Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
winforlose

Re: **Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

Post by winforlose »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 am
winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am Three trades to make us better.

1. Teague and Toliver for TJ Warren.
2. Taj for Kelly Olynyk
3. Rose and throw ins and our 2019 first for one of these young PGs. In order of highest priority (one of these teams hopefully would accept.) 1.DSJ from Dallas, or Alexander from Clippers, or Frank Ntilikina from Knicks.

Reasons teams would do trade 3.

Dallas knows that DSJ and Doncic don't play well together. Getting Rose via trade and then extending him (either before or right after the trade,) gives them bench scoring and allows them to use either barrea or any 2 they want with Doncic if he plays the point.

Clippers would be sacrificing a future piece to try and win the west (and in theory the title if they can get by GSW.)

Knicks would want to extend Rose than use him to show they are serious about contending next year (thus attracting a great free agent )
These ideas need serious work.

TJ Warren and Wiggins is a horrible, no shooting combination.

Similarly, Olynyk and Saric have too much overlap.

Clippers will not trade SGA for Rose.

Knicks don’t want Rose back.

I want no part of Ntilikina. He sucks.

That leaves Rose + for DSJ. I’d try to pawn off Teague to them first.
I am confused about a few of your comments.

1. Olynyk and Saric are similar, why is this bad. We have seen floor spacing is much better with Kat and Saric on the floor together. Olynyk brings the same spacing to the second unit which works well for a second unit PG who can drive and score. Also Olynyk being 7 ft means when he plays with Gorgui we have two 7 ft rebounders. Seems valuable to me.

2. T.J Warren is a great shooter who is inconsistent from the 3. He has had a great season so far from 3 and had s 40 percent year his second year as well. The other years he was basically a mid range threat. I agree it is a risk, but he gives Pheonix good production and is on a reasonable contract. Also I want him as the 6th man with Roco getting the start. Warren would be our primary threat but would be a big part of a swing offense with KBD and Olynyk (assuming we can get everyone shooting decent percentage from 3 if open.) Now you have Okogie and the young PG playing drive and kick (then swing ball as necessary to get the open 3.) Or you use Gorgui instead of KBD and add rebounding.

3. Clippers need someone like Rose and I think they might give up SGA if they honestly believe it can win them the West.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

winforlose wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am
thinktank wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 am
winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am Three trades to make us better.

1. Teague and Toliver for TJ Warren.
2. Taj for Kelly Olynyk
3. Rose and throw ins and our 2019 first for one of these young PGs. In order of highest priority (one of these teams hopefully would accept.) 1.DSJ from Dallas, or Alexander from Clippers, or Frank Ntilikina from Knicks.

Reasons teams would do trade 3.

Dallas knows that DSJ and Doncic don't play well together. Getting Rose via trade and then extending him (either before or right after the trade,) gives them bench scoring and allows them to use either barrea or any 2 they want with Doncic if he plays the point.

Clippers would be sacrificing a future piece to try and win the west (and in theory the title if they can get by GSW.)

Knicks would want to extend Rose than use him to show they are serious about contending next year (thus attracting a great free agent )
These ideas need serious work.

TJ Warren and Wiggins is a horrible, no shooting combination.

Similarly, Olynyk and Saric have too much overlap.

Clippers will not trade SGA for Rose.

Knicks don’t want Rose back.

I want no part of Ntilikina. He sucks.

That leaves Rose + for DSJ. I’d try to pawn off Teague to them first.
I am confused about a few of your comments.

1. Olynyk and Saric are similar, why is this bad. We have seen floor spacing is much better with Kat and Saric on the floor together. Olynyk brings the same spacing to the second unit which works well for a second unit PG who can drive and score. Also Olynyk being 7 ft means when he plays with Gorgui we have two 7 ft rebounders. Seems valuable to me.

