Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fear not Rubes, Edwards won't be Wiggins 2.0

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: Fear not Rubes, Edwards won't be Wiggins 2.0

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:20 am
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Weird comment. I’m not talking about any of those guys being or not being busts.

Does Edwards have bust potential? I think he does.
You think Edwards has out of a job in a couple years potential? Because that's what a bust is. You think he has option not picked up potential? That's what a bust is.
Quit spinning. It is pretty cut and dry. You are a bust if you don't live up to where you were selected. It's that easy.

Taking a guy high that ends up a NBA journeyman is a bust.

If you would redraft guys like Rubio at where they were selected, you're a tard.
While you probably want a more impact player than Rubio #5 overall, you have to look at the draft he’s in and the talent it had as well. Obviously, guys like Currry and Derozan were drafted later and are huge misses, but in that draft they should have gone before Rubio anyway and we’d have never had a shot at him.

Redraft:

Curry
Harden

They go 1 and 2. No question.

Derozan
Griffen
Holiday
Green

That’s your 3-6.

Then guys like
Ricky
Teague
Lawson
Collision
Evans
Jennings

Are your 7-12

So taking Ricky over Curry and, to a lesser extent Green and Derozan, was a huge mistake, Rubio was not all that overdrafted from a strictly talent point in that draft. He went 5 and you can argue he was the 7th best player in the draft. Or 12th. Depending on what you needed and what style of play you wanted.

Now Hasheem Thabeet #2 overall, that’s a bust!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:10 am
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 pm
You think Edwards has out of a job in a couple years potential? Because that's what a bust is. You think he has option not picked up potential? That's what a bust is.
Quit spinning. It is pretty cut and dry. You are a bust if you don't live up to where you were selected. It's that easy.

If you would redraft guys like Rubio at where they were selected, you're a tard.
While you probably want a more impact player than Rubio #5 overall, you have to look at the draft he’s in and the talent it had as well. Obviously, guys like Currry and Derozan were drafted later and are huge misses, but in that draft they should have gone before Rubio anyway and we’d have never had a shot at him.

Redraft:

Curry
Harden

Derozan
Griffen
Holiday
Green

That’s your 3-6.

Then guys like
Ricky
Teague
Lawson
Collision
Evans
Jennings

Are your 7-12

So taking Ricky over Curry and, to a lesser extent Green and Derozan, was a huge mistake, Rubio was not all that overdrafted from a strictly talent point in that draft. He went 5 and you can argue he was the 7th best player in the draft. Or 12th. Depending on what you needed and what style of play you wanted.

Can be a bust even if everyone else sucked. That whole list from 7 down is pretty much shit.

Brandon Jennings lol. Forgot all about him.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:10 am

Redraft:

Curry
Harden

Derozan
Griffen
Holiday
Green

That’s your 3-6.

Then guys like
Ricky
Teague
Lawson
Collision
Evans
Jennings

Are your 7-12

Can be a bust even if everyone else sucked. That whole list from 7 down is pretty much shit.

Brandon Jennings lol. Forgot all about him.
I guess. Depending on what you’re driving at. But I mean, it’s not the guy’s fault he was in a draft class without much depth or whatever. It’s not the GM’s fault if a class doesn’t have a lot of talent.

I guess I’d use the word disappointment rather than bust, but whatever. Semantics.

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:04 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:46 am Here's a breakdown of how Edwards did against Isaac Okoro, arguably the draft's best defensive player.

Gross.

He takes a lot of really stupid shots, drives into single gaps, holds the ball, and plays brutal defense in that video. He plays as if hes a guy who has never played with other dudes before and doesn't know how to play as part of a team.
Sounds like the perfect prospect for this team!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

shoteh wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 pm Damn seems like some of yalls are overly butt hurt and dont want to have a conversation about a dude you hardly know about. Sure Wiggins was young once, we took a chance, it didn't pan out now he's an automatic bum. The biggest problem with Wiggins was Glen, not him. You pay a guy for what he's worth and he can still be a part of a winning team. I bet you guys wouldn't be crying if Wiggins had smaller salary.

Edwards shows a lot more potential for what you guys give him but it appears some of you already know that he's gonna be a bust and Ball and Wiseman will be allstars.

As a matter of fact maybe if we can draft Ball AND Wiseman we'd be in the finals next year :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen was in NO WAY responsible for Wiggins being who he was. Wiggins displayed the same exact weakness even going back to college and high school. Wiggins just never gave a crap.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 am
shoteh wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 pm Damn seems like some of yalls are overly butt hurt and dont want to have a conversation about a dude you hardly know about. Sure Wiggins was young once, we took a chance, it didn't pan out now he's an automatic bum. The biggest problem with Wiggins was Glen, not him. You pay a guy for what he's worth and he can still be a part of a winning team. I bet you guys wouldn't be crying if Wiggins had smaller salary.

Edwards shows a lot more potential for what you guys give him but it appears some of you already know that he's gonna be a bust and Ball and Wiseman will be allstars.

As a matter of fact maybe if we can draft Ball AND Wiseman we'd be in the finals next year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glen was in NO WAY responsible for Wiggins being who he was. Wiggins displayed the same exact weakness even going back to college and high school. Wiggins just never gave a crap.
Exactly, it was on Wiggins... There will never be another Wiggins...
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Seems you didn't get my point.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

shoteh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 am

I'm not sure exactly what it was then. Wiggins being who he is has nothing to do with Glen nor his salary. I still wouldn't like Wiggins on a lower salary because he'd be the same chucker who takes shots away from other more deserving players.

shoteh

Post by shoteh »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:28 am
shoteh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 am

I'm not sure exactly what it was then. Wiggins being who he is has nothing to do with Glen nor his salary. I still wouldn't like Wiggins on a lower salary because he'd be the same chucker who takes shots away from other more deserving players.
So you wouldn't like Wiggins in a Lou Williams, nick young, type role?
Last edited by shoteh on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
boo

Post by boo »

The Wiggins/Edwards comps are lazy and stupid.

Wiggins is a fair amount longer, has always had problems with ball handling and most importantly showed no passion for the game.

It doesn't take long watching Edwards to see the ball handling and most importantly engagement in the game is nothing like Wiggins. The biggest comps between the two, is both have the tools to be better on D than they were in college and everyone would like to see them drive to the basket more.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wiggins was a better prospect, I'm just sick of seeing this comp. It doesn't make sense. There are many other comps you can make for Edwards.

Wiggins biggest problem has always been and always will be, that he has not passion for the game. I don't see that with Edwards.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

boo wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am The Wiggins/Edwards comps are lazy and stupid.

Wiggins is a fair amount longer, has always had problems with ball handling and most importantly showed no passion for the game.

It doesn't take long watching Edwards to see the ball handling and most importantly engagement in the game is nothing like Wiggins. The biggest comps between the two, is both have the tools to be better on D than they were in college and everyone would like to see them drive to the basket more.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wiggins was a better prospect, I'm just sick of seeing this comp. It doesn't make sense. There are many other comps you can make for Edwards.

Wiggins biggest problem has always been and always will be, that he has not passion for the game. I don't see that with Edwards.
They both have low b-ball iq’s and mentally check out of games, Edwards has admitted this, more than once. Ppl who talk about Edwards abilities do so while ignoring this and frankly it’s annoying and very misleading. The nba is littered with tons of players who can run fast and jump high, what separates the great players from the busts are mostly iq and effort. Players who don’t realize their potential, in spite of all their athletic gifts, are the ones who can’t grasp a playbook, ones who react instead of anticipate, ones who don’t try 100% of the time. There’s nothing that a coaching staff can do to get this out of someone, it falls on the player to mature and make the change. These aren’t risks a franchise constantly in the lottery and desperate for immediate contributors should be taking, especially with the #1 overall pick
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SKOLMN wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:52 am
boo wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am The Wiggins/Edwards comps are lazy and stupid.

They both have low b-ball iq’s and mentally check out of games, Edwards has admitted this, more than once. Ppl who talk about Edwards abilities do so while ignoring this and frankly it’s annoying and very misleading. The nba is littered with tons of players who can run fast and jump high, what separates the great players from the busts are mostly iq and effort. Players who don’t realize their potential, in spite of all their athletic gifts, are the ones who can’t grasp a playbook, ones who react instead of anticipate, ones who don’t try 100% of the time. There’s nothing that a coaching staff can do to get this out of someone, it falls on the player to mature and make the change. These aren’t risks a franchise constantly in the lottery and desperate for immediate contributors should be taking, especially with the #1 overall pick
Unbelievable. 2nd sentence calls people very misleading. 1st sentence takes a nod in response to his trainer saying he needs to stay fully engaged every minute and claims he has admitted to mentally checking out of games and having a low I.Q. more than once.

