Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

** Official FA thread** tracker*talker*updates

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: ** Official FA thread** tracker*talker*updates

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:59 pm Bring Patton back at the min.
better options than him, man. his body has to be trashed to be that wiped out at such a young age. he's got skills, he's got size, it's got to be his health. 3 years now in the league - with a total of 49 minutes of PT. woof. i'd rather look at donta hall, norvel pelle, khyri thomas, gary payton II, MKG or elfrid payton before i'd give justin a jingle.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 pm
SHAFA wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:59 pm Bring Patton back at the min.
better options than him, man. his body has to be trashed to be that wiped out at such a young age. he's got skills, he's got size, it's got to be his health. 3 years now in the league - with a total of 49 minutes of PT. woof. i'd rather look at donta hall, norvel pelle, khyri thomas, gary payton II, MKG or elfrid payton before i'd give justin a jingle.
Oh no, I get it. Can’t say I’d give Payton, Gilchrist or Thomas a call first, but there are certainly better front court options available.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Lakers have $5 million in their salary cap because of Timberwolves. Wolves signed him after Lakers released him and they designated him with career ending injury.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

This Derrick Jones Jr. story is crushing...he was the guy I wanted, & to know he was a target on day 1, one that we had the final pitch to, before losing out...sucks.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Dubs wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 am This Derrick Jones Jr. story is crushing...he was the guy I wanted, & to know he was a target on day 1, one that we had the final pitch to, before losing out...sucks.
Indeed, had we come away with him it completely changes the trajectory of our season. With him we could be as high as a 5th seed possibly, without him we’d be luck to get to a play in game
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Dubs wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 am This Derrick Jones Jr. story is crushing...he was the guy I wanted, & to know he was a target on day 1, one that we had the final pitch to, before losing out...sucks.
Yup, would have had a great opportunity here.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Derrick Jones Jr. does not bring us from a maybe play off team to a 5th seed.

Come on now.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't understand the hype on DJJ.

the best thing about him may be his D, so i'll give him credit for that. elite athleticism, quickness and leaping ability - he can guard 2s thru 4s. he's played a total of 3318 minutes in 171 nba games - per 36 numbers that don't scream fantastic, maybe just okay - 12.5/6.4/1.3/1.3/1.2 on 61%/28%/69%.

upfront: i'm not lobbying here for the return of jordan bell (waived yesterday by the lakers). i loved the move when we brought him here a couple years ago, it didn't work out (he hardly saw the floor) - but sometimes those ships have sailed and maybe bell's ship has sailed with us. but, like jones jr., he's also a very good (albeit more raw) multi-positional defender (2 thru 5) - with exceptional athleticism, great lateral quickness and top end leaping ability. he has played 1853 minutes in 154 nba games - with per 36 numbers of 11.2/9.2/3.8/1.1/2.3 on 58%/22%/64%.

see what i mean? bell's scoring has been about the same and with nearly the same efficiency as jones jr. they both have great gifts on the defensive end. both run the floor like deer. but bell has been the much better rebounder, distributor and shot blocker of the two. and it's a "crime" that we missed out on the jones jr. signing - whereas bell lies unwanted on the waiver wire scrap heap. methinks one of these two is over-valued.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am i don't understand the hype on DJJ.

the best thing about him may be his D, so i'll give him credit for that. elite athleticism, quickness and leaping ability - he can guard 2s thru 4s. he's played a total of 3318 minutes in 171 nba games - per 36 numbers that don't scream fantastic, maybe just okay - 12.5/6.4/1.3/1.3/1.2 on 61%/28%/69%.

upfront: i'm not lobbying here for the return of jordan bell (waived yesterday by the lakers). i loved the move when we brought him here a couple years ago, it didn't work out (he hardly saw the floor) - but sometimes those ships have sailed and maybe bell's ship has sailed with us. but, like jones jr., he's also a very good (albeit more raw) multi-positional defender (2 thru 5) - with exceptional athleticism, great lateral quickness and top end leaping ability. he has played 1853 minutes in 154 nba games - with per 36 numbers of 11.2/9.2/3.8/1.1/2.3 on 58%/22%/64%.

see what i mean? bell's scoring has been about the same and with nearly the same efficiency as jones jr. they both have great gifts on the defensive end. both run the floor like deer. but bell has been the much better rebounder, distributor and shot blocker of the two. and it's a "crime" that we missed out on the jones jr. signing - whereas bell lies unwanted on the waiver wire scrap heap. methinks one of these two is over-valued.
I agree, I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one.

But giving him $9 million would have been stupid.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:47 am
What was your favorite Kelan Martin moment?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:46 pm
The one where someone on here will probably claim this was a massive mistake.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:19 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am i don't understand the hype on DJJ.

I agree, I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one.

But giving him $9 million would have been stupid.
honestly, they seem like really similar players to me. just one's a PF/C and the other a SF.
Fattymcgee

Post by Fattymcgee »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:46 pm
When he signed with the Pacers.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the bucks just pulled nik stauskas out of the scrap heap. i wonder if he's found his shot - wasn't in the league last year.

frank the tank moves to sacramento.

tyler johnson lands in brooklyn. god that was a terrible contract he had.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 am the bucks just pulled nik stauskas out of the scrap heap. i wonder if he's found his shot - wasn't in the league last year.

frank the tank moves to sacramento.

tyler johnson lands in brooklyn. god that was a terrible contract he had.
Is it ironic he signed with the Nets who gave him the terrible offer sheet which Miami then matched?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 pm justin patton waived by the clippers.

hassan whiteside signs a one year 2 mil deal with the kings.
Whiteside for 2 mil is shocking to me. I realize his b-ball IQ or maybe IQ in general isn't too high but 2 mil... basically league minimum? How does a good team not come in and say we'll give him a little more and see what happens. Or did he go to the Kings because the offered the best opportunity to play?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:42 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 pm justin patton waived by the clippers.

Whiteside for 2 mil is shocking to me. I realize his b-ball IQ or maybe IQ in general isn't too high but 2 mil... basically league minimum? How does a good team not come in and say we'll give him a little more and see what happens. Or did he go to the Kings because the offered the best opportunity to play?
it is still bewildering to me how much the nba has changed - and how guys like him have no value anymore. this is a fairly young 5 whose career averages are 14 ppg and 12 rpg with nearly 2 and half bpg. and nobody wants him.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

still feel like it would be fun to have a one trick pony like this guy on our team for super cheap.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

pelle averaged 1.3 bpg this year in less than 10 mpg. a per 36 of 4.8. and that's in the nba, not gleague. that and lobs is what he does. JJ led our team this year with 1.4 bpg - in 24 mpg. pelle averaged more bpg in 9.7 minutes of action than KAT did in 34 mpg.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:25 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:42 am

it is still bewildering to me how much the nba has changed - and how guys like him have no value anymore. this is a fairly young 5 whose career averages are 14 ppg and 12 rpg with nearly 2 and half bpg. and nobody wants him.
It has to be the minutes.. he is listed as the starting center on ESPN's depth chart.... over Richaun Holmes. A team like the Pistons took Mason Plumlee at 8 mil a year over Whiteside? Houston signed Cousins and Wood but why not look at Whiteside? Raptors lose Gasol and replace with Aron Baynes and Alex Len. I'm just surprised here!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

baynes is actually kind of a helluva player - and one i'd rather have on my team than whiteside. whiteside has been a little dense - and sometimes drifty brained. baynes is the opposite. a thinking man's bruiser. does a lot of things well to help teams win.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if the wolves opt for someone other than jmac - and who knows? they might with hagans on a two way and the "eh.. kinda" PG ability of culver there to back up dlo and rubio. it's possible they might add to another position. the guys left unsigned who i like i've already mentioned before - but haven't talked much about khyri thomas. he's kind of interesting. he's 24, a combo guard - but mostly a SG who was a 38th pick a couple years ago. has been dealing with some injury issues since coming into the league. but if nowell was a surprise to still be there at 43 for us last year - it maybe was more of a surprise that thomas slipped to 38 the year before. if we picked him up, nowell and he would be in direct competition with each other - as they duplicate themselves a bit.

nowell's 6-5 200 - is maybe more well rounded than thomas, but is just an okay defender and, as a deep threat, has had a load of trouble finding his range in the nba so far. great in the gleague - horrible up in the bigs (3 of 26 for 12%). thomas is a bit more muscled - 6-3 210 (his predraft high end comp was jrue) but equipped with a really nice 6-10 wingspan. and an absolute bulldog on defense. he'd be a big uptick for our perimeter D and it's his calling card. what's also interesting though is - like nowell - his potential as a deep shooter. 41% in three years at creighton - in two years in the gleague, his number from deep is 45%. i think what has mostly held him back have been some nagging injuries - but there's a lot to like there. i wouldn't be put off in the slightest if we picked him up on a cheap one year deal and just said "khyri, jaylen, fight it out - one of you two will be on the team at the end of the year."

Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 pm baynes is actually kind of a helluva player - and one i'd rather have on my team than whiteside. whiteside has been a little dense - and sometimes drifty brained. baynes is the opposite. a thinking man's bruiser. does a lot of things well to help teams win.
I agree. Like Baynes.
My heart is family.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

michael kidd gilchrist - who RHJ is always being compared with - is also available. MKG's PT fell off a cliff this year, but he's still just 27. RHJ is 25, maybe has a bit more offensive game. both 6-7 - RHJ has the longer wingspan - but MKG is heavier by about 20 pounds, which makes his ability to guard up to 4s more doable.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:58 pm
It's strange that the Wolves have not inked a deal with JMac yet. Maybe he wants more money than they are offering.

Hollins-jefferson would be a quality signing, I just think getting a third PG on the team makes more sense.

Players are going to miss games because of Covid. We need to be three deep on roster
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:58 pm
It's strange that the Wolves have not inked a deal with JMac yet. Maybe he wants more money than they are offering.

Hollins-jefferson would be a quality signing, I just think getting a third PG on the team makes more sense.

Players are going to miss games because of Covid. We need to be three deep on roster
Maybe JMAC is holding out for an actual 2nd string job offer. Won’t he likely see less time on the court than last season, doubt he is excited to sign up for that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he likely won't see much time at all this season if the plan is DLo-Rubio at the point and everyone stays healthy. i agree that the best would be to sign him. both Dlo and Rubio could stay healthy, but one of the wings could go down. if that happens, it's possible for some musical chairs to happen and Dlo to switch over to the 2. but just on the face of it - Jmac must be staring down the barrel of no court time, and careerwise he might want something else.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I have a feeling people are not knocking down his door to sign him to be a back up.

His choices might be 3rd string NBA PG for $1.5 million.... Or playing in China.

I know which one I would choose.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he did establish a little positive cache around the league though this season with his good play. here's an example in terms of one set of FA rankings. CBS sports has a FA tracker in which they've listed the top 100 FAs in their opinion - with regular updates about if they've signed or not. number 1 on the list is Anthony Davis and number 100 is Wenyen Gabriel. as of today, AD at #1 is still unsigned - then it drops all the way to Shabazz Napier at #39 for the next still unsigned guy - and then - to #46 where JMac resides. As a free agency value, they have him ranked above kyle korver, glen robinson III, RHJ, MKG, shaquille harrison, reggie jackson and a few more. they had him top 50 going into this whole affair. it just depends, of course, on who's already been signed and how depth charts are shaping up around the league.

scratch MKG. just signed a one year deal with the knicks.