Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves trade for Ed Davis

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
YBBR

Re: Wolves trade for Ed Davis

Post by YBBR »

That 2026 pick will ptobably be traded 5-10 times before that draft.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

memyworld wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm Here's something I forgot about Ed Davis:

Davis scored 11 points and grabbed 8 boards as a freshman in the '09 title game victory over Michigan State. His teammates included Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, and Tyler Zeller.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
j2j

Post by j2j »

YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm That 2026 pick will ptobably be traded 5-10 times before that draft.
It'll be the 60th pick, so who cares? We can just grab the guy we wanted there as an UDFA.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

j2j wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm That 2026 pick will ptobably be traded 5-10 times before that draft.
It'll be the 60th pick, so who cares? We can just grab the guy we wanted there as an UDFA.
Big brained the Knicks. Got em.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:20 pm just traded a 6-4 and a 6-8 for a 6-10 - and drafted a 6-11.
Our 6'8" was as big, long, and strong as the guy we traded him for plus he has those basketball skills. And our 6'11" is a 3 who plays like a 2.

None of this addresses the issue which is we won't properly PLAY our size. Spellman was only a C for us. No way they play Davis at the 4. They made Vandy go superhero before they would give him a sniff. He is more than skilled and athletic enough to play 3 which would be nasty. Except we don't have anyone else to play with size at the 4. And I believe that the idiot talking about how he was impressed with his improvement mentioned his ability to play small ball 5. As if we need that more than a big skilled rebounding 3.And you know they see McDaniels as a "skilled" 4 and not a big 3 though everyone else does.

We have insurmountable issues with rebounding and D playing like this. We have an absolute glut in the backcourt even though we play at least 3 and sometimes 4 at a time. We will play big in Iowa but refuse here. I don't get it. Dieng was our 2nd best rebounder and 3 shooter and a good defender but we wouldn't play him. Stupid is just stupid and largely inexplainable but I just really want to know the plan. Why do we max 2 obvious half court players and demand they play fast? Why do they insist the best mid range scorer in the league in Russell take more 3's at a sub par %? Why instead of building around the guys you constantly tout as stars do you "add talent" regardless? How after watching the playoffs can they not see that height is not size. Mia being short means they played small ball? Yeah, no.

Someone please give me a possible plan. What can they be thinking other than killing time like an NFL coach changing to a young QB for the future and buying another year.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Timberwolves fans love players like Ed Davis. We love the meat and potato guys.

Think about fan favorites... Okogie... Rubio... players that leave it on the court. Davis is going to endear himself nicely.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am Timberwolves fans love players like Ed Davis. We love the meat and potato guys.

Think about fan favorites... Okogie... Rubio... players that leave it on the court. Davis is going to endear himself nicely.
i'd love it if davis was the number one option behind KAT at the 5 - and got some PF mins against bigger lineups. 15 MPG kind of guy. naz i think could benefit greatly this season with tons of minutes down in iowa and a weights/diet regimen that knocks a bunch of fat off his body. he's our biggest player - and doesn't particularly play strong. no one is scared of naz. body at this point is closer to oliver miller (6-9 280) than montrezl harrell (6-8 240). i'd love it if that could reverse itself.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am
Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am Timberwolves fans love players like Ed Davis. We love the meat and potato guys.

i'd love it if davis was the number one option behind KAT at the 5 - and got some PF mins against bigger lineups. 15 MPG kind of guy. naz i think could benefit greatly this season with tons of minutes down in iowa and a weights/diet regimen that knocks a bunch of fat off his body. he's our biggest player - and doesn't particularly play strong. no one is scared of naz. body at this point is closer to oliver miller (6-9 280) than montrezl harrell (6-8 240). i'd love it if that could reverse itself.
Naz will continue to work on his body I am sure... the natural skill is there but the body will take awhile.. just turned 21!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 am

Naz will continue to work on his body I am sure... the natural skill is there but the body will take awhile.. just turned 21!
It took Kevin love 2 years to figure out you can't be good in the NBA as a blob.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:09 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 am

It took Kevin love 2 years to figure out you can't be good in the NBA as a blob.
I know Naz had a nice stretch and then had bad stretch, my biggest knock is that he fell in love with jacking up shots from the 3 point line and seemed to be happy about not having to play inside or go to the hoop. Dieng did the same shit...... Wolves need some bigs that play like they are big. At least Saric took quite a few elbows to the face when he was here.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

exactly. this is not a big and strong club. so the bigs we have need to play like bigs.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 am
morneaumvp wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 am I like the trade, we lost a lot of toughness with JJ departure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In the old days someone like JJ would get bought out and then return... think rules prevent that from happening now. And now he heads to Dallas which has tough guy Dwight Powell.
That sucks they changed the rules like that, JJ returning would've put us over the top to get 8th seed atleast
salamander

