Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Let's get better... Don't play McLaughlin

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Let's get better... Don't play McLaughlin

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I really don't get it.

You have a first round pick 6'7" PG sitting on the bench who the coach says is ready to get minutes.

Yet they keep wheeling this G leaguer McLaughlin out there. Why?

What does he give you?

He can't shoot
He is too small to be an effective defender
He doesn't create offense for others

Stop playing him for fucks sake.

Give his minutes to Nowell or Bolmaro
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
witljon

Re: Let's get better... Don't play McLaughlin

Post by witljon »

Trust the process…
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I don’t understand people continually clamoring for Nowell. Every sighting of the guy leaves me completely underwhelmed. He’s in his third year, has had opportunities on shit squads to make a statement and the best he could do, last year, was hovering in the low-30’s from deep. To make it more confusing, you’re asking for him to replace McLaughlin. Yeah, he’s diminutive, but the dude manages the game well and doesn’t get in the way, which is kinda what you want. He’s like a cheaper version of Tyus, yet you want to replace him with a guy that hunts shots.

We’re at a point where we’re finally stringing together wins, the defense looks fantastic, roles finally seem to be settling and more defined by the day…

Just fucking go with it. There aren’t any advantages in trying to feed that guy minutes. Stop bitching and just fucking enjoy.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

I think Finch is just giving everyone that has played in the past to get their games on track.

Even if that is the case, McGlaughlin truly serves no purpose anymore and shouldn’t have been given a contract with Nowell and Bolmaro here.

Nowell hasn’t delivered at all when given his tiny minutes, but Bolmaro in his tiny minutes has shown more to his game in that time than McGlaughlin has in all of his time here.

McLaughlin showed again in last nights game (as he has in almost every previous game this season) there is no reason to give him minutes anymore over Bolmaro and Nowell…..none.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't think it's a fair assessment of either bolmaro's or nowell's game when they are getting 3 minutes here and 48 seconds there. look at the growth in vandy's game when we HAD to give him regular decent minutes because we didn't have other options. at PG we have options - Dlo and bev - so it's just tiny scraps for jmac and the two aforementioned. i also see no purpose to splitting those scraps three ways with jmac taking the lion's share. he shouldn't have been signed. let's give nowell and bolmaro more opportunities to get their games on track. those two IMO have a better chance at a longer tenure with this club than jmac. play them more now - and relegate jmac to being the last option.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Iike I said. He has provided nothing in this game
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Bolmaro is not a PG. He's like a playmaking 3. He's not a PG. Nowell isn't either. He's a 2 that can handle and initiate a little bit but his handle isn't good enough to run the offense on a consistent basis.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

mac and cheese got nothing to give
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

YBBR wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:04 pm Bolmaro is not a PG. He's like a playmaking 3. He's not a PG. Nowell isn't either. He's a 2 that can handle and initiate a little bit but his handle isn't good enough to run the offense on a consistent basis.
i'll disagree. i think for as often as they are needed, it's not a problem. would rather play them than jmac because, overall, they have much more to offer.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:04 pm Bolmaro is not a PG. He's like a playmaking 3. He's not a PG. Nowell isn't either. He's a 2 that can handle and initiate a little bit but his handle isn't good enough to run the offense on a consistent basis.
i'll disagree. i think for as often as they are needed, it's not a problem. would rather play them than jmac because, overall, they have much more to offer.
I think both are and will be better but with Bev out the switch is made quite a bit harder to insert them In the rotation is my comment on it
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

When McLaughlin and Ant are on the court... Ant runs the offense
Style

Post by Style »

I’m no McLaughlin bobo, but I’d start him while Beverley is out. Starting McDaniels fucks with at least three key cogs’ positions and rotations.

If that flops, which could easily happen, I’d look to start Okogie as a Bev on ball defensive replacement.

IMO we should be trying to keep the rotation as intact as possible. It’s shown effectiveness. Just need to identify which player should take Beverley’s role while he’s out. Hell, start Bolmaro. I don’t care. But don’t move 3, 4, 5 players’ roles around.

$0.02.
Last edited by Style on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll agree with the dos centavos.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Style wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 pm I’m no McLaughlin bobo, but I’d start him while Beverly is out. Starting McDaniels fucks with at least three key cogs’ positions and rotations.

If that flops, which could easily happen, I’d look to start Okogie as a Bev on ball defensive replacement.

IMO we should be trying to keep the rotation as intact as possible. It’s shown effectiveness. Just need to identify which player should take Beverley’s role while he’s out. Hell, start Bolmaro. I don’t care. But don’t move 3, 4, 5 players’ roles around.

$0.02.
I didn’t see any of tonight, but :thumbsup:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Style wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 pm I’m no McLaughlin bobo, but I’d start him while Beverley is out. Starting McDaniels fucks with at least three key cogs’ positions and rotations.

$0.02.
Yeah. I could see that. I think McDaniels off the bench is a good role for him right now. He plays well with Naz and they usually sub DLO out early to play with the second unit and those guys play well together. It's a good time to make hay in a game because our bench has a lot of talented guys.

Finch subbed Edwards out early in the 3rd after fouls flubbed up his flow in the first half and he never even touched the ball much or got to get going.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Time to dump McMuffin
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sounds like we're back to being down on the Wolves again....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

McLaughlin had some sort of back brace on tonight, that is why we saw Bolmaro... It wasn't because Finch finally pulled his head out of his ass.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 pm McLaughlin had some sort of back brace on tonight, that is why we saw Bolmaro... It wasn't because Finch finally pulled his head out of his ass.
wally pipp in sneakers?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:42 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 pm McLaughlin had some sort of back brace on tonight, that is why we saw Bolmaro... It wasn't because Finch finally pulled his head out of his ass.
wally pipp in sneakers?
Bolmaro needs to use this and never give Finch a reason to put McGlaughlin back in even when healthy. Take his job.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:42 pm
wally pipp in sneakers?
Bolmaro needs to use this and never give Finch a reason to put McGlaughlin back in even when healthy. Take his job.
he was an upgrade. got some significant minutes in the first half too.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Is there anything Bolmaro has done well since taking McLaughlin's spot as the 3rd PG? He looks so lost.

That Rubio for Prince trade reeks so bad. Didn't address any need, and caused another one which was PG depth.
chris_numbers

Post by chris_numbers »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:12 am Is there anything Bolmaro has done well since taking McLaughlin's spot as the 3rd PG? He looks so lost.

That Rubio for Prince trade reeks so bad. Didn't address any need, and caused another one which was PG depth.
Rosas is gone and will never get a GM job.

The Timberwolves GM job is a career killer. Name one GM that had success or was hired anywhere as a gm after he left here?
Wanna know why the wolves suck.....here your leaders.

1 Billy McKinney 1988 1990-11-29
2 Jim Brewer 1990-12-04 1992-06-01
3 Jack McCloskey 1992-06-01 1995-05-11
4 Kevin McHale 1995-05-11 2008-12-08
5 Jim Stack 2008-12-08 2009-05-22
6 David Kahn 2009-05-22 2013-05-03
7 Flip Saunders 2013-05-03 2015-10-25
8 Milt Newton 2015-10-25 2016-04-20
9 Tom Thibodeau 2016-04-20 2019-01-06
10 Scott Layden 2019-01-06 2019-05-03
11 Gersson Rosas 2019-05-03 2021-09-22
Is it bad that I hate all of you even though I’ve never met you?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bolmaro needs to see a couple of threes go down to give him some more confidence. he looks like he's afraid to make mistakes on the offensive end.
T_J

Post by T_J »

chris_numbers wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:48 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:12 am Is there anything Bolmaro has done well since taking McLaughlin's spot as the 3rd PG? He looks so lost.

Rosas is gone and will never get a GM job.

The Timberwolves GM job is a career killer. Name one GM that had success or was hired anywhere as a gm after he left here?
Wanna know why the wolves suck.....here your leaders.

1 Billy McKinney 1988 1990-11-29
2 Jim Brewer 1990-12-04 1992-06-01
3 Jack McCloskey 1992-06-01 1995-05-11
4 Kevin McHale 1995-05-11 2008-12-08
5 Jim Stack 2008-12-08 2009-05-22
6 David Kahn 2009-05-22 2013-05-03
7 Flip Saunders 2013-05-03 2015-10-25
8 Milt Newton 2015-10-25 2016-04-20
9 Tom Thibodeau 2016-04-20 2019-01-06
10 Scott Layden 2019-01-06 2019-05-03
11 Gersson Rosas 2019-05-03 2021-09-22
Well there’s 3 there that had success coaching after leaving here, but not in a GM role. You’re 100% there.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

too much is made of this. rubio never made this team great. and if you look at his shooting this season - you know, how wonderfully improved it is - it's only because he's .346 from three, which is up from his career average of .327. (and that's still not particularly "write home to dad" stuff). but if you look at his shooting overall - you know, the aspect of his game that caused most of us to rip large chunks of hair out of our scalps - he's DOWN this year from his crumby career average. career shooting - .389 and this season .361. how do you think you'd REALLY be feeling about ricky if he was doing that this year as a wolf?

does ricky run an offense better than bev? probably. bev's averaging 4.4 assists this year compared to rubio's 6.3. but rubio also logs more minutes per game, so that's a bit skewed in his favor. rubio is a good rebounder - but bev is rebounding more - and as defenders, bev is superior. if only in that his influence has been felt throughout the roster to start getting at it on D. and the D numbers for the team are much better than last year, and often bev is cited as one of the major reasons. the tacit part of this, of course, is that rubio - as a backup PG - did not give the team the defensive edge that bev does. when wolves are saying that the D has been improved because of bev - what they are also saying is that last year's D sucked in part because rubio didn't have that edge to give.

so idk - i'm not at all bummed about losing ricky. it's false low hanging fruit to cite him as a reason for some of our struggles. as for prince, he's always a capable defender - and his shot has started to return. last ten games, he's shooting 34% from three (which is ricky's number for year), while rubio in his last ten games, has gone 27% from three. returning to the norm. i fully expect end of the season stats in this department to favor prince. there's still 3/4 of the season to go. prince is ascending to his norm - and ricky reverting to his.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Jmac has regressed. Causing dumb turnovers which is causing Finch to pull him.

Tyus 9 million was too much but I think I would take Tyus at 7 million over Jmac at 2 million.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:59 pm

too much is made of this. rubio never made this team great. and if you look at his shooting this season - you know, how wonderfully improved it is - it's only because he's .346 from three, which is up from his career average of .327. (and that's still not particularly "write home to dad" stuff). but if you look at his shooting overall - you know, the aspect of his game that caused most of us to rip large chunks of hair out of our scalps - he's DOWN this year from his crumby career average. career shooting - .389 and this season .361. how do you think you'd REALLY be feeling about ricky if he was doing that this year as a wolf?

does ricky run an offense better than bev? probably. bev's averaging 4.4 assists this year compared to rubio's 6.3. but rubio also logs more minutes per game, so that's a bit skewed in his favor. rubio is a good rebounder - but bev is rebounding more - and as defenders, bev is superior. if only in that his influence has been felt throughout the roster to start getting at it on D. and the D numbers for the team are much better than last year, and often bev is cited as one of the major reasons. the tacit part of this, of course, is that rubio - as a backup PG - did not give the team the defensive edge that bev does. when wolves are saying that the D has been improved because of bev - what they are also saying is that last year's D sucked in part because rubio didn't have that edge to give.

so idk - i'm not at all bummed about losing ricky. it's false low hanging fruit to cite him as a reason for some of our struggles. as for prince, he's always a capable defender - and his shot has started to return. last ten games, he's shooting 34% from three (which is ricky's number for year), while rubio in his last ten games, has gone 27% from three. returning to the norm. i fully expect end of the season stats in this department to favor prince. there's still 3/4 of the season to go. prince is ascending to his norm - and ricky reverting to his.
Its not about Ricky as much as it is how it created an extra weakness on the team we otherwise wouldn't have.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and my point is that i don't think there's much of an impact difference between bev and rubio. i don't see the big dropoff that everyone else sees, i guess.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:25 pm and my point is that i don't think there's much of an impact difference between bev and rubio. i don't see the big dropoff that everyone else sees, i guess.
I’m not sure there’s an argument for drop off considering the improvement we’ve sign defensively. I loved Rubio, but there’s just a different energy, and it’s attributable to Bev.