Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** The Official Podcast Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: *** The Official Podcast Thread ***

Post by HeHateMe »

Latest Bill Simmons pod has Zach Lowe on it -- they discuss the CP3/Westbrook trade. Mention Miami and Minnesota as options for Chris Paul. I don't really know why Rossas would even think of that. I was trying to come up with three team scenarios in my head where Miami gets CP3, MN gets involved to somehow clear Dieng or Wiggins. Not easy.

If OKC offered up CP3 for Wiggins/Dieng, would ya?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 pm Latest Bill Simmons pod has Zach Lowe on it -- they discuss the CP3/Westbrook trade. Mention Miami and Minnesota as options for Chris Paul. I don't really know why Rossas would even think of that. I was trying to come up with three team scenarios in my head where Miami gets CP3, MN gets involved to somehow clear Dieng or Wiggins. Not easy.

If that was all it took then absolutely.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I said it a couple times, logically it makes no sense but...I would love to see CP3 here. He's a dick, he's dropping off right now, but he'd steady this ship and this team would play good ball. It would probably end like Jimmy Buckets too. You probably could get him without moving wiggins, just Teague and Dieng.

Paul
Wiggins
Culver
Glovington
Towns
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 pm I said it a couple times, logically it makes no sense but...I would love to see CP3 here. He's a dick, he's dropping off right now, but he'd steady this ship and this team would play good ball. It would probably end like Jimmy Buckets too. You probably could get him without moving wiggins, just Teague and Dieng.

Paul
Wiggins
Culver
Glovington
Towns
I'm sure Miami is willing to send Dragic and James Johnson right now. So in theory you'd have to beat that and I don't think the Wolves should give up any positive assets for Chris Paul. Now if they were willing to take Wiggins and Dieng… thus leaving open a possibility to swing for the fences with Beal later (Teague + Okogie + picks) then you might have something to really work with there.

CP3
Beal
Culver
Roco
Towns

oooo! Or are you willing to do Culver + Teague plus a pick for Beal?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I'd trade the whole team for Beal (minus Towns).
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 pm I said it a couple times, logically it makes no sense but...I would love to see CP3 here. He's a dick, he's dropping off right now, but he'd steady this ship and this team would play good ball. It would probably end like Jimmy Buckets too. You probably could get him without moving wiggins, just Teague and Dieng.

Paul
Wiggins
Culver
Glovington
Towns
His contract is a team killer, and he is not that great anymore. Pass.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm I'd trade the whole team for Beal (minus Towns).
Beal is overrated.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm I'd trade the whole team for Beal (minus Towns).
Beal is overrated.
You're overrated!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beal is overrated.
Maybe you think he's overrated. He's still worth the rest of the trash that is this roster after Towns.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 pm Latest Bill Simmons pod has Zach Lowe on it -- they discuss the CP3/Westbrook trade. Mention Miami and Minnesota as options for Chris Paul. I don't really know why Rossas would even think of that. I was trying to come up with three team scenarios in my head where Miami gets CP3, MN gets involved to somehow clear Dieng or Wiggins. Not easy.

I would not.
As bad as Wiggins contract is, he is still young and useful. He "wants" to be here unlike CP3, who (IMO) would see this as a demotion and cause problems in the locker room.

Also, when was the last time Paul played a full season? Or even 60 games? Would you want to pay him 38.5/41 and (44 at 37 yrs old) for hopefully 60 games?
Deing may be a crap contract right now in what I think is going to be a lost year, but his 17 mil would look good this time next year for either us or somebody looking for cap space.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:32 pm

I would not.
As bad as Wiggins contract is, he is still young and useful. He "wants" to be here unlike CP3, who (IMO) would see this as a demotion and cause problems in the locker room.

Also, when was the last time Paul played a full season? Or even 60 games? Would you want to pay him 38.5/41 and (44 at 37 yrs old) for hopefully 60 games?
Deing may be a crap contract right now in what I think is going to be a lost year, but his 17 mil would look good this time next year for either us or somebody looking for cap space.
I'm fine with remaining the course. Rosas seems like a wildcard though... he obviously knows Paul from Houston but yeah, I'd be shocked if the Wolves were interested in him and if OKC was willing to take Wiggins back. Wiggins might want to be here but that contract is going to be a pain in the ass for awhile if he doesn't perform better.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Beal is overrated.
There any players you'd pay for? Maybe prime Lebron is worth a max?

Geezus Christ. What a fucking joke.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Heat appeared interested in Paul. But they wanted draft picks to take on the three years and $124,076,442 remaining on his contract. The Thunder obviously deemed the cost too high.

