Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Atlanta asks for Beasley and a 1st for Collins

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
morneaumvp

Atlanta asks for Beasley and a 1st for Collins

Post by morneaumvp »

Twolves say go fuck yourselves :lol:

Bob Wiley

Re: Atlanta asks for Beasley and a 1st for Collins

Post by Bob Wiley »

morneaumvp wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:20 pm Twolves say go fuck yourselves :lol:

Hopefully, Atl will be more willing to do something as the deadline gets closer.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Yeah. We just cannot afford to give off any more first rounders. Maybe once we are worth a damn. Again, Beasley is on a good contract for how he is performing and we just inked him to it, trade that to pay Collins the 25 million he's looking for 5 years. Yeah, that's a pass.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Atlanta probably came to froob chat and saw some froob willing to give up Beasley and 1st for Gordon and figured Collins is better, so why not?
Let's get Tropical
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:24 pm Yeah. We just cannot afford to give off any more first rounders. Maybe once we are worth a damn. Again, Beasley is on a good contract for how he is performing and we just inked him to it, trade that to pay Collins the 25 million he's looking for 5 years. Yeah, that's a pass.
100%, they can have V8, Juancho and Culver plus a 2nd.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

To me Collins' value is hard to gauge. A Beasley swap is closer with Collins than Gordon, but Collins is also probably worth more on the market.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Malik Beasley and a reasonably protected first for John Collins? Why in the fuck would the Wolves turn that down? That is a trade you do in 1/8th of a second before the other side comes to their senses.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm To me Collins' value is hard to gauge. A Beasley swap is closer with Collins than Gordon, but Collins is also probably worth more on the market.
I'm in a similar boat I like his ability to rebound and shoot and he's pretty efficient from the floor. How much better is he than Bealsey in a vacuum? Then it's how much better is he when you're paying Bealsey $15 million and instead you're paying Collins $25 million?

If they can do like a Beasley/Culver/2nd deal for Collins and something else for the money to work. Can Edwards slide down and Nowell back him up and you're set on the 2 guard? Because that opens space for guys like McDaniels to develop and having a potential all-star level PF.

Dlo
Edwards
McDaniels
Collins
Towns
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm Malik Beasley and a reasonably protected first for John Collins? Why in the fuck would the Wolves turn that down? That is a trade you do in 1/8th of a second before the other side comes to their senses.
To think paying Collins 2x what Beasley is slated to make is one thing, to think adding a 1st is something that is unquestionable is another...I don't follow.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:24 pm Yeah. We just cannot afford to give off any more first rounders. Maybe once we are worth a damn. Again, Beasley is on a good contract for how he is performing and we just inked him to it, trade that to pay Collins the 25 million he's looking for 5 years. Yeah, that's a pass.
A first for Collins is just fine...plus a prospect. Nothing more. Beasley isn't a prospect. Frankly, our "prospects" are not prospects. Culver is the aim if you give a 1st.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Atlanta obviously doesn’t want the 1st protected. So you folks clamoring for the deal on the basis of Beasley and a protected 1st are probably delusional. And there’s absolutely no way I’m giving up an unprotected 1st and Beasley on a reasonable deal to get Collins, a big who’s mediocre defensively and about to be paid 25 million dollars a season. Only the Wolves would pay two bigs almost 60 million per year.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:48 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm Malik Beasley and a reasonably protected first for John Collins? Why in the fuck would the Wolves turn that down? That is a trade you do in 1/8th of a second before the other side comes to their senses.
To think paying Collins 2x what Beasley is slated to make is one thing, to think adding a 1st is something that is unquestionable is another...I don't follow.
Collins value is worth that to the team because it is incremental. It is a gigantic hole on the team. Right now, Malik Beasley isn't even a starter on the Wolves unless you want to put a team that lacks balance on the floor and cannot properly match up with most opponents (which is not the worst option).

Next, the guy seems to be unstable. Maybe I would have more reservations without the latest felony issues which at least from Beasley's and the Wolves' perspective positive because they were completely watered down in the charges and penalties. If this guy was not a NBA player being paid 8 figures he is sitting in prison right now for at least 36-48 months.

Next, John Collins is 23 years old. Get over the draft pick issue, he is the draft pick. He has some negatives because you will have to pay him but the Wolves would control his terms because he would be a restricted free agent. But he is more than a proven player. He is a 21-11/36 player that has a complete game.

Last, when thinking about making moves I believe that sometimes you need to get rid of the LOSERS PERSEPCTIVE. I am not saying you are a loser, but rather, you are looking forward and thinking the Wolves will be perennial losers forever. I get that feeling, but sometimes you need to move on from that. Beasley+first round pick for John Collins could be one of the biggest steals in NBA trade history if the team improves even marginally. The earliest that Minnesota can include a first round pick in a trade at the deadline is its 2023 first round pick and if the 2021 first does not convey, that pick would be 2024.

If we still suck in 2023/24 it really doesnt matter.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pm
Collins value is worth that to the team because it is incremental. It is a gigantic hole on the team. Right now, Malik Beasley isn't even a starter on the Wolves unless you want to put a team that lacks balance on the floor and cannot properly match up with most opponents (which is not the worst option).

Next, the guy seems to be unstable. Maybe I would have more reservations without the latest felony issues which at least from Beasley's and the Wolves' perspective positive because they were completely watered down in the charges and penalties. If this guy was not a NBA player being paid 8 figures he is sitting in prison right now for at least 36-48 months.

Next, John Collins is 23 years old. Get over the draft pick issue, he is the draft pick. He has some negatives because you will have to pay him but the Wolves would control his terms because he would be a restricted free agent. But he is more than a proven player. He is a 21-11/36 player that has a complete game.

Last, when thinking about making moves I believe that sometimes you need to get rid of the LOSERS PERSEPCTIVE. I am not saying you are a loser, but rather, you are looking forward and thinking the Wolves will be perennial losers forever. I get that feeling, but sometimes you need to move on from that. Beasley+first round pick for John Collins could be one of the biggest steals in NBA trade history if the team improves even marginally. The earliest that Minnesota can include a first round pick in a trade at the deadline is its 2023 first round pick and if the 2021 first does not convey, that pick would be 2024.

If you want to pay two bigs who aren’t good defensively 60 million dollars combined for at least the next 3 seasons then fine. I agree Collins is a good fit with KAT offensively. But defensively he’s just solid, certainly not a rim protector.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Beasley is worth more than you think as demonstrated in your though MN would need to add something to him to get Gordon. I love Collins. Beasley and a 1st is heavy! Not sure how heavy, but heavy. Getting Reddish back heavy? That is about where I put it. Beasley and 1st for Collins and Reddish...plus filler.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Future firsts need to be off the table unless it’s for an allstar.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:25 pm Future firsts need to be off the table unless it’s for an allstar.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Hell no! And I wouldn't give either separately for Gordon.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:45 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm To me Collins' value is hard to gauge. A Beasley swap is closer with Collins than Gordon, but Collins is also probably worth more on the market.
I'm in a similar boat I like his ability to rebound and shoot and he's pretty efficient from the floor. How much better is he than Bealsey in a vacuum? Then it's how much better is he when you're paying Bealsey $15 million and instead you're paying Collins $25 million?

If they can do like a Beasley/Culver/2nd deal for Collins and something else for the money to work. Can Edwards slide down and Nowell back him up and you're set on the 2 guard? Because that opens space for guys like McDaniels to develop and having a potential all-star level PF.

Dlo
Edwards
McDaniels
Collins
Towns
Your second paragraph is what I have been envisioning as well, and would do in a heartbeat.

The answer is likely somewhere in the middle of that, hope Rosas continues to talk with them.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Stay the course. Get a top 3 pick. Can't jeopardize that right now. We need assets to build this team, not trading them away.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Minnesota would need to take back about $6 million in additional salary to make that one work without another team. If I were Atlanta I would try to cut bait on Bogdanovich if possible. That guy sucks. Horrible free agent waste. Or Gallo. At least Gallo is decent when healthy. He's just rarely healthy for long.
Style

Post by Style »

Beasley for Collins I’m game. The 1st is a no. There’s a compromise to be had in there. Something like we give Culver/2 and Atlanta adds a bad deal like Rondo, for example.

It’s close though.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Style wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:14 pm Beasley for Collins I’m game. The 1st is a no. There’s a compromise to be had in there. Something like we give Culver/2 and Atlanta adds a bad deal like Rondo, for example.

It’s close though.
I agree that it’s close, stoked...go make it happen Gers!
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I'm a Collins guy, but even though we need a starting PF, I'd still argue we need plenty of shooting. Unless you think Nowell replaces the bombs Beas can drop, I don't see how you move him at all without good shooting from outside coming back. As big of a fan of Collins I am, Beasley is a better player in todays NBA, and he's making less money than what Collins is asking for. If Collins was more of a defensive piece, I could see more value for him....but since ATL has already said they'll match any offer, it seems silly to give up our only good assets for a guy we could just bid on in the offseason. Yes, I know we don't have space currently, but everyone here knows how quickly that can change. It's going to have to be a three team deal, but if we were to give up Beasley and a first of any protection, we would have to get back more than John Collins. Again, love Collins, but he's not as gifted as a scorer, he's not a great rebounder or defender (however, fine enough) and he's going to want more money than Beas. If Beas were like 29 or 30, it be easier to move on, but he's just now scratching his surface at 24 and he's locked up, again, for less than what Collins will make. If Collins showed out to be a shot blocker or something, I'd get it, but while he's an upgrade, he's not worth Beasley, let alone Beasley and a first.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Collins is shooting 37.7 from 3. Beasley 40.6. I like the position swap. Helps us and them.

No pick, even swap with matchings.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Beasley & Culver for Collins, Reddish, & Snell...let’s go!
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Dubs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:45 pm Beasley & Culver for Collins, Reddish, & Snell...let’s go!
Huerter works in lieu of Reddish...which I’d do as well.

(Assuming ATL needs Reddish in deal to go get Ball from NO)
Last edited by Dubs on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Could Edwards play point guard for us and we move DLo?

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Collins
Towns
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

morneaumvp wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm Could Edwards play point guard for us and we move DLo?

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Collins
Towns
No, he cannot...
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Dubs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:00 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm Could Edwards play point guard for us and we move DLo?

Edwards
Beasley
Okogie
Collins
Towns
No, he cannot...
Would be curious to try the rest of the year, and if not we lose enough where we can draft Cade Cunningham
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

You think Atlanta was looking for a "reasonably protected first"?

:lol:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”