Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NBA Returns July 31st

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Mplsfonz

NBA Returns July 31st

Post by Mplsfonz »

22 teams to play an 8 regular season games, and potential play in tourney to determine playoff field starting July 31st until ending mid October.

Current PO teams, and teams within 6 games of a PO spot.
No, Por, Phx, Sacto, SA and Wsh get to compete for the title. (I think that's how I understood it)

That's okay with me, but I have a question. When will the lotto/draft take place?
And, what if Bkl get knocked off?
Not looking good for that extra pick.
Corre Ricky Corre

Re: NBA Returns July 31st

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

The NBA's draft lottery is expected to be held in August, one of many topics Adam Silver will propose during Thursday's meeting with the Board of Governors.
As previously reported, the league hopes to resume play on July 31 with 22 teams in Orlando. All 16 teams currently qualifying for the playoffs would be invited, as well as six more teams vying for a spot. There would be a play-in tournament with proposed rules you can read about via the link below. The idea of all 30 teams returning to play is reportedly no longer being considered, and Michael Jordan was "outspoken" on a recent call, "[A]dvocating for player safety and not having players have to return for meaningless games following a four-plus month hiatus." We're anticipating the final details on Thursday.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm The NBA's draft lottery is expected to be held in August, one of many topics Adam Silver will propose during Thursday's meeting with the Board of Governors.
As previously reported, the league hopes to resume play on July 31 with 22 teams in Orlando. All 16 teams currently qualifying for the playoffs would be invited, as well as six more teams vying for a spot. There would be a play-in tournament with proposed rules you can read about via the link below. The idea of all 30 teams returning to play is reportedly no longer being considered, and Michael Jordan was "outspoken" on a recent call, "[A]dvocating for player safety and not having players have to return for meaningless games following a four-plus month hiatus." We're anticipating the final details on Thursday.
Where would that put the Bkl pick considering they would still be playing? Doesn't make sense to me.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Are they still planning on starting the 2020-2021 season on time, since that would be just weeks after the end of this proposed season?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 pm Are they still planning on starting the 2020-2021 season on time, since that would be just weeks after the end of this proposed season?
That's what I'm wondering also, and the same with hockey. If these leagues started up in July sometime or early August, the teams that do the best would end up playing right up to about the time next season were to begin. So, is there something in the works that would delay next season a month or so or are they really expecting teams to finish this season and then shortly thereafter start another complete year? If so aren't we asking for trouble injury wise? I think greed is going to win out for these 2 leagues and there will be games played, but there has been such a long layoff and with Covid and rioting going on I'm really not in the mood to watch sports right now (except ESPN classic games and 30 for 30 documentaries)!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
T_J

Post by T_J »

I bet it would start at Christmas.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Hornets wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 pm Are they still planning on starting the 2020-2021 season on time, since that would be just weeks after the end of this proposed season?
That's what I'm wondering also, and the same with hockey. If these leagues started up in July sometime or early August, the teams that do the best would end up playing right up to about the time next season were to begin. So, is there something in the works that would delay next season a month or so or are they really expecting teams to finish this season and then shortly thereafter start another complete year? If so aren't we asking for trouble injury wise? I think greed is going to win out for these 2 leagues and there will be games played, but there has been such a long layoff and with Covid and rioting going on I'm really not in the mood to watch sports right now (except ESPN classic games and 30 for 30 documentaries)!
plus the draft and free agency are super entertaining, I think more entertaining than the regular season.
so I'd hate to have a truncated version of that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm
plus the draft and free agency are super entertaining, I think more entertaining than the regular season.
so I'd hate to have a truncated version of that.
I agree! Let's just sadly say that there will be no finish to these seasons and move on. My hope is that the NFL is able to start up and that hockey and basketball can have full 2020-21 seasons!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Wow seems late in the year to start
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:52 pm Wow seems late in the year to start
Well, you can make some excuses for the Sixers not doing anything again this year. :naners:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Well, you can make some excuses for the Sixers not doing anything again this year. :naners:
:lol: :beer:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:11 pm
Your squad needs to do the same as the Wolves, Trade their biggest star before the rest of the league realizes what frauds they are.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Your squad needs to do the same as the Wolves, Trade their biggest star before the rest of the league realizes what frauds they are.
Two different players, JoJo is probably the second best defensive C in the NBA. Philadelphia consistently wins 50 plus games a year Minnesota just 25. There no comparison between the two.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

D_H wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Two different players, JoJo is probably the second best defensive C in the NBA. Philadelphia consistently wins 50 plus games a year Minnesota just 25. There no comparison between the two.
Both complete mental midgets. Neither will ever win a championship being the top guy on theorw team.

Book it!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am 22 teams to play an 8 regular season games, and potential play in tourney to determine playoff field starting July 31st until ending mid October.

Current PO teams, and teams within 6 games of a PO spot.
No, Por, Phx, Sacto, SA and Wsh get to compete for the title. (I think that's how I understood it)

That's okay with me, but I have a question. When will the lotto/draft take place?
And, what if Bkl get knocked off?
Not looking good for that extra pick.
are the playoff races still split between conferences - or have they just lumped it together so that the playoff teams will be the those with the best overall records? if it's still split by conference (which i think it is), then it would take a lot for washington to make up the 6 game difference that they are behind brooklyn in just the 8 games that are going to be played before the playoffs. i suppose it "could" happen - that's why those teams have been included, but likely? - i don't think so. bottom line - i think we'll keep our 16th pick from brooklyn.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

They should take 9 from each. Those other West teams are hot garbage.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm
Sweet. We get the NBA back while the Wolves stay in the top 3 group for the 1st overall pick. :beer:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm Image
:lol:
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I wonder if this will actually hurt our team more than anything. I am in two minds, the protests and KAT's mothers passing have destroyed the morale of the side.

Positives are: we don't risk injury, we don't have to play pointless games as we weren't going to make the playoffs, and we keep a high pick. But man, as the other 5 sides get to go, it's going to really stink.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Why is it end of July?

They need what? A week to get back into shape, if that?
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:20 pm They should take 9 from each. Those other West teams are hot garbage.
Yeah it's bad. Portland and NO should be the only extra teams in the west. But at least we will be able to have Ricky Rubio game threads for a while :beer:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:20 pm They should take 9 from each. Those other West teams are hot garbage.
Yeah it's bad. Portland and NO should be the only extra teams in the west. But at least we will be able to have Ricky Rubio game threads for a while :beer:
FUCKING A!!!!
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

LordNu wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 pm
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 pm
FUCKING A!!!!

Let's go Suns!!!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

okay, i take back what i said earlier about thinking our brooklyn pick was safe. it may not be.

with 16 playoff teams - these 13 teams for sure are in - lakers, clippers, nuggets, jazz, thunder, rockets, mavericks, bucks, raptors, celtics, heat, pacers, and sixers. with just 8 games to be played to determine the playoff picture, i don't think these teams can be caught unless maybe the mavs or sixers bottom out. but even then, it's probably a mathematical impossibility for them to miss the playoffs.

that leaves 9 teams who are going to be scrabbling for the final three playoff spots.

grizzlies 32-33
nets 30-34
magic 30-35
blazers 29-37
pels 28-36
kings 28-36
spurs 27-36
suns 26-39
wizards 24-40

obviously a lot can shake up in that grouping with 8 games to go and just 3 of these teams making the cut.

and 8 teams, of course, aren't part of this process - wolves, hornets, bulls, knicks, pistons, hawks, cavs and warriors.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

I wonder how KD is feeling?
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 pm okay, i take back what i said earlier about thinking our brooklyn pick was safe. it may not be.

with 16 playoff teams - these 13 teams for sure are in - lakers, clippers, nuggets, jazz, thunder, rockets, mavericks, bucks, raptors, celtics, heat, pacers, and sixers. with just 8 games to be played to determine the playoff picture, i don't think these teams can be caught unless maybe the mavs or sixers bottom out. but even then, it's probably a mathematical impossibility for them to miss the playoffs.

that leaves 9 teams who are going to be scrabbling for the final three playoff spots.

grizzlies 32-33
nets 30-34
magic 30-35
blazers 29-37
pels 28-36
kings 28-36
spurs 27-36
suns 26-39
wizards 24-40

obviously a lot can shake up in that grouping with 8 games to go and just 3 of these teams making the cut.

and 8 teams, of course, aren't part of this process - wolves, hornets, bulls, knicks, pistons, hawks, cavs and warriors.
Wait, so is it not set up where the playoffs will still be 8 teams from the West and 8 teams from the East? Why wouldn't they just do that? The point of having the additional teams is because they had a chance to get into their conference tournament first.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:56 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 pm okay, i take back what i said earlier about thinking our brooklyn pick was safe. it may not be.

grizzlies 32-33
nets 30-34
magic 30-35
blazers 29-37
pels 28-36
kings 28-36
spurs 27-36
suns 26-39
wizards 24-40

Wait, so is it not set up where the playoffs will still be 8 teams from the West and 8 teams from the East? Why wouldn't they just do that? The point of having the additional teams is because they had a chance to get into their conference tournament first.
It's stupid. The NBA has botched this. Just start the playoffs as normal.

I also don't get why they are not starting for two more months.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i might be wrong about all of this. just from looking at what they've set up though - it looks like they're going a straight "best records get in" format regardless of conference. can someone confirm this - cuz i am just hunching here from what i've seen with who's included in these final 8 games.