Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** The Official Podcast Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

Re: *** The Official Podcast Thread ***

Post by memyworld »

Jamal Crawford on NBA Finals, Wolves' year, front-office goal and more (37:57)
In this episode of The HoopsHype Podcast, Alex Kennedy is joined by 18-year NBA veteran and current Minnesota Timberwolves guard Jamal Crawford. Time-stamps are below.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

The Scoop: David Thorpe on the Wolves, NBA free agency, and draft fallout (48:16)

David Thorpe says in all of his years working with pro players they've never complained about playing in Minneapolis, especially if they have a family. However, the two most common complaints are the lack of an imaginative management and ownership group and, more recently, Thibs isn't fun to play for in a league where they have lots of options for fun coaches.

He also gives a nice rundown of the available wings.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Zach Lowe pod with Kevin Arnovitz yesterday. They talk Wolves about 2/3 in.

Nothing major, but here's a spoiler on what I recall.
Spoiler:
Kevin is a Gorgui fan, although admitted the length of his deal isn't good. Zach described it as a disaster.

Zach thinks there's a shoe to drop regarding our big salaries. It seemed like he was thinking sooner rather than later, but also suggested within the next 18 months. The main talker at this point was Wiggins. He seemed to suggest the big disconnect in the team that's discussed primarily involves him. They sort of discuss next summer when the big cap space players strike out, Wiggins could be a salary dump then.

They both like Belly alot.

Last a bit of positivity, Zach mentions that there's a universe where everything fits this upcoming season and the Wolves win a ton of games.

Nothing real shocking, but the interesting point to me was the idea of making a salary move next summer when tons of teams will have room.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Haralabob was on Simmons last Friday. Fantastic podcast.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

A little '09 draft discussion between Steph Curry and Bill Simmons on this week's podcast around the 38-minute mark. If you read between the lines, it sounds like Curry wouldn't have objected to playing in Minnesota.
T_J

Post by T_J »

AP on the Dunc'd On podcast.

Pretty good listen.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

"Bill Simmons sits down with Steve Nash to talk about his induction into the NBA Hall of Fame, spending time with the Golden State Warriors, MVP criteria, how to fix American soccer, Kylian Mbappé, Ronaldo vs. Messi, and Steve’s new gig broadcasting Champions League soccer."

One interesting bit of the conversation regarded what drives players to succeed and how environment plays a role. For example, Nash mentioned that Durant's motivation for joining Golden State most likely wasn't to chase a ring, but instead to join a fun work environment where guys pull for one another and compete at a high level. He had that for a minute in Oklahoma City, but those relationships started to dissolve the second they traded Harden, then Ibaka, and so on.

That got me thinking about what motivates Minnesota's best players:

Butler: An environment of hard work and sacrifice where he becomes a critical player on a championship team. Jimmy's at his best when he's up against the best players in the league and when his team is giving the same effort he is.

Wiggins: Respect and recognition for what he does on the court. His best games come against his hometown where people love him, against players like Kobe who acknowledged Wiggins' skill, and Cleveland, the team who took him #1 overall, regardless of the fact they traded him.

KAT: Camaraderie and recognition for his unique skills. KAT's at his best when he's having fun, playing against some of his best friends, and sharing the court with his mentors.

- Butler will fail because he's so single-minded, he lacks adaptability.
- Wiggins will especially fail if his own teammates and coaches don't believe in him.
- KAT will fail when it's not fun to come to work anymore.

Either these guys need to start supporting one another, or the whole thing is going to go down the drain quickly.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Memy bringing the rain. Hard to disagree and it makes sense why everything isn't puppies and rainbows.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

T_J wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 am Memy bringing the rain. Hard to disagree and it makes sense why everything isn't puppies and rainbows.
Yep, really good post. Wiggins always came across to me as a confidence player. He needs to build up confidence to show his true skills. When his teammates believe in him and he believes in himself, that dude is scary good. Which is why you see him go on these hot and cold streaks so much during a season.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Normally Simmons is so anti-Wolves but his recent podcast was actually pretty good on the situation.

Basically thought a big issue was Jimmy acting like he was walking in as a 5 time champ when in reality he's only been to the second round.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm Normally Simmons is so anti-Wolves but his recent podcast was actually pretty good on the situation.

Basically thought a big issue was Jimmy acting like he was walking in as a 5 time champ when in reality he's only been to the second round.
Thanks. You actually changed my mind on listening to this episode of Simmons podcast. Normally he just makes fun of them and has nothing interesting to say.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:57 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm Normally Simmons is so anti-Wolves but his recent podcast was actually pretty good on the situation.

Thanks. You actually changed my mind on listening to this episode of Simmons podcast. Normally he just makes fun of them and has nothing interesting to say.
He does a little regarding Taylor, but yeah I was actually surprised especially considering he's had Butler on the show several times.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:57 pm

He does a little regarding Taylor, but yeah I was actually surprised especially considering he's had Butler on the show several times.
I've been listening to him a lot over the last year or so. I enjoy him a lot more than I used to. He's really pretty fair to the Wolves.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The latest episode of Locked on Suns, they discussed Jeff Teague. They want to win and are very interested. GM and ownership are trying to at least become competitive now. Being a bottom 3 team two years in a row takes a toll on your fan base and ticket sales. They are suggesting trading Dragon Bender for Teague in a 3 team deal with the Heat and Wolves.

Heat Butler
Wolves Dragic, Winslow, Bender
Suns Teague

They believing add Teague with Ariza and Ryan Anderson will help speed up the learning process for Booker, Jackson, and Ayton.

Teague. Booker, Ariza, Anderson, Ayton would be competitive and a short term build for the team.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

The Lottery by Jonathan Wasserman, Bleacher report's NBA draft guru.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Rosas on Howard Beck. I haven't listened yet.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/turner ... he-full-48
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

T_J wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am Rosas on Howard Beck. I haven't listened yet.

Biggest takeaway was he admitted, "we know we're not necessarily going to win this year". And he talked about winning at the right period of time.

Full 180 from Thibs speak
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am Rosas on Howard Beck. I haven't listened yet.

"What up Beck" blocked me on twitter a long time ago. Asshole
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Great listen. My biggest takeaway? He’s all about getting another star with KAT. Every draft asset and every player will be available to get another star.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Everybody’s an asshole to you. Odd.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:53 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Everybody’s an asshole to you. Odd.
He blocked when because I said "uh oh, now they won't be able to get (Kevin) Love!" in regards to a tweet about Melo recruiting someone else.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

^^ thinned skinned much? (Howard Beck I mean)
T_J

Post by T_J »

If you're blocking tweets like that, may as well just ignore your replies in general or block everyone.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am If you're blocking tweets like that, may as well just ignore your replies in general or block everyone.
It was years ago... I think a lot of people used to be quick with the block. Now you can just mute people.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Although, Twitter is the dumpster fire of social media. The ultimate in lowest common denominator...
j2j

Post by j2j »

Twitter is great once you weed out the assholes. Find a circle that provides good information and you can learn a lot.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
j2j

Post by j2j »

Listening to Saunders on The Lowe Post right now. So far nothing of value other than rehashing old stories we've all heard already.

Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

j2j wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am Twitter is great once you weed out the assholes. Find a circle that provides good information and you can learn a lot.
But the percentage of assholes needing to be weeded out is like, 95%... Sounds like a lot of work,,,
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:14 am Listening to Saunders on The Lowe Post right now. So far nothing of value other than rehashing old stories we've all heard already.
I got about 10 min in before I got to work and it was tremendously dull...I only was listening for hopefully a funny Cassell story. God dammit...should I fight through the whole thing?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:18 am
j2j wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am Twitter is great once you weed out the assholes. Find a circle that provides good information and you can learn a lot.
But the percentage of assholes needing to be weeded out is like, 95%... Sounds like a lot of work,,,
I think I've blocked 4 people that would interact with me, but I'm not generally interacting with the uncleaned masses. I stick to my circles where I can actually learn or contribute, not argue with uneducated assholes. That's what froobchat is for. ;)