Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: **Official NBA Offseason Transactions/Rumors Thread**

Post by SO_MONEY »

Trading Covington makes sense being he is likely near the pinnacle of his value that will drop as he ages and his awesome contract becomes shorter. This would be a fine way to add a couple of assets that fit with the time-line. I would hate to see him go and in a perfect would I would like to keep him at least one more year as a mentor to Okogie and Culver, but we also need to do the right thing by selling high with players who are problematic in the grand design.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I like Bob, but if you can package Wiggins or Dieng with him to get a good player back, then I'm all for it.
j2j

Post by j2j »

No sense in trading Covington unless it's part of a deal that brings back a haul(potential star). His ability and contract make it easier to build the rest of the roster.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 am No sense in trading Covington unless it's part of a deal that brings back a haul(potential star). His ability and contract make it easier to build the rest of the roster.
Meh. If say you can get a young player with good upside and a FRP, I think you do it. Rookie scale contracts and team control also make it easier to build a roster. In addition to this young pieces are more likely going to be the ask in a trade of another team's star player and this type of move helps with that.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

DP
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:17 am
j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 am No sense in trading Covington unless it's part of a deal that brings back a haul(potential star). His ability and contract make it easier to build the rest of the roster.
Meh. If say you can get a young player with good upside and a FRP, I think you do it. Rookie scale contracts and team control also make it easier to build a roster. In addition to this young pieces are more likely going to be the ask in a trade of another team's star player and this type of move helps with that.
Who is an example of a young player you'd target in your scenario?

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:19 am
I don't have an example, but if I were GM I would seek offers and see if any meet my expectations.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I can tell you one, Johnny.

This isn't my first choice however I feel is the type of talent that you could realistically get back.

I would trade Bob straight up for DSJ.

No package we have to offer is bringing back a "Star" unless you are offering multiple 1st rounders.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

So with the Heat trading for Beal and Wall rumor going on, the Wolves could put together a more attractive package.

Would you do

Wiggins, Teague, Dieng, Culver for Beal and Wall?

Maybe a pick from Minny as well?
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:24 am

I don't have an example, but if I were GM I would seek offers and see if any meet my expectations.
You can say that about everybody. No one is saying he's untouchable. Just that it would be stupid to move him unless you're getting a major return. Other guys on the roster most would be ok with getting next to nothing back; Dieng, Teague, Wiggins...

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Straight up for Capela?

Smart and a 1st?
j2j

Post by j2j »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 am So with the Heat trading for Beal and Wall rumor going on, the Wolves could put together a more attractive package.

Would you do

I'm not sure we'd have to add the pick, or even Culver, considering Wall won't play this year despite getting paid like $35mil. Sounds like Beal is untouchable, but I'd love him here.

OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:33 am
OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 am So with the Heat trading for Beal and Wall rumor going on, the Wolves could put together a more attractive package.

Would you do

I'm not sure we'd have to add the pick, or even Culver, considering Wall won't play this year despite getting paid like $35mil. Sounds like Beal is untouchable, but I'd love him here.
I guess that was my thinking to overcome the untouchable part.

I guess I'm asking would you give out positive assets and take on Wall to get Beal
j2j

Post by j2j »

It's easy to say "We should trade Player A for Player B and a pick", but it's important to think why would the other team make that trade?

Can't imagine Boston moving the extremely important Smart for another wing.

I like the idea of DSJ, but so far the occasional highlight has outweighed his production and has him a bit overrated by many. Hopefully he figures it out.

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I will revolt if this cocksucker trades Covington.

I would rather have Covington on this team than Russell
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Memphis is reporteldy expected to waive Avery Bradley.
Bradley has a $10.9 million salary for 2019-20, only $2 million of it is guaranteed. Last month, Bradley agreed to push his guarantee date back to July 8. Thus, the Grizz have three more days to make a decision.
j2j

Post by j2j »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:37 am

Would you do

I guess I'm asking would you give out positive assets and take on Wall to get Beal
I would trade Wiggins/Teague/Dieng for Beal/Wall. That's a combined savings of $51mil for the Wizards. $23mil of it next year along, putting them in position of having 2 max contract slots available. Not a bad reset and an opportunity to get away from Wall's dead salary. Beal is obviously the best player in that deal, so maybe we have to add a future protected first. I'd see how we could take Mahinmi back, who is getting paid $15mil this year to do jackshit.

