Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
witljon

Re: *** Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by witljon »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:26 pm
witljon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 pm I really hope we keep our pick, but it's best to assume we don't get it. That way it'll be Christmas if something good has happened!
On the bright side, we will have our debt paid....
:pissed:
Hey, being diehard fans to the lowly Wolves, we gotta grasp for anything positive we can. :shrug:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:16 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:35 am i am starting to think that if we keep our pick and fall to third and have suggs fall into our laps - that might be the best outcome. he is just a flat out winner and boy do we need someone like that on the team. it was such a blowout yesterday for USC, that it's hard to gauge mobley's performance - but i came away from it just not wanting to add yet another rangy big with noodle legs. he has a load of talent no doubt, but i don't see him being the physical presence that we'd like to pair with KAT - at least not for 3 or 4 years. right now he's simply a pretty skinny 19 year old. and i know we saw a really skinny 19 year old (pokusevski) notch a dubdouble last night against us along with 3 threes and 3 blocks - but he's playing at the SF position where his game is best suited right now. mobley isn't a 3 balling SF, he's a post player - and he's going to have to earn his living in the post. and if we landed number one and had the opportunity to take cade - somebody please tell me that his mental makeup is closer to suggs than it is to KAT and Dlo - because if the latter is the case, i don't want that.
I think we might be like Forest and Bubba. :lol: I wrote this in another post before I saw this.
I doubt he could keep any PF in the NBA out of the post. He can block shots, but true PF's are going to lay him out.
brother from another mother!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Oh good, this one finally got stickied.
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Gonna be hard to stay on top of the lottery odds. Houston and the magic don't seem like they will even put NBA players out on the floor.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

swenjj wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 pm Gonna be hard to stay on top of the lottery odds. Houston and the magic don't seem like they will even put NBA players out on the floor.
We have a five game cushion between us and Orlando with 28 games to go. It could get interesting with Malik and DLO coming back.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 pm
swenjj wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 pm Gonna be hard to stay on top of the lottery odds. Houston and the magic don't seem like they will even put NBA players out on the floor.
We have a five game cushion between us and Orlando with 28 games to go. It could get interesting with Malik and DLO coming back.
If we end up at the 4 spot, we are just going to have to look a little harder for the positives.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

never mind.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

very interested to see OR against arkansas tonight. it's going to be hard to keep kevin obanor off mock draft boards anymore if he continues in his postseason ways (29.5 and 11). OR lost to the razorbacks earlier in the year by 11, but much of that had to do with shutting down OR's top scorer abmas (11 pts). obanor did pretty well in the first matchup - 21 and 10.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

witljon

Post by witljon »

^ Is he any good? ^
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinking waaaaaay ahead of myself here. but...

if we keep our pick and once again land overall #1 - highly unlikely two years running, but it could happen - this would be an entirely different kind of year to have that luck. i think that deal that we tried and failed to make to trade down last year - this year we'd have all sorts of suitors wanting to trade up.

If Cade Cunningham is everyone's consensus #1 - BUT we love what we see from suggs in terms of both skill and leadership - what do you think either houston or detroit (assuming they'd fall 2 and 3) would give us to move up for the certainty of picking Cade? in terms of fit, he'd work well on either team. houston doesn't have any players i would be interested in (pretty sure wood is a core guy that they wouldn't move) - BUT - they have a buttload of firsts coming up. detroit on the other hand has a very interesting PF in jerami grant.

is it possible we could come away from that draft with both suggs and jerami grant?
chris_numbers

Post by chris_numbers »

Somuch.....the wolves will pick 4. How do I know this? Because they are the wolves. I've been a fan since the dome and I can tell you everything they've done has been wrong from day 1.

They gave up a number 1 pick to get rid of a bad contract to take on an equally bad contract. Golden state laughed all the way to bank. I'm sure they asked for 2 1st rounders and that's how it became a top 3 protected this year. Glen taylor needs to trust his gut. If he thinks it's a good idea or the best they cam do then DONT DO IT, do the opposite.
Is it bad that I hate all of you even though I’ve never met you?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

June 22nd is going to be an awful day leading up to the lottery. I will have no focus that day.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 pm June 22nd is going to be an awful day leading up to the lottery. I will have no focus that day.

well this is great news! i had done a search to find when the 2021 lottery and draft were going to be and in THAT search (never trust the fucking interwebs) it was pushed all the way back into Oct and Nov. and i was wondering when the NBA was ever going to get their season back on regular schedule. anyway, this is great. we don't have to wait forever - in fact, just a couple of months!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Mobley vs Suggs tonight
j2j

Post by j2j »

Suggs is the only one of those top 3 who has continued to impress me.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

timme is looking better than mobley tonight. better team, yes - he's got an easier path. but he's a big part of their greatness. mobley is just looking like another guy getting mowed down by the gonzaga machine.
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:56 pm Suggs is the only one of those top 3 who has continued to impress me.
Agree
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Draft Express Prospect Watch

Jalen Suggs | PG | Gonzaga
Top 100 ranking: 5

After a quiet showing in the first three rounds of the NCAA tournament, Suggs had a signature performance in leading Gonzaga to the Final Four, posting a near triple-double with 18 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists.

Suggs showed what makes him such an interesting guard prospect on both ends of the floor. He repeatedly pushed the ball in the open floor, using his outstanding quickness and ability to accelerate powerfully out of changes of speed to get right into the teeth of the defense and either finish aggressively or draw fouls. He was equally as impressive in the half-court, picking apart USC's zone with timely cuts and manipulating ball-screens intelligently to find the open man with pocket passes or with over the top lobs for easy baskets. He played an unselfish and highly under-control game, only being robbed of a triple-double because of good looks he generated that rimmed out.

Just 1-for-11 from beyond the arc in the NCAA tournament, Suggs got on track with his jump shot too. He made a pair of off the dribble 3-pointers and knocked down several pretty floaters and pull-up jumpers.

Suggs was highly disruptive against an overmatched USC backcourt that wasn't prepared for the level of intensity, physical skills and competitiveness that he offers on every possession. He prevented USC from getting into its offense, blowing up plays and being an absolute nuisance on and off the ball as usual.

Suggs reiterated once again how much his serious-minded approach, versatility, toughness and winning style should have any NBA team drafting in the top three thinking long and hard about what he could do to elevate their culture.

-- Givony

Evan Mobley | PF/C | USC
Top 100 ranking: 2

In USC's Elite Eight loss to Gonzaga, Mobley showed both what makes him such an intriguing prospect and the many things he needs to work on. He finished with with 17 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in an up and down showing.

Mobley looked noticeably nervous right out of the gates and was taken into the post repeatedly and scored on by All-American Drew Timme. Mobley didn't have the strength or physicality needed to slow him down. Lacking a degree of toughness and aggressiveness, it's pretty clear that he's going to have some issues early in his career dealing with stronger big men in the NBA. He struggled keeping Gonzaga off the offensive glass (three defensive rebounds in 35 minutes) like he has for much of the season. Still, his huge standing reach and incredible fluidity allows him to have a huge impact on the defensive end of the floor. He's extremely difficult to shoot over, can cover ground seamlessly on the perimeter, and has phenomenal timing protecting the rim.

Mobley isn't a go-to guy offensively at this stage of his career, certainly not against a defense of this caliber. He was unable to consistently use his superior size to score with his back to the basket against the likes of Timme and the smaller Corey Kispert, coming up empty on several possessions. He did show his very high skill level from the mid and high post with some impressive drives and passes, spinning around with excellent body control and touch, and using both hands to finish from difficult vantage points. His mobility allows him to be an excellent target slipping screens and finishing above the rim or gravitating to the offensive glass for extra possessions as well.

This wasn't Mobley's best outing by any means, but he's built a very strong résumé for himself with the season he had and the fact that he was able to help USC reach the Elite Eight is a huge feather in his cap. He's well positioned to be a top draft pick depending on how the order of the lottery shakes out.

-- Jonathan Givony

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If Wolves end up with number five and lose the pick.

How's about this trade

GS gets
KAT
Nowell

Minn gets
Oubre
Wiseman
#5 pick
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am If Wolves end up with number five and lose the pick.

How's about this trade

GS gets
KAT
Nowell

Minn gets
Oubre
Wiseman
#5 pick
If we lose our pick, I'd be fine with moving KAT. I think 🐜 is a better building block. If not, I'd consider it, but the need would be less significant.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, if it goes like that and we don't keep our pick, i know who i'm calling 2 seconds after the draft is complete and offering a UDFA contract. drew timme. with his skills and smarts and size, he'd be seeing regular minutes at the PF slot. he's one of those guys who is just a "basketball player" who knows how to affect the game in a positive way.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

This might be my first post in the draft thread. That's saying something.

Here's another thing to say. We have no picks.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wolves need to draft Suggs and trade Rubio

Suggs
DLo
Ant
McDaniels
KAT
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

to do that we'll have to finish bottom three. i'm warming to this idea of trading KAT to get the pick back - plus wiseman and oubre. however, it's kind of a catch 22 - because if we keep the pick, we have a good chance of getting him - but if we don't land top three and lose the pick to GSW, a trade with them won't bring suggs to us anyway because he'll probably be gone in the first three to some other team. what's kuminga do for ya?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm to do that we'll have to finish bottom three. i'm warming to this idea of trading KAT to get the pick back - plus wiseman and oubre. however, it's kind of a catch 22 - because if we keep the pick, we have a good chance of getting him - but if we don't land top three and lose the pick to GSW, a trade with them won't bring suggs to us anyway because he'll probably be gone in the first three to some other team. what's kuminga do for ya?
Oubre is a free agent after this season, so you'd have to find another way.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm to do that we'll have to finish bottom three. i'm warming to this idea of trading KAT to get the pick back - plus wiseman and oubre. however, it's kind of a catch 22 - because if we keep the pick, we have a good chance of getting him - but if we don't land top three and lose the pick to GSW, a trade with them won't bring suggs to us anyway because he'll probably be gone in the first three to some other team. what's kuminga do for ya?
Oubre is a free agent after this season, so you'd have to find another way.
Sadly, it would have to be Green, and I'd guess a third team to be involved. A deal could be done after the draft however, once the rook is signed and Oubre resigned on a multi year deal. Not the same as Dlo, but similar.....we'd simply have to wait.