2. T.J Warren is a great shooter who is inconsistent from the 3. He has had a great season so far from 3 and had s 40 percent year his second year as well. The other years he was basically a mid range threat. I agree it is a risk, but he gives Pheonix good production and is on a reasonable contract. Also I want him as the 6th man with Roco getting the start. Warren would be our primary threat but would be a big part of a swing offense with KBD and Olynyk (assuming we can get everyone shooting decent percentage from 3 if open.) Now you have Okogie and the young PG playing drive and kick (then swing ball as necessary to get the open 3.) Or you use Gorgui instead of KBD and add rebounding.

3. Clippers need someone like Rose and I think they might give up SGA if they honestly believe it can win them the West.
Neither Olynyk nor Saric play above average D. That’s why it’s bad.

We differ on Wiggins and TJ. That’s fine.

We differ that Clippers would trade a young and up and coming SGA on a cheap deal for one half season of Rose.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Lakers say LeBron James will not travel on their upcoming two-game road trip through Minnesota and Dallas
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
D_H

Post by D_H »

Toronto might be looking for point guard help: they are only nine and eight in their past 17 games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sporti ... eom4bzv3cc
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

rose would have to agree to this because it involves his bird status, but other than that, i think it works $wise:

derrick rose and taj gibson to toronto for danny green, pascal siakam and delon wright.

the tough guy for them to lose is siakam, who has been a nice surprise. green's up for FA this summer, and wright is an okay, but certainly tradeable asset from their POV. in exchange, they get two vets in a push for the title this year.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 pm rose would have to agree to this because it involves his bird status, but other than that, i think it works $wise:

derrick rose and taj gibson to toronto for danny green, pascal siakam and delon wright.

the tough guy for them to lose is siakam, who has been a nice surprise. green's up for FA this summer, and wright is an okay, but certainly tradeable asset from their POV. in exchange, they get two vets in a push for the title this year.
Dreaming, they wouldn’t add Siakim for Kawhi, they aren’t now. They are the number 1 seed, they are going to keep their team chemistry the way it is.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and.... they're a tidge over 500 in their last 17 games. remember, this is a team who always looks great in the regular season and then blarts out in the postseason. if this kawhi window is as teeny as it seems it might be, they may want to go all in this year - and i think a swap like this does more for them in the playoffs than what they've got now. plus, if leonard does leave, they'll have more in their coffers to offer rose and taj to stay if they like what they see.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

So I was looking around for suggested trades and one that caught my eye was a total salary dump. Wiggins for Jackson, Shumpert, and Randolph. I really don't like this trade as Jackson isn't that good and the other 2 are expiring contracts. But if you add Gorgui and get back cauley-stein, now I think the trade has some value. Curious for opinions.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Another option

https://fadeawayworld.net/2019/01/06/th ... -revealed/

Wiggins, Rose 2 1st round picks for Bradley Beal.
D_H

Post by D_H »

I believe Chandler Parsons & Memphis parted ways today I'm going to assume Memphis will buy him out and he will more or less become a free agent? Not sure how these things work, I don't follow the financial aspects of NBA.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I think Parsons is stuck. However, he could end up being similar to Noah if they feel like putting a bib on and eating that much dough. He'd need to clear waivers, etc. He would be a vet minimum guy, after his buyout paid him most of his money.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

D_H wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:02 pm I believe Chandler Parsons & Memphis parted ways today I'm going to assume Memphis will buy him out and he will more or less become a free agent? Not sure how these things work, I don't follow the financial aspects of NBA.
They didn't cut him, they sent him home. Will try to trade him. They may cut him in February if they fail to get something for him.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

memyworld wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm
PF of the future!!!! Go get him Layden!!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

how come agua caliente's website has him averaging 13.6 ppg?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The Mavericks have placed Dennis Smith Jr on the trade block.

The mavs want to start Doncic as Starting PG
witljon

Post by witljon »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 pm The Mavericks have placed Dennis Smith Jr on the trade block.

The Suns come to mind as being a player.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 pm The Mavericks have placed Dennis Smith Jr on the trade block.

Poor guy, He had a good game or two then went to nothing.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Offer them Rose and either Deng or sign someone from free agency to vet minimum and trade them with Rose (to make the money work.) Start Tyus and use Smith Jr off the bench. Send Teague home until his ankle is 100 percent then use Smith Jr and Rose in the same lineup with Okogie, Saric/Gibson and Dieng.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

winforlose wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Offer them Rose and either Deng or sign someone from free agency to vet minimum and trade them with Rose (to make the money work.) Start Tyus and use Smith Jr off the bench. Send Teague home until his ankle is 100 percent then use Smith Jr and Rose in the same lineup with Okogie, Saric/Gibson and Dieng.
It will be interesting to see what they want.

Orlando seems to make the most sense to me.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

OliverMiller wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 pm

I just read that Phoenix has pulled out of trade discussions with Dallas. I still say we could deal Teague to pheonix with Tolliver and get a good wing player back. Either Warren or Oubre Jr would be very beneficial to our team right now. With Smith Jr and Tyus we would be set at the point, and we could always find a vet minimum 3rd string if we decide to trade Bayless.
witljon

Post by witljon »

winforlose wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm I just read that Phoenix has pulled out of trade discussions with Dallas. I still say we could deal Teague to pheonix with Tolliver and get a good wing player back. Either Warren or Oubre Jr would be very beneficial to our team right now. With Smith Jr and Tyus we would be set at the point, and we could always find a vet minimum 3rd string if we decide to trade Bayless.
If true, the Mavs must be asking for a lot for Smith Jr.

That, or they don't have the piece that the Suns are looking for.
Style

Post by Style »

Somewhat alarming that Carlisle would be putting DSJ on the block. I get a buyer beware vibe. I believe for the Wolves to get involved, talks would start around Okogie.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Style

Post by Style »

I'm not buying the Doncic at PG so Smith has to be traded story. Dallas routinely plays 3 PGs at a time. This smells like a team that's selling high on DSJ.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 pm
memyworld wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm
PF of the future!!!! Go get him Layden!!!
One of my favorite lines from thrillkill!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

winforlose wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

I just read that Phoenix has pulled out of trade discussions with Dallas. I still say we could deal Teague to pheonix with Tolliver and get a good wing player back. Either Warren or Oubre Jr would be very beneficial to our team right now. With Smith Jr and Tyus we would be set at the point, and we could always find a vet minimum 3rd string if we decide to trade Bayless.
I'm not sure how you're making all the finances work here. Teague + Tolliver = 24/25 mil?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 am
winforlose wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm not sure how you're making all the finances work here. Teague + Tolliver = 24/25 mil?
Straight up it fails unless we take back more salary, but this is a trade I looked at a while back and this was an easy work around. Basically you add another trade at the same time. I added Taj for Olynyk with Miami and the trade machine says it works. Another option is you add jj barrea and Bayless to the trade. Olynyk is in the first link. JJ is in the second. There could also be a scenario where we take Wes Mathews but given that he is in the final year of his deal I think the report about wanting to move him is bizarre. Maybe they want a wing upgrade, but they lost JJ for the season so they need a backup PG if they dump Smith.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydcqvcq9

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7axay9s
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Style wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am

I'm not buying the Doncic at PG so Smith has to be traded story. Dallas routinely plays 3 PGs at a time. This smells like a team that's selling high on DSJ.
They like Luka at point because it gives them a significant size advantage in games.

They have been starting Luka, Wes, Barnes, Kieber,
Jordan

Who are you going to put the tradition PG against?
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

So...trade Rose and other shit for DSJ, send Teague home, then go forward with a DSJ/Rose backcourt?

*scratches head*
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I remember a week or two ago, Smith messed up an end of game play, and Luka was livid. They had words, and he was suddenly on the block. There might be too much ego there for both to coexist.