Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

I think there is a good possibility that....

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

I think there is a good possibility that....

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Timberwolves will never win an NBA Championship.

Yeah, I know Toronto figured it out and they are kind of in the same boat, maybe a slight step above Minnesota... I just don't think teams like Minnesota will ever be able to put a team on the court that can compete with the glamor teams. You have to get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.

Look at Milwaukee... they have a generational talent on their team. You never hear stars saying, I want to go to Milwaukee to play with Giannis... its always, Giannis is leaving Milwaukee to play with so and so.

Minnesota could of had Dlo before last season, I still don't get what happened, but DLo left KAT standing at the altar. You know KAT thinks about that fact all the time. Its something that will fester in his brain up until the day he requests a trade.

Everyone in here bitching and moaning over who our back up PF is is kind of silly if you think about it. As if, our back up PF is going to make the difference between #8 seed and the Western Conference Finals.

If Edwards turns out to be a borderline superstar, that would be our lightning in a bottle... but even then, how long could we keep it together? How long until we become Oklahoma City 2.0?

At this point, I am looking forward to the season, I just hope the team is competitive and is fun to root for.... but I have no delusions that this will be anything but another season of watching a Glamor team win the championship.

Anyways, I probably will delete all this later... I am just pissed off at the Vikings and am stewing in my frustration.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
qrocks

Re: I think there is a good possibility that....

Post by qrocks »

I'm too old to see this hypothesis out further than 10 years. I do expect the Wolves will not win a championship in the next 10 years. I will be surprised if they win a playoff series in the next 5 years.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Basically 2 things have to happen in order for a championship to even be mentioned.

1. Good upper management

2. Superstars

Let's see, we never had #1 and we sniffed #2 once

So yup, you are correct. The real question is, why do we follow a team that will never reach championship?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

They had a great shot in 03-04... when they had the league MVP. Milwaukee needs to capitalize while they can.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

shoteh wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:01 am

So yup, you are correct. The real question is, why do we follow a team that will never reach championship?
Because we are Minnesota and that is what we do.

Without a doubt, the most fun I have had watching sports was the year the Wolves went 40-42 or something with Love, Rubio, Pek, Trolliver... we sucked, but we made sucking fun.

That season with Butler after making the playoffs was easily the least fun I have had watching the Wolves. What a fucking miserable fucking team. FU Thibs.

I am looking forward to these young guys getting out there and having fun.

I want to see Edwards dunk on people.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think you have to keep trying to build a contender though. if mgmt is only going to try to put a "fun" team on the court, you'll impress only the worst of the fanbase. the ones who come to the games to see the blimp. now if mgmt tries to put together a "fun" team but also with an eye towards actual substantial results, that's a different thing. i still don't want my team to just be entertainment - if that's the case i'll just play some video games or go watch the globetrotters when they come to town. there still IMO should be some hope that a serious team is trying to be built.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 am i think you have to keep trying to build a contender though. if mgmt is only going to try to put a "fun" team on the court, you'll impress only the worst of the fanbase. the ones who come to the games to see the blimp. now if mgmt tries to put together a "fun" team but also with an eye towards actual substantial results, that's a different thing. i still don't want my team to just be entertainment - if that's the case i'll just play some video games or go watch the globetrotters when they come to town. there still IMO should be some hope that a serious team is trying to be built.
Yeah, nobody is really saying lets put the Harlem Globetrotters out there.. but its nice to enjoy watching a team play while winning some games.

Ultimately, I would rather watch a team of assholes win a championship over a team of nice guys go 42 and 42, of course. Winning is fun.

My point is, we do not have a championship caliber team, but we have a team of guys that will be competitive and will most likely have a lot of fun playing together. Time will tell I guess.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 am i think you have to keep trying to build a contender though. if mgmt is only going to try to put a "fun" team on the court, you'll impress only the worst of the fanbase. the ones who come to the games to see the blimp. now if mgmt tries to put together a "fun" team but also with an eye towards actual substantial results, that's a different thing. i still don't want my team to just be entertainment - if that's the case i'll just play some video games or go watch the globetrotters when they come to town. there still IMO should be some hope that a serious team is trying to be built.
Yeah, nobody is really saying lets put the Harlem Globetrotters out there.. but its nice to enjoy watching a team play while winning some games.

Ultimately, I would rather watch a team of assholes win a championship over a team of nice guys go 42 and 42, of course. Winning is fun.

My point is, we do not have a championship caliber team, but we have a team of guys that will be competitive and will most likely have a lot of fun playing together. Time will tell I guess.
Ricky's rookie year more fun to watch than the Thibs/Butler year, IMO. Of course this was before Ricky tore his ACL and the team shit the bed after that.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.