Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

We NEED that pick THIS year!!

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
kilkenny

We NEED that pick THIS year!!

Post by kilkenny »

Anything and everything we need to do to get it. Tank the hell out of this thing.

Getting one of the top 3 this year could be franchise changing for us. Not getting a pick could be devastating for us.

Root for the losing! I hate doing it but Rosas put us in this situation.

Wish we were losing with that fucker Wiggins instead of DLo. I hate that trade and I'm not sure why it would be made if Rosas wasn't sure we'd be close to a playoff team. Rosas' biggest mistake. :doublefinger:
weimy froob

Re: We NEED that pick THIS year!!

Post by weimy froob »

i can't do it--but i think you're right. they're doing a good enough job coughing up 4th quarter leads without me doing a thing but paying attention.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I think KAT will eventually get shut down for the year and we'll end up in the top three of the lottery. Still gotta get lucky though. Adding a prospect like Cade Cunningham or Evan Mobley could potentially be a game changer for this franchise and would also make this a very attractive job to potential head coaching candidates.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Isn't it still only like a 40% chance of getting a top 3 pick, even if they end up with the worst record.

I agree that losing the pick will be devastating, but do you really purposefully tank while having less than a coin flips chance at retaining the pick?

Wolves should have fought really hard to have made it top 4 protected, would GSW really have walked away from the offer if it was one pick lower? I feel this could have been overlooked by Rosa's, or he felt there was no way the team would be this bad
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

We are already in a prime position. I still root for wins.
Wide left

Post by Wide left »

Yeah, I don’t think tanking is anything we have to worry about. It’ll be a pretty awful situation if they finish with the worst record and don’t even get a pick.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Tanking not needed and its dumb. Nothing is guaranteed.

Teach the guys on your team to be winners, not wait for a savior.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It’s the same chance if we’re 1, 2, or 3, right?

The lottery is fucking stupid.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Problem is, this team is going to suck again next year. Either way GSW are going to get a good pick that we could really use.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm Isn't it still only like a 40% chance of getting a top 3 pick, even if they end up with the worst record.

I agree that losing the pick will be devastating, but do you really purposefully tank while having less than a coin flips chance at retaining the pick?

Wolves should have fought really hard to have made it top 4 protected, would GSW really have walked away from the offer if it was one pick lower? I feel this could have been overlooked by Rosa's, or he felt there was no way the team would be this bad
I question that too. Did he not know the new lottery rules? The DLo trade didn’t need to be made in a rush...he was always going to be available.

They beat us bad on that trade and we were clearly out-negotiated.

Also to Hoop Dreams point...KAT already said his wrist isn’t healed. He’ll be done within a month and DLo is for sure done for the year. They need to tank, but I hate how fucking fake this is year after year after year. Can we just name it the Glen special? He’s the common denominator of like 6 regimes that always end the same way.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if we keep the pick, it's mobley and then start shopping KAT.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

shoteh wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm Tanking not needed and its dumb. Nothing is guaranteed.

Yeah, this, and only a 40% chance at a top 3 if they end up with one of the worst three records...

Further to this point, is that if they have the 4th worst, there chances are still about the same at 37%, 5th worst at about 32%, 6th at about 27%...and on and on...

Is it really worth it to purposefully be losers when it might only gain us an extra 3-7 percent chance at the top 3, when the top 3 isn't guaranteed in any way, no matter where you finish?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we shouldn't purposefully lose (hear that ryan?) for just the reasons you stated. they cannot continue to cross their fingers and wish for a savior year after year after year. that constant losing starts to become part of the DNA of a young player - and we have a bunch on this squad. (and i'll also add that's probably EXACTLY what has gone on with KAT. losing is now a part of his fabric.) they should try to win every game, right down to the last play, last substitution, last foul, last roster spot, last whatever. a big step in that direction would be to send saunders his walking papers this morning before he can get dressed for church.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

As long as you go in with expectations to lose it.....
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Shut down KAT. Play the rookies more. That's how it's done. They'll have more experience for next year when we make the playoffs. The Warriors can have our 17th pick then.

The goal is to finish with one of the 3 worst records so we maintain that 40%.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

shoteh wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm Tanking not needed and its dumb. Nothing is guaranteed.

And who's this teacher you're talking about? :lol:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 am Shut down KAT. Play the rookies more. That's how it's done. They'll have more experience for next year when we make the playoffs. The Warriors can have our 17th pick then.

The goal is to finish with one of the 3 worst records so we maintain that 40%.
That shouldn't be a problem. Every team in the west is better or trying to win some.... in the east, Detroit and Cleveland are pretty bad but Washington has won four straight. I worry about OKC a bit but again.. they seem to be trying in games at least.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 am As long as you go in with expectations to lose it.....
This. There's no way we keep our pick. I've already prepared myself.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:54 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:44 pm I think KAT will eventually get shut down for the year and we'll end up in the top three of the lottery. Still gotta get lucky though. Adding a prospect like Cade Cunningham or Evan Mobley could potentially be a game changer for this franchise and would also make this a very attractive job to potential head coaching candidates.
I'm honestly starting to think we need to part ways with KAT. I just have a bad vibe about his health and motivation going forward. This is the first time I've said this, but something changed with me about him this year.
That will change if we start winning. At the moment he's being Cousins, shiny tool but not usable much.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:10 am
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 am As long as you go in with expectations to lose it.....
On it.
Not me. I wanna feel the rage when we get pick number 4. :doublefinger:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 am
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:10 am
On it.
Not me. I wanna feel the rage when we get pick number 4. :doublefinger:
lol.... last year was the first year I didn't watch the lottery... was buying a vehicle and then my phone started going crazy.... I will find something to stay occupied again this year just incase that was the ticket!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

As of today with the new regime taking over, the Wolves are dead last in the league and 5 games back from being 4th worst and losing their best odds at keeping their pick. Stay tuned!
Let's get Tropical
witljon

Post by witljon »

I'm honestly starting to think we need to part ways with KAT. I just have a bad vibe about his health and motivation going forward. This is the first time I've said this, but something changed with me about him this year.
I think trading Towns would be a big mistake.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

witljon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am
Towns for Wiggins/Wiseman/our pick back!?!?!?

Actually, ask for Oubre instead of Wiggy.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I think we're in good shape for a bottom 3 finish. We've got 41 games to play, I figure 23 wins should secure it. That means we can go 16-25 to finish the season. I'd be down for that.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Yes.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

GSW can put together a tempting offer for KAT. Same with PHX. But unless the Big Meow says "TRADE ME!" I'm keeping that guy. He's good!

Wolves should try winning no matter what. Even with the pending pick. There's going to be a good outgoing 1st this year or next. Accept that reality and keep it moving forward.

On a side, the lottery really hasn't prevented tanking. The only way to truly prevent tanking is to put all 14 names in a hat and draw them at random for a 1-14 order. You finished last but ended up with #14? Tough break. Do better.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Yes.
Not me.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Read a trade concept somewhere (can’t find it again) which the results ultimately was GS having the right to swap first round picks the next two years. If I remember right it was either Okogie/Culver/Ed going to GS and Oubre coming back. Liked the creative way it cleaned up the Wiggins trade in next years draft. Not likely but interesting.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Damn, we need this pick!

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!