Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Most overrated NBA players

NBA Chat
bubu dubu.

Most overrated NBA players

Post by bubu dubu. »

Who you got?

I'll start.

Yao Ming.

Never really healthy, never hit his potential, never had a truly great season, no real success in the playoffs, playing career dead at the age of 30...he's in the HoF with mediocre numbers (compared to other HoF members). He himself admitted not being worthy of his HoF, or even his first all star game. The Chinese market certainly had a lot to do with individual accolades in the NBA, such as being an 8 time all star.

Vince Carter.
His dunk heroics speak louder to individual fans than his actual NBA success. I still feel he's worthy of HoF, but his dunking ability has people thinking he's greater than he is.

Allen Iverson
Chucker in the purest form. Insanely low shooting percentages to be shooting 22 times per game. In his highest ppg season, he was shooting below 40%.

Russ Westbrook
Upper-echelon players who leave OKC seem to get better when they no longer have to play with Russ...Durant, Oladipo, Harden. He holds back star level players with his insane usage percentage. He may have missed his era. Could have been a transformational player in the 90's, in this era though, he won't be able to carry a team to the top levels. In this era, you can't be a career 30% three point shooter when you have the usage rate that Russ does...I wonder what OKC would be now, if they decided to go with Harden and Durant over Westbrook and Durant...probably at least one championship.

Ndudi Ebi
Drafted in the 1st round. Teams carried him to the playoffs. shot 0% from 3. Numbers are greatly inflated by his second and last season in the NBA.
YBBR

Re: Most overrated NBA players

Post by YBBR »

Always disliked Iverson. Agreed 100%. Hell of an isolation player, but that's all he could do.

If Ming wasn't 7 ft 5in and stayed healthy he would have been HoF easily. He had great skills and footwork. He started slower but progressed quickly. McGrady was too much flash, Ming could have been real winner with a decent team around him.

Vince is appropriately rated. Russ is good and his book is still being written.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm Always disliked Iverson. Agreed 100%. Hell of an isolation player, but that's all he could do.

If Ming wasn't 7 ft 5in and stayed healthy he would have been HoF easily. He had great skills and footwork. He started slower but progressed quickly. McGrady was too much flash, Ming could have been real winner with a decent team around him.

Vince is appropriately rated. Russ is good and his book is still being written.
I feel if Ming wasnt 7'5 he wouldnt be the player he was. He had some great years, but it was a very small sample size.

Again, I feel Vince's dunking ability and highlights puts him over where he should be ranked.

Russ is a fantastic player, but his time is running out. He's a one man crew, and again, upper echelon players who leave Russ seem to get better. Likewise, upper echelon players who join him, seem to get worse (Paul George for example). Maybe it isnt his fault, maybe he could be a guy to build around with the right players. He just might be a casualty of the new era of jamming stars together...but it is what it is. He was arguably the #1 guy between Durant/Harden and himself...turns out, he should have been the odd man out in that trio.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I mean the lower body stuff for a guy like Yao. It crippled him. That's what I mean when I say the 7ft 5in thing.

Russ is weird because he is really good, but he's had struggles with team success in terms of relative talent around him. I think you kind of build around him like LeBron. Imagine if you get out of his way and open up the lanes let him go crazy on the rim and surround him with shooters. That might be a way for his team to really succeed.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:32 am I mean the lower body stuff for a guy like Yao. It crippled him. That's what I mean when I say the 7ft 5in thing.

Russ is weird because he is really good, but he's had struggles with team success in terms of relative talent around him. I think you kind of build around him like LeBron. Imagine if you get out of his way and open up the lanes let him go crazy on the rim and surround him with shooters. That might be a way for his team to really succeed.
Thats what I was saying with him being a victim of his era. In the past, you put shooters around him. In the now, you jam stars around him and hope they fit.