Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

“Its Christmas Eve! Its the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we smile a little easier, we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be.” – Bill Murray

“Christmas Eve, a perfect night to express affection for your family, to forgive those who failed you and to forget past mistakes.” – Unknown

“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” – Clement Clark Moore

“Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart...filled it, too, with melody that would last forever.” – Bess Streeter Aldrich

“Christmas Eve ought to be a very joyful evening to us in all its associations, in all the truths which it naturally brings to the soul.... A man's soul is to be as the heavens were on the night when the shepherds looked up and saw them full of angels as well as stars.” – Henry Ward Beecher
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it looks like i began putting down quotes from this book about 32 months ago. we finally got to the last chapter: self-pity. it's not a very big chapter so it won't be too long before we're finished. i have another book lined up though-so we can keep it going for awhile more.

"self-pity comes so naturally to all of us."- andre maurois

"every man supposes himself not to be fully understood or appreciated."- ralph waldo emerson

"self-pity is our worst enemy."- helen keller

"what poison is to food, self-pity is to life."- oliver c. wilson

"being sorry for myself is a luxury i can't afford."- stephen king and peter straub

"self-pity is one of the most dangerous forms of self-centeredness. it fogs our vision."- anonymous

"grumbling is the death of love."- marlene dietrich

"to hear complaints is wearisome to the wretched and the happy alike."- samuel johnson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i see a very short chapter too. we'll be into the new book before i know it. that's not very big-so it will be probably be only a quote or two a post-but then i have a real big quotations book that is author based to keep the thread going. i think there's a couple more years to go-God willing.

"sympathy is never wasted except when you give it to yourself."- john w. raper

"the opposite of having faith is having self-pity."- og guinness

"optimism and self-pity are the positive and negative poles of modern cowardice."- cyril connolly

"he who complains, sins."- saint francis de sales

"this life is not for complaint, but for satisfaction."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

how to get past self-pity

"is life so wretched? isn't it rather your hands which are too small, your vision which is muddled? you are the one who must grow up."
- dag hammarskjold

"suffering isn't ennobling, recovery is."- christian n. barnard

"you can overcome anything if you don't bellyache."- bernard m. baruch

"there is only one way to end a self-pity cycle: stop comparing yourself to others, simply follow Christ."- linda harry

"do not weep; do not wax indignant. understand."- baruch spinoza

"when any fit of gloominess, or perversion of mind, lays hold of you, make it a rule not to publish it by complaints."- samuel johnson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

taking action is a great way to overcome self-pity

"the secret of being miserable is to have leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not. the cure for it is occupation."
- george bernard shaw

"the cure for grief is motion."- elbert hubbard

"i got the blues thinking of the future, so i left off and made some marmalade. it's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges or scrub the floor.- d.h. lawrence

"when you find yourself overpowered, as it were, by melancholy, the best way is to go out and do something."- john keble

"the best mask for demoralization is daring."- lucan
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we choose to indulge in self-pity

"self-pity is a death that has no resurrection, a sinkhole from which no rescuing hand can drag you because you have chosen to sink."
-elizabeth elliot

"pain is inevitable. suffering is optional."- anonymous

"i am convinced, the longer i live, that life and its blessings are not so entirely unjustly distributed as when we are suffering greatly we are inclined to suppose."- mary todd lincoln

"despair is the absolute extreme of self-love. it is reached when a man deliberately turns his back on all help from anyone else in order to taste the rotten luxury of knowing himself to be lost."- thomas merton
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:49 am taking action is a great way to overcome self-pity

"the secret of being miserable is to have leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not. the cure for it is occupation."
- george bernard shaw

"the cure for grief is motion."- elbert hubbard

"i got the blues thinking of the future, so i left off and made some marmalade. it's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges or scrub the floor.- d.h. lawrence

"when you find yourself overpowered, as it were, by melancholy, the best way is to go out and do something."- john keble

"the best mask for demoralization is daring."- lucan
Need these ones atm. :thumbsup:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

well this is the last post from the book. as said earlier i've got another, much smaller, book waiting in the wings. and then a general book of quotations that is an even bigger book than this one to go after that-so this thread will continue to move forward. i'll probably only use a quote or two from at least the first book per post-but i'll play it by ear.

"i never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
a small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself."- d.h. lawrence

"a man's as miserable as he thinks he is."- marcus annaeus seneca

"your distress about life might mean you have been living for the wrong reason, not that you have no reason for living."
-tom o'connor a person living with ARC

"sadness is almost never anything but a form of fatigue."- andre gide

"he's simply got the instinct for being unhappy highly developed."- saki (h.h. munro)

"despair is criminal."- samuel johnson

"even the cry from the depths is an affirmation: why cry if there is no hint or hope of hearing?"- martin The Psycho
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

throw out a couple happy quotes until we make the transition to the new book.

“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”- Denis Waitley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

okay this is the book that i pulled out to keep this thread going. i read it probably five years ago-so it'll be good for me to get the re-read in too. it's called "quotes for mindfulness: timeless wisdom for the modern world". it might not be your cup of tea-but it isn't a very big book and i have another one in the wings.

mindfulness is...

"mindfulness in its most general sense is about waking up from a life on automatic, and being sensitive to novelty in our everyday experiences."
- daniel j. siegel

"mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different.; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won't).- james baraz

"mindfulness is often spoken of as the heart of buddhist meditation. it's not about buddhism, but about paying attention. that's what all meditation is, no matter what tradition or particular technique is used.- jon-kabat-zinn

"to pay attention, this is our endless and proper work."- mary oliver

"mindfulness is a quality that's always there. it's an illusion that there's a meditation and post-meditation period, which i always find amusing, because you're either mindful or you're not."- richard gere
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mindfulness is...cont'd.

"mindfulness is the quality of fullness of attention, immediacy, non-distraction. in that sense, it is the key to life."- sharon salzburg

"life is a dance. mindfulness is witnessing that dance."- amit ray

" a mind which is not protected by mindfulness is as helpless as a blind man walking over uneven ground without a guide."- buddha

"mindfulness refers to that move where you notice your mind wandered. with mindfulness you monitor whatever goes on within the mind."
- daniel goleman

"mindfulness isn't difficult, we just need to remember to do it."- sharon salzberg

"mindfulness doesn't cure all, but it always cures."- thich nhat hanh
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: live each day

'nothing is worth more than this day."- goethe

"begin at once to live, and count each day as a separate life."- seneca

"there is no enlightenment outside daily life."- thich nhat hanh

"in today's rush, we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just being."- eckhart talle

"a bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."- chinese proverb

"slow down. calm down. don't worry. don't hurry. trust the process."- alexandra stoddard

"the man is happiest who lives from day to day and asks no more, garnering the simple goodness of life."- euripides

"we spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. it would be nice to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives."- maya angelou
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

live each day cont'd.

"how we spend our days is of course how we spend our lives."- annie dillard

"your daily life is your temple and your religion. whenever you enter into it take with you your all."- kahlil gibran

"to do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life."- t.s. eliot

"it's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth--and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up--that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the onl one we had."- elisabeth kubler-ross

"you had better live your best and act your best and thing your best today; for today is the sure preparation for tomorrow and all the other tomorrows that follow."- harriet martineau

"if you are depressed you are living in the past. if you are anxious you are living in the future. if you are at peace you are living in the present."
- lao tzu
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the final live each day quotes.

"don't let yesterday use up too much of today."- cherokee proverb

"if you daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call for its riches."- rainer maria rilke

"so teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."- psalms 90:12

"i think, what has this day brought me, and what have i given it?"- henry moore

"one of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour. write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year...a day is a miniature eternity."- ralph waldo emerson

"tomorrow doesn't matter for i have lived today."- horace
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: this is the moment

"life is now. there was never a time when your life was not now, nor will there ever be."- eckhart tolle

"be happy in the moment, that's enough. each moment is all we need, not more."- mother teresa

"gladly accept the gifts of the present hour."- horace

"rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee."- montaigne

"above all, we cannot afford not to live in the present. he is blessed over all mortals who loses no moment of the passing life in remembering the past."- henry david thoreau

"no mind is much employed upon the present: recollection and anticipation fill up almost all our moments." samuel johnson

"with the past, i have nothing to do; nor with the future. i live now."- ralph waldo emerson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is the moment cont'd.

"the only use of knowledge of the past is to equip us for the present. no more deadly harm can be done to young minds than by depreciation of the present. the present contains all that there is. it is holy ground; for it is the past, and it is the future."- alfred north whitehead

"the best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."- abraham lincoln

"i never think of the future. it comes soon enough."- albert einstein

"real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present."- albert camus

"breathe. let go. and remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure."- oprah winfrey

"drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves--slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future; live the actual moment. only this moment is life."- thich nhat hanh

"living in the present moment creates the experience of eternity."- deepak chopra
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is the moment cont'd.

"the whole of life is but a moment of time. it is our duty, therefore, to use it, not to misuse it."- plutarch

"the older one gets,the more one feels that the present moment must be enjoyed, comparable to a state of grace."- marie curie

""every moment that i am centered in the future, i suffer a temporary loss of this life."- hugh prather

"forever--is composed of nows--"- emily dickinson

"i have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is."- alan watts

"you must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment."- henry david thoreau

"why not live in the moment, especially if it has a good beat." goldie hawn
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: free your mind

"do not encumber your mind with useless thoughts. what good does it do to brood on the past or anticipate the future.? remain in the simplicity of the present moment."- dilgo khyentse rinpoche

"a man should remove not only unnecessary acts, but also unnecessary thoughts, for then superfluous activity will not follow."- marcus aurelius

"when the mind is full of memories and preoccupied by the future, it misses the freshness of the present moment. in this way, we fail to recognize the luminous simplicity of mind that is always present behind the veils of thought." matthieu ricard

"of course i realized there was a measure of danger. obviously i faced the possibility of not returning when i first considered going. once faced and settled there really wasn't any good reason to refer to it again." amelia earhart

"if your eyes are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset."- jiddu krishnamurti

"the day is never so dark, nor the night even, but that the laws of light still prevail, and so may make it light in our minds if they are open to the truth. i never yet knew the sun to be knocked down and rolled through a mud puddle; he comes out honor-bright from behind every storm."
- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

free your mind cont'd.

"if water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind!"- chuang tzu

"how much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened."- thomas jefferson

"tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. and no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream."
- paulo coehlo

"most people don't realize that the mind constantly chatters. and yet, that chatter winds up being the force that drives us much of the day in terms of what we do, what we react to, and how we feel."- jon kabat-zinn

"one way to boost our will power and focus is to manage our distractions instead of letting them manage us."- daniel goleman

"the perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting thing in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."- g.k. chesterton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

free your mind cont'd.

"for him who has no concentration, there is no tranquility."- bhagavad gita

"we should have much peace if we would not busy ourselves with the sayings and doings of others."- thomas a kempis

"don't believe everything you think. thoughts are just that--thoughts."- allan lokos

"the primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. it is as it is."- eckhart tolle

"if you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? what is there to fear?"- confucious

"a single gentle rain makes the grass many shades greener. so or prospects brighten on the influx of better thoughts."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

free your mind cont'd.

"the greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another."- william james

"give not reins to your inflamed passions; take time and a little delay; impetuosity manages all things badly."- publius statius

"anger cannot be overcome by anger. if a person shows anger to you, and you show anger in return, the result is a disaster. in contrast, if you control your anger and show its opposite--love, compassion, tolerance, and patience--then not only will you remain in peace, but the anger of others also will gradually diminish."- dalai lama

"i have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmitted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmitted into a power that can move the world."- mahatma gandhi

"if you get angry easily, it may be because the seed of anger in you has been watered frequently over many years, and unfortunately you have allowed it or even encouraged it to be watered."- thich nhat hanh

"for every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness."- ralph waldo emerson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

in honor of an exciting t-wolves win last night. HOWL!

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the last quotes from the free your mind chapter.

"conflict cannot survive without your participation."- wayne dyer

"worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. it empties today of its strength."- corrie ten boom

"therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. each day has enough troubles of its own."- matthew 6:24

"happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying, once and for all."- ovid

"do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. keep in the sunlight."- benjamin franklin

"be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves."- ranier maria rilke
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: find your inner peace

"there is only one journey. going inside yourself."- rainer maria rilke

"the mind is never right but when it is at peace within itself."- seneca

"our soul makes constant noise, but it has a silent place we never hear."- simone weil

"your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. who looks outside, dreams. who looks inside, awakens."- carl jung

"we need to be quiet. we need to be happy. we need to be still. God's holy peace is all around me. when i am still, it is reflected within me."
- hugh prather
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

find your inner peace cont'd.

"do not feel lonely, the entire universe is within you."- rumi

"i have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude."- henry david thoreau

"in solitude a dialogue always arises, because even in solitude there are always two."- hannah arendt

"solitude is not something you must hope for in the future. rather, it is a deepening of the present, and unless you look for it in the present you will never find it."- thomas merton

"between stimulus and response there is a space, and in that space lies our power and our freedom."- viktor e. frankl
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"silence is the universal refuge, the sequel to all dull discourses and all foolish acts, a balm to our every chagrin, as welcome after satiety as after disappointment."- henry david thoreau

""each of us needs periods in which our minds can focus inwardly. solitude is an essential experience for the mind to organize its own processes and create an internal state of resonance. in such a state, the self is able to alter its constraints by directly reducing the input from interactions with others."- daniel j. siegel

"learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose."- elisabeth kubler-ross

"there are voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter into the world."- ralph waldo emerson

"none but ourselves can free our minds."- bob marley

"we must be true inside, true to ourselves, before we can know a truth that is outside us."- thomas merton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we are sick with fascination for the useful tools of names and numbers, of symbols signs, conceptions and ideas. meditation is therefore the art of suspending verbal and symbolic thinking for a time, somewhat as a courteous audience will stop talking when a concert is about to begin."
- alan watts

"meditation practice isn't about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better. it's about befriending who we are already."
- pema chodron

"meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you ccan use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively."- sharon salzberg

"inside myself is a place where i live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up."- pearl s. buck

"imagine that your mind is like a calm, clear lake or a vast empty sky: ripples appear on the surface of the lake and clouds pass across the sky, but they soon disappear without altering the natural stillness."- kathleen mcdonald
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"let your mind wander in the pure and simple. be one with the infinite. let all things take their course."- chuang tzu

"to experience peace does not mean that your life is always blissful. it means that you are capable of tapping into a blissful state of mind amidst the normal chaos of a hectic life."- jill bolte taylor

"mindfulness meditation doesn't change life. life remains as fragile and unpredictable as ever. meditation changes the heart's capacity to accept life as it is."- sylvia boorstein

"do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear? can you remain unmoving till the right action arises by itself?"
- lao tzu

"the solution to my life occured to me one evening while i was ironing a shirt."- alice munro

"the thoughts that come to us are worth more than the ones we seek."- joseph joubert
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there is no need to go to india or anywhere else to find peace. you will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub."- elisabeth kubler-ross

"peace is joy at rest and joy is peace on its feet."- anne lamott

"the ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."- st. thomas more

"do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset."- st. francis de sales

"feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. conscious breathing is my anchor."- thich nhat hanh
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: nourish your mind, body, and spirit

"nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort."- deborah day

"nurturing yourself is not selfish--it's essential to your survival and you well-being."- renee peterson trudeau

"to keep a lamp burning we have to keep putting oil in it."- mother teresa