Post by salamander »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:36 pm Image

I’ve always liked that guy. Solid vet that shows up, does his shit and doesn’t rock the boat. I thought he was actually 33-34’ish too, so it’s nice seeing he’s only 31.
This is one of the problems with the NBA. Never heard of this guy and everything being said about him makes it seem like he should be a well known player. His style it seems to me from what I've heard is exactly what I'd like in a player. Give me a solid player over high production at an iffy % rate.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:21 am
SHAFA wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:36 pm Image

I’ve always liked that guy. Solid vet that shows up, does his shit and doesn’t rock the boat. I thought he was actually 33-34’ish too, so it’s nice seeing he’s only 31.
This is one of the problems with the NBA. Never heard of this guy and everything being said about him makes it seem like he should be a well known player. His style it seems to me from what I've heard is exactly what I'd like in a player. Give me a solid player over high production at an iffy % rate.
Well, there is a reason we are Wolves fans and believe these types of ideas. While Ed Davis is that lunch pail type of guy that has some value, there is a reason why he is on his 8th NBA team in his 11th year in the NBA, that he has a career minutes per game under 20 (19.8), and has only been a spot starter at best (most games started in a season is 28). He has also been injury prone, only playing in 70 or more games 5 out of 10 season.

If he is available to play I think he is a guy that can give you that 15-18 minutes of good defense, good rebounding, solid screens, blue collar play. Back in the early 1990s he would have fit in but in the modern NBA he cannot add much more. He offers no spacing and shooting (he is 0-4 in his career from 3) and is a terrible free thow shooter (58.3% on career). When your team is on offense, you have to literally try to prevent the ball from ending up in his hands and defenses do not have to respect him more than 10 feet away from the basket (90% of his career shots are from 10 feet in, 61%of his career shots are from 0-3 feet).

If you have four shooters on the court on offense you can get away with Davis on the floor. But how do you play offense with Rubio and Davis? When Davis sets the screen for Ricky, who even bothers to go over that?

While I do not think it was a mistake for the Wolves to trade for the guy and we probably do not if he does not have an expiring contract, since he will be a free agent at the end of the season the WOlves would struggle to retain him if he plays well. They do have Bird Rights, but a veteran player will look to get to a team that actually wins.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

because when ricky misses his floater, ed puts the rebound back in. you are neglecting to mention a big part of ed's value on O. which is an offensive rebound putback. he's got a career 4.2 orpg rate - and a lot of that went right back in the basket. it's not a bad weapon to have - and opponents have to account for it. andre drummond was the best offensive rebounder in the league last year at 4.8 per 36. ed's career 4.2 per 36 is nothing to sneeze at.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:26 pm because when ricky misses his floater, ed puts the rebound back in.
I'd count it as a typical Rubio assist...
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:26 pm because when ricky misses his floater, ed puts the rebound back in. you are neglecting to mention a big part of ed's value on O. which is an offensive rebound putback. he's got a career 4.2 orpg rate - and a lot of that went right back in the basket. it's not a bad weapon to have - and opponents have to account for it. andre drummond was the best offensive rebounder in the league last year at 4.8 per 36. ed's career 4.2 per 36 is nothing to sneeze at.
Sure. But the reason he gets offensive rebounds is he doesn't space the floor. So a lot of the rebounding value goes away.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:05 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:26 pm because when ricky misses his floater, ed puts the rebound back in. you are neglecting to mention a big part of ed's value on O. which is an offensive rebound putback. he's got a career 4.2 orpg rate - and a lot of that went right back in the basket. it's not a bad weapon to have - and opponents have to account for it. andre drummond was the best offensive rebounder in the league last year at 4.8 per 36. ed's career 4.2 per 36 is nothing to sneeze at.
Sure. But the reason he gets offensive rebounds is he doesn't space the floor. So a lot of the rebounding value goes away.
so we're better off with a floor spacer who brings a defender out there with him - so that when ricky misses his floater, it's just another defensive rebound. okay. you know, offensive rebounds and putbacks are generally sort of... good things.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:22 pm
so we're better off with a floor spacer who brings a defender out there with him - so that when ricky misses his floater, it's just another defensive rebound. okay. you know, offensive rebounds and putbacks are generally sort of... good things.
Well, lets just say that if you are planning your offense around MISSED SHOTS you have more problems than an occasional Ed Davis offensive rebound will solve.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

lol, 6 pages on Ed Davis like we follow his career. He's simply a bigger body that our roster needs towards the end of his career who wants minutes on a team. He will bring some help sure but he's Ed Davis, not Dennis Rodman.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

shoteh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:19 pm lol, 6 pages on Ed Davis like we follow his career. He's simply a bigger body that our roster needs towards the end of his career who wants minutes on a team. He will bring some help sure but he's Ed Davis, not Dennis Rodman.
I agree. Embarrassing but this is a fanbase starved for something to talk about.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:42 pm
Well, lets just say that if you are planning your offense around MISSED SHOTS you have more problems than an occasional Ed Davis offensive rebound will solve.
mlhouse, you don't have to plan your O around missed shots - it's a fact of life in the game. more than half the shots are missed. so having a guy who's really good at putting those back in isn't the worst problem in the world. it's not "planning your O around ed" - it's just taking advantage of his gifts.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shoteh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:19 pm lol, 6 pages on Ed Davis like we follow his career. He's simply a bigger body that our roster needs towards the end of his career who wants minutes on a team. He will bring some help sure but he's Ed Davis, not Dennis Rodman.
and i have this same argument every year. our brains can handle 15 guys, okay? we're not talking about the 9th OL on the vikings practice squad. ed davis will be one of probably just 14 players on our team. plus, he'll probably see the court. if talking 14 deep seems like too deep, i don't know what to tell you. what the hell else should we be talking about - Dlo's latest elbow tattoo?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Always great when part timers wander in and bitch about people posting about the team the forum is dedicated to.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm
mlhouse, you don't have to plan your O around missed shots - it's a fact of life in the game. more than half the shots are missed. so having a guy who's really good at putting those back in isn't the worst problem in the world. it's not "planning your O around ed" - it's just taking advantage of his gifts.
That is exactly the point you were making. Ed Davis is a journeyman NBA player. . If his offensive rebounding was so valuable, 4.2 oBoards/36, why isn't there a team that has said, HEY WE NEED THAT ACTION IN THERE 35 minutes a game? Game in, game out?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 pm

That is exactly the point you were making. Ed Davis is a journeyman NBA player. . If his offensive rebounding was so valuable, 4.2 oBoards/36, why isn't there a team that has said, HEY WE NEED THAT ACTION IN THERE 35 minutes a game? Game in, game out?
O-rebounding can still be valuable even if its not at 35 minutes per game. Just like bench scoring can be valuable, or a defensive specialist. Showing that he gets 4.2 oboards/36 isnt pointing out that its such a valuable trait that every team should want it in a starting role, its showing where he excels, and can excel in whatever minutes he gets...whether its 10 minutes one game, or a DNP the next, or a 25 minute mop start. He's a bench guy. No one is arguing differently. The per 36 numbers just show what he's capable and best at.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm

O-rebounding can still be valuable even if its not at 35 minutes per game. Just like bench scoring can be valuable, or a defensive specialist. Showing that he gets 4.2 oboards/36 isnt pointing out that its such a valuable trait that every team should want it in a starting role, its showing where he excels, and can excel in whatever minutes he gets...whether its 10 minutes one game, or a DNP the next, or a 25 minute mop start. He's a bench guy. No one is arguing differently. The per 36 numbers just show what he's capable and best at.
He is a small minute role player that can come in off the bench. His rights have been owned by 8 teams in ten years. He isn't an exceptional player in any regard.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:23 pm

He is a small minute role player that can come in off the bench. His rights have been owned by 8 teams in ten years. He isn't an exceptional player in any regard.
Correct, but he can be useful, specifically with his rebounding.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:35 pm

Sure, he is a 15 minute player that will give you a bit of rebounding, set good screens, and play adequate defense. He is nothing to get excited about. Decent NBA role players are valuable, especially to winning teams, and that could be his biggest value to the Wolves. Finding a playoff contender that needs a 15 minute player that will give thma a bit of rebounding, set good screens, and play adequate defense, and getting an asset back better than the 2026 2nd round pick we gave up to get him.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:45 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:35 pm

Sure, he is a 15 minute player that will give you a bit of rebounding, set good screens, and play adequate defense. He is nothing to get excited about. Decent NBA role players are valuable, especially to winning teams, and that could be his biggest value to the Wolves. Finding a playoff contender that needs a 15 minute player that will give thma a bit of rebounding, set good screens, and play adequate defense, and getting an asset back better than the 2026 2nd round pick we gave up to get him.
Cool, sounds like you are on board with the trade. :thumbsup: