Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves/Celtics Game Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
kilkenny

Re: Wolves/Celtics Game Thread

Post by kilkenny »

Are we sleeping on the fact that Edwards is shut out when DLo is on the floor?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kilkenny wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 am Are we sleeping on the fact that Edwards is shut out when DLo is on the floor?
compound that X 2 when beasley returns.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Actually I think it was just Edwards was asleep after the second quarter in general. Don't be blaming other heinous players for him being lazy.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 am
kilkenny wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 am Are we sleeping on the fact that Edwards is shut out when DLo is on the floor?
Beasley will demand his.

I’ve been banging this drum for some time now.

As much as people want to say otherwise, Rosas had paths to both Gordon and Collins...he choked.

People like Beasley because he provides spark and made shots at times when given freedom to shoot at will. He’s not going to have that with DLO and KAT forming a tighter duo (which needs to happen), and the development of ANT as an offensive force that will get more and more calls. Jaden this Boston game showed some real positive offense going to the hoop and I hope that develops and improves to add to his three point shooting.

somuch - I’ve come around to your thinking of Jaden at the 3.....it works and creates a huge advantage for the Wolves if they could get a legit PF with size and rebounding (like Gordon or Collins) and put them out there with KAT. Put DLO and Edwards in the backcourt and that is your playoff team.

Beasley should have been moved with Culver and a pick at the Deadline when Rosas had the chance.....it was just plain stupid not to move him when his value here is only going to go down and Teams see the Wolves don’t need him and Beasley becomes unsatisfied with his role.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:12 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 am
Beasley will demand his.

I’ve been banging this drum for some time now.

As much as people want to say otherwise, Rosas had paths to both Gordon and Collins...he choked.

People like Beasley because he provides spark and made shots at times when given freedom to shoot at will. He’s not going to have that with DLO and KAT forming a tighter duo (which needs to happen), and the development of ANT as an offensive force that will get more and more calls. Jaden this Boston game showed some real positive offense going to the hoop and I hope that develops and improves to add to his three point shooting.

somuch - I’ve come around to your thinking of Jaden at the 3.....it works and creates a huge advantage for the Wolves if they could get a legit PF with size and rebounding (like Gordon or Collins) and put them out there with KAT. Put DLO and Edwards in the backcourt and that is your playoff team.

Beasley should have been moved with Culver and a pick at the Deadline when Rosas had the chance.....it was just plain stupid not to move him when his value here is only going to go down and Teams see the Wolves don’t need him and Beasley becomes unsatisfied with his role.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
I think Beasley will be moved at some point, who knows maybe this off season in a sign and trade for Collins. I'm not a fan of Gordon but Collin could have succeeded here especially if we end up keeping our pick and drafting Cade to start at SF. Beasley has a skill that Minnesota rarely has had in the history of the Wolves, and that is hitting that open 3pt shot at a high clip. How many times over the years have we frustratingly bricked wide open corner 3's? Beasley ideal role is playing 26ish minutes as a 6th man, and if we ever got good enough for Beasley to come off the bench he would be a contender for 6th man of the year. In order to get a solid starting PF we might have to move Beasley since he is the best tradeable asset that we would consider trading, but I do not look forward to trading him and watching Okogie and Culver clanking corner 3's for the next few years.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

I see load swallower his still using the false narrative that Rosas choked on trading for Gordon or Collins... continues to ignore the facts.

#1 Gordon told Orlando send me to a winner so they did

#2 Collins they wanted a 1st attached to a deal and John is a selfish ego maniac who not only thinks he is one of the best in the league but wants to be paid like it.

Those options were taken off the board so Rosas didn’t choke he made the smart decision.

I do think Beasley gets moved in the off-season as well as Rubio. Edwards I think deferred a bit to DLo and not worried about in the future will find his place. Tatum showed what a superstar he is last night and carried his team to victory.

No shame in that loss last night even though we still probably should have won.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i just don't think there's enough ball to go around for KAT/Dlo/Ant/beas. we had three guys on the floor last night that combined for 80. that's really good - and i think it's kind of repeatable - anywhere from 70 to 80 points a night. very soon, mcdaniels is going to be a double digit scorer - maybe low teens - and with the rest of the crew chipping in, we have offense. what we don't have is defense. someone said that if we had beasley last night, we would have won. i don't follow that. beasley would have had zero impact on jayson tatum scoring 53 points. we need better stronger D from a regular starting PF. hell, as much as you laugh - i think we would have won that game last night even if we had RHJ or gary clark (just waived) on the roster to throw at tatum for 22 minutes. we had nothing last night in terms of a way to slow him down. we need to identify and acquire a player who can defend like RHJ or clark, but also give us just 10 to 14 ppg in the regular flow of the O.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Style

Post by Style »

I too think Beasley should be gone in the offseason. My target would be a defensive big. Poeltl would be amazing, but I doubt SA would be interested in Beasley.

Maybe a 3 team deal?

I like McDaniels as the future 3. He just needs time to physically mature. Tatum was too big.

DLo/Ant/McDaniels/KAT/Defensive big

Little subs: Nowell, Okogie, Jmac
Big subs: Naz, Juancho

Potential: top 3 pick
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am
morneaumvp wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 pm If Beasley or atleast Nowell played we win that, we needed that scoring oomph from bench badly.

Good loss, still on track to replace Rubio/JMac at PG with

our bench scored 51 points last night. okogie had has best game of the year with 16. we lost by 9. even if malik and nowell were playing and made a bunch of threes (to replace made twos that other players shot) - they'd have had to combine for 9 threes to make up those 9 points just to tie to game. show me a game when nowell and malik have combined for 9 threes. it's all beside the point. read ANY headline for the game. Tatum's 53 sinks Wolves. offense was not the problem last night, like it isn't many nights. we couldn't slow down jayson tatum. he scored 48 in regulation - 23 more than his average. defense is the problem. who did we have guarding him last night? doesn't matter - whoever (okogie, juancho, mcdaniels) they all got abused. okogie is too small, juancho simply isn't a good defender and mcdaniels still too young and slight for that kind of assignment. number one need on this team is a quality night in night out defender at PF. if we can land someone like that in an offseason trade for beasley, we do it.
We had a super cold spell in the 3rd quarter, either Beasley or Nowell could have given us a bit of oomph to keep the roll going.
Yes we couldn't stop Tatum but going cold for 5-7 minutes to end a quarter is unacceptable.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

This black hole of a PF situation now has a light showing that though. We have BEAS to move for one and will go a long way to solve the issue

Since there is NO way that Dblow can be moved, this is about the only decent asset we have and as everyone but Rosas new at the beginning of the year, we have NO power forward.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i've actually been pleased with some of juancho's play lately. not saying that he's an answer as our starter - but i could see him now possibly having some appeal for another team in a trade. he continues with decent play and we could either keep him or pair him with beasley in a trade for a starting PF. still hoping and wishing for myles turner.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am
morneaumvp wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 pm If Beasley or atleast Nowell played we win that, we needed that scoring oomph from bench badly.

Good loss, still on track to replace Rubio/JMac at PG with

our bench scored 51 points last night. okogie had has best game of the year with 16. we lost by 9. even if malik and nowell were playing and made a bunch of threes (to replace made twos that other players shot) - they'd have had to combine for 9 threes to make up those 9 points just to tie to game. show me a game when nowell and malik have combined for 9 threes. it's all beside the point. read ANY headline for the game. Tatum's 53 sinks Wolves. offense was not the problem last night, like it isn't many nights. we couldn't slow down jayson tatum. he scored 48 in regulation - 23 more than his average. defense is the problem. who did we have guarding him last night? doesn't matter - whoever (okogie, juancho, mcdaniels) they all got abused. okogie is too small, juancho simply isn't a good defender and mcdaniels still too young and slight for that kind of assignment. number one need on this team is a quality night in night out defender at PF. if we can land someone like that in an offseason trade for beasley, we do it.
We had a super cold spell in the 3rd quarter, either Beasley or Nowell could have given us a bit of oomph to keep the roll going.
Yes we couldn't stop Tatum but going cold for 5-7 minutes to end a quarter is unacceptable.

i looked up the quarter and i think you're referring to a 3 min 30 sec stretch in the middle of the 3rd in which we only had a basket by mcdaniels. but the wolves on the floor during that stretch included KAT, edwards and mcdaniels for all of it - and Dlo, rubio, okogie and juancho for parts. we HAD our scorers out there - and mcdaniels was the only guy who hit something. Exhibit A however continues to be the game-long beat down that tatum put on us. not a 3:30 section in which KAT/Dlo/Edwards couldn't find the hoop.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:38 pm i've actually been pleased with some of juancho's play lately. not saying that he's an answer as our starter - but i could see him now possibly having some appeal for another team in a trade. he continues with decent play and we could either keep him or pair him with beasley in a trade for a starting PF. still hoping and wishing for myles turner.
Good news and yes that helps any deal