Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Jaden McDaniels Chat***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: ***Official Jaden McDaniels Chat***

Post by HeHateMe »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:09 am I am old enough where I have seen #25 picks with promise come and go. So I never try to get to hype on them.

Jaden McDaniels is a good pick here. If he is a fucktard that wants to piss away this opportunity, so be it, I dont care... but if he actually puts in the work to become an NBA player, the upside for the Timberwolves is huge, considering we don't have a pick next year. We will need new blood in the rotation. He could be that blood.
I was thinking the other day... what a career Wayne Ellington has had considering drafted at 28 .. same draft as Rubio. He's hung on for awhile because of his shooting. He's heading back to Detroit -- if the Wolves didn't have so many wings I'd have interest in him as a bench guy... him between Rubio and Culver or Okogie wouldn't be bad.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

wayne's always been second tier as a bomber though. 11 nba seasons and a career 38% from three. that's..... just okay - if you're in the league because of your shot. just one season in all that time when he popped over the 40% mark. he must do some other things well too.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:09 am I am old enough where I have seen #25 picks with promise come and go. So I never try to get to hype on them.

Jaden McDaniels is a good pick here. If he is a fucktard that wants to piss away this opportunity, so be it, I dont care... but if he actually puts in the work to become an NBA player, the upside for the Timberwolves is huge, considering we don't have a pick next year. We will need new blood in the rotation. He could be that blood.
The only reason I am saying this is several other people have stated McDaniels was the 25th pick. He was the 28th pick.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:14 pm

I was thinking the other day... what a career Wayne Ellington has had considering drafted at 28 .. same draft as Rubio. He's hung on for awhile because of his shooting. He's heading back to Detroit -- if the Wolves didn't have so many wings I'd have interest in him as a bench guy... him between Rubio and Culver or Okogie wouldn't be bad.
It's Wayning threes!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:18 pm wayne's always been second tier as a bomber though. 11 nba seasons and a career 38% from three. that's..... just okay - if you're in the league because of your shot. just one season in all that time when he popped over the 40% mark. he must do some other things well too.
38% from three is just OK? If some of the greatest shooters in the league history are around 40.....
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:18 pm wayne's always been second tier as a bomber though. 11 nba seasons and a career 38% from three. that's..... just okay - if you're in the league because of your shot. just one season in all that time when he popped over the 40% mark. he must do some other things well too.
38% from three is just OK? If some of the greatest shooters in the league history are around 40.....
it's good, but not great. some of those greatest shooters in the league were fulltime starters - did other things as well and put up a much greater volume of shots. wayne's been a bench guy, employed primarily to come in and hit shots. for threes, he's 38%. seth curry, in a similar role, is great - career 44%. so my point is that wayne probably does some other things well enough so that he's valuable on court as a bench guy for a number of reasons. but no. he's not an elite shooter. he's okay.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:25 pm
Who's Ben Stinar?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I urge Wolves Chat to have low expectations of this kid early and to not make up their minds about him for 3 years or so.

They won’t, of course. He’ll be a bust by Presidents’ Day, but please try!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:33 pm
I urge Wolves Chat to have low expectations of this kid early and to not make up their minds about him for 3 years or so.

I’ll give him until Saint Patrick’s Day Beef. ;)
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm

I have high hopes for him but I see him almost as a future draft pick.like bolmaro.. I like how we picked up 2 swing for the fences assets at the same time as a win now piece in Rubio and sort of Edwards. If these 2 develop over the next couple of years we will (hopefully) be a better team as we bring in young talent.
Probably they will just replace more expensive players :roll: but we can hope..Taylor ever sell this team?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

swenjj wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm

I have high hopes for him but I see him almost as a future draft pick.like bolmaro.. I like how we picked up 2 swing for the fences assets at the same time as a win now piece in Rubio and sort of Edwards. If these 2 develop over the next couple of years we will (hopefully) be a better team as we bring in young talent.
Probably they will just replace more expensive players :roll: but we can hope..Taylor ever sell this team?
He’s the kind of pick the Wolves need to make. A boom or bust at 28 is completely fine. But there’s a 10-20% chance historically that he booms in a meaningful way.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

There were times earlier in the year that McDaniels would be our pick at 17, so the fact that we got him and another stash, plus Rubio off that pick and JJ is quite amazing. If people view him as a project, I don't think there's a lot of downside....he has all the tools to be a really good NBA player. Needs to seriously eat and hit the weights, but both he and Bolmaro are really more of next year hopeful potential, ala, like having a draft pick next year even though we don't. But if this kid beefs up a bit and keeps his focus in check, he could be a very good role player...with potential of more.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

He was pretty good before he got hurt in January. That derailed him.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

kilkenny wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:42 pm He was pretty good before he got hurt in January. That derailed him.
It's the physical assets with the motor....that's a good blend. I'm not saying he has Wiggins level talent, but he's up there in terms of physical abilities. But with McDaniels, he's closer to KG with his intensity....if someone can hone him in, and again, him add some weight, he is a great try at 28.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Does Iowa wolves broadcast their games anywhere?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Never heard of him.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Jaden might be alright, but this tweet irks me. They risked losing him when they took Bomaro instead. They obviously didn't care that much whether or not they got him.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:32 pm Does Iowa wolves broadcast their games anywhere?
In Iowa I would imagine.
j2j

Post by j2j »

McDaniels WAY over dribbles. Hopefully we can clean that up.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

There is a reason why he was selected in the first round of the NBA draft and there are reasons why he was selected late in the first round.

McDaniels biggest problem is that he can shoot the pull up over anyone from anywhere. Why is that a problem? When you can do that you believe every time the ball is in your hands you need to shoot it and every shot is a good one. His shot selection is terrible. He has all of hte skills in the world, including shooting from deep. His shooting range extends beyond the NBA 3 point line although he needs to work significantly on his overall mechanics, his release is really good. But if you cannot play in a basketball offense because you just shoot every time you have the ball, you will never become a good NBA player. Way too many turnovers and bad, bad shots.

On defense, he has the potential to be a solid NBA defender. But again, he simply does not play with enough discipline on defense. He fouls way too much. But his length and lateral quickness gives him the upside into developing into an above average NBA defender, and if he can add a bit of BBIQ and even more important muscle mass without losing quickness, he could develop into an elite wing defender.

Will he put it all together? You would think it would be easy, right. You are given the opportunity to play a game for a high end, celebrity living. You are young, talented, and athletic. You would think that these kids would be able to see the writing on the wall like we do. But then how many do? For a lot of them, once a star, always a star even when you reach a league full of them from top to bottom. If McDaniels really put the work in he could be a top level 3 and D player that has above average NBA handle. If he really worked hard he could be that player sooner rather than later because he just signed a contract that pays him an average of more than $2 million a season, a personal trainer and the weights are open to him 24/7.

Will it happen? Doubtful.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

j2j wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43 pm McDaniels WAY over dribbles. Hopefully we can clean that up.
I’m not concerned.

He isn’t going to play much and when he does, he isn’t going to get the ball much.

Plenty of practice time to break him of bad habits.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I’m high on him but counting this season as a redshirt for him. He should be in Iowa full time with Nowell and learn to play team ball and gain weight. Dude is only 200lbs at 6’10.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:17 am I’m high on him but counting this season as a redshirt for him. He should be in Iowa full time with Nowell and learn to play team ball and gain weight. Dude is only 200lbs at 6’10.
I agree but want to repeat the statement I made above about basketball players. You would think you are a first round draft pick but the team does not consider you ready to play in the NBA. You have weaknesses, such as sloppy play, poor shot selection, problems controlling your emotions and playing under control, and lack some of the basic skills like setting screens and understanding team defense.

YOu would think being sent to the G-League would send the players a message. Learn how to play the game. Play hard. Learn to play defense. Learn attention to detail and the little things, including how to act like a professional.

But what do they do when they get to the G-League: JACK FUCKING SHOTS.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

:naners:
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:29 am
j2j wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43 pm McDaniels WAY over dribbles. Hopefully we can clean that up.
I’m not concerned.

He isn’t going to play much and when he does, he isn’t going to get the ball much.

Plenty of practice time to break him of bad habits.
Are you concerned that we passed on 20 good ready to contribute players? Or that he is an incredibly high upside guy who has to learn and grow on the worst talent developing team in all of sports? Name the players we have developed.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Grading on a rookie curve with limited practice and opportunity... I am giving McDaniels a B in the preseason.

First of all, he is not NBA ready, but that time will come.

He is so tall and lanky... but he is not awkward. He moves very very well for a guy built like that. He is going to be a good shot blocker in the league once he is NBA ready. He is able to get up fast. He seems to have decent dribbling skills for a big man. Offensively we werent really able to see much from him in Preseason.

Spending some time in Iowa I think is going to do wonders for him. Throw him to the Wolves! Let him play against grown ass men fighting for their chance to make it in the NBA. It will get him ready for the riggers of the NBA.

I am excited about this guy. I hope he matures and gets up here to help fast!
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion