Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves trade for Ed Davis

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Wolves trade for Ed Davis

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am
thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 am

You think Davis might get waived!!!

:lol:
I think it is an option, but not likely.

You love to misrepresent people. I simply covered what I thought options might be. It is just a guess. NY was willing to pay 5mil for two 2nds, would they pay $4mil for a 2nd, Spellman and $1mil in cap relief? I think it is more than possible. Factor in that cash limits in trades fits Davis' contact nicely, Glens penchant for selling picks and other available options on the table and their respective costs, cash explains the disparity in value in the trade. Cash considerations are not always reported, but I think it happened here. And if Davis is traded and cash considerations are mentioned in that future deal it is a big tip off they came from NY, because Glen ain't doing it. I think we got cash to make Davis more easily traded then waived where he isn't going to take a roster spot on the team he is traded to if needed. That having a player like that who can be added to one of our smaller contracts would have value and explains the superficial overpay.

I don't care if you agree with my guess in the least.
Much like your opinion on Giuliani, you are entirely overthinking this too.
Yawn. Keep politics out of it.

If you can explain to me how Ed Davis goes from a player who costs assets to unload to a team that would consider waiving him to a player that gets the positive value of $1mil in cap savings, a 2nd and a 22 y/o modern big on a rookie contract I am all ears. I think you are oversimplifying it if you think "well we liked him" justifies his shift in value. That is my opinion and I don't care if you think I am right or not. This shouldn't be so important to you that I have made such a guess. I made it, move on with your life.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Figures. WC let's an Ed Davis thread get to 5 pages. Desperation is sinking in.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 pm Figures. WC let's an Ed Davis thread get to 5 pages. Desperation is sinking in.
There is 5 posts about Ed Davis and 52 posts about some bullshit NY Knicks paying for dinner or some shit.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:32 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am

I think it is an option, but not likely.

You love to misrepresent people. I simply covered what I thought options might be. It is just a guess. NY was willing to pay 5mil for two 2nds, would they pay $4mil for a 2nd, Spellman and $1mil in cap relief? I think it is more than possible. Factor in that cash limits in trades fits Davis' contact nicely, Glens penchant for selling picks and other available options on the table and their respective costs, cash explains the disparity in value in the trade. Cash considerations are not always reported, but I think it happened here. And if Davis is traded and cash considerations are mentioned in that future deal it is a big tip off they came from NY, because Glen ain't doing it. I think we got cash to make Davis more easily traded then waived where he isn't going to take a roster spot on the team he is traded to if needed. That having a player like that who can be added to one of our smaller contracts would have value and explains the superficial overpay.

I don't care if you agree with my guess in the least.

If you can explain to me how Ed Davis goes from a player who costs assets to unload to a team that would consider waiving him to a player that gets the positive value of $1mil in cap savings, a 2nd and a 22 y/o modern big on a rookie contract I am all ears. I think you are oversimplifying it if you think "well we liked him" justifies his shift in value. That is my opinion and I don't care if you think I am right or not. This shouldn't be so important to you that I have made such a guess. I made it, move on with your life.
Illogical shit hurts my head. That's all there is to it.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ed Davis is a great example of what so many young players miss. Obviously 6'10 guys dont grow on trees, but so many kids think they're going to be stars, #1 options, 18 dribble moves and chucking 3s.

Davis is going to make $45 million by just rebounding, defending, and hustling. Sticks to what he's good at, doesn't force anything.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:11 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Illogical shit hurts my head. That's all there is to it.
It is not illogical. In fact in the last hour or so it came out that Utah received unspecified cash considerations as part of the deal with NY. Based on this it is just as likely we did too, though probably not as much as I had figured. These moves were probably all planned out by the three teams as a defacto three-way deal. Our end will be official sometime later today or tomorrow. NY is probably paying about $5.6mil for THREE 2nds and Spellman which they wanted over Davis.

Now you might be asking yourself why didn't they make a three-way deal, if the cash considerations to Utah are below $1.1mil then touching rules are not satisfied. So MN could be getting $4.6mil+. They just last year got $3.6mil for taking on Napier and Graham. What I am guessing is not in any way out of the realm of possibility.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:11 pm Ed Davis is a great example of what so many young players miss. Obviously 6'10 guys dont grow on trees, but so many kids think they're going to be stars, #1 options, 18 dribble moves and chucking 3s.

Davis is going to make $45 million by just rebounding, defending, and hustling. Sticks to what he's good at, doesn't force anything.
Yup, buying into your role and playing it to the best of your ability and being a good teammate should be the best advice to any pro prospect.

Not everyone can be a star but every team needs role players.

Look at Jared Dudley. Lakers resigned him again because he’s a good locker room vet and he’s willing to fight on the court for the star players lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:11 pm Ed Davis is a great example of what so many young players miss. Obviously 6'10 guys dont grow on trees, but so many kids think they're going to be stars, #1 options, 18 dribble moves and chucking 3s.

I was really surprised by the impact JJ had on the Team when he came here, he was a huge positive. If I had one complaint was that at times when got more comfortable in the offense he started to do some dumb shit that he had no business doing on the court, but again the Wolves were terrible now JJ has gotten himself to a winner in Dallas. Good for him.

Hoping Davis sticks to the program and his strengths listed above, if so he will become a favorite here.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

dame has been quoted as saying if he could have his way, davis would be his teammate for life. davis is a journeyman. no doubts of that. but he's a journeyman that a lot of really good players in the league love.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Ervin Johnson-like.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 pm dame has been quoted as saying if he could have his way, davis would be his teammate for life. davis is a journeyman. no doubts of that. but he's a journeyman that a lot of really good players in the league love.
COming off the bench 15 minutes a game, rebounding, setting screens, and playing defense he is adequate.

This team has fixed its course eve if some of the details are up in the air.

The front court starters are Towns and Herangomez. Davis and probably Naz Reid come off the bench.

The back court is some mixture of Russell, Edwards, Beasley, Rubio, Culver, Layman, and Okogie.

I do think that if they play and shoot like they did at the end of last year, Russell, Towns, Edwards, Beasley, and Heranagomez could be reasonably competitive. But that means Beasley, Hearnagomez, and Towns all need to shoot more than 40% from 3, that Russell shoots well, and Edwards perhaps shoots a bit better than in college with better shot selection. I think they can get adequate spacing with that lineup. The obvious problem is defense BUT THIS TEAM NEEDS TO EXECUTE A TEAM DEFENSE. That is their biggest problem.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:47 pm Ervin Johnson-like.
:o

I thought the same thing.

Let’s hope he has the same impact... :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 pm dame has been quoted as saying if he could have his way, davis would be his teammate for life. davis is a journeyman. no doubts of that. but he's a journeyman that a lot of really good players in the league love.
COming off the bench 15 minutes a game, rebounding, setting screens, and playing defense he is adequate.

The front court starters are Towns and Herangomez. Davis and probably Naz Reid come off the bench.

The back court is some mixture of Russell, Edwards, Beasley, Rubio, Culver, Layman, and Okogie.

I do think that if they play and shoot like they did at the end of last year, Russell, Towns, Edwards, Beasley, and Heranagomez could be reasonably competitive. But that means Beasley, Hearnagomez, and Towns all need to shoot more than 40% from 3, that Russell shoots well, and Edwards perhaps shoots a bit better than in college with better shot selection. I think they can get adequate spacing with that lineup. The obvious problem is defense BUT THIS TEAM NEEDS TO EXECUTE A TEAM DEFENSE. That is their biggest problem.
they should just go zone. as for the long distance shooting - towns and beasley are pretty solid. dlo is a career 35ish - not sure we should expect more than that. and juancho's 42 for us last year was certainly an anomaly from the rest of his career. 14 games with us at 42% - 191 games prior to that at 35%. again, not horrible - but certainly not curry-like. adequate. i hope they don't try to force feed it as the main staple of the offense. most of our guys have shown throughout their careers to be adequate to not so good. for example, there's still this misconception that layman is a three point threat. he's a career 31% shooter from three - more of a liability than a threat. i won't be surprised a bit if culver has better numbers this year from deep than jake.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 pm

they should just go zone. as for the long distance shooting - towns and beasley are pretty solid. dlo is a career 35ish - not sure we should expect more than that. and juancho's 42 for us last year was certainly an anomaly from the rest of his career. 14 games with us at 42% - 191 games prior to that at 35%. again, not horrible - but certainly not curry-like. adequate. i hope they don't try to force feed it as the main staple of the offense. most of our guys have shown throughout their careers to be adequate to not so good. for example, there's still this misconception that layman is a three point threat. he's a career 31% shooter from three - more of a liability than a threat. i won't be surprised a bit if culver has better numbers this year from deep than jake.
The critical issue on the 3 point shot is whether the defense needs to defend them on the perimeter or not. Towns, Beasley, Russell, and Herangomez you need to defend outside. Edwards we will wait and see. Rubio you do not need to defend.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm
Sounds like my kind of guy.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

proof will be in the pudding. and i don't mean his play. i mean PT. remember we had both jordan bell and noah vonleh on the team a year ago - and they mostly sat on the bench. even in games when we were getting killed on the glass, they sat. even when KAT went down, they sat and some tweener forward took the minutes at 5. i love this move - just hope he gets into the games.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 pm proof will be in the pudding. and i don't mean his play. i mean PT. remember we had both jordan bell and noah vonleh on the team a year ago - and they mostly sat on the bench. even in games when we were getting killed on the glass, they sat. even when KAT went down, they sat and some tweener forward took the minutes at 5. i love this move - just hope he gets into the games.
If you expect Ed Davis to play a second at anything other than backup C then maybe post what team you root for. I've always liked the guy. No skill just scrap. Utterly not valued here. Spellmabn a much better basketball player and fit. The one thing we got out of this was dumping Evans. That is not enough to lose Spellman and a 2nd.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Wolves ever Tommy Hammonds. Just all out hustle and grit and great teammate and enforcer. I think this guy qualifies as a wolves chat favorite where most tubes have wanted him for years. Definitely not a starter, but nice move and makes us better.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm expecting davis to have a limited role backing up KAT with naz - and maybe playing some minutes at PF when we face teams with two bigs. of which there's quite a few actually. and oddly, looks like the pels will be one of them. DMC, christian wood, jaxson hayes and zion - that is definitely some height and/or heft up front.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 am i'm expecting davis to have a limited role backing up KAT with naz - and maybe playing some minutes at PF when we face teams with two bigs. of which there's quite a few actually. and oddly, looks like the pels will be one of them. DMC, christian wood, jaxson hayes and zion - that is definitely some height and/or heft up front.
Because remember the zero times we used 2 bigs against the big teams last year.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just traded a 6-4 and a 6-8 for a 6-10 - and drafted a 6-11.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Knicks fans are busy hyping Spellman. I think we just traded a hall of famer guys.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 pm Knicks fans are busy hyping Spellman. I think we just traded a hall of famer guys.
As if this board doesn't hype turds.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 pm Knicks fans are busy hyping Spellman. I think we just traded a hall of famer guys.
and won't it be hilarious all around if wiseman turds out?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Dame to the Wolves confirmed.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm
I think The Tube is one of the top message board contributors in the country!!!
Ketchup can be nuancy
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Here's something I forgot about Ed Davis:

Davis scored 11 points and grabbed 8 boards as a freshman in the '09 title game victory over Michigan State. His teammates included Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, and Tyler Zeller.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:14 pm
That's a relief.