Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

McDaniels or Vanderbilt?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Which guy is the starting 4 moving forward?

Jaden McDaniels
71%
Jarred Vanderbilt
24%
Someone Else
6%

Total votes: 17

UnFadeable21

McDaniels or Vanderbilt?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Who is the starting 4 moving forward?

McDaniels is 6’10 200lbs, better shooter and shot blocker. More pop and catch shoot PF.

Vanderbilt is 6’9 218 lbs, better rebounder and defender. More roll to the rim PF.

McDaniels has a nice shooting stroke and he has shown he can block shots in the preseason and regular season. Was a top 10 HS recruit. He has a 4 year 10 million contract with options on year 3 and 4.

Vanderbilt is probably the 2nd best rebounder on the team tied with Davis after KAT. He has high energy and can defend but he’s non factor shooting and he’s a 50% free throw shooter. Was a McDonald’s All American. He’s a 2021 RFA next season.

Juancho is going to get to play when he comes back from Covid because of his contract and will play back up 4. He has a 3 year deal 21 million with 3rd year option.
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Corre Ricky Corre

Re: McDaniels or Vanderbilt?

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I'll go a step further and start them both. McDaniels can move and guard 3s.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

If you're going to lose games you might as well start McDaniels and Edwards and let him figure it out on the court.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

McDaniels is not big enough to consistently guard the other teams "4" yet. Certain line ups, sure, but not full time. He needs to gain weight and saying he weighs 200 is generous.

Kid has mad skills but he is best suited to be playing the "3" right now. Don't set him up for failure!
Last edited by flexbuffchest on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:22 am I'll go a step further and start them both. McDaniels can move and guard 3s.
Okogie is going to start at the 3 as he is the point of attack defender on the starting lineup so that’s not a realistic option.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

McDaniels best plays from last night. Steal and slam and then two blocks
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

populousample

Post by populousample »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 am If you're going to lose games you might as well start McDaniels and Edwards and let him figure it out on the court.
Unfortunately that might be to much of a long-term risk with S(q)uanders “coaching” them. Might be better off in the G league
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

The answer is AND. Vandy is a 4 and MDaniels is a 3. On a real team with a real GM.

Just another example of when we finally make good personnel moves how we fuck them royally by playing guys out of position, not playing them at all, etc.............. It is more important to the idiot and his rent boy to prove they are right than to take advantage of the utter luck they get with a throw in player they didn't want like Vandy, or a lucky talent drop they don't have if not for the absolute blunder of the Rubio deal.

Imagine cleaning house and hiring a group of talent developing professionals. How much better would you feel right now? Oh, and if we didn't piss away #1 picks and trade up for guys we don't want every year.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

populousample wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 am If you're going to lose games you might as well start McDaniels and Edwards and let him figure it out on the court.
Unfortunately that might be to much of a long-term risk with S(q)uanders “coaching” them. Might be better off in the G league
If you came up with the S(q)uanders nickname congratulations on the most on the nose name of all time.

That's good stuff.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

DLO
BEASLEY
EDWARDS
MCDANIELS
KAT

I don’t want to see anyone else starting than those players.

Vandy and McDaniels are both small for PF, but McDaniels will get bigger. Also his game screams “big future”, may be Rosas’s home run.

Screw Okogie and Culver - NBA bench players at best...stop wasting time.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am The answer is AND. Vandy is a 4 and MDaniels is a 3. On a real team with a real GM.

Just another example of when we finally make good personnel moves how we fuck them royally by playing guys out of position, not playing them at all, etc.............. It is more important to the idiot and his rent boy to prove they are right than to take advantage of the utter luck they get with a throw in player they didn't want like Vandy, or a lucky talent drop they don't have if not for the absolute blunder of the Rubio deal.

Imagine cleaning house and hiring a group of talent developing professionals. How much better would you feel right now? Oh, and if we didn't piss away #1 picks and trade up for guys we don't want every year.
You already know this team doesn’t play bigs like that
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am The answer is AND. Vandy is a 4 and MDaniels is a 3. On a real team with a real GM.

You already know this team doesn’t play bigs like that
A guy can dream..................of the ritualized Japanese suicide of everyone from the Kitty and D-No! on up.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

If I had a choice just between the guys we have, I'd still go with Vandy.

McDaniel is growing on me but that guy is too scrawny. He'd be pushed around easily despite being a very smart player. His offense makes him valuable but we need a defensive PF.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

McDaniels should be brought along as a 3.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:50 pm McDaniels should be brought along as a 3.
He covered Aaron Gordon a few plays.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

McDaniels is listed as 6’10” and is going to get bigger, he’s a rebounder and he rejects shots inside.....he can hit from three, run the floor and finish

What are people hoping for out of a PF?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:09 pm McDaniels is listed as 6’10” and is going to get bigger, he’s a rebounder and he rejects shots inside.....he can hit from three, run the floor and finish

Vanderbilt choking those free throws sealed the deal for me last night he’s not a starting player for a team.

He’s just too poor of a shooter.

Hoping McDaniels can be the Wolves version of Jonathan Isaac
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:09 pm McDaniels is listed as 6’10” and is going to get bigger, he’s a rebounder and he rejects shots inside.....he can hit from three, run the floor and finish

playing him now full on as a PF will stunt him. he'll get kicked around. just a year ago he found college ball too physical in the paint. play him at the 3, he's got skills for it - and bring him up to the 4 once he gains some weight. the guy weighs about as much as culver right now and we were screaming about the weight mismatch with culver at the 4 - and he's a good 4 inches shorter than mcdaniel. jaden is skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinny.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm

playing him now full on as a PF will stunt him. he'll get kicked around. just a year ago he found college ball too physical in the paint. play him at the 3, he's got skills for it - and bring him up to the 4 once he gains some weight. the guy weighs about as much as culver right now and we were screaming about the weight mismatch with culver at the 4 - and he's a good 4 inches shorter than mcdaniel. jaden is skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinny.
Small forward is already log jammed with Okogie, Culver, and Edwards
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:50 pm McDaniels should be brought along as a 3.
If he could be a legit 3, get a decent and real 4, plus KAT would make for a huge and athletic lineup. Enough of this small ball BS.
Let's get Tropical
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I totally agree. McDaniels is a not a 4, even in the stretch, stretchiest 4 version possible. He is a 3. He is a wing player who needs to play as a wing. IF you try to make him a "POWER FORWARD" he will never be a good NBA player because he is not a power player. He is a finesse player.

I get he is 6-10, but that is not what makes a front court player. Think about it this way. If the Sonics/Thunder would have drafted Kevin Durant and decided he was a "4" because he was 7 foot tall, what would his career have been? Certainly not a superstar player.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

He weighs like 190.

I absolutely see the potential of him growing into a PF but right now I don't think matching him up against 220+ pounders every night is a recipe for success. People complained and saw how incompetent Culver looked as a PF, Okogie can't do anything as a PF, etc. Obviously McDaniels is taller and longer but he just doesn't have the bulk to not be pushed around yet.

I wont say he is great at anything yet because he needs to show it more but so far he looks like a really good help defender. He has very good instincts and recognition...One play that stood out to me last night was when he was guarding someone on the wing and some Magic player made a move on another Wolf which would have lead to an uncontested baseline drive for a lay up and McDaniels recognized that and ran into the lane to try and block that Magic player. I don't think he ended up getting there in time but that recognition blew me away when I saw it.

Vanderbilt is by far this teams best defender and has earned playing time. Start cutting Culvers minutes, give them to McDaniels and play McDaniels as a "4" when a legitimate need for a small ball line up is needed.

I desperately want to see a line up of

Russell
Beasley
McDaniels
Vanderbilt
KAT

Probably the best mix of offense + defense that this team can field.

Too bad we all know that when Rubio, Layman, Juancho and KAT comeback that McDaniels probably wont see many minutes at all and Vanderbilt's will probably be heavily reduced as well :doublefinger:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm

You are forgetting that ButterCup is a ButterCup. McDaniels in limited minutes has already flashed skills that Culver simply doesn’t have.....a big one being guts.

I don’t want McDaniels getting beat down because yes he is so bony. Garnett was bony as hell and played in a lot tougher version of the NBA. In the case of McDaniels I just want him to keep going and getting minutes he is earning....I hope he makes it impossible for them not to play him.

Unlike Culver who makes it almost impossible to play him out of fear his confidence will again spiral.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:55 am
populousample wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am
If you came up with the S(q)uanders nickname congratulations on the most on the nose name of all time.

That's good stuff.
:thumbsup:
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

I voted for McDaniels but only because I think he is the future not the present. He is too skinny right now and btw KG weighed 217 as a rookie a lot more than the 190ish that Jaden currently is at.

I like the idea of McDaniels at the 3 with spot duty at the 4 until he is stronger.

At this rate as bad as we have been I see us shopping Beasley.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Feed McDaniels more protein. He has been phenomenal for a late pick so far, but will see the rookie wall (and probably not develop his body quickly enough) if we don't set a good amount of minutes and focus on getting more muscle on him.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am McDaniels is not big enough to consistently guard the other teams "4" yet. Certain line ups, sure, but not full time. He needs to gain weight and saying he weighs 200 is generous.

Kid has mad skills but he is best suited to be playing the "3" right now. Don't set him up for failure!
And beat to sh*t trying to guard other legit 4's. But, square peg theory seems to be our MO.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm

He weighs like 190.

I absolutely see the potential of him growing into a PF but right now I don't think matching him up against 220+ pounders every night is a recipe for success. People complained and saw how incompetent Culver looked as a PF, Okogie can't do anything as a PF, etc. Obviously McDaniels is taller and longer but he just doesn't have the bulk to not be pushed around yet.

I wont say he is great at anything yet because he needs to show it more but so far he looks like a really good help defender. He has very good instincts and recognition...One play that stood out to me last night was when he was guarding someone on the wing and some Magic player made a move on another Wolf which would have lead to an uncontested baseline drive for a lay up and McDaniels recognized that and ran into the lane to try and block that Magic player. I don't think he ended up getting there in time but that recognition blew me away when I saw it.

Vanderbilt is by far this teams best defender and has earned playing time. Start cutting Culvers minutes, give them to McDaniels and play McDaniels as a "4" when a legitimate need for a small ball line up is needed.

I desperately want to see a line up of

Russell
Beasley
McDaniels
Vanderbilt
KAT

Probably the best mix of offense + defense that this team can field.

Too bad we all know that when Rubio, Layman, Juancho and KAT comeback that McDaniels probably wont see many minutes at all and Vanderbilt's will probably be heavily reduced as well :doublefinger:
I was enjoying this post until the end. Yeah, forgot about those guys. Rubio gets Jmac's clock, But Layman needs to be cut. He's ass.
Juan? Meh, trade bait.