Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"adversity has ever been considered as the state in which a man most easily becames acquainted with himself."- samuel johnson

"adversity introduces a man to himself."- anonymous

"i thank God for my handicaps for, through them, i have found myself, my work, and my God."- helen keller

"a woman is like a tea bag: you never know her strength until you drop her in hot water."- nancy reagan

"in the depth of winter, i finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."- albert camus

"we only really face up to ourselves when we are afraid."- thomas bernhard

"even if misfortune is only good for bringing a fool to his senses, it would still be just to deem it good for something."- frederick w. robertson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"forget the times of your distress, but never forget what they taught you."- herbert gasser

"you can learn little from victory. you can learn everything from defeat."- christy mathewson

"trouble brings experience, and experience brings wisdom."- anonymous

"a smooth sea never made a skillful mariner."- english proverb

"when a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits...he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill."- ralph waldo emerson

"by becoming more unhappy, we sometimes learn how to be less so."- madame swetchine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

how about this voltaire quote to refreshen the page today? sounds good.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"a good scare is worth more to a man than good advice."- edgar watson howe

"we only think when we are confronted with a problem."- john dewey

"adversity comes with instruction in its hand."- anonymous

"prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it."- william hanzlitt

"wisdom comes by disillusionment."- george santayana

"i have always grown from my problems and challenges, from the things that didn't work out. that's when i've really learned."- carol burnett

"pain is the root of knowledge."- simone weil
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the good things that belong to prosperity are to be wished, but the good things that belong to adversity are to be admired."
-marcus annaeus seneca

"adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it."- horace

"the virtue of prosperity is temperance; the virtue of adversity is fortitude."- francis bacon

"in victory even the cowardly like to boast, while in adverse times even the brave are discredited."- sallust

"adversity is sometimes hard upon a man; but for one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity."
-thomas carlyle

"there is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle."- robert alden

"when it is dark enough, you can see the stars."- charles a. beard
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"all sorts of spiritual gifts come through privations, if they are accepted."- janet erskine stuart

"there is nothing the body suffers which the soul may not profit by."- george meredith

"God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars."- anonymous

"there are three modes of bearing the ills of life: by indifference, by philosophy, and by religion."- charles caleb colton

"the same reason makes a man a religious enthusiast that makes a man an enthusiast in any other way: an uncomfortable mind in an uncomfortable body."- william hazlitt

"flowers grow out of dark moments"- corita kent
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"victories that are cheap are cheap. those only are worth having which come as the result of hard fighting."- henry ward beecher

"the greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."- moliere

"the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. what we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly."- thomas paine

"the fiery trials through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor to the last generation."- abraham lincoln

"to conquer without risk is to triumph without glory."- pierre corneille

"there could be no honor in a sure success, but much might be wrested from a sure defeat."- t.e. lawrence (lawrence of arabia)
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a quote for sunday.

“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”
― Pema Chödrön
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"in order to have great happiness, you have to have great pain and unhappiness--otherwise how would you know when you're happy."
- leslie caron

"to really enjoy the better things in life, one must first have experienced the things they're better than."- oscar homoka

"who has never tasted what is bitter does not know what is sweet."- german proverb

"no man better knows what good is than he who has endured evil."- anonymous

"sleep, riches and health, to be truly enjoyed, must be interrupted."- jean paul fichter

"if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."- dolly parton

"if you want to see the sun shine, you have to weather the storm."- frank lane
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

"Too much of what is called ‘education’ is little more than an expensive isolation from reality." -Sowell also
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"anything other than death is a minor injury."- bill muncey

"if your house is on fire, warm yourself by it."- spanish proverb

"when written in chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity."
-john f. kennedy

"from a fallen tree, make kindling."- spanish proverb

"to every disadvantage there is a corresponding advantage."- w. clement stone

"the same wind that extinguishes a light can set a brazier on fire."- pierre de beaumarchais

"adversity is the first path to truth."- lord byron
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

wrapping up the adversity chapter today.

"what the student calls a tragedy, the master calls a butterfly."- richard bach

"let us not be needlessly bitter: certain failures are sometimes fruitful."- e.m. cioran

"sweet are the uses of adversity."- william shakespeare

"strength does not comes from winning. your struggles develop your strengths. when you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- arnold schwarzenegger

"the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."- martin luther king

"i walk firmer and more secure up hill than down."- michel de montaigne

"do not fee a camel of the burden of his hump; you may be freeing him from being a camel."- g.k. chesterton

"if we survive danger, it steels our courage more than anything else."- rienhold neibuhr

"great occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to the eyes of men...crisis shows us what we have become."
-bishop westcott
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: reacting to events (the penultimate one.)

"all that is necessary is to accept the unacceptable, do without the indispensable, and bear the unbearable."- kathleen norris

"mishaps are like knives that either serve us or cut us as we grasp them by the blade or the handle."- james russell lowell

"fortune does not change men; it unmasks them."- madame necker

"i love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection."- thomas paine

"wise men ne'er sit and wail their loss, but cheerily seek how to redress their harms."- william shakespeare

"life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds a man down or polishes him up depends on the stuff he's made of."- josh billings
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll go with just one this morning because it's pretty long, baseball related and it comes from the esteemed manager connie mack. pretty sure it's the only time he's been quoted in this thread. it's also quite good.

"i have seen boys on my baseball team go into slumps and never come out of them, and i have seen others snap right out and come back better than ever. i guess more players lick themselves than are ever licked by an opposing team. the first thing any man has to know is how to handle himself."- connie mack
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved."
- marcus aurelius

"i'm not happy, i'm cheerful. there's a difference. a happy person has no cares at all. a cheerful person has cares but has learned how to deal with them."-beverly sills

"keep strong if possible; in any case, keep cool."- sir basil liddell hart

"concern should drive us into action, not into a depression."- karen horney

"happiness is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."- anonymous

"a man has no more character than he can command in a time of crisis."- ralph w. sockman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"results? why, man, i have gotten a lot of results. i know several thousand things that won't work."- thomas alva edison

"the tragedy is not that things are broken. the tragedy is that they are not mended again."- anonymous

"any man can shot a gun, and with practice he an draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. what counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you."- louis l'amour

"don't curse the darkness--light a candle."- chinese proverb

"anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm."- publilius syrus

"an error is simply a failure to adjust immediately from a preconception to an actuality."- john cage
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"what the caterpillar calls a tragedy, the Master calls a butterfly."- richard bach

"the longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us."- voltaire

"when the going gets tough, the tough get going."- frank leahy

"the difficulties of life are intended to makes us better, not bitter."- anonymous

"acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune."- william james

"the winds and waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators."- edward gibbon
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"no matter what has happened, always behave as if nothing had happened."- arnold bennett

"when things go wrong, don't go with them."- anonymous

"nothing is so bad that you have to sit down and go crazy."- john telgen

"in adversity, remember to keep an even mind."- horace

"do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset."- saint francis de sales
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we are not troubled by things, but by the opinion which we have of things."- epictetus

"things are in their essence what we choose to make them. a thing is, according to the mode in which one looks at it."- oscar wilde

"we are never so happy or so unhappy as we think."- francois de la rochefoucauld

"we exaggerate misfortune and happiness alike. we are never either so wretched or so happy as we say we are."- honore de balzac

"the most unhappy of all men is he who believes himself to be so."- david hume

"happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them."- leo tolstoy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"almost all our misfortunes in life come from the wrong notions we have about the things that happen to us."- stendhal

"riches, like glory or health, have no more beauty or pleasure than their possessor is pleased to lend them."- michel de montaigne

"losses are comparative, imagination only makes them of any moment."- blaise pascal

"man is only miserable so far as he thinks himself so."- sannazare

"the meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them."- antoine de saint-exupery

"pain is inevitable. suffering is optional."- anonymous

"little things affect little minds."- benjamin disraeli

"do not weep; do not wax indignant. understand. baruch spinoza

"i can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses. it's all how you look at it."- j. kenfield morley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes."- sara teasdale

"if you have to be in a soap opera, try not to get the worst role."- boy george

"things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."- anonymous

"experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- aldous huxley

"a wise man turns chance into good fortune."- thomas fuller

"to a brave man, good and bad luck are like his right and left hand. he uses both."- saint catherine of sienna

"when fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade."- dale carnegie
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there are two ways of meeting difficulties. you alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to meet them."- phyllis bottome

"turn your stumbling blocks into stepping stones."- anonymous

"never despair, but if you do, work on in despair."- edmund burke

"groan and forget it."- jessamyn west

"let us not be needlessly bitter: certain failures are sometimes fruitful."- e.m. cioran

"the most important thing in life is not to capitalize on your gains. any fool an do that. the really important thing is to profit from your losses."
- william bolitho

"find the grain of truth in criticism--chew it and swallow it."- don sutton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

life is like a game of cards

"you gotta play that's dealt you. there may be pain in that hand, but you play it."- james brady

"boys, this is only game. but it's like life in that you will be dealt some bad hands. take each hand, good or bad, and don't whine and complain, but play it out. if you're men enough to do that, God will help and you will come out well."- dwight d. eisenhower's mother

"life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing those you do hold well."- josh billings

"the game of life is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well."- h.t. leslie

"all i can do is play the game the way the cards fall."- james a. michener

"true luck consists not in holding the best cards at the table; luckiest he who knows just when to rise and go home."- john hay
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

courage

"the greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart."- robert g. ingersoll

"courage is to take hard knocks like a man when occasion calls."- plautus

"to accept whatever comes, regardless of the consequences, is to be unafraid."- john cage

"courage in the final analysis, is nothing but an affirmative answer to the shocks of existence."- dr. kurt golstein

"courage is a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it."- general william t. sherman

"to have courage for whatever comes in life--everything lies in that."- saint teresa of avila
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

“Life is short and it's up to you to make it sweet.”

― Sadie Delany
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

A few of the many great quotes from Bob Marley:

"If she’s amazing, she won’t be easy. If she’s easy, she won’t be amazing. If she’s worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy."

"Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I’m not perfect — and I don’t live to be — but before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean!"

"Beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but its everything in between that makes it all worth living."
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

humor helps

"humor is my sword and shield. it protects me. you can open a door with humor and drive a truck right through."- alan simpson

"a person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs, jolted by every pebble in the road."- henry ward beecher

"were it not for my little jokes, i could not bear the burdens of this office."- abraham lincoln

"optimism and humor are the grease and glue of life. without both of them we would never have survived our captivity."
- philip butler, vietnam POW

"a sense of humor judges one's actions and the actions of others from a wider reference...it pardons shortcomings; it consoles failure. it recommends moderation."- - thornton wilder

"humor is just another defense against the universe."- mel brooks
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the last of the adversity chapter/quotes with this post.

"good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure."- william saroyan

"everyday...life confronts us with new problems to be solved which force us to adjust our old programs accordingly."- dr. ann faraday

"what can any of us do with his talent but try to develop his vision, so that through frequent failures we may learn better what we have missed in the past."- william carlos williams

"there are more serious problems in life than financial ones, and i've had a lot of those. i've been broke before, and will be again. heartbroke? that's serious. lose a few bucks? that's not."- willie nelson

"a life of reaction is a life of slavery, intellectually and spiritually. one must fight for a life of action, not reaction."- rita mae brown