Frankly annoying how hard you are trying.................trying? I meant lying to get people do believe you are right. You aren't Keep lying though.

Don't let the facts hit you in the ass on the way out.
witljon

Post by witljon »

For me, I'm for packaging the pick for the rumored trades, but if we keep it, I prefer Edwards over the other prospects.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:46 am Here's a breakdown of how Edwards did against Isaac Okoro, arguably the draft's best defensive player.

Gross.

He takes a lot of really stupid shots, drives into single gaps, holds the ball, and plays brutal defense in that video. He plays as if hes a guy who has never played with other dudes before and doesn't know how to play as part of a team.
1.01 seems high according to that game tape.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

qrocks wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Gross.

"High" is relative this year.
Somebody has to go #1, and every player is flawed.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 pm
qrocks wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Gross.

"High" is relative this year.
Somebody has to go #1, and every player is flawed.
Which sucks that Wolves had to get #1 this year. We would have had better leverage other years, imagine if it was last year.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

The Wolves never paired Wiggins with a PG that was worth a shit after Rubio. Wiggins was better when he had that. If Edwards is from the same cloth as Wiggins he may do well with a good PG like Wiggins was. It helps remove some of the low bbIQ.

DLO my make Edwards a better pick.

I hope Rosas trades the pick and uses his available assets to get a third stud for this Team, to me anything less and Rosas has blown his golden opportunity.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Can't believe I watched 10min of this. Frkn realistic as heck. Haven't picked up a controller for a while, this year is the year due to covid.
witljon

Post by witljon »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:08 pm I hope Rosas trades the pick and uses his available assets to get a third stud for this Team, to me anything less and Rosas has blown his golden opportunity.
Rosas opportunity would be golden if there was a Zion or Ja in this draft.
j2j

Post by j2j »

shoteh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Can't believe I watched 10min of this. Frkn realistic as heck. Haven't picked up a controller for a while, this year is the year due to covid.
Only watched like 5mins that, but crazy how realistic their style of play for each individual player is. Pretty accurate mannerisms and actions.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 am

Only watched like 5mins that, but crazy how realistic their style of play for each individual player is. Pretty accurate mannerisms and actions.
Besides the fact that Juancho looks like Dracula! :lol:
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am
j2j wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 am

Besides the fact that Juancho looks like Dracula! :lol:
lol skip the intros. go to 11min mark or something. Pretty realistic for a video game.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

witljon wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:49 am
jodaman01 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:08 pm I hope Rosas trades the pick and uses his available assets to get a third stud for this Team, to me anything less and Rosas has blown his golden opportunity.
That would have been perfect because in that situation you just make the pick.

In that draft after those two you entered into a bunch of players like what is currently at the top of this draft. Rosas in picking from that ilk of players, took Culver......that disaster is a direct reflection on a real weakness in Rosas’s ability to separate talent at this lower level.

IMO, trading the pick is a safer choice for Rosas because if he actually has to make the pick he will likely take another flop like Culver.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I found it really alarming in the ESPN breakdown that Edwards never finished a high school, AAU, or NCAA season above .500. Losing is a culture just like winning is a culture. The Wolves need more players who have a habit of winning.

This came right before they said he's Oladipo and Mitchell without the defense and right after they said he's Harden without the jump shot. Eesh.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

memyworld wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm I found it really alarming in the ESPN breakdown that Edwards never finished a high school, AAU, or NCAA season above .500. Losing is a culture just like winning is a culture. The Wolves need more players who have a habit of winning.

This came right before they said he's Oladipo and Mitchell without the defense and right after they said he's Harden without the jump shot. Eesh.
I don't have his high school records handy, but he did win a state championship in high school. Hard to believe he had a losing record while accomplishing that.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:27 pm
memyworld wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm I found it really alarming in the ESPN breakdown that Edwards never finished a high school, AAU, or NCAA season above .500. Losing is a culture just like winning is a culture. The Wolves need more players who have a habit of winning.

I don't have his high school records handy, but he did win a state championship in high school. Hard to believe he had a losing record while accomplishing that.
Interesting. I guess ESPN had bad intel?

Still worried about the myriad of other concerns. My gut says he's more Dion Waiters than Oladipo.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Say no to Edwards.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:49 am
Yeah. It’s the catch-22 of the draft. If there’s a stud there you can take him with the #1 or trade for a ransom. If there’s not a stud there, then you can’t take one and nobody’s going to trade you a ransom for it.

- Isaac Asimov