Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gersson Rosas Interview on Saunder’s future & Power Forward

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Will Saunders Last the Season?

Yes, Wolves will compete & Ryan will last
31%
No, Wolves will lose & Vanterpool will be HC
69%

Total votes: 13

UnFadeable21

Gersson Rosas Interview on Saunder’s future & Power Forward

Post by UnFadeable21 »

By Jonny K Athletic

Overall Record & Team

“There’s a bad taste in our mouths, myself, coach (Ryan Saunders), everyone here in the organization,” Rosas said.

“Anytime you lose your best offensive player and your best defensive player, it’s going to change the way you play,” Rosas said. “We have to find ways to overcome those obstacles and that adversity, because this whole season is going to be about obstacles and adversity, whether it’s on the court, off the court, whether it’s us or other teams, it’s just the reality that we’re going to be faced with.”

“Looking up and down the roster now, we’ve got guys that complement KAT, we’ve got guys that complement DLo,” Rosas said. “And those guys are just going to continue to get better because they’re younger and they’ve got good upside, which gives us an exciting look into the future. But when you’re building it that way, you also have to live through some of the growing pains. That’s where we’re at now.”

As Rosas said several times during the conversation, “the record speaks for itself.” And as many viable reasons as there are for the slow start, there is more determination to get things rolling.

“There’s a very serious urgency and a very major focus on improving and getting better,” Rosas said. “This is not what we planned out to be and we have to do everything within our power to change the course.”

“I have a lot of faith in the group that we have here,” he said. “I believe there’s enough talent in place for us to have success. We just need to work and we gotta make it a reality.”

Ryan Saunders

Saunders has come under fire from fans for the team’s lifeless performances without Towns. The lack of defensive intensity and offensive flow in decisive losses to the Lakers, Clippers, Blazers and Wizards only turned up the heat. But the Wolves are 2-1 with Towns in the lineup and look like a completely different team with his rim protection on defense and his playmaking and magnetism on offense.

“Ryan and his staff are doing everything within their power to help us get to a point where we can be consistent and we’re executing on both ends of the floor,” Rosas said. “His commitment, his passion to the work that’s needed to be done, anybody that’s around this organization that’s here knows how hard he’s working and how he’s committed to it. We all just have to do more. Myself, him, the players, we can do it and we’ve shown flashes of it, but flashes are not going to be enough.”

“We need to be a consistent team that night-in and night-out competes defensively and is productive offensively in order to reach the goals that we have,” Rosas said. “We’re both committed to that to see that come to pass.”

KAT & DLO

“It’s why we worked so hard to acquire D’Angelo. We really feel like they complement each other,” Rosas said. “When they’ve had a chance to play together, you see the evidence of who they can be.”

“These are guys that are still developing and still maturing to become who their best versions are going to be,” Rosas said. “When those guys are 27, 28 and they’re at a stage where they can be at their best is when we need to be at our best. But we believe in the group that’s in place here.”

Power forward

The one glaring hole on the roster at the moment is at the 4. Rosas looked at options both in free agency and trades leading up to the season, but wound up bringing back undersized Juancho Hernangomez, who has struggled in most games to start the season. Jake Layman can play a little small-ball 4, but he is currently out of the rotation. Okogie and Jarrett Culver have both seen time there to varying degrees of success.

The closest thing to a prototype the Wolves have at the position is Vanderbilt, a long-armed, athletic rebounding machine with limited scoring ability.

“The power forward position is probably one of the areas where we have the most questions right now,” Rosas said. “Part of it is there’s some young guys there and we’re trying to get to a good fit. But I wouldn’t be doing my job if we’re not trying to improve and get better and address our needs.”

“I do think us being small in some ways is exposed when you don’t have KAT at the 5,” Rosas said. “With KAT, we can do some creative things. But in situations when KAT’s not there, we do get exposed size-wise if we’re not playing bigger. That has been an early challenge for us.”

