Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Simple Poll: Trade the #1 Pick or Keep it.

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Trade the Pick or keep it?

TRADE
64%
KEEP
21%
Meh
15%

Total votes: 72

UnFadeable21

Re: Simple Poll: Trade the #1 Pick or Keep it.

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Trading No. 1 is an option for Wolves. GM Rosas says:

"We have an open mind as we go through all of this. We want to do what’s best for this organization. And it means being thorough, being diligent and looking at every option. Draft, trade, free agency, whatever the case may be."
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

SKOLMN wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:25 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:49 pm Keep it....Edwards is compared to Dwayne Wade or Donovan Mitchell. Even if that's a fail, you can't fault someone for swinging on him based off that hype. We still have loads of trade ammo, from Brooklyns pick, Okogie, Culver, JJ's expiring, our 2nd. I wouldn't mind trading back, but if we're not reinventing the wheel, take Edwards and hope you hit that great guard that comes out every 10 or so years.

Stay and take Edwards
Chicago offers Lauri and their pick for ours and some ish, I might take that and take Okongwu....but otherwise...I'm ready to roll with Edwards. Beas and Dlo will crush it, but if you can groom another stud to come in and possibly even lead the show one day, do it.
Edwards has motor issues and shot 29% from deep last year, where on earth are you getting wade or Mitchell comps?

Edwards is the one prospect I stay FAR away from. Andrew Wiggins 2.0, best case scenario I could see is demar derozan, but definitely no where near those other comps
He's been compared to Mitchell and Wade in several mocks. Cole Anthony was possible the first pick coming out before last year, and he had a slow start. Potential vs one year of adjusting and possibly being behind the curve doesn't take away from actual upside. Would you rather have DD off the bench at 6 million per vs possibly paying Wiseman the same to develop his body for two years? And futhers, the whole gutting our first pick, possible brooklyn pick and other young pieces for a guy who's really only a little bit better than Malik Beasley. Facts.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:31 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:49 pm Keep it....Edwards is compared to Dwayne Wade or Donovan Mitchell. Even if that's a fail, you can't fault someone for swinging on him based off that hype. We still have loads of trade ammo, from Brooklyns pick, Okogie, Culver, JJ's expiring, our 2nd. I wouldn't mind trading back, but if we're not reinventing the wheel, take Edwards and hope you hit that great guard that comes out every 10 or so years.

Stay and take Edwards
Chicago offers Lauri and their pick for ours and some ish, I might take that and take Okongwu....but otherwise...I'm ready to roll with Edwards. Beas and Dlo will crush it, but if you can groom another stud to come in and possibly even lead the show one day, do it.
Edwards has motor issues and shot 29% from deep last year, where on earth are you getting wade or Mitchell comps?

Edwards is the one prospect I stay FAR away from. Andrew Wiggins 2.0, best case scenario I could see is demar derozan, but definitely no where near those other comps
He's been compared to Mitchell and Wade in several mocks. Cole Anthony was possible the first pick coming out before last year, and he had a slow start. Potential vs one year of adjusting and possibly being behind the curve doesn't take away from actual upside. Would you rather have DD off the bench at 6 million per vs possibly paying Wiseman the same to develop his body for two years? And futhers, the whole gutting our first pick, possible brooklyn pick and other young pieces for a guy who's really only a little bit better than Malik Beasley. Facts.
I’m not opposed to keeping the pick, there’s a few players I’d be ok with drafting, but we should be looking to trade our pick(s) first and foremost. No matter what we do, we need to start winning immediately. Rosas can preach about “3 to 4 years” when referring to draft picks but 3 to 4 years from now towns is gone. Adding 3 rookies to what’s already the league’s youngest roster isn’t going to change anything in the near future
salamander

Post by salamander »

This is what I pulled from some random website. I want a guy who's competitive.

1. Obi Toppin, 6-9 PF, Dayton

Just before the world shut down on college basketball and pretty much everything else, Toppin turned 22. That's why elsewhere you will not see him projected as the No. 1 overall pick. But watch his tape. Look at his stats. Everything about his game screams he will be a first-rate NBA player, potentially a star.

He's got an ideal frame. He's an A-minus athlete. There is zero question about his competitive drive. He can handle the ball in short bursts, passes effectively and is a serious 3-point threat. Anyone who thinks he's done improving just because he's past 20 should look at the difference between his first and second seasons at UD.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Of course the Wolves get the top pick in a sucky draft!!!!

If they could pull off a draft pick swap that is what I would look for first. Move down to #3 or 4, or even lower if the price is right. With such a weak top of the draft, I doubt that you can get a lot to move down but at least with moving down you could potentially acquire some additional assets and/or dump a contract to make the value from the draft more significant in an off year.

And maybe in a perfect world you can move the pick for the right player with the right contract. But are any of the players mentioned by Rubes worth moving on? Is Devin Booker the player you want with three years left on his deal guaranteed at over $101 million? If you want SImmons, do you want his 5 year, $170 million contract? If you traded for Beal, what do you offer him to keep him in Minnesota after the 2020-21 season?

In a dream scenario I would like to trade with Chicago and pick up a future first round pick and drop down to #4. Then I would select Toppin.

But, I doubt any team is going to have enough interest in moving up when the value of 1-5 is so flat. In that case, I would just take Anthony Edwards and hope he can hit his upside on both ends of the court.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 pm Of course the Wolves get the top pick in a sucky draft!!!!

If they could pull off a draft pick swap that is what I would look for first. Move down to #3 or 4, or even lower if the price is right. With such a weak top of the draft, I doubt that you can get a lot to move down but at least with moving down you could potentially acquire some additional assets and/or dump a contract to make the value from the draft more significant in an off year.

And maybe in a perfect world you can move the pick for the right player with the right contract. But are any of the players mentioned by Rubes worth moving on? Is Devin Booker the player you want with three years left on his deal guaranteed at over $101 million? If you want SImmons, do you want his 5 year, $170 million contract? If you traded for Beal, what do you offer him to keep him in Minnesota after the 2020-21 season?

In a dream scenario I would like to trade with Chicago and pick up a future first round pick and drop down to #4. Then I would select Toppin.

But, I doubt any team is going to have enough interest in moving up when the value of 1-5 is so flat. In that case, I would just take Anthony Edwards and hope he can hit his upside on both ends of the court.
I think there are a lot of potential trade partners CHI, CLE and ATL, especially ATL might want Edwards & DET and NY may want Ball...That is 5 of the Top 7 teams that you could easily see intrest and a level (low as it might be) of "bidding". No way do I want Toppin, but if we pick him at 10 or so I have far less of a problem with it. I am not taking him top 7!!! I think there are deals to be had with most of the teams I listed should their interest be high enough...deals where we send out contracts with a constrained roster to maximize what we can bring in via the draft, FA and other trades.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Stay and take Edwards

I like Edwards and believe he could be the guy that gets us the valuable trade we need from other teams. Why stay away from Edwards?
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Simmons or Booker, GET IT DONE ROSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

shoteh wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:32 pm

Stay and take Edwards

I like Edwards and believe he could be the guy that gets us the valuable trade we need from other teams. Why stay away from Edwards?
He told you...did he not?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:27 pm Idk enough about who the players are in this draft to even begin to comment.
This made me laugh lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 pm

Lol STHu.

Motor issues please explain, because he does not give me the same vibe as Wiggins 2.0. This dude has energy and shows it by the plays he makes and his personality on the court.

29% from 3 doesn't mean he's a horrible shooter, if you watch some of his game its because of his poor shot selections. (and yes many times he does shoot the 3 way before he should but this could be corrected)

Motor issues...meh....29% from 3...meh... guess that equals to 1 prospect to steer FAR away from. Edwards is a top 3 pick IMO and so if he wanted to steer far away from Edwards I was hoping for more insight.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 pm All this trade talk reminded me of this commercial. D-LO and Simmons are close friends.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
LOL, that's a pretty good advert apart from Simmons acting.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

morneaumvp wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:36 pm Simmons or Booker, GET IT DONE ROSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knowing Rosas, we will end up with both!
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Trade..

Not sure who yet. Rather just get a solid locked in starter SF/PF vs a piece and a move down.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

shoteh wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:54 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 pm

Lol STHu.

Motor issues please explain, because he does not give me the same vibe as Wiggins 2.0. This dude has energy and shows it by the plays he makes and his personality on the court.

29% from 3 doesn't mean he's a horrible shooter, if you watch some of his game its because of his poor shot selections. (and yes many times he does shoot the 3 way before he should but this could be corrected)

Motor issues...meh....29% from 3...meh... guess that equals to 1 prospect to steer FAR away from. Edwards is a top 3 pick IMO and so if he wanted to steer far away from Edwards I was hoping for more insight.
He has motor issues according to pundits, there could be reasons for it, but if he really truly does have them you cannot fix it. This is well documented. You have will and drive or you don't and it is very reasonable to be bearish on a player who has such question marks. There is not ONE thing you can say to elevate that concern. Period. I frankly watched very little of him so I cannot say anything more than I have researched, but his motor is realistically a concern. So...STFU.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

LordNu wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:58 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:36 pm Simmons or Booker, GET IT DONE ROSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knowing Rosas, we will end up with both!
YESSS WE COMIN WE COMIN!!

j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:08 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 pm The #1 isnt enough to get Booker or Simmons.
1, S&T Beasley, Culver

It will get done.
1, is that even legal.
2, if legal, the timing would be super messy because the draft is before free agency
3, unless Booker specifically asks out the Suns arent interested and a veteran playoff team like Philly is going to want an established star, not lottery tickets(some already scratched).
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:32 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:08 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 pm The #1 isnt enough to get Booker or Simmons.
1, S&T Beasley, Culver

It will get done.
1, is that even legal.
2, if legal, the timing would be super messy because the draft is before free agency
3, unless Booker specifically asks out the Suns arent interested and a veteran playoff team like Philly is going to want an established star, not lottery tickets(some already scratched).
I am NOT 100% positive, but I am fairly sure you cannot combined contracts in a S&T (you can add picks) granted this could have changed...But I think the Beasley S&T ideas are pretty much DOA.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:27 pm Idk enough about who the players are in this draft to even begin to comment.
Neither does anyone else here and that ain't stopping no one.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:56 am
j2j wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:36 am
Neither does anyone else here and that ain't stopping no one.
Your face ain't stopping no one lol
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:46 pm
This made me laugh lol
Your face makes me laugh lol

You seem to be having a thing about faces at the moment.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 am
LordNu wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:08 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:56 am

Your face ain't stopping no one lol
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 am
Your face makes me laugh lol

You seem to be having a thing about faces at the moment.
Yes.
LMAO

Why am I in hysterics?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:21 am
LordNu wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:19 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 am

Yes.
LMAO

Why am I in hysterics?
Fosters?
Pure Blonde cider soon (which is part of the Carlton United brewing Company that does Fosters).

I don't even think you can buy Fosters in Australia.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Stay and take Edwards
The problem is, you need Edwards to be a automatic stud. Will he be? Who knows.

But please don't ever use the words "Develop" or "Groom" here. This franchise never develops anyone into a stud that isn't already one.

I am for staying put and I'll trust Rosas to identify.

Trading back a few picks for some crap shows me that Rosas hasn't identified.

A competent GM should be able to find a guy they like at #1 overall no matter the draft.
But if you believe the best player in the draft will be available at 5, and you are able to trade down to that spot and pick up additional assets while still picking that guy, wouldn't you trade the pick? Why would you just stand pat?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

shangrila wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:54 am

Stay and take Edwards

But please don't ever use the words "Develop" or "Groom" here. This franchise never develops anyone into a stud that isn't already one.

A competent GM should be able to find a guy they like at #1 overall no matter the draft.
But if you believe the best player in the draft will be available at 5, and you are able to trade down to that spot and pick up additional assets while still picking that guy, wouldn't you trade the pick? Why would you just stand pat?
If you believe he is that good, just take him. Don't get cute. Remember what happened last year?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

You people do realize this is it, right?

You get this wrong and the Towns era is essentially over. Just another failure in a long list with this organization.

Many of you want to get too "Cute" here. Trading back 3 spots of a marginal turd isn't worth it. We saw what happened last year. Rosas was caught with his pants down and we ended up with Butter Burger.

Here's what I would do....

1. IDENTIFY! Get yourself the best player with the #1 pick. Hopefully Kid Sanders stays away from this process. No sense getting cute here.

2. Trade #16 and whatever else garbage on the roster that isn't the big 3 and possibly Okogie but if I have to get rid of him, it isn't going to stop me for a established player such as Gordon.
This appeases both sides of the fan base and locker room.

This is the best solution imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 am

If you believe he is that good, just take him. Don't get cute. Remember what happened last year?
What?

Last year we traded up and (according to rumours) missed out on our guy. I'm talking about trading down.

Hell, do what the rumours said Sacramento did years ago; take a guy you like (Tyreke Evans) with a plan to trade down for a couple of guys you like (Jonny Flynn and James Johnson) and then happily bail if either of the guys aren't there.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

shangrila wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:23 am
What?

Last year we traded up and (according to rumours) missed out on our guy. I'm talking about trading down.

Hell, do what the rumours said Sacramento did years ago; take a guy you like (Tyreke Evans) with a plan to trade down for a couple of guys you like (Jonny Flynn and James Johnson) and then happily bail if either of the guys aren't there.
What of you move down and someone takes your guy?

What do you really think you are getting to move back a few spots in this lackluster draft?

If you are talking moving back to a spot like #8, you didn't do your due diligence to IDENTIFY!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 am

What?

What do you really think you are getting to move back a few spots in this lackluster draft?

If you are talking moving back to a spot like #8, you didn't do your due diligence to IDENTIFY!
That's what my other example addressed. You take a guy you like at #1 but also have a trade in place with someone else and, if another guy you like equally ends up at their pick, you can trade down with them. If that other guy never makes it to their pick you don't make the trade. Simple.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

shangrila wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:49 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 am
What?

That's what my other example addressed. You take a guy you like at #1 but also have a trade in place with someone else and, if another guy you like equally ends up at their pick, you can trade down with them. If that other guy never makes it to their pick you don't make the trade. Simple.
You better make sure that said "Trade" is final. Rosas getting caught with his pants down is not a option this year.

I still say take your guy at #1 and don't look back. I see nobody giving up any real value for a few spots up in this draft. I don't want to trade out of the top 3 or 4.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if you do a trade back, make sure that you KNOW someone you want will be there at that spot. if you can do that and still pick up a valuable player from another team, then go for it. that's why i like mitchell robinson from the knicks. he can certainly help this team as an interior rim defender, runs the floor like a deer and dunks anything close to the basket. NY sits at 8 - we also need a young talented SF to add to the team - and there is NO WAY that one of avdija, vassell or okoro will NOT be there at 8. i'll bet two of them will be there at 8 - at least. it's an idea that we couldn't screw up.

SI just did a post lottery two round draft - and avdija went 8th, vassell 9th - so, by that mock, both would be there for us with NY's pick. they also had oturu picked 37th - so he'd be there for us at 33. pick up a cheap third FA PG like gary payton II (athletic defender) - and boom.

DLo - JMac - Payton II
Beasley - Culver - Nowell
Avdija or Vassell - Layman - Okogie
KAT - JJ - Vanderbilt
Robinson - Reid - Oturu
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.