But maybe the teams could have found a middle ground if Paul’s contract were $44,211,146 cheaper and one year shorter in Miami.

Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“The other thing I heard was that it was basically, if Chris wanted to get traded to the Heat now, he would maybe have had to been willing to decline his player option.”

Paul would probably prefer Miami to Oklahoma City. But the Heat would still likely be just a middling playoff team with him. Staying with the Thunder isn’t so bad when it keeps that $44 million-plus guaranteed.

Still, it was worth the teams asking. Just in case Paul wanted to join Miami that badly.

Paul would probably recoup some of that money in 2021 free agency. He might even get more in a multi-year deal than he would by exercising his option and hitting the market a year later.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Listening to Dane Moore's podcast with Britt Robson and Britt is really married to the idea that nothing will ever work, stay in the box and stick to the tried and failed.

He's super mad.

Dane at least is willing to listen to new ideas and try to understand the thinking.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 pm Listening to Dane Moore's podcast with Britt Robson and Britt is really married to the idea that nothing will ever work, stay in the box and stick to the tried and failed.

He's super mad.

Dane at least is willing to listen to new ideas and try to understand the thinking.
Surprising from Britt. He’s usually pretty even handed. I’ll have to listen tonight. I know Dane was not super stoked about the offseason FA signings listening to the pod from last week. Especially Vonleh.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:15 pm
j2j wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 pm Listening to Dane Moore's podcast with Britt Robson and Britt is really married to the idea that nothing will ever work, stay in the box and stick to the tried and failed.

He's super mad.

Surprising from Britt. He’s usually pretty even handed. I’ll have to listen tonight. I know Dane was not super stoked about the offseason FA signings listening to the pod from last week. Especially Vonleh.
Why would anyone be shocked.

Even hacks or anyone who is even capable of following the Wolves offseason sees Rosas as basically picking corn out of shit and hoping to plant it and praying to grow a stalk.

The last few seasons this team performed to less than the sum of it’s parts, now we all have to hope that Saunders to get them to play better than the sum of their parts.

Fingers crossed.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

He's super mad.

Even hacks or anyone who is even capable of following the Wolves offseason sees Rosas as basically picking corn out of shit and hoping to plant it and praying to grow a stalk.

The last few seasons this team performed to less than the sum of it’s parts, now we all have to hope that Saunders to get them to play better than the sum of their parts.

Fingers crossed.

Not to be unpleasant but I don’t give two shits about what you think.
T_J

Post by T_J »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Fingers crossed.

Not to be unpleasant but I don’t give two shits about what you think.
:lol: :bow:
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Reminder: Journalists are not scouts. If they were proven talent evaluators or cap management whizzes, someone would offer them a different job.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He's super mad.

You know who else was a sports reporter...
Spoiler:
KAHN.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

He's super mad.

Exactly what were they supposed to do this offseason? Had zero realistic cap space. Sign short term and pray. You have to save the Teague and Dieng contracts for moves like the attempted Russell move. Move them just to move them, you'll get stuck with trash.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

He's super mad.

Exactly what were they supposed to do this offseason? Had zero realistic cap space. Sign short term and pray. You have to save the Teague and Dieng contracts for moves like the attempted Russell move. Move them just to move them, you'll get stuck with trash.
I totally agree.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Britt gets better later on in the podcast, but my struggle with him and a few "fans" is the obsession with the short term. They're desperate to max out wins in 2019, even if it caps them off going forward.

These same people wanted to give Tyus $9mil/year because it might have gotten us 36 wins this year as opposed to 34 wins without him. Though I doubt his impact is even that high. Never mind it would screw us going forward as we're desperate to add a second star to this group.

Oh no, our roster today isn't perfect for the style they're talking about implementing. Well no shit, but if we want to build something, we have to be willing to dig a few holes and deal with a less than perfect situation until we can get those players on the roster.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 am Britt gets better later on in the podcast, but my struggle with him and a few "fans" is the obsession with the short term. They're desperate to max out wins in 2019, even if it caps them off going forward.

These same people wanted to give Tyus $9mil/year because it might have gotten us 36 wins this year as opposed to 34 wins without him. Though I doubt his impact is even that high. Never mind it would screw us going forward as we're desperate to add a second star to this group.

Oh no, our roster today isn't perfect for the style they're talking about implementing. Well no shit, but if we want to build something, we have to be willing to dig a few holes and deal with a less than perfect situation until we can get those players on the roster.
Tyus 9 mil would have been OK going forward if not for the other shitty contracts on the books. They have no point guard next year and will once again be up against the cap without having the ability to pay for one on the open market. This is what happens though when you get contracts wrong. The Wolves suffered post 2004 because of the 5 and 6 year deals they gave to Madsen, Hassell and Hudson.

The organization seems to be on this marketing campaign promoting togetherness with Rosas/Ryan Saunders and that's fine for now. It's the opposite of Thibs who drove me crazy but many fans want sustained success. Not hard to make the playoffs (except in the west). When can the Wolves get back? Hopefully in a couple of years.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am
j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 am Britt gets better later on in the podcast, but my struggle with him and a few "fans" is the obsession with the short term. They're desperate to max out wins in 2019, even if it caps them off going forward.

Tyus 9 mil would have been OK going forward if not for the other shitty contracts on the books. They have no point guard next year and will once again be up against the cap without having the ability to pay for one on the open market. This is what happens though when you get contracts wrong. The Wolves suffered post 2004 because of the 5 and 6 year deals they gave to Madsen, Hassell and Hudson.

The organization seems to be on this marketing campaign promoting togetherness with Rosas/Ryan Saunders and that's fine for now. It's the opposite of Thibs who drove me crazy but many fans want sustained success. Not hard to make the playoffs (except in the west). When can the Wolves get back? Hopefully in a couple of years.
We disagree on the Tyus contract even in a vacuum, but in reality those other contracts do exist, making it even worse.

Everyone wants sustained success, but there's literally no legit, possible move they could have made this summer that would have made them a playoff team this year. So making short term decisions at the expense of the long term is rather foolish.

Maybe next summer with Gorgui's expiring and another spike in the salary cap we'll have room to address the biggest issue, a second star player. Until we solve that there's no reason to spend multi-year money on meh rotational players. Fill the gaps in with bargains like Layman, Bell, Vonleh, Napier, and rookies in the meantime.

It's the mindset of let's build the foundation of the house before we try upgrading the toilet in the master bathroom.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:14 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am

We disagree on the Tyus contract even in a vacuum, but in reality those other contracts do exist, making it even worse.

Everyone wants sustained success, but there's literally no legit, possible move they could have made this summer that would have made them a playoff team this year. So making short term decisions at the expense of the long term is rather foolish.

Maybe next summer with Gorgui's expiring and another spike in the salary cap we'll have room to address the biggest issue, a second star player. Until we solve that there's no reason to spend multi-year money on meh rotational players. Fill the gaps in with bargains like Layman, Bell, Vonleh, Napier, and rookies in the meantime.

It's the mindset of let's build the foundation of the house before we try upgrading the toilet in the master bathroom.
I think summer 2021 they'll finally have some good cap flexibility again. It will come quicker than we expect but I know most casual fans will say great, two years of "not trying" again even though they will be working hard and trying to win. Vegas has it at 35, anything over that would be a success IMO. But they do need to decide at some point this year how soon they want full blown cap flexibility. Do they try to move Wiggins for contracts expiring same time as Gorgui? I think that's the best route if you deem he's A) not worth his contract and B) not going to get any better on the floor

I think next summer probably ends up being a lot like this summer, which then you hope maybe this year or next year you get lucky in the lottery and move up to get a stud guard.

And yeah, we disagree on Tyus. And it's fine -- I think Memphis overpaid, I thought initially MN would match but Glen is on record saying he won't do luxury tax so it wasn't going to happen given the contract would have put them so close to the tax, like what, less than 100k or something I remember reading? I will be rooting for the guy and hoping he crushes it there so stick it to the fans here who said he'd never be anything but a backup pg. He could have been a bridge guy next year (or this year if they just sent Teague home or dealt him for another expiring plus an asset) but it's all good. Onward...
j2j

Post by j2j »

I hope Tyus does well too. He's a good dude. He's just not what we should be spending money on right now.

If trying means blowing future cap space just so we can win 36 games this year instead of 34... No thanks, not interested.

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am They have no point guard next year
Bullshiiiit.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm I hope Tyus does well too. He's a good dude. He's just not what we should be spending money on right now.

If trying means blowing future cap space just so we can win 36 games this year instead of 34... No thanks, not interested.
Fair though I'm still not projecting they have a lot of cap space until summer 2021. Covington and him would be expiring then. Since they declined paying him, it's on the organization now to figure out a way to move Wiggins for contracts that expire summer 2021 so at that point you're looking at...

Towns
Culver
Layman (expiring)
other rookie scale deals
Covington (expiring)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am They have no point guard next year
Bullshiiiit.
They don't have one currently under contract next year. My assumption is that will be the target in the draft. Please point out where I am wrong here..