Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Atlanta asks for Beasley and a 1st for Collins

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: Atlanta asks for Beasley and a 1st for Collins

Post by thinktank »

Edwards / Beasley = time to balance the roster.

Guys, we can’t have 17M in SG coming off the bench.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Atlanta is thoroughly in the playoff mix having won 8 straight.

Why are they going to shake up their team again?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

You can have one, not both.

1st and Culver or Beasley and nothing.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I was into the Collins hype in that draft as he was shooting up draft boards. Still could have taken him instead of Justin Patton!!!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What/when/who's 1st are we giving up anyway???
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:01 pm I was into the Collins hype in that draft as he was shooting up draft boards. Still could have taken him instead of Justin Patton!!!
Whatever happened to Patton? Didn't some here think he was gonna be pretty good?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

T_J wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 pm Atlanta is thoroughly in the playoff mix having won 8 straight.

They don't want to pay Collins. That's pretty much it.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Hornets wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:04 pm
YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:01 pm I was into the Collins hype in that draft as he was shooting up draft boards. Still could have taken him instead of Justin Patton!!!
Whatever happened to Patton? Didn't some here think he was gonna be pretty good?
He looked good in the G league but lower body injuries kept setting him back.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:03 pm What/when/who's 1st are we giving up anyway???
Right? It would be contingent on if we even keep this one this year or not. Because you can't deal your own 1st round picks in back to back years.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

Beasley could easily be the best 3pt shooter in Wolves history if he continued shooting the way he has. I think I would trade Beasley for Collins straight up, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Adding in a first is a no go for me. I like the idea of getting Collins, and if you could guarantee me we are going to get a top pick and draft Cade I would be all for it.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I do like the idea of balancing the roster. Even though Beasley is one of the only guys to bring it even when the whole team was in the tank. We have a ton of 2 guards, we have to shed some.

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Nowell
Culver
Style

Post by Style »

Atlanta is already coming back down to reality. No need for us to cave hard.

Beasley for Collins/Snell. Maybe we add some of grandma’s sweeteners (the gross ass candy drops, therefore not really sweeteners) by adding V8, Culver, J-Mac, or a 2nd to close. We could even send them some real V8 if it’d help close the deal.

If they want to get real crazy and take the candy drops and leave us only grandma’s unsalted cashews, I’d take a contract like Rondo on.

That’s it though. Tell them that’s the offer and wish them well paying all those bigs next year. Or letting JC walk for nothing in a few months.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

All depends on the protection we could get on the pick.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Style

Post by Style »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 pm I do like the idea of balancing the roster. Even though Beasley is one of the only guys to bring it even when the whole team was in the tank. We have a ton of 2 guards, we have to shed some.

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Nowell
Culver
Yup. Nowell is Beasley in training. Okogie has carved out a role as a perimeter defender. Add in Layman into that wing mix as well. Finch seems to have good feel with his rotations. I don’t think losing Beasley would be all that problematic.

Find a compromise and get er done Gerssss clapper.
Style

Post by Style »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 pm All depends on the protection we could get on the pick.
Where’s your line? Top 5? 10? Lottery?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:45 pm You can have one, not both.

1st and Culver or Beasley and nothing.
Yeah, I feel Beasley alone is fair enough. They get a good player for multiple years on a team friendly contract to put next to Trae. This would be one of the cases where both teams win.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Style wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 pm All depends on the protection we could get on the pick.
Where’s your line? Top 5? 10? Lottery?
Probably 10
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 pm I do like the idea of balancing the roster. Even though Beasley is one of the only guys to bring it even when the whole team was in the tank. We have a ton of 2 guards, we have to shed some.

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Nowell
Culver
Again, if the team improved because they now had a true lineup that can matchup better against other NBA teams and that pick was the 10th - 18th overall, Collins for Beasley plus a first is a major rip off for the Wolves.

A franchise that was not a total loser would do that trade in a heart beat, just as Denver and HOuston did last season when the Wolves essentially traded Robert Covington and scraps for Beasley and a first and scraps. If Robert Covington is worth Beasley and a first, John Collins is worth a hell of a lot more.

I get the pick that was traded had good protections, but at the same time Beasley had to be resigned to a pretty big contract. Beasley is owed $45 million over the next 3 years and this suspension for off court behavior has reduced his value.

We won't do the trade because we assume the team will suck, and suck forever so the draft pick we trade will be a top of the draft pick. And I can understand that if Collins wasn't 23 years old entering the prime of his career.

Like I said, the first round pick needs to be the 2023 pick because that is the first we can trade. It could defer to 2024 because of the protections on the 2021 traded pick. If you put top-10 protection on the pick for 2023-2025 you push out that value curve a long ways.

This is a risk the Wolves should take and it is a risk that should fit their development window. To me it really reduces the desperation of retaining our 2021 pick that would rely on luck. We would field a complete lineup of Russell-Edwards-Collins-Towns-McDaniel (as a SF like he should be) that could be improved with Cade Cunningham in 2021 as our top pick.

I get we are nothing but Losers who assume that our pick will be a lotto pick, but sometimes these thoughts need to be put aside and you make the move.
j2j

Post by j2j »

How about 2 former firsts? Bye Culver and Okogie.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

j2j wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 pm How about 2 former firsts? Bye Culver and Okogie.
If you had John Collins, would you take that for him? I don't think they want to just get rid of him for nothing.
j2j

Post by j2j »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:52 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 pm How about 2 former firsts? Bye Culver and Okogie.
If you had John Collins, would you take that for him? I don't think they want to just get rid of him for nothing.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm Beasley could easily be the best 3pt shooter in Wolves history if he continued shooting the way he has. I think I would trade Beasley for Collins straight up, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Adding in a first is a no go for me. I like the idea of getting Collins, and if you could guarantee me we are going to get a top pick and draft Cade I would be all for it.
I think you should look up this guy called Hoiberg. Ain't nobody touching him as the Wolves best 3pt shooter.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

No picks

Players only
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LordNu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 pm
twolves31 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm Beasley could easily be the best 3pt shooter in Wolves history if he continued shooting the way he has. I think I would trade Beasley for Collins straight up, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Adding in a first is a no go for me. I like the idea of getting Collins, and if you could guarantee me we are going to get a top pick and draft Cade I would be all for it.
I think you should look up this guy called Hoiberg. Ain't nobody touching him as the Wolves best 3pt shooter.
In the theoretical that Beasley stays here for multiple years and continues to shoot around 40%, I think it would be subjective. Fred shot great here for 2 years, and did it as a bit player, playing about 20 mpg, and shooting about 2 threes per game. If Beasley were to play 4-6 years here, and continued to shoot around 40% from 3, putting up 8.5 3's a game in 30+ mpg, he would shatter Wolves records for 3 point shooting.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:03 pm
LordNu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 pm
In the theoretical that Beasley stays here for multiple years and continues to shoot around 40%, I think it would be subjective. Fred shot great here for 2 years, and did it as a bit player, playing about 20 mpg, and shooting about 2 threes per game. If Beasley were to play 4-6 years here, and continued to shoot around 40% from 3, putting up 8.5 3's a game in 30+ mpg, he would shatter Wolves records for 3 point shooting.
True, the difference I was pointing at was percentage. Hoiberg hit .442 one season and then .483!
witljon

Post by witljon »

T_J wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 pm Atlanta is thoroughly in the playoff mix having won 8 straight.

They don’t want to shake up their team, unless of course someone is willing to overpay.
T_J

Post by T_J »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:04 pm

If that’s the case, they can play him out this year and he can take a RFA offer this summer. Why from their perspective would they make a Beasley and a 1st move which is at best a neutral move for this year given how they’ve played of late.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

T_J wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:33 pm

If that’s the case, they can play him out this year and he can take a RFA offer this summer. Why from their perspective would they make a Beasley and a 1st move which is at best a neutral move for this year given how they’ve played of late.
Being able to put a player like Beasley on a team friendly contract, next to Trae in the backcourt for at least 3 more years after this one would be huge for them.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Do they want Dhoe?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:47 pm
T_J wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Being able to put a player like Beasley on a team friendly contract, next to Trae in the backcourt for at least 3 more years after this one would be huge for them.
It is team friendly until Beasley is shipped off to prison or suspended for drug policy violations.