Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Jaden McDaniels Chat***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
kilkenny

***Official Jaden McDaniels Chat***

Post by kilkenny »

Maybe it was an oversight, but we don't have a welcome or chat about this guy. Some positivity....

Coming out of high school he was ranked #7 in the country, while Edwards was ranked #4. See here for class of 2019 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... class/2019

Yay?
Philo Beddoe

Re: ***Official Jaden McDaniels Chat***

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Didnt he get benched in college?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Do we have another Sad Dog Anthony Randolph on our hands?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... ng-season/
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

In February, they were talking this kid being a top 10 pick.

In November the Wolves got him at #25.

I think he is not going to sniff the NBA this year.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

He played through an ankle injury that happened on 1/11 that apparently affected his game the rest of the way.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Would be great to see him get some run in the g-league. He's intriguing, needs to fill out his frame but plenty of upside there. Definitely a swing for the fences pick.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:09 am In February, they were talking this kid being a top 10 pick.

In November the Wolves got him at #25.

I think he is not going to sniff the NBA this year.
I'd coach the kid hard. If he responds, he's got a future, if not, he's one of hundreds who didn't have what it takes above the shoulders to be in the league.
Ketchup can be nuancy
j2j

Post by j2j »

They’re puzzled by his shot selection, his difficult-to-decipher body language, his Pac-12 leading 72 turnovers, his league-leading 72 personal fouls and those head-scratching five technical fouls that also lead the conference.
That part is fun.

Interesting the #7 prospect stayed home instead of going to Kentucky. Would he have been better under Cal?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

j2j wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:18 am
They’re puzzled by his shot selection, his difficult-to-decipher body language, his Pac-12 leading 72 turnovers, his league-leading 72 personal fouls and those head-scratching five technical fouls that also lead the conference.
That part is fun.

Interesting the #7 prospect stayed home instead of going to Kentucky. Would he have been better under Cal?
The Huskies send players to the NBA every year. I bet the booster checking account is in fine shape.
Ketchup can be nuancy
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

He likes to play on the perimeter, so will he be a big that excels on the perimeter, or a big that tries to play outside and everyone gets frustrated with?
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

scrawny bull in a china shop
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am
j2j wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:18 am
That part is fun.

The Huskies send players to the NBA every year. I bet the booster checking account is in fine shape.
They did have one other this year. Not saying they're bad, but they're not Kentucky.

15-17 12th in the PAC-12 vs 25-6 1st in the SEC with 5 other NBA players. Maybe it cleans up his issues.

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Jaden McDaniels is a solid pick for Minnesota Timberwolves

He’s 6’10 with a 7ft wingspan. He was 7th rated prospect out of high school & number 1 rated power forward. He looks like Jonathan Isaac, a Wolves fan favorite. He will need to put on weight but it’s a high reward pick.

I would probably use this year as his redshirt year in the pros. He’s only 200lbs and needs a full year weight training to add the necessary bulk and strength to play in the pros.

He also needs to learn how to play in a team setting. Last year in Washington, he was trying to do too much which is why he failed. He needs to learn and play a role.

Him and Nowell should both be in the G league all season and win the G league title for the Iowa Wolves.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
j2j

Post by j2j »

His shot selection looks pretty terrible in most of what I've watched. If he can improve that, his decision making, plus add some strength, and not keep acting like a clown he might be decent.

Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 am Maybe it was an oversight, but we don't have a welcome or chat about this guy. Some positivity....

Coming out of high school he was ranked #7 in the country, while Edwards was ranked #4. See here for class of 2019 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... class/2019

Yay?
These high school rankings are pretty great. Did you know that Tyus Jones was a higher-ranked prospect (#4) than Karl Anthony Towns (#9) coming out of high school? http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

Also if anyone can guess the only two prospects in this database with 99 ratings going back to the 2007, without looking, I will give you $1,000.

Spoiler:
Avery Bradley and Kevin Love
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:28 am He likes to play on the perimeter, so will he be a big that excels on the perimeter, or a big that tries to play outside and everyone gets frustrated with?
The surface of the story reminds me so much of Perry Jones. Insanely hyped prep player, top ten in their recruiting class. Very similar college stats with both averaging 13 points a game. And both selected 28th in the draft.

If McDaniels is going to have more of a NBA career than Perry Jones, it needs to be recognized he is not a "big". He is a tall wing player like Brandon Ingram. He is a "3/SF", not a "4/PF". He needs to be developed with that concept in mind. If you try to make him a "big that excels on the perimeter", rather than a perimeter player he will fail.

Another note, a huge portion of how he develops as a NBA player completely rests with him. He is obviously going to be sent to Iowa to start his career. But if he goes there and continues with his bad shot selection, indifferent play, terrible body language, lack of emotional control resulting in technical fouls, Perry Jones career will look like a huge success versus what Jaden will have.

But the team has a responsibility too. They need to sit him down and explain his development and role. They need to emphasize team play, learning the offense and defense, constant hustle, do the small things, take the open shot when it is there but do not force everything. I doubt they do that and they will just send him down to the G-L and watch him put up gaudy box score stats, but in reality they will just be true failure. That is how the Wolves develop players - with indifference.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

shuttlesworth wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:40 pm Also if anyone can guess the only two prospects in this database with 99 ratings going back to the 2007, without looking, I will give you $1,000.

Spoiler:
Avery Bradley and Kevin Love
I had to look, but Bradley was only a 98. Brandon Jennings was a 99.

But, it is clear they adjusted their ratings a bit. In 2008 they had 18 players rated 97 or higher. In 2012, they had 19 players rated 97 or higher.

In 2013, they only had one 97 rated player: Andrew Wiggins and Wiggins was considered a once in a decade type of recruit. Jabari Parker, a close 2nd, was only rated a 96. Ben Simmons was the only 97 of his recruiting year.

So, take the ratings as a grain of salt.
boo

Post by boo »

Is there even going to be a G league this year? My quick google search was inconclusive.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:18 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:28 am He likes to play on the perimeter, so will he be a big that excels on the perimeter, or a big that tries to play outside and everyone gets frustrated with?
The surface of the story reminds me so much of Perry Jones. Insanely hyped prep player, top ten in their recruiting class. Very similar college stats with both averaging 13 points a game. And both selected 28th in the draft.

If McDaniels is going to have more of a NBA career than Perry Jones, it needs to be recognized he is not a "big". He is a tall wing player like Brandon Ingram. He is a "3/SF", not a "4/PF". He needs to be developed with that concept in mind. If you try to make him a "big that excels on the perimeter", rather than a perimeter player he will fail.

Another note, a huge portion of how he develops as a NBA player completely rests with him. He is obviously going to be sent to Iowa to start his career. But if he goes there and continues with his bad shot selection, indifferent play, terrible body language, lack of emotional control resulting in technical fouls, Perry Jones career will look like a huge success versus what Jaden will have.

But the team has a responsibility too. They need to sit him down and explain his development and role. They need to emphasize team play, learning the offense and defense, constant hustle, do the small things, take the open shot when it is there but do not force everything. I doubt they do that and they will just send him down to the G-L and watch him put up gaudy box score stats, but in reality they will just be true failure. That is how the Wolves develop players - with indifference.
Thank you for that highly bookmark-able content.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Not even sure what your response means.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I checked out his highlights and wondered why he wore 2 different numbers at Washington 0 and 4.
But he looks good if he can continue to develop.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Pretty sure to troll you in the future.

I think the first part of the post was solid, but I disagree with the new way we develop players. Rosas seems to actually know what he's doing and give them a chance to prove they belong. I won't get into why I feel that way, but it wasn't too long ago we ALL posted that Wiggins lazy ass was UNTRADEABLE, but he found a way, and not just a salary dump. I am willing to give him time with young players and vets. I do think Saunders is on the hot seat though, and I don't think Rosas will have any trouble replacing him.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:31 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Pretty sure to troll you in the future.

I think the first part of the post was solid, but I disagree with the new way we develop players. Rosas seems to actually know what he's doing and give them a chance to prove they belong. I won't get into why I feel that way, but it wasn't too long ago we ALL posted that Wiggins lazy ass was UNTRADEABLE, but he found a way, and not just a salary dump. I am willing to give him time with young players and vets. I do think Saunders is on the hot seat though, and I don't think Rosas will have any trouble replacing him.
I get that, but it takes a complete loser to troll something they arent taking a stand on. But that is "think"tank.

You realize that in dumping Wiggins we gave away a first round pick........ so it wasn't that genius of a move.

AS far as him knowing what he is doing, the evidence does not suggest that. McDaniels is a small forward, not a power forward big. He needs to develop that way. And he needs to learn the game, not go be a ball stopper in the G-League putting up points, and high turnovers.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bingo on the height thing. As I said all through the playoffs good teams are not playing small. Just because Mia was short does not mean the are a small ball team. No one was scoring and rebounding over Crowder until AD and he's pretty good and big.

Jones career largely was derailed by injury. It robbed him of the freakish athleticism that was his potential. He was still tall but didn't have the heart to bang down low or the shot to be a stretch type. Also never had the handle McDaniels has. Players like him to a degree were dime a dozen during KG era because the copycats always want the next exact same thing and their desire for same blinds them to the differences. I really liked McDaniels brother coming out and wanted him to be part of a Char deal. But he started tougher than his brother and has gotten stronger. If Jaden can do what Jalen did we could have something. But I watched both a ton in college and the attitude is the difference. Jaden started terribly and played the "I'm still a star" game and it got him benched. I honestly think the worst thing that ever happened to him was going in the 1st. Giving his ego something to cling to. If he was a 2nd like his brother maybe I feel more confident he goes down and improves as well.

And our one great hope for him is Iowa is either not payed attention to or just says no to the mandate. They play size. Maybe they will play McDaniels at the 3 which is his only position. Maybe he learns the obvious that a bad shot is way worse than no shot. That a handle is more advantageous to passing than scoring. He flashes instincts but they are undermined by his ego. He flashes anger when playing D which is awesome but then does the same at refs, coaches, teammates. I really hope we have a grizzled vet type down there to show him the way.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I am old enough where I have seen #25 picks with promise come and go. So I never try to get to hype on them.

Jaden McDaniels is a good pick here. If he is a fucktard that wants to piss away this opportunity, so be it, I dont care... but if he actually puts in the work to become an NBA player, the upside for the Timberwolves is huge, considering we don't have a pick next year. We will need new blood in the rotation. He could be that blood.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mcdaniels joining his brother jalen in the nba now makes 14 sets of siblings in the league. they usually get compared to one another. what's been the story on jalen so far?

they are almost identical in measurement and position - 6-10 200ish skinny long SFs. jalen just played in 16 games this year in his rookie season for charlotte (pick 52) - 18 mins per game - per 36 numbers of 10.9/8.0/1.6 - 52%/38%/82%. charlotte was happy with that - and if the same shows up this year for jaden, we should be too. not sure how his D is - charlotte's big emphasis for jalen is to get bigger and stronger for that end of the court - i would assume that's in the cards for jaden as well. a good point is made that this is sort of a compensation development pick in lieu of not having a pick in next year's draft.

i think what everyone is hoping for is basically jonathan isaac - but as rail thin as isaac appears to be, he still outweighs the mcdaniels boys by nearly 30 pounds. it'll take awhile.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.