Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: **Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm
Always liked him. Probably because he tore up our shitty D and pounded us on the glass. But who doesn't.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:05 pm
Always liked him. Probably because he tore up our shitty D and pounded us on the glass. But who doesn't.
Always as in this past year, but never before. Scoring anyways(25, 15, 19), only had one double digit rebounding game against us, 4.5 years ago.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:34 pm
Always as in this past year, but never before. Scoring anyways(25, 15, 19), only had one double digit rebounding game against us, 4.5 years ago.
:lol: You looked that up and then mitigated it? Remember your plan?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm
j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:34 pm

:lol: You looked that up and then mitigated it? Remember your plan?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Nah, I ignore your long-winded, insult-filled rants. Took 15 seconds to blow up your post.

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

This has been the worst wolves chat draft era ever.

Everybody is so goddamn snippy, led by thrillkill.

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 pm This has been the worst wolves chat draft era ever.

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
Nah, pretty much just him. Everyone else seems rather pleasant or at least decent to me. I’m not sure we’ve ever had more substantive basketball debates as we’ve had in the last 6 months.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 pm This has been the worst wolves chat draft era ever.

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
Nah, pretty much just him. Everyone else seems rather pleasant or at least decent to me. I’m not sure we’ve ever had more substantive basketball debates as we’ve had in the last 6 months.
Shut your face, Kevin!
Spoiler:
:mrgreen:

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
Maybe it is just him now that I think about it.

:thumbsup:
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

thinktank wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm At this post I’m saying no to almost any trade where we get older.

We’re not at that stage yet and we just came from there.

It’s funny, but I want us to follow the Kong’s route.

Get a bunch of good talented young players and see who pans out.

We’ve already got the most important part figured out (KAT).

Don’t fuck it up by getting old too fast and peaking too quickly due to old age.
The problem with this strategy is the timeline it requires. We’re not going to luck into another player the caliber of towns for a long time so it’s important we keep him here long term. We’re entering year 1 of his max deal, we have the next 3 years to become a legitimate playoff contender, if we don’t then entering year 4 there’s going to be talk of towns impending free agency and the media is going to run rampant with speculations galore, leading to towns refusing to sign an extension. By year 5 towns is one foot out the door and were faced with either trading him while we can get a return for him or lose him for nothing. Trying to accumulate draft picks and develop them and/or going after cheap young talent due to our cap situation is going to take a lot longer to turn us into a contender than 3 years.

As others have said, Our best hope to vault into contender status is either wiggins playing up to his contract (highly unlikely), or to get rid of his contract to attract another marquee free agent. I’m all for going on the hope that Rosas and Saunders can get wiggins to take the next step, but would not shy away from exploring the trade market for him, and there aren’t a whole lot of deals I wouldn’t do (conley, Lowry swaps, etc).
witljon

Post by witljon »

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
You guys take his snide remarks too seriously. I kinda enjoy them.
I even sometimes stretch my opinion just for a good reply. :oops:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
It's been a tough year. Going from what looked like a sure playoff team this time last year to looking like a lottery team for the next half decade.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:37 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:03 pm At this post I’m saying no to almost any trade where we get older.

Don’t fuck it up by getting old too fast and peaking too quickly due to old age.
The problem with this strategy is the timeline it requires. We’re not going to luck into another player the caliber of towns for a long time so it’s important we keep him here long term. We’re entering year 1 of his max deal, we have the next 3 years to become a legitimate playoff contender, if we don’t then entering year 4 there’s going to be talk of towns impending free agency and the media is going to run rampant with speculations galore, leading to towns refusing to sign an extension. By year 5 towns is one foot out the door and were faced with either trading him while we can get a return for him or lose him for nothing. Trying to accumulate draft picks and develop them and/or going after cheap young talent due to our cap situation is going to take a lot longer to turn us into a contender than 3 years.

As others have said, Our best hope to vault into contender status is either wiggins playing up to his contract (highly unlikely), or to get rid of his contract to attract another marquee free agent. I’m all for going on the hope that Rosas and Saunders can get wiggins to take the next step, but would not shy away from exploring the trade market for him, and there aren’t a whole lot of deals I wouldn’t do (conley, Lowry swaps, etc).
In your timeline, we could acquire a vet at the expense of youth and be better in the short-term but then what?

The vet may want to leave. The vet may break down. We may hit our ceiling. Towns might want to leave in your method too.

The patient method has a better chance at long-term success. IF, you can hit on a couple draft picks (maybe instead of packaging one with Wigs), then you have the rookies cheap while Wiggins salary isn’t as big of a drain, and then in a couple years you have some options with Wiggins’ shorter deal, maybe now you don’t need your draft pick so much (because hopefully it’s lower too), and you can convert those into a role player.

I like the latter approach.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
It's been a tough year. Going from what looked like a sure playoff team this time last year to looking like a lottery team for the next half decade.
If healthy, we're going to be the 6th seed next season. :clap:
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm

In your timeline, we could acquire a vet at the expense of youth and be better in the short-term but then what?

The vet may want to leave. The vet may break down. We may hit our ceiling. Towns might want to leave in your method too.

The patient method has a better chance at long-term success. IF, you can hit on a couple draft picks (maybe instead of packaging one with Wigs), then you have the rookies cheap while Wiggins salary isn’t as big of a drain, and then in a couple years you have some options with Wiggins’ shorter deal, maybe now you don’t need your draft pick so much (because hopefully it’s lower too), and you can convert those into a role player.

Imo, Everything you described in the third paragraph will likely take place in year 3 or 4, when it’s too late to convince towns to stay, then you’re left with young talent but no alpha/superstar. Of all the rookies recently other than towns, okogie has made the biggest year 1 “impact”, and even he has a ways to go, you think a collection of that over the next few years is going to take this team over the top? Doubtful.

In regards to your 1st paragraph, why is it assumed that only makes us better in the short term? This is hard to project without naming specific players, but in general, if we get a vet who’s near the end of his prime/contract then we may be able to rid his contract and gain cap space to attract a marquee player. If we’re able to get a vet who’s still in his prime then he pairs with towns and we may have a sustainable contender for years to come. I don’t think it should be assumed we’re destroying are future by looking into this.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. This team is in a real poor situation.

Imo you have to keep sucking for a few year's and hope you hit in the lottery. Karl will probably want out at that point but it probably doesn't do any good to be a #8 seed and get dumped rd #1 either.

This team isn't going to be a "Legitimate playoff contender" by getting Conley etc.. They turn into a team who can fight for a backend spot and get dumped right away. None of the players you mentioned are as good as Butler and we saw how that worked.

Clearing Wiggins salary would be nice but no top end FA is signing here. Sorry, that's reality.

Even a guy like Conley, I don't think we have the assets to acquire even these second tier player's.

I mean seriously, what do we have with any value after Kat to land some of these player's? Draft picks are about it and nothing would be dumber than giving up young, cheap talent for middle of the road, aged player's that may not even get you to .500

About the only move I can think of that makes sense and can change my mind is if some team is dumb enough to take Wiggins for a decent player. It's never going to happen though.

I would trade Wiggins for Hayward straight up but that's a dream.

If I was Rosas, I would be testing the market all summer for Wiggins value. If their is nothing there, I would do something drastic as I don't seem him ever raising his value. I was a big Wiggins guy and I still don't hate him like some do but he's never going to be worth close to what he is payed.

The move I make if there are no offers of any value? Wiggins for Wall. It's going to take a move like that for the Wolves to ever get another star in here next to Karl. It's worth the risk imo. You stink again this year without Wall, get another good draft pick and put it all on the floor in 2020.
If they don't draft well, it won't matter either way. It's a move I make.

The question is... Would the Wizards even trade Wall for Wiggins? I highly doubt it.
Last edited by RubeTube on Mon May 20, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

witljon wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Shit’s contagious.

Way to ruin Christmas!
You guys take his snide remarks too seriously. I kinda enjoy them.
I even sometimes stretch my opinion just for a good reply. :oops:
To each his own good sir. :beer:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pmTowns might want to leave in your method too.
I don’t think it should be assumed we’re destroying are future by looking into this.
I agree with that.

But I’m not sure the odds of the Vet approach working out well long-term are as good as maybe you think they are, and maybe slow growth plan has better long-term odds than you think too, who knows, as you say?
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pmTowns might want to leave in your method too.
I don’t think it should be assumed we’re destroying are future by looking into this.
I agree with that.

But I’m not sure the odds of the Vet approach working out well long-term are as good as maybe you think they are, and maybe slow growth plan has better long-term odds than you think too, who knows, as you say?
That’s fair. And for the record I’m a fan of Rosas, I think he was instrumental in helping build Houston and believe he can build a winner here. I’m just not sure he can do it in a short period while we still have towns under team control, and it would be a shame if we lose towns, a generational type player.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Teague, 11, and one player for Conley

Jonny K messing around with trade deals
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm Teague, 11, and one player for Conley

I would personally hate that. Conley will be 32 at the start of the season. Giving up an expiring contract and a lottery pick for him would be a bad idea.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm Teague, 11, and one player for Conley

That is awful. Conley doesn't have that value.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:22 pm

He's been around the game his whole life, better watch it so money.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Lol. It is an awful trade.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Teague and 11 for Conley is a no brainer

You get an all star PG to pair with Towns, Wigs, and Cov. We would be top 4 in the west
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Lol. It is an awful trade.
Ya, I'm passing on that. I wouldn't even trade Andrew straight up for Conley.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm Teague and 11 for Conley is a no brainer

You get an all star PG to pair with Towns, Wigs, and Cov. We would be top 4 in the west
Lol cripes.

They would fight for a #8 spot with Conley. This isn't a playoff team now and it sure isn't a top 4 will Conley. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Conley is a top 10 pg. Man surprised so many of ya don’t know the game.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm Conley is a top 10 pg. Man surprised so many of ya don’t know the game.
He's old and beat up. If you want to make the playoffs and get bounced rd #1 for a couple years, than by all means.

This team has a chance of not even making the playoffs with him imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm Teague and 11 for Conley is a no brainer

Lol. No. This doesn't put us in the top 4. Probably doesn't make any real difference at all with the most likely outcome being him getting hurt.