Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
twolves31

Re: *** Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread ***

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:44 pm so of course my wheels are already turning.

say we keep our pick, but it falls at 2 or 3. so it won't be cade. either mobley or suggs or maybe green. orlando, who is somewhat in a rebuild - owns both the 4th and the 10th picks. they dial us up and offer jonathan isaac and their 10th - plus their 34th pick in this draft - for that #2 or #3 of ours (and probably rubio to make the money work). they wind up with 2 of the top 4 picks for their rebuild in a strong draft. we wind up with our defensive ace starting PF and maybe a sharpshooter like corey kispert at #10 or perhaps PG animal Davion Mitchell (to replace Rubio) - plus BPA at #34.

would you do it? or is isaac's health too iffy? would orlando do it? isaac seems to be a big piece for them... but... considering his health and their rebuild and the chance to snag two of the top four picks in a loaded draft? they might even like it for the rubio toss-in - they have two young PGs in fultz and anthony - both who could use some mentoring.

isaac btw, if he remains healthy and as effective as we've seen him be, is signed to a reasonable $17.4M/yr deal thru the 2024-25 season. if he can stay on his feet, that's a long term solution to our PF issues. that 53 point game that tatum dropped on us the other night - probably wouldn't be happening with isaac here.
If Issac's stays healthy and his 2019-2020 stats are the minimum you could expect from him going forward , he would be an excellent fit for us. If the steals drop back down and the 47% shooting regresses closer to the 43% area its not good enough for me to give up the 2 or 3 pick for him. I really do like Issac...but That injury history!

08/02/2020 Knee
01/01/2020 Knee
12/18/2019 Hamstring/Back
11/15/2019 Right Ankle
04/09/2019 Concussion
11/02/2018 Right Ankle Sprain
04/02/2018 Sore Left Ankle
03/21/2018 Strained Left Foot
12/27/2017 Sore Ankle
12/20/2017 Ankle
11/12/2017 Sore Ankle
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

twolves31 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:44 pm so of course my wheels are already turning.

say we keep our pick, but it falls at 2 or 3. so it won't be cade. either mobley or suggs or maybe green. orlando, who is somewhat in a rebuild - owns both the 4th and the 10th picks. they dial us up and offer jonathan isaac and their 10th - plus their 34th pick in this draft - for that #2 or #3 of ours (and probably rubio to make the money work). they wind up with 2 of the top 4 picks for their rebuild in a strong draft. we wind up with our defensive ace starting PF and maybe a sharpshooter like corey kispert at #10 or perhaps PG animal Davion Mitchell (to replace Rubio) - plus BPA at #34.

would you do it? or is isaac's health too iffy? would orlando do it? isaac seems to be a big piece for them... but... considering his health and their rebuild and the chance to snag two of the top four picks in a loaded draft? they might even like it for the rubio toss-in - they have two young PGs in fultz and anthony - both who could use some mentoring.

isaac btw, if he remains healthy and as effective as we've seen him be, is signed to a reasonable $17.4M/yr deal thru the 2024-25 season. if he can stay on his feet, that's a long term solution to our PF issues. that 53 point game that tatum dropped on us the other night - probably wouldn't be happening with isaac here.
If Issac's stays healthy and his 2019-2020 stats are the minimum you could expect from him going forward , he would be an excellent fit for us. If the steals drop back down and the 47% shooting regresses closer to the 43% area its not good enough for me to give up the 2 or 3 pick for him. I really do like Issac...but That injury history!

08/02/2020 Knee
01/01/2020 Knee
11/15/2019 Right Ankle
04/09/2019 Concussion
12/27/2017 Sore Ankle
12/20/2017 Ankle
11/12/2017 Sore Ankle
i hear ya. his fit is nearly perfect and it seems like he's coming into his own as a player - but that injury history! i know injuries can happen at any time to anyone - but i do think some bodies are just more apt to have problems. he might be in that camp. i remember when he had this last injury, i was speculating that he might just call it quits and retire - he's big into ministry, and i could see him using his nba wealth to form a little church somewhere and just doing that. i guess we'll see what the future holds for him. quick question: do you think this idea would appeal to the magic or do they see him as a core piece?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I'd rather gamble on McDaniels then moving for Isaacs. I think both have a very high ceiling, but Isaacs has been a glass man for his career so far. On a team where KAT has missed a ton of time, adding a swing/big to put next to him that has missed as much or more time is cringeworthy. I hate speculating until the lotto. If we keep our pick, there's so many options. If we don't, we have to choose from limited options, one of which is staying put and seeing how we pan out if we can stay healthy. Again, all roads talk about health, and Isaacs doesn't walk that road. He's a great talent, but I do think Jaden can be as good or better at this point, talent wise, but also, he's not fragile thus far.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm
twolves31 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm

08/02/2020 Knee
01/01/2020 Knee
11/15/2019 Right Ankle
04/09/2019 Concussion
12/27/2017 Sore Ankle
12/20/2017 Ankle
11/12/2017 Sore Ankle
i hear ya. his fit is nearly perfect and it seems like he's coming into his own as a player - but that injury history! i know injuries can happen at any time to anyone - but i do think some bodies are just more apt to have problems. he might be in that camp. i remember when he had this last injury, i was speculating that he might just call it quits and retire - he's big into ministry, and i could see him using his nba wealth to form a little church somewhere and just doing that. i guess we'll see what the future holds for him. quick question: do you think this idea would appeal to the magic or do they see him as a core piece?
If they scored the top four pick and got that from Bulls, I think the Magic would be open to it. I think he's part of their future plans, but because of his health, if the Bulls magically give up that pick, I think they'd listen to offers. I just couldn't pay much for him because his body is scary.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 pm I'd rather gamble on McDaniels then moving for Isaacs. I think both have a very high ceiling, but Isaacs has been a glass man for his career so far. On a team where KAT has missed a ton of time, adding a swing/big to put next to him that has missed as much or more time is cringeworthy. I hate speculating until the lotto. If we keep our pick, there's so many options. If we don't, we have to choose from limited options, one of which is staying put and seeing how we pan out if we can stay healthy. Again, all roads talk about health, and Isaacs doesn't walk that road. He's a great talent, but I do think Jaden can be as good or better at this point, talent wise, but also, he's not fragile thus far.
i like jaden a lot too - great find deep in the first. but i don't think he's physically ready to go 82 nba games as our starting 4. in fact, if he does, start looking for his body to break down. i get REALLY excited about a situation where we have a guy of isaac's defensive caliber at the 4 (but probably not isaacs for reasons stated) and mcdaniels settles in long term as our 3. i think he could full seasons at SF right now. but not PF. so the timeline again gets skewed. where are we in 2 or 3 years with KAT and Dlo, when mcdaniels has maybe bulked up enough to be a legit 4? it would be great to put guys in place RIGHT NOW who can excel at their spots.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 pm I'd rather gamble on McDaniels then moving for Isaacs. I think both have a very high ceiling, but Isaacs has been a glass man for his career so far. On a team where KAT has missed a ton of time, adding a swing/big to put next to him that has missed as much or more time is cringeworthy. I hate speculating until the lotto. If we keep our pick, there's so many options. If we don't, we have to choose from limited options, one of which is staying put and seeing how we pan out if we can stay healthy. Again, all roads talk about health, and Isaacs doesn't walk that road. He's a great talent, but I do think Jaden can be as good or better at this point, talent wise, but also, he's not fragile thus far.
i like jaden a lot too - great find deep in the first. but i don't think he's physically ready to go 82 nba games as our starting 4. in fact, if he does, start looking for his body to break down. i get REALLY excited about a situation where we have a guy of isaac's defensive caliber at the 4 (but probably not isaacs for reasons stated) and mcdaniels settles in long term as our 3. i think he could full seasons at SF right now. but not PF. so the timeline again gets skewed. where are we in 2 or 3 years with KAT and Dlo, when mcdaniels has maybe bulked up enough to be a legit 4? it would be great to put guys in place RIGHT NOW who can excel at their spots.
See..I see it the other way around. I didn't think Jaden could even play this year because he was so small....and he's out performed. I don't expect 20 lbs of muscle by next season, but I think he's going to be the player Isaacs could be if he were to stay healthy, but that's just me.
Palmeirense

Post by Palmeirense »

I wouldn't make the trade for Isaac because of the injuries but just imagining him at the 4 and Jaden at the 3 makes it extremely tempting.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 pm
See..I see it the other way around. I didn't think Jaden could even play this year because he was so small....and he's out performed. I don't expect 20 lbs of muscle by next season, but I think he's going to be the player Isaacs could be if he were to stay healthy, but that's just me.
he's not anywhere in the ballpark sizewise with isaacs. jaden is 6-9 barely pushing 200 pounds - isaac is 6-11 230. i think you can perform well moving up a weight class as they say for only a short while. and we saw that - he performed well. a full 82 game season i would expect to see his performance and energy drop off badly as the season wore on. he's giving up 25 to 50 pounds per night against the opponent's PFs. i would love to see him defensively dominate 3s.
witljon

Post by witljon »

If we were to finish with the 4th worst record our chances of getting a top 3 pick ain’t much different than if we finish with the worst record.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kinda wish we had a pick in the 30s to mid 40s to select kofi cockburn (7-0 285) - if only to have a massive dude to commit 6 hard fouls on embiid every time we played. tired of embiid dominating often thru sheer physical mass.
Style

Post by Style »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 pm kinda wish we had a pick in the 30s to mid 40s to select kofi cockburn (7-0 285) - if only to have a massive dude to commit 6 hard fouls on embiid every time we played. tired of embiid dominating often thru sheer physical mass.
Yes. This team needs a really big guy in Ed Davis’ roster spot.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Style wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 pm kinda wish we had a pick in the 30s to mid 40s to select kofi cockburn (7-0 285) - if only to have a massive dude to commit 6 hard fouls on embiid every time we played. tired of embiid dominating often thru sheer physical mass.
Yes. This team needs a really big guy in Ed Davis’ roster spot.
i keep hearing about how the league is smaller, but when we play the sixers it's like watching a godzilla movie. karl had a fantastic game against embiid last time - but it's not often played out that way, and even with karl's big game we lost by 11. we had ed on the team this year seemingly for no purpose because as it wore on, he just never played. at least with a guy like cockburn, you'd have specific times that you knew you could use him - against the really big dudes in the game that we currently have no physical match for.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if we keep our pick this year, but it falls to number two or three - and we take mobley, that will become our step towards pairing KAT with another starting big. BUT if we keep the pick and take either suggs or cunningham - OR if we lose our pick and get nothing, is there a way to add a starting 4 next year in FA (theis) or in a trade?

was just looking at the cavs roster again and i think nance jr could still be a possibility from both ours and the cavs POV. IF they can't deal love, they still have him on contract for two more years and at $30M+/yr, they will play him with major PT. okoro has been getting more and more PT at both the 3 and 4 - he seems to very much be in their future plans. jarrett allen will be their center. tauren prince remains an option as a tweener forward - he had 25 the other night on 6 of 8 from three. and latest pickup isaiah hartenstein further strengthens that big rotation because he's been playing well. which means maybe larry is more expendable than he's been in the past. OTOH, their bench scoring has suffered with the loss of porter jr thru his antics and also thru the meh development of dylan windler, who they thought would bring an ace deep ball to their bench - but thru injuries or whatever, he hasn't shown much yet. they could likely be eyeing a shooter like beasley with greedy eyes.

if we lose our pick, losing beasley is tougher because he does serve a scoring purpose - but if we land either suggs or cade, keeping him only further logjams our backcourt. suggs or cade, Dlo, rubio, Ant, beasley, okogie, culver, nowell - it doesn't make sense to carry all that - especially seeing as we'll probably also be playing mcdaniels at the 3 as well.

a beasley for nance jr trade works moneywise - and balances out our roster with a legit starting 4 (still only 28) whose game is really complementary to nearly any kind of roster - plus who plays D. he'd also be a nice bridge as a very solid PF holding the place till (if or when) mcdaniels muscles up enough to assume that spot. i think it's a fair deal too - both to me are same level tier players. good at what they do, but not without faults.

rubio/nowell
Dlo/okogie/culver
Ant/mcdaniels/layman
nance jr/juancho/vandy
KAT/naz

or

suggs/rubio/culver
Dlo/nowell/okogie
Ant/Mcdaniels/layman
nance/juancho/vandy
KAT/naz

or

Dlo/rubio/culver
Ant/nowell/okogie
Cade/mcdaniels/layman
nance jr/juancho/vandy
KAT/naz
kindman

Post by kindman »

I like any of those possibilities but we still need a giant for the bench. Just some serious beef for matchups.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

kindman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:14 pm I like any of those possibilities but we still need a giant for the bench. Just some serious beef for matchups.
culver to some team for a second rounder. take kofi cockburn (7-0 285 7-6 wingspan) or ibou dianka badji (7-1 240 7-10 wingspan). boom.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

KAT just went down against the Clippers. They now have a built in excuse to sit him the rest of the season. Tankathon is now on. I don't expect KAT to play the rest of the season.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Jalen Suggs announces he’s turning pro and not staying at Gonzaga with Chet
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Suggs made the announcement Monday afternoon on The Jump from his Minneapolis home.

Suggs, a 6-foot-4 point guard, led Gonzaga to a sensational season as the Bulldogs went undefeated until losing to Baylor in the national championship game. Suggs had a historic performance in an overtime Final Four victory over UCLA, including a buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of regulation.

Suggs, 19, is considered a franchise-leading point guard and expected to be among the top three picks in the June NBA draft along with Oklahoma State forward Cade Cunningham and USC center Evan Mobley.

Suggs averaged 14.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals for Gonzaga in less than 30 minutes a game. He was voted a consensus second-team All-American.

ESPN NBA draft analyst Mike Schmitz describes Suggs as a "powerful athlete" with "great body control," and a "downhill driver who can change speeds ... active cutter who can play on or off the ball" and a "mature decision-maker ... poised pick and roll passer who uses both sides of the floor."

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The Wolves still with a 3.5 game lead over falling out of the bottom 3.
Let's get Tropical
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

opinions please - oh college ball watchers on UNC's Day'ron Sharpe. i am wondering if he's going first round or is someone that we could pick up in a trade for a second rounder.

not a perfect prospect by any stretch. no outside jumper, not a high level vertical athlete, bad from the stripe. but the good is very intriguing. 6-10 265 - listed as a PF/C - ultra strong and muscled with weight to hold ground.

interior player with a super high motor and a terror on the glass. mobile enough to be a very good PnR defender - one assessment labeled his ability there as "elite". also called his hands "elite". extremely high level bbiq and decision making with the ball in his hands - can both put it on the floor, but better yet, is really quick in his decision making to find the right guy to pass to. great passer.

if he lasts till the second round, he'd be an interesting guy to trade a player for to get that pick. which player? culver obviously comes to mind. okogie maybe, although we've seen more on court value from him of late. layman, of course. maybe vandy - because a guy like sharpe replicates a lot of what vandy does - great rebounding, great motor - but also adds some dimensions vandy (and our bigs in general) lack - namely the strength to oppose the bigger bigs of the league. also, because of his mobility and ability to cover bigs on the perimeter and in PnR, he could share the court with KAT.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I love cockburn. Is he really projected to go that late? He pushed Robbins around and would be the big body the Wolves desperately need.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:21 am
I love cockburn. Is he really projected to go that late? He pushed Robbins around and would be the big body the Wolves desperately need.
some sites have him going undrafted because he's such a throwback. (i don't know ... watching him sprint downcourt full speed is somewhat a scary thing of wonder.) but i've seen other sites having him go late first - i think around 27th. i would love to move culver to some team for a pick - not sure what kind we could get for him, if any. it might have to be for a team with either an immediate need (who?) or a team who has a ton of picks and they don't want to bring that many rookies in. but yeah - if we could exchange culver for a pick to get either cockburn or sharpe (another throwback big dude, but maybe more skilled than kofi) that would be ideal. i look at this roster and one of the things we need is more strength - or at least one big dude whose game is stength/power - who could get strategic minutes when we need that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

question for the contract knowledgeable. can you trade for the contracts of inactive (basically retired) players who teams are still paying salary to - or are they off limits? i see that both mozgov and noah are still paid thru next season - in the vicinity of both culver and juancho's money. it would be interesting to move one of those guys (especially culver) if it meant getting a draft pick thrown in as well. new york has three picks in the upcoming draft - a lottery pick, a 21st and then an early second rounder. even with the second rounder, it might be high enough to get a good prospect - especially the physically bruising big that we need. does that appeal to a NY team led by a rookie averse Thibs, who surely wouldn't want 3 incoming young guys - but who instead could turn that into a rotational guy (juancho) or an untapped potential vet entering his third year (culver) plus lose the non-playing dead weight of the noah contract?

from my POV, i don't see culver having any future here anymore - and if we can turn him into ANYTHING of need for us, it's a plus. if we could turn culver into dayron sharpe or kofi cockburn, i'd consider that a big win.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:30 pm question for the contract knowledgeable. can you trade for the contracts of inactive (basically retired) players who teams are still paying salary to - or are they off limits? i see that both mozgov and noah are still paid thru next season - in the vicinity of both culver and juancho's money. it would be interesting to move one of those guys (especially culver) if it meant getting a draft pick thrown in as well. new york has three picks in the upcoming draft - a lottery pick, a 21st and then an early second rounder. even with the second rounder, it might be high enough to get a good prospect - especially the physically bruising big that we need. does that appeal to a NY team led by a rookie averse Thibs, who surely wouldn't want 3 incoming young guys - but who instead could turn that into a rotational guy (juancho) or an untapped potential vet entering his third year (culver) plus lose the non-playing dead weight of the noah contract?

from my POV, i don't see culver having any future here anymore - and if we can turn him into ANYTHING of need for us, it's a plus. if we could turn culver into dayron sharpe or kofi cockburn, i'd consider that a big win.
Noah and Mozgov were stretched, weren't they? If they were, then they would've been waived and would currently be untradeable.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:30 pm question for the contract knowledgeable. can you trade for the contracts of inactive (basically retired) players who teams are still paying salary to - or are they off limits? i see that both mozgov and noah are still paid thru next season - in the vicinity of both culver and juancho's money. it would be interesting to move one of those guys (especially culver) if it meant getting a draft pick thrown in as well. new york has three picks in the upcoming draft - a lottery pick, a 21st and then an early second rounder. even with the second rounder, it might be high enough to get a good prospect - especially the physically bruising big that we need. does that appeal to a NY team led by a rookie averse Thibs, who surely wouldn't want 3 incoming young guys - but who instead could turn that into a rotational guy (juancho) or an untapped potential vet entering his third year (culver) plus lose the non-playing dead weight of the noah contract?

Noah and Mozgov were stretched, weren't they? If they were, then they would've been waived and would currently be untradeable.
that was indeed my question - so thanks for answering. i was just perusing the NBA salaries out there in the juancho/culver range and those two popped up as still being on payroll. i didn't know if another team could assume a portion of the "stretch" in a trade.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Aha! i think i've found a way to get us back into the draft!

the knicks have FOUR picks in this draft (18, 21, 32 and 57) and there is no way in HELL that thibs wants that many rookies on the team. trades will be made.

we offer him okogie for the 32. josh has been playing better of late - and he's a thibs guy! thibs was the coach when he was selected, plus he's that hard defensive energy scrapper that thibs loves. you KNOW he would value okogie more than yet another rookie draft pick. on our end, with the addition of mcdaniels - our D has ticked upward - and if we get a top three this year, ANY three of those (cade, mobley, suggs) are all expected to be good to great defenders as well. plus bolmaro's calling card is great D. our team D should trend up with these additions plus with the guidance of finch - it lessens the loss of okogie's D. and with a 32nd pick, there's a good chance we could land one of those powerhouse big centers that we need (sharpe or cockburn).

i would rather lose culver than okogie - but i don't think culver has nearly the appeal for thibs. plus, when i would have to choose between keeping okogie vs. adding a strong center - i'll roll the dice with culver off the bench and go with the center.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Is there any similar bust like Culver that a team might want to just swap? Just an example, not an idea, but like Knox or something?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:32 pm Is there any similar bust like Culver that a team might want to just swap? Just an example, not an idea, but like Knox or something?
i was speculating before the deadline that a deal could be made with orlando - bamba for culver - for just those reasons. but it looks like they've doubled down on bamba having a future with them, seeing as they not only traded vucevic but also waived khem birch. not sure if i'd want knox. much rather see if we could simply get a second rounder for culver and just roll the dice on that. at this point, i am considering him lost money - so any sort of asset would be better than watching him ride the bench and use up cap space. but... i will say... i think an okogie for that NY 32nd pick might have merit - especially seeing as thibs is on the other end.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Here are the draft position odds as of April 28.

Disregarding draft position, where does your gut tell you the top players end up? Here's what my crystal ball says:

Houston - Even Mobley
Orlando - Jalen Suggs
Minnesota (to Warriors) - Jonathan Kuminga
Detroit - Jalen Green
Oklahoma City - Cade Cunningham
Cleveland - Scottie Barnes
Sacramento - Jalen Johnson
Toronto - Corey Kispert
Chicago - Keon Johnson
Washington - Alperen Şengün
New Orleans - Jaden Springer
Indiana - Franz Wagner