Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jared Vanderbilt

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Jared Vanderbilt

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If he was in the NBA Draft, where would he have been drafted? My guess because of lack of 3 pt shot, early 20's

Kid is only 20 years old (Correction, he turned 21 in April). Put up big rebounding numbers in the G League and has shown ability to block shots.

He is close in age as the following players drafted last week:
Bey (22 years old)
Okungwu (19.9)
Toppin (This guy is 23 years old)
Achiuwa (22 years old)
Smith (21 years old)
McDaniels (20 years old)

If he had played two years in college instead of going Pro... he would have been right in the discussion with these guys that were drafted this year. As a G Leaguer, you actually get better prepared to play in the NBA because of the strict practice schedules in college.

So I would argue that Vanderbilt might be more NBA ready then most of the PF players drafted this year. He might see NBA minutes before McDaniels does.

I am anxious to see how he does in training came and preseason games. I think they are going to give him considerable run in those games.
Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Philo Beddoe

Re: Jared Vanderbilt

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Good toilet reading article, I appreciate.

I like the part about where he's at now projecting very similar to Achiuwa, and the part about us specifically targetting him in the trade last year. He wasn't just a throw in for us.

We'll see what happens.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think he's a keeper, but what do i know? what's interesting in his low post play is that he's such a good rebounder plus he's a leftie - which often throws opponents off. and isnt' davis a leftie rebounder too? one of the side bennies of getting davis on board is the opportunity he has to rub some stuff off about his time in the nba on these younger guys. and when you listen to vanderbilt talk - he's got his head on straight. saw an interview with him the other day talking about his time in the gleague - in which he said that NO ONE wants to be in the gleague. players, coaches, trainers - no one. and there's a lot of carping about couldawouldashoulda. but vanderbilt said he approached it totally in a learning way. with his injuries, he simply has not had very much court time in competitive games for the past couple years. and he saw/sees the Gleague as a great opportunity for him to get his reps and rhythm and skills back. seems like a great kid. one thing about his game i notice that isn't talked about much is his dribbling and passing. he's not just a rebounder - and has often been used in the past in sort of a point forward role. he looks bulked up and pretty ripped now, which is great - the rap on his bod in the past is that he's got skinny legs and that's led to some of his injury problems. the bulked up pics i've seen of him unfortunatley don't show his legs - maybe that was intentional because they're still skinny. but maybe he's brought that development along as well as the rest of this body. we'll see.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am i think he's a keeper, but what do i know? what's interesting in his low post play is that he's such a good rebounder plus he's a leftie - which often throws opponents off. and isnt' davis a leftie rebounder too? one of the side bennies of getting davis on board is the opportunity he has to rub some stuff off about his time in the nba on these younger guys. and when you listen to vanderbilt talk - he's got his head on straight. saw an interview with him the other day talking about his time in the gleague - in which he said that NO ONE wants to be in the gleague. players, coaches, trainers - no one. and there's a lot of carping about couldawouldashoulda. but vanderbilt said he approached it totally in a learning way. with his injuries, he simply has not had very much court time in competitive games for the past couple years. and he saw/sees the Gleague as a great opportunity for him to get his reps and rhythm and skills back. seems like a great kid. one thing about his game i notice that isn't talked about much is his dribbling and passing. he's not just a rebounder - and has often been used in the past in sort of a point forward role. he looks bulked up and pretty ripped now, which is great - the rap on his bod in the past is that he's got skinny legs and that's led to some of his injury problems. the bulked up pics i've seen of him unfortunatley don't show his legs - maybe that was intentional because they're still skinny. but maybe he's brought that development along as well as the rest of this body. we'll see.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am i think he's a keeper, but what do i know? what's interesting in his low post play is that he's such a good rebounder plus he's a leftie - which often throws opponents off. and isnt' davis a leftie rebounder too? one of the side bennies of getting davis on board is the opportunity he has to rub some stuff off about his time in the nba on these younger guys. and when you listen to vanderbilt talk - he's got his head on straight. saw an interview with him the other day talking about his time in the gleague - in which he said that NO ONE wants to be in the gleague. players, coaches, trainers - no one. and there's a lot of carping about couldawouldashoulda. but vanderbilt said he approached it totally in a learning way. with his injuries, he simply has not had very much court time in competitive games for the past couple years. and he saw/sees the Gleague as a great opportunity for him to get his reps and rhythm and skills back. seems like a great kid. one thing about his game i notice that isn't talked about much is his dribbling and passing. he's not just a rebounder - and has often been used in the past in sort of a point forward role. he looks bulked up and pretty ripped now, which is great - the rap on his bod in the past is that he's got skinny legs and that's led to some of his injury problems. the bulked up pics i've seen of him unfortunatley don't show his legs - maybe that was intentional because they're still skinny. but maybe he's brought that development along as well as the rest of this body. we'll see.
yeah, let's hope not!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 am
Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 am
yeah, let's hope not!
Who the hell let him skip leg day!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 am Image
Oliver Miller had that same shirt, but for different reasons.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Tank top screaming, "Jared, I dont fit you!"
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 am
Tank top screaming, "Jared, I dont fit you!"
Lol
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I see they don't show his legs in that photo.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 pm I see they don't show his legs in that photo.
yerp.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

They put Jarred on the court a couple times last year. He was lost. I remember they pulled him off the court pretty quickly.

I am not sure the issue with Jarred is his physical attributes but his mental attributes.

If he can figure it out, he could be in for considerable minutes this year. Good to see him with Dlo... if you are going to workout with someone, workout with the guy that is going to be distributing the ball.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think he'll come around. his gleague stats last year in iowa were 16/13/4. but he himself said that he's incredibly rusty because, due to injuries, he just hasn't been in many games in the past few years. i also saw what you mentioned about him looking lost out there. but he's very young - and i think a lot of that (like culver in a way) was due to "jeezus i'm in an NBA GAME" jitters. not wanting to fuck up, instead of just playing. give him experience and a little time, i think he's got some very nice tools that can help this team. in general, he plays with a high motor - which is a lot better situation than a young player who needs a fire lit under him.