Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Oriole81

Re: **Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

Post by Oriole81 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 am
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:34 am The NCAA is a monopoly and they are acting like it, look how they fight this all the time, why, because they feel like they are losing money to the players. Fed should probably break it up at this point.
I agree with that, I don't see that as government oversight. It just shouldn't be a state legislature going after an interstate commerce governing body.

I'd also be interested to see if the conferences could just try to go out on their own. They have the infrastructure all in place in theory.
I like how the NCAA likes to play it off like this is some high ground moral issue when it's all about them lining their pockets. If they really cared about these kids and families, they would do the exact opposite.
One that really bugs me is the way they even hold tight on college athletes that go on to have Olympic success. A college swimmer is not going to “go pro” and become an automatic millionaire like football/basketball players, so they have a finite amount of time to profit off of their Olympic success, yet the NCAA will try to strip them of their eligibility to come back if they do.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 am I like how the NCAA likes to play it off like this is some high ground moral issue when it's all about them lining their pockets. If they really cared about these kids and families, they would do the exact opposite.
Do these kids and their families really care about the NCAA or the school?

College is a business, of course their goal is to make money. Why would we assume they really care about these people more than the reason they exist (to make money).

Its just confuses me how the NCAA owe these kids anything. Go do what Mitchell Robinson did and become a second round pick rather than a lotto pick if you dont like the NCAA and you feel so used. But like I said, nobody will mention how Zion is going to make MILLIONS more due to going to college than if he would have gone another route. They gave him a platform to display his abilities and try to improve his earning potential all while paying for his schooling. But people want to get stuck on the idea that they benefit from it? Of course they do, its literally why they exist.
How does an athlete profiting off their likeness though adversely affect the NCAA or its earning power? If Zion wanted to go do an autograph signing and charge $50 a pop, what's wrong with that?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:29 pm
NotRasho wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Do these kids and their families really care about the NCAA or the school?

College is a business, of course their goal is to make money. Why would we assume they really care about these people more than the reason they exist (to make money).

Its just confuses me how the NCAA owe these kids anything. Go do what Mitchell Robinson did and become a second round pick rather than a lotto pick if you dont like the NCAA and you feel so used. But like I said, nobody will mention how Zion is going to make MILLIONS more due to going to college than if he would have gone another route. They gave him a platform to display his abilities and try to improve his earning potential all while paying for his schooling. But people want to get stuck on the idea that they benefit from it? Of course they do, its literally why they exist.
How does an athlete profiting off their likeness though adversely affect the NCAA or its earning power? If Zion wanted to go do an autograph signing and charge $50 a pop, what's wrong with that?
I dunno, ask the NCAA.

My stance is simply that they offer scholarships for sports participation. As part of the offer of that scholarship they are allowed to set whatever criteria they would like, its a personal contract. If you dont like the terms, dont take the offer.

Maybe they are concerned with where the line is drawn? What would prevent a smaller league, say the big 3 or Lavar Ball, from paying college players to participate? But again, ask the NCAA on that one.
What is this 1920?
How dare you think to ask for minimum wages, overtime, healthy working conditions, child labor protections, sick leave/family sick leave protection if you want to keep this job?

You can be a pro market guy and side with the owner/governing body vs the proletariat without having blind approval of every random pwoer they want to try to seize.

I agree with you that the players voluntarily entered into these agreements and I agree with you that Zion profited by playing a year at Duke vs trying other routes, but that doesn't mean I blindly agree with everything the NCAA tries to pull. That's not a very enlightened way of thinking IMO.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am

Here's the thing, the individual players do have value outside of just the school brand. Do you think Joe bench guy is going to get local car commercial offers or do the best players that actually promote the college by being good will get the offers?

Profiting off yourself is no different than having a part time job.

I'm fine with the college not "paying" the players (outside of tuition) but outside of that, the NCAA should have no say.

