!! We did exactly that with Jayron. He gave us capable depth at S along with good special teams play for a number of years. We saw him enough to know he didn't have much more to offer than that. When his contract was up, we let Detroit sign him to a $3M/year contract and let him go and drafted Josh Metellus to be the new Jayron Kearse for next to nothing. That's what you should do. That's what we should have done with Shamar Stephen. But we didn't. And that was stupid.
Exactly correct. Especially when developing DL we are at least competent, so if a guy aint getting there, replace him with another and likely you can match the production cheaply.

Kearse aint the best example only in that it turns out we should have dumped Harris and kept Kearse. Not sure would have been much difference, except about 10M.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am
Exactly correct. Especially when developing DL we are at least competent, so if a guy aint getting there, replace him with another and likely you can match the production cheaply.

Kearse aint the best example only in that it turns out we should have dumped Harris and kept Kearse. Not sure would have been much difference, except about 10M.
Kearse is a perfect example of what I am talking about Harris is irrelevant to the point. Practically, it could factor in (I doubt it, but it could), but the fact that we did not make the right call with Harris does not mean we made the wrong call with Kearse. We made the right call. Detroit released him after a year (and almost $3M and a 5-11 record), so I don't think that was a great investment for them. Nor would it have been for us.

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

We actually did that with Shamar Stephen too. When his rookie contract expired he became a free agent and signed with the Seahawks. The Vikings got a 7th round comp pick for that. Then after his one year deal was completed in Seattle, we signed him back. While I do not think signing was terrible, the contract was higher than I thought it should have been.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:23 pm
We actually did that with Shamar Stephen too. When his rookie contract expired he became a free agent and signed with the Seahawks. The Vikings got a 7th round comp pick for that. Then after his one year deal was completed in Seattle, we signed him back. While I do not think signing was terrible, the contract was higher than I thought it should have been.
Right. I did know that, but I forgot about it!

But what we didn’t do that we should have done, was draft another Shamar Stephen-level player in the late rounds to replace the exiting Shamar Stephen so we wouldn’t have to re-sign the previous Shamar Stephen.

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:25 pm

But what we didn’t do that we should have done, was draft another Shamar Stephen-level player in the late rounds to replace the exiting Shamar Stephen so we wouldn’t have to re-sign the previous Shamar Stephen.
Armon Watts?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:44 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Armon Watts?
Then why bring back Shamar Stephen?

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 pm

The coaching staff seemed to want him back. I believe they projected him as the 2 down starter next to Joseph and paid him low end starter money.

I actually liked Stephen as a backup DT and would have brought him back on backup money, not the $12 million they paid him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 am

The coaching staff seemed to want him back. I believe they projected him as the 2 down starter next to Joseph and paid him low end starter money.

I actually liked Stephen as a backup DT and would have brought him back on backup money, not the $12 million they paid him.
Right. So he took a little vacation to Seattle, but the overall point stands. Stephen, like Kearse, is a quality backup level player who is an asset to a team on a minimum contract and a detriment to a team on a multi-year, multi-million$ contract.

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:27 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:25 am

Right. So he took a little vacation to Seattle, but the overall point stands. Stephen, like Kearse, is a quality backup level player who is an asset to a team on a minimum contract and a detriment to a team on a multi-year, multi-million$ contract.
I agree with your assessment of Stephens, but the MN coaching staff did not. And, the Vikings did not resign Stephens directly after his rookie contract.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I think you guys are overrating how easy it is to find and develop these late round guys.

For every Shemar Stephen or Stephen Weatherley that you find, you go through plenty of Jaleel Johnsons, Jalyn Holmes', Hercules Mata'afas, Armon Watts', Tashawn Bowers, Ade Arunas, Curtis Cothrans, Justin Trattous, BJ Dubois', Corey Woottons, Everett Watkins', D'Aundre Reeds, etc.

And considering it takes a few years for these guys to develop anyway, you're lucky if you get 1.5 years of actual production before these guys actually hit open free agency.

Sometimes you have to sign back these guys.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

No Cap$to sign anyone of quality and lets face it who wants to play for zim?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:59 am I think you guys are overrating how easy it is to find and develop these late round guys.

For every Shemar Stephen or Stephen Weatherley that you find, you go through plenty of Jaleel Johnsons, Jalyn Holmes', Hercules Mata'afas, Armon Watts', Tashawn Bowers, Ade Arunas, Curtis Cothrans, Justin Trattous, BJ Dubois', Corey Woottons, Everett Watkins', D'Aundre Reeds, etc.

And considering it takes a few years for these guys to develop anyway, you're lucky if you get 1.5 years of actual production before these guys actually hit open free agency.

Sometimes you have to sign back these guys.
And that is why getting several late round picks creates advantage.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:14 pm
Atkins doesn't make any sense at this point unless they are worried about Pierce.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Coach Guy

Post by Coach Guy »

NFL rumors doesn't get SHhhhh right
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:34 pm
Atkins doesn't make any sense at this point unless they are worried about Pierce.
Isn't that the reason why it does make sense? I'm (somewhat) worried. Dude hasn't played for over a year. At this point, Atkins is gonna come relatively cheap. Worse case, pushing down the depth chart is never a bad thing. If Atkins still has some football left in him and everyone else is healthy, that's a helluva rotation of interior D-lineman. Of course, I'd rather some move(s) were made to further shore up the O-line, though I'm can't really provide any names.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Angry Waters wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:34 pm
Isn't that the reason why it does make sense? I'm (somewhat) worried. Dude hasn't played for over a year. At this point, Atkins is gonna come relatively cheap. Worse case, pushing down the depth chart is never a bad thing. If Atkins still has some football left in him and everyone else is healthy, that's a helluva rotation of interior D-lineman. Of course, I'd rather some move(s) were made to further shore up the O-line, though I'm can't really provide any names.
There's already quite to be quite the rotation along the D-Line.
If they add Atkins that's going to be the deepest rotation in history.
Young guys will be fighting for 5 plays a game.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

At this stage, one of Watts, Lynch or Herc probably make the team considering we only have 3 worthy DTs on the roster.
None of them "deserve" to though at this point, so there's nothing wrong with bringing in more competition.

If one of those 3 surprises and actually outplays Atkins, then keep that guy and cut Geno.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis