Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Favorite Wolves Bust You Thought Would Be Good

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
YBBR

Re: Favorite Wolves Bust You Thought Would Be Good

Post by YBBR »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:04 am
YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:02 am I will remember that Wes Johnson dunk in the first quarter of his first game that was just vicious. Can't remember if it was his first two points or not. Excited for the possibilities that maybe this guy can do a few things! 20 games later.... Wes Johnson sucks. I felt like I was off that dude's bandwagon quicker that maybe any Wolves draft pick.
The one against the Kings?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
This is the one. Great dunk. Wes Johnson at his proverbial zenith here.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:44 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:18 pm

You don't watch a lot of NBA games outside of the Wolves, do you?

I know this isn't directed at me, but is something wrong with that? I don't watch any other games other than Wolves games. I don't really care about about the NBA, I only care about the Wolves.

I am sure there are many who only follow the Wolves and not the league, at least not actively.
Nothings wrong with it. I don’t watch much non-wolves anymore, but I did ten years ago.

In the context of the conversation I’m having about darko, it’s relevant. If you watched him at all in his career, you’d know what he was. If you didn’t, sure, you saw a legit 7-1 athletic big man and could be excited. If you watched that person actually play basketball, you knew better than to be happy.

So there’s nothing wrong at all about not watching the rest of the league. It just impedes your ability to have informed opinions about the rest of the players across said league.
Which is why I just go with the consensus on WC regarding any player, unless one person in particular makes an amazing argument. Remember how we ALL rated Oceanery's analysis? We were fools to ever trust Canis Hoopus!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:04 am
YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:02 am I will remember that Wes Johnson dunk in the first quarter of his first game that was just vicious. Can't remember if it was his first two points or not. Excited for the possibilities that maybe this guy can do a few things! 20 games later.... Wes Johnson sucks. I felt like I was off that dude's bandwagon quicker that maybe any Wolves draft pick.
The one against the Kings?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
This is the one. Great dunk. Wes Johnson at his proverbial zenith here.
Peaked early he did.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:46 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pm

I know this isn't directed at me, but is something wrong with that? I don't watch any other games other than Wolves games. I don't really care about about the NBA, I only care about the Wolves.

I am sure there are many who only follow the Wolves and not the league, at least not actively.
Nothings wrong with it. I don’t watch much non-wolves anymore, but I did ten years ago.

In the context of the conversation I’m having about darko, it’s relevant. If you watched him at all in his career, you’d know what he was. If you didn’t, sure, you saw a legit 7-1 athletic big man and could be excited. If you watched that person actually play basketball, you knew better than to be happy.

So there’s nothing wrong at all about not watching the rest of the league. It just impedes your ability to have informed opinions about the rest of the players across said league.
Which is why I just go with the consensus on WC regarding any player, unless one person in particular makes an amazing argument. Remember how we ALL rated Oceanery's analysis? We were fools to ever trust Canis Hoopus!
I was never quite on the Canis Hoopus train like others were. Great place for info/speculation, but it was very "wolves-colored glasses" in my opinion.

I think the Darko piece may have been the only Oceanary article I ever read. I don't see why I should read another after reading that one.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:56 pm

I was never quite on the Canis Hoopus train like others were. Great place for info/speculation, but it was very "wolves-colored glasses" in my opinion.

I think the Darko piece may have been the only Oceanary article I ever read. I don't see why I should read another after reading that one.
It was is David Kahn had written it.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Anyway, back on track.

While I would have never in a million years traded Cassell and a 1st for Marko Jaric, I did think that Jaric was going to be a pretty good player. I thought he could score a little, facilitate very well, and guard three positions.

That wasn't right.

- Isaac Asimov
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:42 pm McCants skill wise was actually pretty damn good, but again, 10 cent head might be generous in Rashad's case.
yeah I fell for McCants as well. I thought we were gonna be getting our version of the next Tmac here, instead we got Jr. Rider Jr.
Style

Post by Style »

What a sad list. All types of positions and personalities come here to kill their careers.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Stork311 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:02 pm Mike Miller. Never a more frustrating player. A shooter who simply refused to shoot. Maddening.
Yes, odd, so damn frustrating...
j2j

Post by j2j »

That season and the next with Washington were legit his lowest 3pt attempts per 36.

Under the radar pick for the Wolves... Steph Marbury. Thought we had something great, then he said deuces.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Interesting topic... I don't see Wiggins as a bust otherwise he'd probably be it.

Mike Miller is a good selection... everyone had high hopes for him coming in thinking he was ready to be the #2 guy behind Big Al.

Just looking at the draft alone.... if you consider Laettner a bust (he might be in the Wiggins camp though), he'd be up there... William Avery, had big time hopes from him out of Duke... huge bust. Derrick Williams of course.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hmmmmm...

I’d have to say Felton Spencer
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

in terms of second round picks - i thought we absolutely got SOTDs in bracey wright, chris richard and keita bates-diop. still might be more to write in the bates-diop book, but boy was i wrong about wright and richards.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Was the Dorko article the one where Oceanary killed it? Or was that for another one?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Was the Dorko article the one where Oceanary killed it? Or was that for another one?
That’s the one.

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:18 pm

That’s the one.
Figured.

He was so influential with that article that he inspired a rube to DVR all of DOrko's games :lol:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:24 pm

That’s the one.
Figured.

He was so influential with that article that he inspired a rube to DVR all of DOrko's games :lol:
“The Darko Dimension”

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

That’s the one.
If you're on twitter and miss Oceanary.... he's got some takes on here:

https://twitter.com/Phantele_?s=20
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 pm

That’s the one.
If you're on twitter and miss Oceanary.... he's got some takes on here:

https://twitter.com/Phantele_?s=20
Thanks, but no thanks.

- Isaac Asimov
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I'm going Wiggins. At the time I thought we jobbed Clev and stole a GREAT player for KL considering he was out. Looked at all his HL films and knew he would excel. Bust. Did anyone notice he NEVER broke a sweat. I thought that was odd, but then I seen he didn't really give a F.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Draft pick: Derrick Williams

Trade: Mike Miller

Free agent signing: Mike James
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

McCants for sure.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

D_H wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 pm Hmmmmm...

I’d have to say Felton Spencer
This one's interesting. Was he supposed to be good? Was he bad? He was who I thought he was, but that was a young Rusty

Felton was the Wolves player that went to a Badketball camp in Bloomington when I was 10 or so. I thought it was the coolest thing ever meeting him :beer:
Last edited by Rusty Kuntz on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

And no other love for Loren Woods!? I thought he'd get a couple votes :beer:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:20 pm in terms of second round picks - i thought we absolutely got SOTDs in bracey wright, chris richard and keita bates-diop. still might be more to write in the bates-diop book, but boy was i wrong about wright and richards.
Chris Richard for me too. I can't really call a 2nd rounder a bust, but more of a "thought we got a steal and didn't" for me.

- Isaac Asimov
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

I really hope Naz doesn't fall on this list, because I've got high hopes for him :beer:
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm And no other love for Loren Woods!? I thought he'd get a couple votes :beer:
I thought he was a steal when we got him in the 2nd round. He was consistently projected as a lottery pick.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 pm I really hope Naz doesn't fall on this list, because I've got high hopes for him :beer:
he won't. i think there should be a rule that any undrafted guys playing in the league can never be thought of as busts.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

oh god, just thought of one. really really loved the idea of this player and man, did it ever not work out. again, this is someone who technically can't be thought of as a bust for us - because we got him nearly already washed up (former first rounder), but god did he have potential. eddie griffin. RIP. and there were flashes to be seen when he was with us - you could see the talent.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm And no other love for Loren Woods!? I thought he'd get a couple votes :beer:
I thought he was a steal when we got him in the 2nd round. He was consistently projected as a lottery pick.
Didn't he have a Rick Rickert thing? Like he was a projected lotto pick and went back to school for another year and fell out of the first round?

- Isaac Asimov