Why are people so against people making a living? Is it jealousy? Mlhouse for being a card carrying free market guy is stuck in the dark ages of college athletics and personal freedoms. Many of these kids are poor, their families are poor, god forbid they make some money out in the open rather than back channels.
1. Again, how much television and radio revenue would a team whose starting lineup consisted of Amir Coffey-Jordan Murphy-Daniel Oturu-Gabe Kalsheur and Dupree McBrayer have? If you do not know the answer, the answer is a BIG FAT ZERO. Yet, put them in a yellow gold basketball uniform with the brand name of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers and they suddenly have value.

2. Making a living? If they want to go make a living right out of high school, there are always things called JOBS. THey aren't fucking forced to accept Division 1 full ride athletic scholarships.

3. On the other hand, a handful of players each year like Zion do have value. AND THEY ARE GETTING IT FROM THEIR EXPOSURE AS NCAA ATHLETES. It is a deferred value. All of his media exposure as a NCAA basketball player at Duke means that once he dumps the college he is worth a 7 year, $75 million shoe endorsement deal. If he is the #1 draft pick in baseball, a non-revenue sport in college, and heading for a few years in the minor leagues there isn't a $10 million annual endorsement deal waiting for him.

4. The deferred value is why professional basketball and football continue to use the NCAA college teams as their minor leagues. Their professional leagues profit from having their entry level players enter as stars.

While I essentially oppose "paying" college athletes, I have always proposed a reasonable compromise that I think has multiple benefits. In the revenue sports (the argument cannot be made for non-revenue sports), each team would get a certain number of scholarships to offer with various levels of monthly stipends. As an example. for football, each team might be allowed 10 scholarships with a $2,000/month stipend, another 10 with $1,000/month.... A high level recruit might have an offer from Alabama or Clemson, but they have already committed all of their paying scholarships so some of them might be diverted to other programs that can offer them the better ride.

Of course, I think that a lot of the marketing value of the NCAA sports are derived from creating these virtually unchallengable powerhouse teams like Alabama and Clemson in football; Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina amongst some others in basketball so they really don't have much interest in ideas of competitive play amongst student athletes.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

2 things.

1st paying college guys more than a guy who cleans the rec center is stupid. A scholarship is worth a ton. Not to mention if you stay for a minute and succeed you have a job in that town for the rest of your life. The problem has been that there weren't other options for those pro wanna be's other than packing it for a foreign country to sit on a bench and hurt your draft value. That's not the case anymore. Shoe companies pay guys not to play. Guys can go to Australia where they speak the language and the competition is more akin to college. Guys can go to the Gleague.

2nd the NBA does not profit from having college as their minor league. They have a minor league and college destroys the value of it. If Zion is playing in the G last year and not on Duke who you watching? The NBA is a joke on this. Penny wise and pound foolish. A couple extra bucks invested comes back 100 fold if you have 20 of the top 40 recruits in the G and not college. Have said from day 1 that the G became every team has a team that high school players should be draft eligible. If they want to go to school you retain their rights. If not they have to spend the entire "freshman" year in the G. NBA could either maximize NBA TV by showing games all day every day or they could get a national TV contract from a big money station willing to go up against shitty thursday night NCAA basketball. It's a huge short sighted, missed opportunity both from a money and development standpoint.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

My daughter has a "home visit" coming up with a division 1 college coach. I wonder if we should talk about being paid beyond the scholarship dough?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shaun livingston just called it quits. was that coming from a mile away and i just missed it, or is this a surprise?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:03 pm shaun livingston just called it quits. was that coming from a mile away and i just missed it, or is this a surprise?
He made a lot of money and I have to imagine played through a lot of pain. Probably looking at a life of limps and knee replacements. What's really left for him to play for? He's got championships. Probably the most successful return from catastrophic injury in sports history.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Here's the thing, the individual players do have value outside of just the school brand. Do you think Joe bench guy is going to get local car commercial offers or do the best players that actually promote the college by being good will get the offers?

I'm fine with the college not "paying" the players (outside of tuition) but outside of that, the NCAA should have no say.

Why are people so against people making a living? Is it jealousy? Mlhouse for being a card carrying free market guy is stuck in the dark ages of college athletics and personal freedoms. Many of these kids are poor, their families are poor, god forbid they make some money out in the open rather than back channels.
1. Again, how much television and radio revenue would a team whose starting lineup consisted of Amir Coffey-Jordan Murphy-Daniel Oturu-Gabe Kalsheur and Dupree McBrayer have? If you do not know the answer, the answer is a BIG FAT ZERO. Yet, put them in a yellow gold basketball uniform with the brand name of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers and they suddenly have value.

2. Making a living? If they want to go make a living right out of high school, there are always things called JOBS. THey aren't fucking forced to accept Division 1 full ride athletic scholarships.

3. On the other hand, a handful of players each year like Zion do have value. AND THEY ARE GETTING IT FROM THEIR EXPOSURE AS NCAA ATHLETES. It is a deferred value. All of his media exposure as a NCAA basketball player at Duke means that once he dumps the college he is worth a 7 year, $75 million shoe endorsement deal. If he is the #1 draft pick in baseball, a non-revenue sport in college, and heading for a few years in the minor leagues there isn't a $10 million annual endorsement deal waiting for him.

4. The deferred value is why professional basketball and football continue to use the NCAA college teams as their minor leagues. Their professional leagues profit from having their entry level players enter as stars.

While I essentially oppose "paying" college athletes, I have always proposed a reasonable compromise that I think has multiple benefits. In the revenue sports (the argument cannot be made for non-revenue sports), each team would get a certain number of scholarships to offer with various levels of monthly stipends. As an example. for football, each team might be allowed 10 scholarships with a $2,000/month stipend, another 10 with $1,000/month.... A high level recruit might have an offer from Alabama or Clemson, but they have already committed all of their paying scholarships so some of them might be diverted to other programs that can offer them the better ride.

Of course, I think that a lot of the marketing value of the NCAA sports are derived from creating these virtually unchallengable powerhouse teams like Alabama and Clemson in football; Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina amongst some others in basketball so they really don't have much interest in ideas of competitive play amongst student athletes.
Sounds reasonable.

For me, I see a problem. This opens it up for shoe companies bidding on players and allotting them to their favored teams. Or some rich team benefactor (like the late T. Boone Pickens of OK) legally channeling money to recruits. Are there some safeguards against that?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:57 am
mlhouse wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Sounds reasonable.

For me, I see a problem. This opens it up for shoe companies bidding on players and allotting them to their favored teams. Or some rich team benefactor (like the late T. Boone Pickens of OK) legally channeling money to recruits. Are there some safeguards against that?
That is why there are rules against this to begin with. Even with rules there is a lot of cheating, players getting their visit money and other payoffs. The NCAA just winks at all of this, doesn't enforce the rules against hte money making teams, and even when they know they violated, they do not enforce punishment equally.

The endorsement rule is a bad rule.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I have this strange belief that an individual should be free to make whatever someone is willing to pay them; no matter if they're in theater, the math department, or play sports. Go free market Capitalism. :shrug:
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:25 pm I have this strange belief that an individual should be free to make whatever someone is willing to pay them; no matter if they're in theater, the math department, or play sports. Go free market Capitalism. :shrug:
Then don't agree to terms where you play for "free" and are closed out of other opportunities. You are just as free to try and make money as someone is free to offer you nothing and less than favorable terms. That is free market Capitalism.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:25 pm I have this strange belief that an individual should be free to make whatever someone is willing to pay them; no matter if they're in theater, the math department, or play sports. Go free market Capitalism. :shrug:
Then don't agree to terms where you play for "free" and are closed out of other opportunities. You are just as free to try and make money as someone is free to offer you nothing and less than favorable terms. That is free market Capitalism.
Exactly.

The other issue is what exactly is "pay"? IS the $250,000 kick back and $80,000 Range Rover a Booster gives to the afeet "pay"?

Again, the NCAA is corrupt. What they should do instead of paying student athletes is just enforce the admission requirements on all entering students, athletes and all. A significant percentage (95%?) of the revenue sports D1 athletes would not be eligible to go to most of these schools. If this were the case the NBA and NFL would set up their own minor league systems and the players would get paid as professional athletes, which is what they want.

IN the end, even though a lot of revenue would be lost, it would not have any real impact on the colleges. WIth all of this revenue being derived from sports, has tuition gone down? Has the amount of funding gone down? Not at all. Sports revenues really do not help anything but the athletic departments and the high end administration.
j2j

Post by j2j »

But only athletes are bound by those rules. I'm not saying the college or NCAA should pay them. I'm saying they should have the freedom to market their likeness, sell their autograph, or make whatever money an outside source is willing to pay them just like every other student in the school.

There is no rational reason why student A should be able to and student B shouldn't be able to, just because student A is in the math department and student B is on the rowing team.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm
But only athletes are bound by those rules. I'm not saying the college or NCAA should pay them. I'm saying they should have the freedom to market their likeness, sell their autograph, or make whatever money an outside source is willing to pay them just like every other student in the school.

There is no rational reason why student A should be able to and student B shouldn't be able to, just because student A is in the math department and student B is on the rowing team.
Everyone is bound by different rules THEY AGREE TO. Have you heard of convenients to not compete/Non compete agreements?

The rationale is that we are talking amateur sports, and keeping them as such. Do I agree they should be allowed to have a part-time job... perhaps (in a perfect world), but how many of those jobs would be no-show jobs offered by boosters, thus paying them as a result of their athletics? That destroys amateur sports and that is what they are trying to avoid and is also why they have the terms they do?

If kids want to be professionals, become one, but guess what???? You might not be allowed to take a second job due to your contract. You might no be able to ride motorcycles or a bunch of other things as well...just saying.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Interesting how certain people get super upset about other people getting paid. Gotta keep the NCAA swimming in billions while the worker gets peanuts. :lol:

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 am Interesting how certain people get super upset about other people getting paid. Gotta keep the NCAA swimming in billions while the worker gets peanuts. :lol:
I have no problem with people getting paid. Make as much as you can, but if you have that attitude AND are good enough, amateur sports are not for you. Be an amateur or be a professional. That is not hard to understand.

I am much more upset the NBA and NFL have restrictions via non statutory labor execptions that in effect colluded to keep kids in college or High School from becoming professionals. The NCAA being an institution for amateurs...not so much.

NCAA executive wages are an issue, just like many not for profits, and are they too big absolutely. Teddy Roseavelt when setting it up never saw this, but you have to remove the corruption while maintaining amateur sports. Just as you need to maintain the ability to volunteer for charity.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 am Interesting how certain people get super upset about other people getting paid. Gotta keep the NCAA swimming in billions while the worker gets peanuts. :lol:
No kidding. There's something "off" about people saying how getting a scholarship is fair compensation but that is BS for the athletes that are good enough that someone will pay them. Whoopdefuckingdo I got awarded a scholarship even though I'll only be attending for not even a year and will likely not even attend classes.

It's not fair to "award" a kid a useless scholarship and then use the money that he generated to subsidize everyone else.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 am
No kidding. There's something "off" about people saying how getting a scholarship is fair compensation but that is BS for the athletes that are good enough that someone will pay them. Whoopdefuckingdo I got awarded a scholarship even though I'll only be attending for not even a year and will likely not even attend classes.

It's not fair to "award" a kid a useless scholarship and then use the money that he generated to subsidize everyone else.
These people are amateurs not professionals, they are not signing up to get paid. If you want to get paid, become a professional. If you want college sports to be professional, then get rid of them, same with High School...i.e. be more like Europe. My tax dollars do not need to fund professional sports. Be real about what is what.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 am

These people are amateurs not professionals, they are not signing up to get paid. If you want to get paid, become a professional. If you want college sports to be professional, then get rid of them, same with High School...i.e. be more like Europe. My tax dollars do not need to fund professional sports. Be real about what is what.
Your tax dollars wouldn't be funding professional sports if all students were allowed profit of their name and likeness.

It's very telling that you have no problem with your tax dollars going to paying coaches multi-million dollar contracts, 100million dollar stadiums, and practice facilities.

Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

"These people are amateurs not professionals"....

LMFAO! LOL!!!!! OH MY GOD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL..... Oh man, I needed that. Awesome joke. Love it. NCAA "student athletes" are amateurs not professionals. Phew... that's a great one.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 am

Your tax dollars wouldn't be funding professional sports if all students were allowed profit of their name and likeness.

It's very telling that you have no problem with your tax dollars going to paying coaches multi-million dollar contracts, 100million dollar stadiums, and practice facilities.
I do have a problem with paying coaches via my tax dollars. Don't put words in my mouth. Just like building stadiums. I am not even for subsidizing amateur sports, let alone pro sports.

If you want to benefit from your likeness become a professional...otherwise you are entering into a contract that is NOT about making money, but instead about being an amateur where the money generated is for the betterment of amateur sports... past, current and future. I am for removing hurdles to have a greater choice in becoming a professional. Just as I don't think you need to be forced into a union to subsidize others. THIS IS BASIC STUFF.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am "These people are amateurs not professionals"....

LMFAO! LOL!!!!! OH MY GOD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL..... Oh man, I needed that. Awesome joke. Love it. NCAA "student athletes" are amateurs not professionals. Phew... that's a great one.
Let's pay HS kids...right? They are amateurs like it or not. Otherwise I look forward to my backpay for 6 years.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

DP.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_BROKE keeps saying his opinion is “not that hard to understand” and “THIS IS BASIC STUFF” when...

... this debate has been ongoing for decades.

Take a breath and consider that the issue is probably more complex than how you see it.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm
j2j wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 am

I do have a problem with paying coaches via my tax dollars. Don't put words in my mouth. Just like building stadiums. I am not even for subsidizing amateur sports, let alone pro sports.

If you want to benefit from your likeness become a professional...otherwise you are entering into a contract that is NOT about making money, but instead about being an amateur where the money generated is for the betterment of amateur sports... past, current and future. I am for removing hurdles to have a greater choice in becoming a professional. Just as I don't think you need to be forced into a union to subsidize others. THIS IS BASIC STUFF.
Why are you assuming the schools/ncaa is paying these players? The income is outside that. So why is there an issue with a student having a part time job?

You want to know why? Because once these kids make some money, the school loses their grip on them.

A coach can quit today, abandon the program and sign tomorrow with another school. A kid must sit out because...they want to control them.

Amateurs. :lol:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm SO_BROKE keeps saying his opinion is “not that hard to understand” and “THIS IS BASIC STUFF” when...

Take a breath and consider that the issue is probably more complex than how you see it.
I can do without the name calling. It is not complicated, period...the reason why people have issues is that the professional options via non statutory labor execptions have screwed the kids over to the point they cannot make money as a professional. Yeah unions! It is BS. If you are good enough you should be able to be a professional regardless of age, just like any other job should be.

If you remove options through professional unions it becomes complicated to some because it is unfair. Amateur sports is not the origin of the problem however...And it is not complicated for most.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm SO_BROKE keeps saying his opinion is “not that hard to understand” and “THIS IS BASIC STUFF” when...

I can do without the name calling. It is not complicated, period...the reason why people have issues is that the professional options via non statutory labor execptions have screwed the kids over to the point they cannot make money as a professional. Yeah unions! It is BS. If you are good enough you should be able to be a professional regardless of age, just like any other job should be.

If you remove options through professional unions it becomes complicated to some because it is unfair. Amateur sports is not the origin of the problem however.
“I could do without the name calling”... says the guy who called me a liar non-stop and was wrong the entire time.

Head on over to the pics thread and see me in the Himalayas, asshole.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Folks seriously should watch "Foul Play: Paid in Mississippi", a documentary about Laremy Tunsil, and just how corrupt the whole collegiate system is regarding sports. Obviously football and basketball are the big money makers, and you cannot tell me these kids are "student athletes", take that Orwellian shit somewhere else.