Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** The Official Podcast Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: *** The Official Podcast Thread ***

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:00 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm I hope Tyus does well too. He's a good dude. He's just not what we should be spending money on right now.

If trying means blowing future cap space just so we can win 36 games this year instead of 34... No thanks, not interested.
Fair though I'm still not projecting they have a lot of cap space until summer 2021. Covington and him would be expiring then. Since they declined paying him, it's on the organization now to figure out a way to move Wiggins for contracts that expire summer 2021 so at that point you're looking at...

Towns
Culver
Layman (expiring)
other rookie scale deals
Covington (expiring)
Quick glance, aren't we around $20mil below the cap next summer with the spike? Add in Gorgui's expiring and we should have plenty if room to go star hunting via trade.

Maybe at that point John Wall is healthy, or Beal, Holiday, Booker, McCollum... wants out.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Asshole wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 am They have no point guard next year
Bullshiiiit.
They don't have one currently under contract next year. My assumption is that will be the target in the draft. Please point out where I am wrong here..
Pretty sure we’ll have a PG next year.

Could have a max PG by then for all you know. ;)

Relax.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:23 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm I hope Tyus does well too. He's a good dude. He's just not what we should be spending money on right now.

If trying means blowing future cap space just so we can win 36 games this year instead of 34... No thanks, not interested.
Fair though I'm still not projecting they have a lot of cap space until summer 2021. Covington and him would be expiring then. Since they declined paying him, it's on the organization now to figure out a way to move Wiggins for contracts that expire summer 2021 so at that point you're looking at...

Towns
Culver
Layman (expiring)
other rookie scale deals
Covington (expiring)
Quick glance, aren't we around $20mil below the cap next summer with the spike? Add in Gorgui's expiring and we should have plenty if room to go star hunting via trade.

Maybe at that point John Wall is healthy, or Beal, Holiday, Booker, McCollum... wants out.
I hadn't looked at the numbers, I remember thinking we were around 100 mil on the books + add a draft pick. We had the Teague expiring this year too but maybe someone would take the Dieng contract next year too if they needed to move off it.
The salary cap is reported to be $118 million with the luxury tax reportedly be fixed at $143 million
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:51 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Asshole wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Bullshiiiit.
They don't have one currently under contract next year. My assumption is that will be the target in the draft. Please point out where I am wrong here..
Pretty sure we’ll have a PG next year.

Could have a max PG by then for all you know. ;)

Relax.
Classic Double T. #thespin
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Towns
Culver
Layman (expiring)
other rookie scale deals
Covington (expiring)

I hadn't looked at the numbers, I remember thinking we were around 100 mil on the books + add a draft pick. We had the Teague expiring this year too but maybe someone would take the Dieng contract next year too if they needed to move off it.
The salary cap is reported to be $118 million with the luxury tax reportedly be fixed at $143 million
Problem with the Teague expiring was it wasn't enough money to do anything. We had no cap space, so yeah we could have traded Teague's $19mil, and still might, but what does he get us? He likely was involved in whatever DLO moves we had planned. But wasn't enough on his own.

Next year Gorgui is enough because we have our own space.

Cap should be anywhere from 116-118, I've seen it was adjusted down to 116, and we're sitting at 93-98mil depending on the site. Obviously take out our draft pick, but we should have around $30mil to spend in a Gorgui only trade.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Problem with the Teague expiring was it wasn't enough money to do anything. We had no cap space, so yeah we could have traded Teague's $19mil, and still might, but what does he get us? He likely was involved in whatever DLO moves we had planned. But wasn't enough on his own.
Yeah, you're only dealing him if you have something lined up but I still don't believe any team was going to take him straight on without assets -- see other deals where expiring contracts were sent into space to make room for said team. Dieng's nearing the end of the deal which is good. Now can we get Wiggins to a 2021 expiring? That is the goal!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I've really gotten into Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History. Some of it is history, but it's more about statistical, human and sociological phenomena.

For instance, he uses Wilt's 100 point game to discuss the idea of personal threshold. Wilt stopped shooting free throws underhand because he felt like a sissy. (low threshold) Rick Barry on the other hand was quoted as being disliked by half the league and despised by the other half. Because he didn't give a shit about what anyone else thought or did, he went his own route.

Gladwell is terrific and spinning a yarn and going in and out of stories and interviews.
Ketchup can be nuancy
T_J

Post by T_J »

JJ Redick was on Zach Lowe, pretty fun listen.

Few highlights I took from it:
Spoiler:
Zach has the Wolves in at 12th in the west.
They talked about JJ's highlights dunking a ball in his career. This was a fun conversation. I still gotta youtube "JJ Redick Dunk." Supposedly there's barely 3 results.
They talk Jimmy for a bit. Zach discusses his exit from Minny in very light hearted fashion. JJ said he would play with him again...said the stuff about him being a bad teammate isn't true.
They talk the Lob City Clippers era and how they basically fucked it all up because they couldn't stand each other.
JJ talks about playing for Team USA and how he's probably too old at this point. Missed out in 2016 barely.
That's about all I got.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Latest Lowe Post had Howard Beck on.

They talk Wiggins at 34 minutes in.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 am Latest Lowe Post had Howard Beck on.

They talk Wiggins at 34 minutes in.
Howard on board this is legit. Zach seemed a little more skeptical.
T_J

Post by T_J »

On the Woj pod with Jackie Mac, Rusillo, and Patrick Beverley, they talk Towns and Wiggins.

Beverley basically called Towns empty stats, not contributing to winning....and the word "Trash" was used. Around the late 48 min mark.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28710363
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

T_J wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am On the Woj pod with Jackie Mac, Rusillo, and Patrick Beverley, they talk Towns and Wiggins.

Beverley basically called Towns empty stats, not contributing to winning....and the word "Trash" was used. Around the late 48 min mark.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28710363
Dang. Beverly does value his defense.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Why does Russillo soundlike he's in a cave? Get closer to the mic, hearing tons of room.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thibs was recently on Woj Pod. They get into Minnesota a bit with Butler demanding his trade. Thibs goes on to say that with Rose and Butler they could have been a 2 seed in 18-19. Think he mentions Towns and Wiggins once as he names them with Rose and Butler. Brings up a 27-10 record with Butler against teams in the west.. says being top 10 in offense and defense with their starting lineup gave them a chance.

He didn't sound too bitter but of course he's making money still off Taylor, says Jimmy was great for them (or us I guess you could say).. he was still vague when Woj pressed him I thought.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

D-Lo on with JJ for his @OldManAndThree podcast. Available on all the podcast services, too.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

memyworld wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:22 am D-Lo on with JJ for his @OldManAndThree podcast. Available on all the podcast services, too.

Plenty of interesting stuff here. One of my favorite stories came from JJ:

Last offseason, the Wolves were interested in JJ, but he signed pretty quickly with the Pelicans, so they never got to have a meeting. Regardless, Rosas reached out to JJ's agent and said, "Hey, we know JJ's made his decision, but we had some stuff prepped for him. Do you mind if we still send it?" The agent says yes and JJ receives a package with custom Adidas with "342" written on them (because JJ hits 342 shots every Sunday in the offseason), there were two #4 kids Twins jerseys with his sons' names on the back, they sent JJ a jersey, they sent his wife two different gifts. He said the five times he's been a free agent, he's never received anything so thoughtful.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

memyworld wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 am
memyworld wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:22 am D-Lo on with JJ for his @OldManAndThree podcast. Available on all the podcast services, too.

Last offseason, the Wolves were interested in JJ, but he signed pretty quickly with the Pelicans, so they never got to have a meeting. Regardless, Rosas reached out to JJ's agent and said, "Hey, we know JJ's made his decision, but we had some stuff prepped for him. Do you mind if we still send it?" The agent says yes and JJ receives a package with custom Adidas with "342" written on them (because JJ hits 342 shots every Sunday in the offseason), there were two #4 kids Twins jerseys with his sons' names on the back, they sent JJ a jersey, they sent his wife two different gifts. He said the five times he's been a free agent, he's never received anything so thoughtful.
Anyone else get the sense that DLo really doesn't want to play with LaMelo Ball?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Didn't Flip nearly land JJ once? I feel like that story has been told before.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:44 pm

I'm not sure. I do know he's flirted signing with Minnesota on more than one occasion.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Yes. If I remember correctly they were very close to landing Reddick, but he decided last second to join the Clippers. We ended up signing Kevin Martin.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

A fair assessment of a handful of rookie. They touch on both Edwards and McDaniels.

memyworld

Post by memyworld »

A nearly 25-minute national media discussion about the Timberwolves' young players, including Towns, D-Lo, Ant, and McDaniels. While they discuss weaknesses and missed opportunities, this pod is mostly a discussion about potential and who Minnesota can/should build around going forward.

---

The Bulls’ and Timberwolves’ Young Cores and First-Time All-Stars

Kevin O’Connor, Jonathan Tjarks, and J. Kyle Mann start by discussing the four first-time All-Stars (1:54). Then they do a deep dive into the play of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ young guys (32:51). After that, they discuss young players who have struggled early in their careers in a new segment called Study Hall (56:52). Next, they talk about Tjarks’s piece on Gonzaga’s Jalen Suggs and evaluate his pro potential (1:07:40). Lastly, KOC is joined by House of Highlights host and YouTuber Kenny Beecham to discuss the Chicago Bulls’ young core (1:12:29).
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

memyworld wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 am A nearly 25-minute national media discussion about the Timberwolves' young players, including Towns, D-Lo, Ant, and McDaniels. While they discuss weaknesses and missed opportunities, this pod is mostly a discussion about potential and who Minnesota can/should build around going forward.

---

The Bulls’ and Timberwolves’ Young Cores and First-Time All-Stars

Kevin O’Connor, Jonathan Tjarks, and J. Kyle Mann start by discussing the four first-time All-Stars (1:54). Then they do a deep dive into the play of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ young guys (32:51). After that, they discuss young players who have struggled early in their careers in a new segment called Study Hall (56:52). Next, they talk about Tjarks’s piece on Gonzaga’s Jalen Suggs and evaluate his pro potential (1:07:40). Lastly, KOC is joined by House of Highlights host and YouTuber Kenny Beecham to discuss the Chicago Bulls’ young core (1:12:29).
Experts from that pod:

T_J

Post by T_J »

Windhorst at the end of their pod from yesterday just savages the Wolves.

Chris Finch walked into the worst coaching job in the league was the gist of it. He annihilated Glen for putting the team up for sale, never pulling the trigger, and putting Rosas in a shit position where he had to keep Ryan as coach. From Rosas position if Glen sells, everyone would probably get replaced so he had to make this move now to get his guy in there.

They had nothing but good things to say about Ryan as a person and that all the players love him.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm Windhorst at the end of their pod from yesterday just savages the Wolves.

Chris Finch walked into the worst coaching job in the league was the gist of it. He annihilated Glen for putting the team up for sale, never pulling the trigger, and putting Rosas in a shit position where he had to keep Ryan as coach. From Rosas position if Glen sells, everyone would probably get replaced so he had to make this move now to get his guy in there.

They had nothing but good things to say about Ryan as a person and that all the players love him.
None of that surprises me and it all makes sense.