Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves trade for Ed Davis

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Wolves trade for Ed Davis

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Are you saying you think we will move or waive Davis?
I think trade is most likely once he can be combined with other players. He is likely an expiring contract the team who trades for him won't have to pay, meaning they would get instant savings. Worst case the deal saves Glen $4mil.
I would not put it past a Timberwolve GM to give up a 2nd round pick for a player and then waive him. It is doubtful that they acquired Davis just to use him in a deal becasue they could have just used the players they traded to acquire him instead.
I suspect NY is paying Davis' contact, meaning it wouldn't cost anything to waive him where it would the other players. That is a fairly important difference. Moreover trading smaller contracts is harder because it requires roster spaces. We consolidated.
j2j

Post by j2j »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm With the signing of Beasley and Hernangomez, the Wolves have 9 guaranteed contracts on the books - Towns, Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Hernangomez, Culver, Davis, Layman, Okogie. 2020-21 total cap hit for 9 contracts: $ 112,633,143

Rookie Contracts assuming Bulmaro stays in Europe:
Anthony Edwards salary hit: $9,757.440
Jaden McDaniels salary hit: $1,964,760

Total 11 players under contract with total cap hit: $124,355,343

Dead Cap: Cole Aldrich $685,340

Total Cap As it Stands: $125,040,683

Luxury Tax Level: $132,627,000

Leaves roughly $7.6 million to fill out the roster.

Naz Reid, Jaylen Norwll, and Jarred Vanderbilt have non-guaranteed deals that total $4,699,823.
Those 3 guys are staying and that gives us 3 million to resign Jmac
I would find it hard to believe that they keep Nowell and then sign McLaughlin. With the over load of guards that would be a mistake.
I could see both spending time in the G-League again until needed.

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
PF - Layman/Launcho/Vanderbilt
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Nowell, McLaughlin, and McDaniels in Iowa. Maybe even Reid getting some time down there as well. Plus Hagans and hopefully an athletic big on 2-ways. And ideally neither of those 2-ways get as many minutes with the big club as the guys did last year.

I think Nowell has some game, potential to be a contributor with some more seasoning.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm No one is paying Ed Davis to score. We're good there. He'll just come in for his ~15mpg to defend and rebound, which he's phenomenal at, especially offensive boards. And with how well we chuck the ball, might as well be passes for Davis tip-ins. ;-)
He’s phenomenal? Wow! Why were the Wolves able to get a phenomenal player for so cheap?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
j2j

Post by j2j »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm No one is paying Ed Davis to score. We're good there. He'll just come in for his ~15mpg to defend and rebound, which he's phenomenal at, especially offensive boards. And with how well we chuck the ball, might as well be passes for Davis tip-ins. ;-)
He’s phenomenal? Wow! Why were the Wolves able to get a phenomenal player for so cheap?
Stick to Packers chat.

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:28 pm
Stick to Packers chat.
That doesn’t remotely answer the question. I did a search, and it seems that he hasn’t won defensive player of the year even once. Weird.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
j2j

Post by j2j »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Stick to Packers chat.
That doesn’t remotely answer the question. I did a search, and it seems that he hasn’t won defensive player of the year even once. Weird.
Who said he did?

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Stick to Packers chat.
Who said he did?
I would expect someone who is phenomenal at defending and rebounding to win it multiple years.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 pm

Who said he did?
I would expect someone who is phenomenal at defending and rebounding to win it multiple years.
Who said he was "phenomenal at defending"? He's a good defender, absolutely. He's a phenomenal rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Let me know if you need more assistance.

You really need to stop using your complete ignorance to troll.

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Who said he did?
Who said he was "phenomenal at defending"? He's a good defender, absolutely. He's a phenomenal rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Let me know if you need more assistance.

So he’s a good defender and a phenomenal rebounder? He best year, he averaged 8.6 rpg. What is a guy like Kevin Love, who routinely averaged that, and one year averaged over 15rpg? Super extra mega phenomenal? :drinky:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm

I think trade is most likely once he can be combined with other players. He is likely an expiring contract the team who trades for him won't have to pay, meaning they would get instant savings. Worst case the deal saves Glen $4mil.
I would not put it past a Timberwolve GM to give up a 2nd round pick for a player and then waive him. It is doubtful that they acquired Davis just to use him in a deal becasue they could have just used the players they traded to acquire him instead.
I suspect NY is paying Davis' contact, meaning it wouldn't cost anything to waive him where it would the other players. That is a fairly important difference. Moreover trading smaller contracts is harder because it requires roster spaces. We consolidated.
Not even sure what that means. In the NBA a team can use cash in a transaction but are limited to an aggregate of $5.6 million. If there were cash considerations it has not been announced.

But, then, your claim is doubtful at best. If they are "paying Davis' salary" that means that the Knicks are spending more than $9 million to acquire a future 2nd round pick (Davis' salary plus the more than $4 million they took in Spellman and Evans).

With this piece of information you concede that your claim is highly doubtful, right?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

:popcorn:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 pm

So he’s a good defender and a phenomenal rebounder? He best year, he averaged 8.6 rpg. What is a guy like Kevin Love, who routinely averaged that, and one year averaged over 15rpg? Super extra mega phenomenal? :drinky:
ed is a role player - and he does what he does well. which is rebound. the year he averaged 8.9, he also just played 18 mpg. because he's a journeyman role player. don't compare him to kevin love - who has more skills, is paid a LOT more, can shoot the three, etc. ed davis is not as good as kevin love. no one is saying that. but ed davis is probably kevin love's equal at that one thing - rebounding.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Raw numbers... :lol:

12.8% career offensive rebounding percentage. 2 years ago, getting regular minutes, Orb% 15.8%, Drb% 34.6%, and Trb% 25.2%. Kevin Love has NEVER put up offensive and total rebounding numbers as high as those. Defensive rebounding he did it twice.

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Raw numbers... :lol:

12.8% career offensive rebounding percentage. 2 years ago, getting regular minutes, Orb% 15.8%, Drb% 34.6%, and Trb% 25.2%. Kevin Love has NEVER put up offensive and total rebounding numbers as high as those. Defensive rebounding he did it twice.
I’m looking at the best rebounders of all time on multiple lists. Ed isn’t one any of them! How can this be?!? I bet the democrats are behind this injustice :lol:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Not even sure what that means. In the NBA a team can use cash in a transaction but are limited to an aggregate of $5.6 million. If there were cash considerations it has not been announced.

But, then, your claim is doubtful at best. If they are "paying Davis' salary" that means that the Knicks are spending more than $9 million to acquire a future 2nd round pick (Davis' salary plus the more than $4 million they took in Spellman and Evans).

With this piece of information you concede that your claim is highly doubtful, right?
You understand they got two 2nd for taking Davis from Utah, right. It is not a decision in a vacuum. Yes, I am just guessing that NY is paying his salary, I have made that clear. I don't think the trade makes sense if they are not. Otherwise you just waive Evans, keep the more valuable Spellman and a 2nd and still be saving $1mil over taking back Davis. Follow?

NY is only spending $4mil more than they would have, you have to ask yourself if a team would spend that to get a 2nd and a 23 y/o modern big with two years left on their rookie deal. I have seen teams spend that type of money on less of a return.

You are free to your opinion, I have to think cash came back.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Davis is a career 20mpg player because he's limited offensively, doesn't space the floor at all. But when he's on the court he's an elite rebounder, especially offensive rebounds, and a good defender.

If this past season not getting on the floor for Utah was just a fluke because they have Gobert and he was coming off a broken leg, and he returns to what he's done over his whole career, he'll fill some important roles for ~15mpg on a great contract.
Last edited by j2j on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

3 pages and counting on Ed Davis. Nice work, Wolves chat. Love you guys.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm Davis is a career 20mpg player because he's limited offensively, doesn't space the floor at all. But when he's on the court he's an elite rebounder, especially offensive rebounds, and a good defender.

If this past season not getting on the floor for Utah was just a fluke because they have Gobert and he was coming off a broken leg, and he returns to what he's done over his whole career, he'll fill some important roles for ~15mpg on a great contract.
Now your changing your position..
First he was phenomenal, not he’s elite, what’s next, just good?

Lighten up, I’m just fucking with you.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it's something we need to do considering juancho hernangomez is now our starting 4.

and actually - i hope that they keep him. we need a guy that can play both big spots. yes, he has limited skills on the court but is considered one of the best teammates in the league. everybody LOVES ed. super humble, stays real, doesn't complain, works hard, mentors younger guys. little known fact: just two years ago, ed ranked number one in the league in box outs. now just hearing that sets my old school heart aflutter. and for sure won't be a bad influence for malik to hang with.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm Davis is a career 20mpg player because he's limited offensively, doesn't space the floor at all. But when he's on the court he's an elite rebounder, especially offensive rebounds, and a good defender.

Go be stupid somewhere else.

Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm
Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Go be stupid somewhere else.
Now I’ve hurt your feelings. Can’t we just hug it out?
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm it's something we need to do considering juancho hernangomez is now our starting 4.
Guessing Davis is more of a backup 5 for us than a backup 4. We'll probably be frustrated at some point during the season they're not getting minutes together.

Still hoping they take a flyer on an athletic big who can block shots for that other 2-way spot.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hopefully they are thinking of him as a 15-20 mpg guy. They need someone to even out the rotations. All this talk about non-positional basketball, but you still need guys like this in spurts, especially when you run into the Jokics, Embiid's, Nurkic's, Ayton's, etc..etc.. We don't want to have to count on KAT or even worse, Juancho for those matchups.
j2j

Post by j2j »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Hopefully they are thinking of him as a 15-20 mpg guy. They need someone to even out the rotations. All this talk about non-positional basketball, but you still need guys like this in spurts, especially when you run into the Jokics, Embiid's, Nurkic's, Ayton's, etc..etc.. We don't want to have to count on KAT or even worse, Juancho for those matchups.
Absolutely, that's what I'm seeing and saying. Obviously he's not the perfect answer, but he's a solid option considering his ability, contract, and his intangibles.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm

excellent point. as it was, naz turns an ankle, Karl needs a blow - and suddenly the coach is looking down the bench and saying incredible things like "um.... um.... JAKE! you get in there against embiid. REALLY lay it to him!"
j2j

Post by j2j »

Karl probably sits that game against Embiid.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm

Those 3 guys are staying and that gives us 3 million to resign Jmac
I would find it hard to believe that they keep Nowell and then sign McLaughlin. With the over load of guards that would be a mistake.

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Nowell, McLaughlin, and McDaniels in Iowa. Maybe even Reid getting some time down there as well. Plus Hagans and hopefully an athletic big on 2-ways. And ideally neither of those 2-ways get as many minutes with the big club as the guys did last year.

I think Nowell has some game, potential to be a contributor with some more seasoning.
Davis at PF. One of Okogie or Culver seems gone to me.

Russell/Rubio
Beasley/Okogie Or Culver
Edwards/Layman
Davis/Juancho
KAT/Reid
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think davis is going to share backup mins with naz. and be used situationally if we need a bigger body at PF. and that'll shift minutes around for culver and okogie to get court time. i'll be surprised if they go in some small deal just to accommodate PT for ed davis and jake layman.
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Davis at PF. One of Okogie or Culver seems gone to me.

Russell/Rubio
Beasley/Okogie Or Culver
Edwards/Layman
Davis/Juancho
KAT/Reid
You're thinking about it more traditionally, not like Rosas or Ryan.