Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves trade for Ed Davis

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: Wolves trade for Ed Davis

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm Can he play DT for Vikings?
:lol:
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Style

Post by Style »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm Can he play DT for Vikings?
Yes.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:01 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:41 pm

I don’t think the MLE works like that.

Or are you talking about under the tax line?
Under tax
Copy that.

I think you’re right.

But we could still use the full MLE if we’re willing to go into the tax, right? I’m not sure there’s anyone left that’s worth it and I’m not sure Glen wants to pay the tax. Just sayin.
I don't think it's about paying the tax.. if we are over by a million I don't think it's a money issue... I think it's more about the penalties that come with being a tax payer.

This team is not seeing cap space for the foreseeable future. We are going to need all of the MLE
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Style

Post by Style »

Why are we always giving away picks?

This guy sucks.
j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm They had 4 million left to spend after Juancho. Trading Omari Spellman & Jacob Evans gets you another 4 million for 8 million total. Ed Davis contract is for 5 million.

Timberwolves have 3 million left and one roster spot open to potentially resign Jordan McLaughlin JMAC.
No idea what you are trying to say.
Wolves had 11 million to spend after the Bradley resigning before hitting the tax line which they want to avoid the repeater tax.

They signed Juancho for 7 million so they had 4 million remaining to spend. Trading Spellman and Evans frees up 4 million combined with our 4 million makes 8 million total. Ed Davis makes 5 million so our remaining cap to spend is 3 million.

Wolves have 14 players on roster and still have that 3 million to resign Jmac.
Correct.

Hopefully we can find an athletic big for that second 2-way deal. Someone who can defend, block shots, rebound.

Donta Hall, who SMY has been pimping, sounds like an excellent option.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Style

Post by Style »

Go get Hassan Whiteside.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Under tax
Copy that.

I think you’re right.

But we could still use the full MLE if we’re willing to go into the tax, right? I’m not sure there’s anyone left that’s worth it and I’m not sure Glen wants to pay the tax. Just sayin.
I don't think it's about paying the tax.. if we are over by a million I don't think it's a money issue... I think it's more about the penalties that come with being a tax payer.

This team is not seeing cap space for the foreseeable future. We are going to need all of the MLE
They penalties are money, right?

I’m not disagreeing with you.

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:41 pm We don’t suck anymore?
Ed is bringing is massive 1.8ppg to the wolves.
hey boballooey. 2 years ago ed played about 18 mins per game and also had an 18 rebs per 36. teams generally like ed.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 pm

No idea what you are trying to say.
Wolves had 11 million to spend after the Bradley resigning before hitting the tax line which they want to avoid the repeater tax.

They signed Juancho for 7 million so they had 4 million remaining to spend. Trading Spellman and Evans frees up 4 million combined with our 4 million makes 8 million total. Ed Davis makes 5 million so our remaining cap to spend is 3 million.

Wolves have 14 players on roster and still have that 3 million to resign Jmac.
Correct.

Hopefully we can find an athletic big for that second 2-way deal. Someone who can defend, block shots, rebound.

Donta Hall, who SMY has been pimping, sounds like an excellent option.
why thank you j2j for that positive note.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

With the signing of Beasley and Hernangomez, the Wolves have 9 guaranteed contracts on the books - Towns, Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Hernangomez, Culver, Davis, Layman, Okogie. 2020-21 total cap hit for 9 contracts: $ 112,633,143

Rookie Contracts assuming Bulmaro stays in Europe:
Anthony Edwards salary hit: $9,757.440
Jaden McDaniels salary hit: $1,964,760

Total 11 players under contract with total cap hit: $124,355,343

Dead Cap: Cole Aldrich $685,340

Total Cap As it Stands: $125,040,683

Luxury Tax Level: $132,627,000

Leaves roughly $7.6 million to fill out the roster.

Naz Reid, Jaylen Norwll, and Jarred Vanderbilt have non-guaranteed deals that total $4,699,823.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm With the signing of Beasley and Hernangomez, the Wolves have 9 guaranteed contracts on the books - Towns, Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Hernangomez, Culver, Davis, Layman, Okogie. 2020-21 total cap hit for 9 contracts: $ 112,633,143

Naz Reid, Jaylen Norwll, and Jarred Vanderbilt have non-guaranteed deals that total $4,699,823.
Those 3 guys are staying and that gives us 3 million to resign Jmac
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Copy that.

I think you’re right.

Yes, but also effects your MLE amounts I think. This year MLE for tax payers was just under $6 million.. compared to $9 million for everyone else
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Yes, but also effects your MLE amounts I think. This year MLE for tax payers was just under $6 million.. compared to $9 million for everyone else
Copy.

I know the old CBA rules pretty well. But since they added the lux tax and penalties and all that, I’m a little lost on specifics. I get the general idea.

- Isaac Asimov
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I saw something tonight about us using the mle..said if we use the mle we are hard capped and can't bring salary in later if we find a big trade..I thought that was only if you do a sign and trade.so many random rules
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Maybe we will finally find out what Omaris problem was.. someone keep an eye on his Instagram
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:53 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm The NYKs received TWO seconds for taking on his salary, they agreed to pay the remaining salary, Now they get Spellman, Evans and a third 2nd. I am sure NY is paying him and he isn't worth this on its face, if we needed to pay him we would have got something back. So my guess is they waive him and sign a player or he will be used as salary filler in a trade that doesn't cost a dime for the other team.
Are you saying you think we will move or waive Davis?
I think trade is most likely once he can be combined with other players. He is likely an expiring contract the team who trades for him won't have to pay, meaning they would get instant savings. Worst case the deal saves Glen $4mil.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 pm Maybe we will finally find out what Omaris problem was.. someone keep an eye on his Instagram
I knew that dudes time here was limited the second he was sent to Iowa. Dude seemed like a train wreck.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 pm Maybe we will finally find out what Omaris problem was.. someone keep an eye on his Instagram
not sure if we'll ever get the whole story at this point. but apparently he had a significant snit explosion when he got here - and this offended rosas, who then probably had a smaller internal snit implosion over it - and because of that spellman was sent to the iowa gulag. and if that's the case, then boo hoo poor gersson. it's probably something that could have been smoothed over with some common sense talks from a more levelheaded GM - but i guess something else happened instead.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:47 pm I am sure glad the Wolves locker room will be so wonderful. They can feel really close after losing games.

I like the move by the Knicks. They got 2 2nd round picks from Utah to take Davis, then trade Davis to Minnesota and got a 3rd. While it isn't much, they also saved $1 million. Plus, I think they got by far the best value in the trade in Omari Spellman.

Ed Davis is a 1990's front court player. A 56% free throw shooter. He has attempted 4 3 point shots in his career. He doesn't space the floor. He is a good rebounder but in the NBA if you do not space the floor rebounding is a marginal stat. There is a reason why he is on his 8th team in his career.
What should the Wolves have done to go to the finals since they didn’t do what you wanted, which is obviously the right way.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Yawn.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm
not sure if we'll ever get the whole story at this point. but apparently he had a significant snit explosion when he got here - and this offended rosas, who then probably had a smaller internal snit implosion over it - and because of that spellman was sent to the iowa gulag. and if that's the case, then boo hoo poor gersson. it's probably something that could have been smoothed over with some common sense talks from a more levelheaded GM - but i guess something else happened instead.
I don’t think they ever had any plans long-term for Spellman. He threw a shit fit, just like he did after being dealt from Atlanta, and rather than infect the locker room they just sent him to Iowa.

Dude is clearly fragile and admittedly self-sabotages. Why bother.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm
Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:41 pm We don’t suck anymore?
Ed is bringing is massive 1.8ppg to the wolves.
hey boballooey. 2 years ago ed played about 18 mins per game and also had an 18 rebs per 36. teams generally like ed.
That’s great! We need rim protection and rebounding.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 pm
I don’t think they ever had any plans long-term for Spellman. He threw a shit fit, just like he did after being dealt from Atlanta, and rather than infect the locker room they just sent him to Iowa.

Dude is clearly fragile and admittedly self-sabotages. Why bother.
Well they sent him home to NY, good on us, probably not bitching now.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Got a big that wants to play
Got rid of a big that does not want to play

I'd say that's a win in my book
j2j

Post by j2j »

No one is paying Ed Davis to score. We're good there. He'll just come in for his ~15mpg to defend and rebound, which he's phenomenal at, especially offensive boards. And with how well we chuck the ball, might as well be passes for Davis tip-ins. ;-)

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm With the signing of Beasley and Hernangomez, the Wolves have 9 guaranteed contracts on the books - Towns, Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Hernangomez, Culver, Davis, Layman, Okogie. 2020-21 total cap hit for 9 contracts: $ 112,633,143

Those 3 guys are staying and that gives us 3 million to resign Jmac
I would find it hard to believe that they keep Nowell and then sign McLaughlin. With the over load of guards that would be a mistake.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm No one is paying Ed Davis to score. We're good there. He'll just come in for his ~15mpg to defend and rebound, which he's phenomenal at, especially offensive boards. And with how well we chuck the ball, might as well be passes for Davis tip-ins. ;-)
All the clanged threes here will be like a whole season of Thanksgivings for him to feast off of. He’ll be livin’ off some FAT STATS!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:53 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm The NYKs received TWO seconds for taking on his salary, they agreed to pay the remaining salary, Now they get Spellman, Evans and a third 2nd. I am sure NY is paying him and he isn't worth this on its face, if we needed to pay him we would have got something back. So my guess is they waive him and sign a player or he will be used as salary filler in a trade that doesn't cost a dime for the other team.
Are you saying you think we will move or waive Davis?
I think trade is most likely once he can be combined with other players. He is likely an expiring contract the team who trades for him won't have to pay, meaning they would get instant savings. Worst case the deal saves Glen $4mil.
I would not put it past a Timberwolve GM to give up a 2nd round pick for a player and then waive him. It is doubtful that they acquired Davis just to use him in a deal becasue they could have just used the players they traded to acquire him instead.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm No one is paying Ed Davis to score. We're good there. He'll just come in for his ~15mpg to defend and rebound, which he's phenomenal at, especially offensive boards. And with how well we chuck the ball, might as well be passes for Davis tip-ins. ;-)
All the clanged threes here will be like a whole season of Thanksgivings for him to feast off of. He’ll be livin’ off some FAT STATS!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Might put up career high scoring because of it. :beer: