Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

This needs to be the new norm....

A place to discuss Gopher Spots
Hornets

This needs to be the new norm....

Post by Hornets »

OK, I'm not greedy. I don't need a national championship to satisfy my Rodent desires. Heck, I don't even need a Rose Bowl victory. TODAY is what I need.....a top notch bowl game that follows up a heckuva season.
Just stay competitive and maybe every 2-3 years play in a significant bowl. That's not asking too much, right?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
salamander

Re: This needs to be the new norm....

Post by salamander »

Hornets wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:25 pm OK, I'm not greedy. I don't need a national championship to satisfy my Rodent desires. Heck, I don't even need a Rose Bowl victory. TODAY is what I need.....a top notch bowl game that follows up a heckuva season.
Just stay competitive and maybe every 2-3 years play in a significant bowl. That's not asking too much, right?
:thumbsup:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

As long as PJ is here, I think its doable.

I think this type of season came a little too early, but nothing wrong with raising expectations.

Gophers will be losing a good amount on defense due to graduation, and possibly one very key player on D will go pro early.

On offense they will still likely be able to put up 35 whenever the hell they want. Losing Tyler hurts, but they still got some damn good receivers. Rodney Smith is good, but not too much of a loss with Mo looking like he's ready for the role. Hopefully bringing back the whole o-line too
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a Hawkeye fan first, and then a Gopher fan. The only time of year I don't want to see the Gophers do well is when they're playing Iowa in anything. That said, I only was able to watch the game right before the last TD, and then listened to the end on the radio. I was excited listening to it. The Gophers being good is good for the Big 10. I feel like they should be on, at the very least, the "Hawkeye" schedule of success. Hover right around that NY Day bowl game/next tier down, and then pop one of the big ones every 5-6 years. Of course it would be nice to have the team be better all the time, I think it's a fair spot to shoot for, given they (Hawks/Gophs) have to go thru a tough conference year in and year out. It would be better if they could become the likes of OSU, obviously, but I don't expect either school to do that. I just want to see a good stretch of 8-10 win seasons.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:35 pmGophers will be losing a good amount on defense due to graduation, and possibly one very key player on D will go pro early.
While they lost some starters to graduation most of their depth on defense will not graduate. I think they've proven they have the coaching to keep it together and build on this season's successes.

That said they have a tougher conference schedule this year so it's not going to be easy (and probably unlikely) to repeat an 11-win season.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:35 pmGophers will be losing a good amount on defense due to graduation, and possibly one very key player on D will go pro early.
While they lost some starters to graduation most of their depth on defense will not graduate. I think they've proven they have the coaching to keep it together and build on this season's successes.

That said they have a tougher conference schedule this year so it's not going to be easy (and probably unlikely) to repeat an 11-win season.
agree on everything...

Losing a lot of experience on D, but a more talented wave is coming. This is why I say this kind of success may have come a season or two too early. To the casual fan, this kind of season might become their new expectation (and there's nothing wrong with raising expectations). But for fans that pay attention, they realize they had a favorable schedule, and they are losing a lot of experience, specifically on the defensive side of the ball.

but, shit. Even with a favorable schedule, they took down #4 and #8.

I absolutely think something special is being built right now though.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Was it an anomaly?
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity