Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Who is Marc Lore?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

Who is Marc Lore?

Post by memyworld »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

A-Rod highlights the potential sale but who exactly is Marc Lore?

Fun facts about Marc Lore:

- In 1989, during his senior year of high school, Lore became the New Jersey State Champ for the 55-meter dash.

- In 1996 Lore qualified for the U.S. National Bobsled Team but chose to go stay with his banking job instead of train, therefore losing his seat on the national team for the 1998 Winter Olympics.

- In 1999, Lore co-founded The Pit, Inc., an Internet market-making collectible company constructed as an alternative to eBay. Lore served as CEO and The Pit was sold to the sports collectibles company, The Topps Company, Inc. for $5.7 million in 2001. Following the acquisition, Lore joined Topps as chief operating officer of gaming subsidiary WizKids.

- In 2005, Lore and Vinit Bharara founded 1800DIAPERS, later rebranded as Diapers.com. Lore served as CEO. The company was sold to Amazon in 2011 for $545 million, and Lore then worked for Amazon for over two years.

- He was named regional Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young in 2011, one of the “smartest people in technology” by Fortune (magazine), and was recently dubbed the LeBron James of eCommerce by Matt Higgins (businessman).

- In 2014, Lore founded eCommerce company, Jet with Nate Faust and Mike Hanrahan. On August 8, 2016, Walmart announced it had agreed to acquire Jet.com for $3.3 billion. Following the acquisition, Lore was appointed president and Chief Executive Officer of Walmart U.S. eCommerce.

- After stepping down from Walmart, Recode reported that Lore’s latest project will be “a multi-decade project to build ‘a city of the future’ supported by ‘a reformed version of capitalism.’” Some who have heard of the project say one focus will be on giving everyday citizens direct economic upside in the city’s growth. “Imagine a city with the vibrancy, diversity and culture of New York City combined with the efficiency, safety and innovation of Tokyo and the sustainability, governance, and social services of Sweden,” reads the vision statement for the project. “This will be our New City.” “This is going to be a lifelong project,” he added. “It’s the thing I’m most passionate about.”

- Lore is active on LinkedIn sharing entrepreneurial and business advice almost daily. He hosts a show called Startup Standup that focuses on mentoring female founders.

- In 2020, it was reported that Lore was working alongside Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez in a bid to buy the New York Mets. The deal did not go through.

- In March 2020, Lore publicly challenged hall of fame football player, Jerry Rice, to the 40-yard dash as a part of Rich Eisen’s Run Rich Run for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Lore beat Rice.
LordNu

Re: Who is Marc Lore?

Post by LordNu »

I was having a few thoughts on the sale this morning:

Why does this guy need A-Rod in his team? I would have assumed he had the money? Is A-Rod supposed to be some sort of face of the duo?

Does this guy himself have any ties to Seattle?

From that statement, it sounds like they simply want to buy a side, no matter what league/sport. However, with the TWolves, are they treating it as a some sort of money making exercise?

These guys just seem like a really odd pair to buy the TWolves, other than the connect with A-Rod and Seattle and their desire to have a side. That's the only reason I can see for them wanting to buy the team.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 pm I was having a few thoughts on the sale this morning:

Why does this guy need A-Rod in his team? I would have assumed he had the money? Is A-Rod supposed to be some sort of face of the duo?

From that statement, it sounds like they simply want to buy a side, no matter what league/sport. However, with the TWolves, are they treating it as a some sort of money making exercise?

These guys just seem like a really odd pair to buy the TWolves, other than the connect with A-Rod and Seattle and their desire to have a side. That's the only reason I can see for them wanting to buy the team.
I'm just not very worried about their connections to other cities. The evidence presented for the Wolves staying seems strong and I think A-Rod's connections to Seattle are overblown. He started his career there but he took two paydays in Texas and New York without a farewell tour back in Seattle. Plenty of owners don't live in the market where they own the team like the Wilfs, for example. In the NBA, Dan Gilbert is heavily embedded in his hometown of Detroit but owns the Cavs.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I don't trust the guys smile.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I don't think you have to worry about Lore moving the Wolves to Seattle or Las Vegas. More than likely, he'll move it to the city he wants to build from the ground up: Telosa.

Telosa Timberwolves is an awfully nice alliteration.

---

The Diapers.com Guy Wants to Build a Utopian Megalopolis

Lore aims to, "buy 200,000 acres or so of land, probably somewhere in the American West, and build a 5 million-person city from the ground up—a Georgist utopia that will serve as a demonstration project for a new, fairer phase of capitalism."

---
Last edited by memyworld on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Get in while the real estate is cheap!
Let's get Tropical
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:32 pm Get in while the real estate is cheap!
That's the opposite of what he's attempting to do:
“If you went into the desert where the land was worth nothing, or very little, and you created a foundation that owned the land, and people moved there and tax dollars built infrastructure and we built one of the greatest cities in the world, the foundation could be worth a trillion dollars,” Lore says. “And if the foundation’s mission was to take the appreciation of the land and give it back to the citizens in the form of medicine, education, affordable housing, social services: Wow, that’s it!”
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 pm I was having a few thoughts on the sale this morning:

I wouldn’t worry about Seattle at all. The NBA has 2 cash cow expansion markets in Seattle and vegas. Both are expected to start around 500 mil fee. The nba simply will not allow a team to move there and lose out on thst kind of revenue.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

And it’s not like Arod is really treasured in Seattle. Most people that live there don’t like him for leaving.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

The guy who bought the Wolves.

I had to...
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

big piece on him today in the Pi Press. and i like what i read - all positive, all progressive, sounds smart as they get. in other words, don't expect Glen Part II. i also get the impression that he'll be the brains and heart of the lore/Arod partnership - with Alex along for the funds and photo ops.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

He wants to build a city in American desert.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

witljon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:12 pm He wants to build a city in American desert.
Not necessarily.

He has candidate locations scattered around the U.S.

I want to say Arkansas or Alabama was listed.
witljon

Post by witljon »

thinktank wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:39 am
witljon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:12 pm He wants to build a city in American desert.
Not necessarily.

My guess is, if he were to actually build a city, he's going to want a pro team there.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

witljon wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm
Not necessarily.

My guess is, if he were to actually build a city, he's going to want a pro team there.
No way.

Look how long it took Vegas to get a pro team.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Not necessarily.

No way.

he wants to build a city - i'm sure he'd love it if it had a pro sports team, as long as it conforms to his master plan of what the city should be. but marc lore is a long haul guy. this is probably the 25 year plan - and, hey, he'll only be 75 by then.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:20 pm

No way.

he wants to build a city - i'm sure he'd love it if it had a pro sports team, as long as it conforms to his master plan of what the city should be. but marc lore is a long haul guy. this is probably the 25 year plan - and, hey, he'll only be 75 by then.
I’m just saying that’s a huge if. It would have to be a big ass city to support a pro team. Took Vegas 70 years or so.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and my point is that lore doesn't seem to act rashly about anything. it's all long haul. long term investment - long term rewards. i'd be shocked if he did a knee jerk and moved the team. doesn't seem at all like his style. that seems more like an a-rod deal - and i think lore is the brains of the bunch, so a-rod will take a backseat on it. lore doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would get involved in a situation where he's no longer calling the shots. and i honestly think a-rod is fine with that, as long as the team makes money.
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Abe Froman »

Why stop at your own City? Why not start your own country with its own religion.

Maybe something like the Fiefdom of Marc. Where the capital city is Telosa and holy emperor Lore resides and everyone has to practice Marcism as their religion or they get turned into gew and fed to the poor.
I made this!
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:35 pm and my point is that lore doesn't seem to act rashly about anything. it's all long haul. long term investment - long term rewards. i'd be shocked if he did a knee jerk and moved the team. doesn't seem at all like his style. that seems more like an a-rod deal - and i think lore is the brains of the bunch, so a-rod will take a backseat on it. lore doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would get involved in a situation where he's no longer calling the shots. and i honestly think a-rod is fine with that, as long as the team makes money.
Idk, people who legitimately and actively are trying to build their own city from scratch are kinda...out there...to say the least. I haven't done much research into Marc Lore to see how serious he is about this beyond just an idea.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

change is good. if lore is a visionary - more on the scale towards nikola tesla - in comparison to glen taylor - more on a scale towards dana carvey's church lady - i'll gladly put my eggs in the visionary basket.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:55 pm change is good. if lore is a visionary - more on the scale towards nikola tesla - in comparison to glen taylor - more on a scale towards dana carvey's church lady - i'll gladly put my eggs in the visionary basket.
Fair point. I've thought about my statement and realized that no one could be worse then Glen so I'm happy :lol:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Rich people wanting to buy or build cities is nothing new, in fact you don't need to be all that rich to buy a town. You are actually seeing a trend where company towns/cities may come back around. It has less to do with anything visionary, more to do with power and money. To have control over your little corner of the world, to do things how you want for your benefit. Everything else is window dressing.
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 am Rich people wanting to buy or build cities is nothing new, in fact you don't need to be all that rich to buy a town.
Hey, I’m not all that rich. :naners:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:20 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 am Rich people wanting to buy or build cities is nothing new, in fact you don't need to be all that rich to buy a town.
I have seen towns for sale as low as $500k or so...

Meaning you could go in with friends for less than the cost of a house
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:30 pm
witljon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I have seen towns for sale as low as $500k or so...

Meaning you could go in with friends for less than the cost of a house
I live out in the country, so I’m not all that interested in buying a town anyway. :shrug: