Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves trade for Ed Davis

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Re: Wolves trade for Ed Davis

Post by Philo Beddoe »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

I would find it hard to believe that they keep Nowell and then sign McLaughlin. With the over load of guards that would be a mistake.
I could see both spending time in the G-League again until needed.

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
PF - Layman/Launcho/Vanderbilt
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Nowell, McLaughlin, and McDaniels in Iowa. Maybe even Reid getting some time down there as well. Plus Hagans and hopefully an athletic big on 2-ways. And ideally neither of those 2-ways get as many minutes with the big club as the guys did last year.

I think Nowell has some game, potential to be a contributor with some more seasoning.
Davis at PF. One of Okogie or Culver seems gone to me.

Russell/Rubio
Beasley/Okogie Or Culver
Edwards/Layman
Davis/Juancho
KAT/Reid
To be Honest, I would be shocked if Davis plays in more than 50 games. I think he is going to get a lot of DNP - Coaches decision. I don't think you can start him until you are playing a team with two giant players on the front court.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think he'll get about equal backup minutes as naz does at center. and this will be a good thing. for being such a good find for us last year, there are still a load of holes in naz's game. on most nba teams, he'd be the third center. i'm glad we're giving him opportunities - but it's a better balance having a 31 year old vet taking turns with him.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm With the signing of Beasley and Hernangomez, the Wolves have 9 guaranteed contracts on the books - Towns, Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Hernangomez, Culver, Davis, Layman, Okogie. 2020-21 total cap hit for 9 contracts: $ 112,633,143

Rookie Contracts assuming Bulmaro stays in Europe:
Anthony Edwards salary hit: $9,757.440
Jaden McDaniels salary hit: $1,964,760

Total 11 players under contract with total cap hit: $124,355,343

Dead Cap: Cole Aldrich $685,340

Total Cap As it Stands: $125,040,683

Luxury Tax Level: $132,627,000

Leaves roughly $7.6 million to fill out the roster.

Naz Reid, Jaylen Norwll, and Jarred Vanderbilt have non-guaranteed deals that total $4,699,823.
Those 3 guys are staying and that gives us 3 million to resign Jmac
I would find it hard to believe that they keep Nowell and then sign McLaughlin. With the over load of guards that would be a mistake.
JMac doesn't really affect Nowell. What I do see is Okogie is expendable. Nowell might be who they are counting on to replace Beasley should they ever trade him.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 pm

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Nowell, McLaughlin, and McDaniels in Iowa. Maybe even Reid getting some time down there as well. Plus Hagans and hopefully an athletic big on 2-ways. And ideally neither of those 2-ways get as many minutes with the big club as the guys did last year.

I think Nowell has some game, potential to be a contributor with some more seasoning.

Russell/Rubio
Beasley/Okogie Or Culver
Edwards/Layman
Davis/Juancho
KAT/Reid
To be Honest, I would be shocked if Davis plays in more than 50 games. I think he is going to get a lot of DNP - Coaches decision. I don't think you can start him until you are playing a team with two giant players on the front court.
Most likely. This team is about player development and Naz will take priority. Davis' benefit will come from very limited minutes and being an extra bench coach.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:29 pm

C - Towns/Davis/Reid
SF - Edwards/Okogie
SG - Beasley/Culver
PG - Russell/Rubio

Russell/Rubio
Beasley/Okogie Or Culver
Edwards/Layman
Davis/Juancho
KAT/Reid
You're thinking about it more traditionally, not like Rosas or Ryan.
Yeah, you're right. I am a traditionalist in that sense.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Rather would've just given Spellman a chance.

Liked Davis a few years back. Stout D and Boards.

Way prefer Precious at 17 with JJ while keeping #33 sans RR and stash.
j2j

Post by j2j »

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:55 pm
Wow we got him for a steal! W2G Rosas!!!
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Davis actually does decent damage on the court in small roles. He should play 18 to 20 a game and we will see good rebounding and defense. He's opposite Juancho. Between the two, we have a PF!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm
You understand they got two 2nd for taking Davis from Utah, right. It is not a decision in a vacuum. Yes, I am just guessing that NY is paying his salary, I have made that clear. I don't think the trade makes sense if they are not. Otherwise you just waive Evans, keep the more valuable Spellman and a 2nd and still be saving $1mil over taking back Davis. Follow?

NY is only spending $4mil more than they would have, you have to ask yourself if a team would spend that to get a 2nd and a 23 y/o modern big with two years left on their rookie deal. I have seen teams spend that type of money on less of a return.

You are free to your opinion, I have to think cash came back.
They got 2 2nd round picks because they let Utah dump Davis' $5 million on their cap. This means a 2nd round pick is worth about $2.5 million (they overpaid but then had Davis to use in another deal).

The next step is dumping Davis on Minnesota. They swapped salary in Davis for the GSW throw ins and got a 3rd 2nd.

According to you, THEY PAID $5 million in cash PLUS absorbed $4 million in salary to acquire a single 2nd round pick. ZERO FUCKING WAY.

Instead, what they did was sucker MN into taking Davis. Now, they turned $4 million of cap space into THREE 2nd round picks. That makes their cost $1.33 million per 2nd (and the MN 2nd round pick will probably be decent). That is reasonable expenditure for 2nd.

You sometimes have good takes. This is not a good take on your part.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

I like the trade, we lost a lot of toughness with JJ departure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Davis is almost a must have for when you face a team with a 7ft Center and a big Power Forward. This was a good pick up.

I am a little sad that we never got to see what Spellman could do... but I guess he was never going to give us that chance.

Davis also is good insurance if the Vanderbilt guy turns out to be a big stiff.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:17 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm
You understand they got two 2nd for taking Davis from Utah, right. It is not a decision in a vacuum. Yes, I am just guessing that NY is paying his salary, I have made that clear. I don't think the trade makes sense if they are not. Otherwise you just waive Evans, keep the more valuable Spellman and a 2nd and still be saving $1mil over taking back Davis. Follow?

NY is only spending $4mil more than they would have, you have to ask yourself if a team would spend that to get a 2nd and a 23 y/o modern big with two years left on their rookie deal. I have seen teams spend that type of money on less of a return.

You are free to your opinion, I have to think cash came back.
They got 2 2nd round picks because they let Utah dump Davis' $5 million on their cap. This means a 2nd round pick is worth about $2.5 million (they overpaid but then had Davis to use in another deal).

The next step is dumping Davis on Minnesota. They swapped salary in Davis for the GSW throw ins and got a 3rd 2nd.

According to you, THEY PAID $5 million in cash PLUS absorbed $4 million in salary to acquire a single 2nd round pick. ZERO FUCKING WAY.

Instead, what they did was sucker MN into taking Davis. Now, they turned $4 million of cap space into THREE 2nd round picks. That makes their cost $1.33 million per 2nd (and the MN 2nd round pick will probably be decent). That is reasonable expenditure for 2nd.

You sometimes have good takes. This is not a good take on your part.
You can think what you want, but I don't think MN is taking on $1mil in extra salary, giving up a 2nd and a young modern big on rookie scale the next two years all to dump Evans when he could be waived and MN keeps the assets and saves $1mil. Cash needed to be involved.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

So_Money, what evidence do you have that the Knicks already paid Davis his salary this year IN ADVANCE?

That assumption makes zero sense.

It hasn’t once been mentioned in any reporting about the trade.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

morneaumvp wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 am I like the trade, we lost a lot of toughness with JJ departure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
it'll be okay. we picked up ricky in his place. he's always been an enforcer type. 8-)
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 am So_Money, what evidence do you have that the Knicks already paid Davis his salary this year IN ADVANCE?

is that even NBA legal?

Does it even matter? His Salary still counts against the salary cap, regardless of what billionaire is paying it.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 am So_Money, what evidence do you have that the Knicks already paid Davis his salary this year IN ADVANCE?

I am just guessing. But it makes just as much sense as thinking a 30 y/o Ed Davis is worth $1mil in savings, a 2nd and young modern big on a rookie contract.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

None of what he was saying last night made any sense.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 am

He probably read this, but it absolutely doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
The Knicks stockpiled two more 2023 second-round picks by trading for Utah Jazz big man Ed Davis and agreeing to pay the $5 million left on his contract, according to sources. The Knicks may cut Davis but are still deciding.

DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

We got him.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

morneaumvp wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 am I like the trade, we lost a lot of toughness with JJ departure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In the old days someone like JJ would get bought out and then return... think rules prevent that from happening now. And now he heads to Dallas which has tough guy Dwight Powell.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am
SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 am

He probably read this, but it absolutely doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
The Knicks stockpiled two more 2023 second-round picks by trading for Utah Jazz big man Ed Davis and agreeing to pay the $5 million left on his contract, according to sources. The Knicks may cut Davis but are still deciding.
All that means is they absorbed him, but it indicates they were willing to pay $2.5mil per pick by waiving him. What would they pay for $1mil in cap, an additional 2nd round pick and Spellman? Would they pay $2mil per asset, less than what it cost them in the first trade? So, sure it factors into my guess, but I know what it means. Cash has to be coming our way for granting all that positive value to NY or the deal makes no sense as we could have that value and saved $1mil by just waiving Evans.

If you think no cash was involved you have to agree it is a profoundly lopsided deal that makes ZERO sense given all potential options that either free up a roster spot, land Davis or both if NY would possibly cut him.

Again it is just my guess, you can think what you want, but I am basing my guess on the availability of public information.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am

I am just guessing. But it makes just as much sense as thinking a 30 y/o Ed Davis is worth $1mil in savings, a 2nd and young modern big on a rookie contract.
I disagree.

Davis is worth that pile of puke you spit out.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 am

I disagree.

Riiiiigght....that is why NY required to 2nds to pay him.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:39 am

I disagree.

You think Davis might get waived!!!

:lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm Rather would've just given Spellman a chance.

Liked Davis a few years back. Stout D and Boards.

Way prefer Precious at 17 with JJ while keeping #33 sans RR and stash.
i'll agree with that.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Absolutely a chance New York might have waived him. Teams with cap space often use that cap space to absorb a contract and pick up another asset to do so. Also a chance they would have kept him as he seems like a Thibs kind of guy.

Doesn't mean New York prepaid his contract. That's just stupid.

And doesn't mean the Wolves would waive him, that's even dumber. If that was their intention they could have waived the non-guaranteed deals of Spellman and Evans and kept the 2nd.

Sometimes people on this board outsmart themselves.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 am

I disagree.

I think it is an option, but not likely.

You love to misrepresent people. I simply covered what I thought options might be. It is just a guess. NY was willing to pay 5mil for two 2nds, would they pay $4mil for a 2nd, Spellman and $1mil in cap relief? I think it is more than possible. Factor in that cash limits in trades fits Davis' contact nicely, Glens penchant for selling picks and other available options on the table and their respective costs, cash explains the disparity in value in the trade. Cash considerations are not always reported, but I think it happened here. And if Davis is traded and cash considerations are mentioned in that future deal it is a big tip off they came from NY, because Glen ain't doing it. I think we got cash to make Davis more easily traded then waived where he isn't going to take a roster spot on the team he is traded to if needed. That having a player like that who can be added to one of our smaller contracts would have value and explains the superficial overpay.

I don't care if you agree with my guess in the least.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am

1. “I think it is an option, but not likely” = what I said, “you think Davis might get waived” (he will not).

2. You care or you wouldn’t be responding.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am

You love to misrepresent people. I simply covered what I thought options might be. It is just a guess. NY was willing to pay 5mil for two 2nds, would they pay $4mil for a 2nd, Spellman and $1mil in cap relief? I think it is more than possible. Factor in that cash limits in trades fits Davis' contact nicely, Glens penchant for selling picks and other available options on the table and their respective costs, cash explains the disparity in value in the trade. Cash considerations are not always reported, but I think it happened here. And if Davis is traded and cash considerations are mentioned in that future deal it is a big tip off they came from NY, because Glen ain't doing it. I think we got cash to make Davis more easily traded then waived where he isn't going to take a roster spot on the team he is traded to if needed. That having a player like that who can be added to one of our smaller contracts would have value and explains the superficial overpay.

Much like your opinion on Giuliani, you are entirely overthinking this too.