Make or Break Season

The injuries do not excuse those lopsided losses last week, Rosas said. Every team is dealing with injuries or COVID-related absences. That’s life in this abnormal season.

“We can’t lose that way. That’s not who we are,” he said. “We have to be a hard-playing, strategic and competitive group, and we’re not there yet right now on a consistent basis. That’s what we’re all striving to become.”

He hears the fans heaping criticism on Saunders, the youngest coach in the league. He also hears the concerns about his roster construction. Perhaps most importantly, he understands the deep-seeded doubt Wolves fans have for an organization that has failed them time and time again. He remains undaunted.

“I love that our fans are starting to have expectations for us. I love that they’re tuned in,” Rosas said. “I’d rather have that than fans that don’t care or it just doesn’t matter to them. That lets us know that they’re paying attention and they’re watching and we’ve got to earn their trust. Bottom line, to be fair to them, we haven’t done enough of what we need to do to make them feel confident in us. That’s our goal.”

“Where we’re at right now is not where we want to be at. Your record is who you are,” Rosas said. “That’s a reality. And we’ve gotta get our record to who we believe we can be. And that takes a lot of work. So until that happens, our focus, our approach is going to remain very urgent, very serious and very determined.”
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Rosas on Saunders - “Flashes are not going to be enough”

Post by UnFadeable21 »

On the recent Jon K Podcast, he stated Ryan’s seat was getting warm with all the blowouts. You can lose to the Lakers and Clippers but all the other blowouts were really bad.

Glen Taylor said he wants to make the playoffs this season.

If the Wolves make the play in games 7-8-9-10 seeds, Ryan will stay. If he doesn’t and will are one of the worst teams in the league like we currently are, he’s gone.

Rosas only signed a 3 year deal. This is year 2 of his contract.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Rosas is right to say what he did....losing KAT hurt us, but starting with Oke at PF to start the year was arguably just as harmful. I understand they need to figure out what they have, but a guy like Vandy could have easily gotten a look last year, and he certainly could have had a role right off the bat given what he's shown. A lot of people hate Saunders, and that's fine...he's not a great coach. However, we cannot win most of are games without our best player. But if we want to shoot ourselves in the foot by starting a 6'5 SG at PF, then yeah, you can go get fucked whoever the coach is. We look like we're at least figuring out what not to do, but there's still more steps to be made before we can say we're moving in the right direction. We are literally the youngest team in the league, we've not had our two pillar players play together but a handful of games, and we are still figuring out the PF spot (though it looks to be improved lately). Saunders needs to be on the hot seat, but one of the wounds we sustained was self inflicted and is inexcusable. I don't think it's a given Saunders will be back next year even if we clip the 8th spot. With Glen toying with selling on and off the past few years, I don't think a playoff birth gives Ryan any longer of a leash.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:54 pm Rosas is right to say what he did....losing KAT hurt us, but starting with Oke at PF to start the year was arguably just as harmful. I understand they need to figure out what they have, but a guy like Vandy could have easily gotten a look last year, and he certainly could have had a role right off the bat given what he's shown. A lot of people hate Saunders, and that's fine...he's not a great coach. However, we cannot win most of are games without our best player. But if we want to shoot ourselves in the foot by starting a 6'5 SG at PF, then yeah, you can go get fucked whoever the coach is. We look like we're at least figuring out what not to do, but there's still more steps to be made before we can say we're moving in the right direction. We are literally the youngest team in the league, we've not had our two pillar players play together but a handful of games, and we are still figuring out the PF spot (though it looks to be improved lately). Saunders needs to be on the hot seat, but one of the wounds we sustained was self inflicted and is inexcusable. I don't think it's a given Saunders will be back next year even if we clip the 8th spot. With Glen toying with selling on and off the past few years, I don't think a playoff birth gives Ryan any longer of a leash.
They have quite a ways to go, but they have shown improvement.

The biggest takeaway is that it’s pretty clear Rosas doesn’t as of this interview believe that he has the necessary starting PF on the roster. The miscalculation by Rosas became amplified by KAT getting hurt. With KAT on the floor they are able to cover a chunk of the deficiencies they have, so Rosas underrated how critical the PF position is. They are going to give Juancho and Vandy the minutes there which is good because they both should get better with more time on the floor. They also both have completely different games, so Rosas should get a better idea what the most critical needs are in any potential PF he may end up trading for.

I think Saunders would be safe if they get a playoff berth, expecting more with the gaping hole in the roster would be scapegoating. I think the moment Rosas believes he has sufficiently addressed the PF position (which I still hope is this season), the clock will be punched for Saunders to produce at a very high level and it should be at that point.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by jodaman01 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:54 pm Rosas is right to say what he did....losing KAT hurt us, but starting with Oke at PF to start the year was arguably just as harmful. I understand they need to figure out what they have, but a guy like Vandy could have easily gotten a look last year, and he certainly could have had a role right off the bat given what he's shown. A lot of people hate Saunders, and that's fine...he's not a great coach. However, we cannot win most of are games without our best player. But if we want to shoot ourselves in the foot by starting a 6'5 SG at PF, then yeah, you can go get fucked whoever the coach is. We look like we're at least figuring out what not to do, but there's still more steps to be made before we can say we're moving in the right direction. We are literally the youngest team in the league, we've not had our two pillar players play together but a handful of games, and we are still figuring out the PF spot (though it looks to be improved lately). Saunders needs to be on the hot seat, but one of the wounds we sustained was self inflicted and is inexcusable. I don't think it's a given Saunders will be back next year even if we clip the 8th spot. With Glen toying with selling on and off the past few years, I don't think a playoff birth gives Ryan any longer of a leash.

The biggest takeaway is that it’s pretty clear Rosas doesn’t as of this interview believe that he has the necessary starting PF on the roster. The miscalculation by Rosas became amplified by KAT getting hurt. With KAT on the floor they are able to cover a chunk of the deficiencies they have, so Rosas underrated how critical the PF position is. They are going to give Juancho and Vandy the minutes there which is good because they both should get better with more time on the floor. They also both have completely different games, so Rosas should get a better idea what the most critical needs are in any potential PF he may end up trading for.

I think Saunders would be safe if they get a playoff birth, expecting more with the gaping hole in the roster would be scapegoating. I think the moment Rosas believes he has sufficiently addressed the PF position (which I still hope is this season), the clock will be punched for Saunders to produce at a very high level and it should be at that point.

"If they get a playoff birth" :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm

I think Saunders would be safe if they get a playoff birth, expecting more with the gaping hole in the roster would be scapegoating. I think the moment Rosas believes he has sufficiently addressed the PF position (which I still hope is this season), the clock will be punched for Saunders to produce at a very high level and it should be at that point.

Trouble with typing long posts, more chances for my mpls public school education to shine.

S/B - playoff berth.

...and I meant to go back and check that one.. ;)
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm

Trouble with typing long posts, more chances for my mpls public school education to shine.

S/B - playoff berth.

...and I meant to go back and check that one.. ;)
I'm not a grammar nazi. I'm laughing because you think this team can make the playoffs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
shoteh

Re: Rosas Interview on Saunders - “Flashes are not going to be enough”

Post by shoteh »

Until they address the PF situation I don't even want to hear excuses for losing. Half of the loss was due to not having a big man which they chose not to address in the off season.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 pm On the recent Jon K Podcast, he stated Ryan’s seat was getting warm with all the blowouts. You can lose to the Lakers and Clippers but all the other blowouts were really bad.

If the Wolves make the play in games 7-8-9-10 seeds, Ryan will stay. If he doesn’t and will are one of the worst teams in the league like we currently are, he’s gone.

Yeah... that’s not going to happen
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 pm On the recent Jon K Podcast, he stated Ryan’s seat was getting warm with all the blowouts. You can lose to the Lakers and Clippers but all the other blowouts were really bad.

Yea, sadly they can't even make a bubble.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

qrocks wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am
Small Hands wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 am

Yea, sadly they can't even make a bubble.
Well, 10 teams in the West make the "Playoffs" if you count the play in, and im sure with Ryan they absolutely would count that.

It will be a nail biter to get there though.
Spoiler:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The biggest area for improvement that needs to be made and can be made is defensive intensity. When Karl came back it was a lot better, including the game he sat. The first 2 games were pretty good, Karl went out and we got absolutely smoked the next six games. That can't happen.

Karl has been the anchor defensively at times. Which is not something you usually say, but he has been a lot better in that department in the small sample size we have had. He has to keep that up.

Rosas needs to pull in a defensive minded and rebounding power forward before the deadline. That's on him.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Unless Vanderbilt is somehow the answer I guess. I like his energy but he seems like the epitome of a backup energy big. We need someone with more talent.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm Unless Vanderbilt is somehow the answer I guess. I like his energy but he seems like the epitome of a backup energy big. We need someone with more talent.
This.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Defensive rebounding is an issue and they are going to drop games because they struggle to hit the glass on that end.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:31 pm Unless Vanderbilt is somehow the answer I guess. I like his energy but he seems like the epitome of a backup energy big. We need someone with more talent.
Yeah, I kindasee him as being in the Corey Brewer vein. The kind of guy you want as a teammate, full of energy and able to change the tone of a game, but not one you'll ever really want to rely on for 30+ minutes per game.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Add 20 more pounds to Vandy and he'd be the ideal PF.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Calling it that Ryan Saunders won't last the season. He's getting fired

He got out coached easily by Taylor Jenkins tonight.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

What coaches are available? He gets out coached every night. This needs to end.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm What coaches are available? He gets out coached every night. This needs to end.
Rosas will elevate Vanterpool

Kenny Atkinson is signed with the Clippers for the year, so is Joeger, so is D’antoni
populousample

Post by populousample »

Stop doing interviews
Stop rationalizing excuses internally or outwardly
Win or lose with an edge
Hold everyone accountable
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 pm
Welp. Time to put the cap on ruining another rookie.
UnFadeable21

Re: Rosas Interview on Saunder’s future & Power Forward

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shoteh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:46 pm Add 20 more pounds to Vandy and he'd be the ideal PF.
well, maybe not in today's game. he doesn't even attempt threes. but yeah, put 20 more pounds on him and he would check a lot of boxes. skinny as he is, he's still one of those guys who just has a natural nose for the ball. juancho gets more rebounds than i'd expect - and i log that up to being a hustler and happening upon them. but if you put vandy and juancho on a low block rebounding drill and launched 100 misses at the rim - i would not be surprised if vandy came up with 80 of them. he's one of those natural rebounders. more weight on him would just amplify this - plus it would give him more of an advantage defending bigs and abusing smaller defenders. but yeah - sign me up - i want vandy with the team longterm as our number 2 PF.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm
They drafted Ant for a pf spot. Yay
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

That was a head scratcher.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Bob Wiley

Re: Gersson Rosas Interview on Saunder’s future & Power Forward

Post by Bob Wiley »

The thing that pisses me off most is that the players fucking pusses out when Towns went down. Have a little pride! Attitude and effort. All the other cliches.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bob Wiley wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 am
That was a head scratcher.
rosas didn't want a nightly reminder around that he didn't need to pay juancho $7M. i think that's it in all honesty. (like we are unable to see juancho's (and layman's) struggles anyway. didn't need the RHJ reminder for that, gerss.)
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Corre Ricky Corre

Re: Gersson Rosas Interview on Saunder’s future & Power Forward

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

So lets put our #1 pick who we are already destroying the confidence of and put him at a position he has never played before just like we did Culver...