If that's not enough, which some might argue, then you have to walk away. Can't keep offering more and more just to say you got a deal done, there has to be a line.

j2j

Post by j2j »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am Memphis is reporteldy expected to waive Avery Bradley.
Bradley has a $10.9 million salary for 2019-20, only $2 million of it is guaranteed. Last month, Bradley agreed to push his guarantee date back to July 8. Thus, the Grizz have three more days to make a decision.
Bradley showed flashes of what he used to be after the trade before shutting it down. I'd kick the tires for the right price.

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

John Wall's legs terrify me. I'd go after Beal all day, but not with Wall coming back. That could have the team in such a bad place in 1-2 seasons, even with Beal. I know they are always in a bad place, but that would be even worse of a bad place. I feel like we have enough to offer to land Beal if we wanted to. I just don't think Washington wants to deal him.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:50 am
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am Memphis is reporteldy expected to waive Avery Bradley.
Bradley showed flashes of what he used to be after the trade before shutting it down. I'd kick the tires for the right price.
He'll be dirt cheap and can still defend well. He got dinged up there for a while, traded, etc, and got lost in the shuffle on a rebuilding team. Almost exactly the same age as Covington though. Weeks apart, actually.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Would you do

No.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:31 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:24 am

You can say that about everybody. No one is saying he's untouchable. Just that it would be stupid to move him unless you're getting a major return. Other guys on the roster most would be ok with getting next to nothing back; Dieng, Teague, Wiggins...
I expect if we trade RoCo he would bring back a very good return, that is in fact the arrgument for trading him.
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am

I would trade Wiggins/Teague/Dieng for Beal/Wall. That's a combined savings of $51mil for the Wizards. $23mil of it next year along, putting them in position of having 2 max contract slots available. Not a bad reset and an opportunity to get away from Wall's dead salary. Beal is obviously the best player in that deal, so maybe we have to add a future protected first. I'd see how we could take Mahinmi back, who is getting paid $15mil this year to do jackshit.

If that's not enough, which some might argue, then you have to walk away. Can't keep offering more and more just to say you got a deal done, there has to be a line.
I think I would do that as well.

Beal/Towns/Cov + our young guys...maybe an outside chance Wall becomes an allstar again.

Mainly Beal + Towns is a great tandem and I'd love watching it.
Last edited by T_J on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Fair enough on saying no to taking on Wall.

I just think a trio of KAT-Beal-Covington is probably best case scenario over the next few years.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:04 pm
j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am

I think I would do that as well.

Beal/Towns/Cov + our young guys...maybe an outside chance Wall becomes an allstar again.

Mainly Beal + Towns is a great tandem and I'd love watching it.
That Wall contract is awful. I don't even think Beal is enough of a payoff, a guy who will likely leave and doesn't care for Wall. Wall is a non starter.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Anybody that thinks Covington is long for this Team needs to get a damn clue........He Gone!!

He is the one real asset this team has left and Rosas needs to be smart in whatever deal he ends up using him in. With all the wings picked up, they are auditioning replacements.

Fuckhead Rosas should have just used him to get Garland, would have had the future PG and could have used Saric for something else at the deadline or right now. Colossal Fuck Up!
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 pm Anybody that thinks Covington is long for this Team needs to get a damn clue........He Gone!!

He is the one real asset this team has left and Rosas needs to be smart in whatever deal he ends up using him in. With all the wings picked up, they are auditioning replacements.

Fuckhead Rosas should have just used him to get Garland, would have had the future PG and could have used Saric for something else at the deadline or right now. Colossal Fuck Up!
What is it about Garland that you like so much? I didn't see enough to feel he was some grand prize as others see him. Hoping you're willing to take the time to sell me on him.

whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Boogie to the Lakers
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 pm Anybody that thinks Covington is long for this Team needs to get a damn clue........He Gone!!

What is it about Garland that you like so much? I didn't see enough to feel he was some grand prize as others see him. Hoping you're willing to take the time to sell me on him.
I need to be sold on him too.
j2j

Post by j2j »

witljon wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm
j2j wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm

I need to be sold on him too.
Nobody seems to be able to other than "Rosas fucked up."