Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Sign Movie Star Hernangomez to $21 Million Deal

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Wolves Sign Movie Star to $21 Million Deal

Post by HeHateMe »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:00 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 am
:thinking:
I said we should package those two guys for Jordan Bell but instead they got packaged for Ed Davis
Jordan Bell is gonna be available soon.
Traded to the Lakers as part of Javale McGee trade, and Lakers are expected to waive Bell.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I said we should package those two guys for Jordan Bell but instead they got packaged for Ed Davis
Traded to the Lakers as part of Javale McGee trade, and Lakers are expected to waive Bell.
The guy got zero run here under the same staff before being sent away not even a year ago. Why would they bring him back?
YouLikeThat8

Post by YouLikeThat8 »

populousample wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm Run it back
This is a fantastic comment
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:08 pm

The guy got zero run here under the same staff before being sent away not even a year ago. Why would they bring him back?
I'm not saying they should. I'm just directing it to the other poster who said we should be trading for Bell.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Philo Beddoe

Re: Wolves Sign Movie Star Hernangomez to $21 Million Deal

Post by Philo Beddoe »

NBA should allow small market teams to have as many players as they want.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:16 pm

I'm not saying they should. I'm just directing it to the other poster who said we should be trading for Bell.
I know, that wasn't directed at you. My bad.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

SHAFA wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:30 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:16 pm

I know, that wasn't directed at you. My bad.
I wouldn't think Bell would want to come back either
it's all good
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Don’t need him anymore since we got Ed Davis but I felt he should of got more run next to KAT last season but Wolves were too stuck on playing small ball with Roco and Graham at the 4. Last season was a disaster because of that. I hope Rosas and Ryan learned their lesson with that small ball crap.

Look at Lakers and Denver who play with two traditional bigs
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm 2nd guy they've paid a big contract to for their short time with the Wolves. Beasley got paid fat for 14 games with the Wolves. Juancho also just with 14 games. If both players play like they did in those 14 games, great, no issue with the contract. I just feel they signed them at their maximum value, and doesn't seem like they used their past performances (or lack thereof) in negotiations.
As long as the FO continues to be willing to trade anyone and everyone, it doesn't matter as much. We've been hamstrung in the past bc we had GMs that didn't want to upset anyone and trade them away.
Spoiler:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

A lot of you guys hough Bell wasn't NBA quality. Now you're telling me we should re-sign him?
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 pm A lot of you guys hough Bell wasn't NBA quality. Now you're telling me we should re-sign him?
No one who thinks Bell is a bum wants to re-sign him. Others are still learning the game.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm NBA should allow small market teams to have as many players as they want.
Many would want 6 or 7.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If Giannis does not sign the super max offer, and he ends up in Los Angeles next year... Milwaukee will be done as a franchise. NBA fans of small market teams will slowly stop supporting their teams and the league.

This is a big decision that Giannis has coming.. it will be interesting to see if he goes through with it or not.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:30 am If Giannis does not sign the super max offer, and he ends up in Los Angeles next year... Milwaukee will be done as a franchise. NBA fans of small market teams will slowly stop supporting their teams and the league.

This is a big decision that Giannis has coming.. it will be interesting to see if he goes through with it or not.
The NBA may have a huge wake up call if this is the case.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:11 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:30 am If Giannis does not sign the super max offer, and he ends up in Los Angeles next year... Milwaukee will be done as a franchise. NBA fans of small market teams will slowly stop supporting their teams and the league.

Doubt it.

LeBron left Cleveland and people watched the NBA EVEN MORE.
Spoiler:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Doubt it.

LeBron left Cleveland and people watched the NBA EVEN MORE.
:cry:

Being fodder for the bigger markets is shite. Minnesota isn't that small a State either.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so word apparently is that JH initially was seeking a $10M+/yr deal. our offer was a bit less than half of that. and so we said, fine, go check around the league to see if anyone will pay you what you want. and at that point we started inquiring about jamychal green and larry nance jr and paul millsap and such. and apparently both sides came up empty.

so... that's where it got moved to $7Mish - and i can only think that's because we wanted to sign him, but didn't want to sign a guy who was pissed off about his money. the only way i see him being worth it is if he continues to blaze from three - but there's way more track record of him being an okay deep shooter and not the 42% whiz he was in 14 games for us last year. we'll see. i think we overpaid.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 am so word apparently is that JH initially was seeking a $10M+/yr deal. our offer was a bit less than half of that. and so we said, fine, go check around the league to see if anyone will pay you what you want. and at that point we started inquiring about jamychal green and larry nance jr and paul millsap and such. and apparently both sides came up empty.

so... that's where it got moved to $7Mish - and i can only think that's because we wanted to sign him, but didn't want to sign a guy who was pissed off about his money. the only way i see him being worth it is if he continues to blaze from three - but there's way more track record of him being an okay deep shooter and not the 42% whiz he was in 14 games for us last year. we'll see. i think we overpaid.
If he gives you 13 and 8 and with pretending to play defense, for a starting PF, is it really that bad? IMO we already have three 20 PPG scorers on this team, Juancho has zero pressure, and again, if he makes anything happen defensively it's a bonus. But 7 mil for what he gave us last year isn't terrible. Do I hope he'll grow and get better than last year, yes...Do I expect to see it....no. Either way, he was decent for us last year, if having KAT makes him look the same or better, 7 million isn't a bad deal. Didn't Cole Aldrich get that same fucking money once?! Juancho is better than Aldrich, I have no issue saying that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:59 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 am so word apparently is that JH initially was seeking a $10M+/yr deal. our offer was a bit less than half of that. and so we said, fine, go check around the league to see if anyone will pay you what you want. and at that point we started inquiring about jamychal green and larry nance jr and paul millsap and such. and apparently both sides came up empty.

If he gives you 13 and 8 and with pretending to play defense, for a starting PF, is it really that bad? IMO we already have three 20 PPG scorers on this team, Juancho has zero pressure, and again, if he makes anything happen defensively it's a bonus. But 7 mil for what he gave us last year isn't terrible. Do I hope he'll grow and get better than last year, yes...Do I expect to see it....no. Either way, he was decent for us last year, if having KAT makes him look the same or better, 7 million isn't a bad deal. Didn't Cole Aldrich get that same fucking money once?! Juancho is better than Aldrich, I have no issue saying that.
i just question giving a guy that apparently was having a hard time finding suitors, a 7 mil deal. especially when you've drafted a guy you hope becomes a dynamic scoring wing for you - along with your two max scorers - and then there's beasley. so what did we NEED from a PF ideally? i'd say ideally he would be a lot better at D than juancho has shown. hey, not just me. it's his rap around the league - and the questions are still there - who's going to play D?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:15 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:59 pm

i just question giving a guy that apparently was having a hard time finding suitors, a 7 mil deal. especially when you've drafted a guy you hope becomes a dynamic scoring wing for you - along with your two max scorers - and then there's beasley. so what did we NEED from a PF ideally? i'd say ideally he would be a lot better at D than juancho has shown. hey, not just me. it's his rap around the league - and the questions are still there - who's going to play D?
What if we need bigger team friendly deals for a trade later. In the mean time, he's not technically overpriced.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I guess the way you can look at it is if you can sign your own players to a bigger contract without going into luxury tax, you should do it. If the player is worth a damn, their contract can be used in a trade without having to add peripheral pieces to match salaries for a higher level player.

If you are going to trade for a max salary guy and include Hernangomez in the trade at $7 million per year instead of $5 million. You are now $2 million closer to matching that max salary guy compared to if you had signed him for $5 million.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Final numbers on Juancho's contract...

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that's some nice wiggle room. 2 yrs/$13M sounds more in the ballpark to me than 3 yrs/$21M.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm that's some nice wiggle room. 2 yrs/$13M sounds more in the ballpark to me than 3 yrs/$21M.
For an OK depth guy at the 3 and 4 on a good team yeah it's OK. As the idiot's starter on it's embarrassing waste of assets and money.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

That contract is team friendly. Juancho is what he is, I dont think we are going to see some major transformation into a budding star.

But if say a player like Vanderbilt steps up and out plays Juancho, this contract is not going to be hard to move. You might even be able to get a 2nd round pick back in a trade.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm that's some nice wiggle room. 2 yrs/$13M sounds more in the ballpark to me than 3 yrs/$21M.
For an OK depth guy at the 3 and 4 on a good team yeah it's OK. As the idiot's starter on it's embarrassing waste of assets and money.
yes, agree. but i wasn't aware of the 3rd year team option. 2 years makes it easier to swallow. still feels ENTIRELY unnecessary in light of layman and vandy ... and then davis ..... and now rhj. all of these guys feel same tier to me - only each does something better than the other. but four is plenty.
witljon

Post by witljon »

swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm Ricky and Juancho have some pretty good chemistry from playing on the Spanish National team. Any chance Juancho comes off the bench with Ricky? We are going to badly need someone off the bench who can stretch the floor. Ricky and Juancho could be a nice bench duo.
We could have Rubio, Beasley and juancho off the bench. Better than we have had in a while,but at starter pay as well

I assume with no summer league and a short camp that Edwards comes off the bench.i hope not but sort of expect it.
I bet all 3 will come off the bench some games, but they probably start more than they’ll be backups.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:00 am
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pm
yes, agree. but i wasn't aware of the 3rd year team option. 2 years makes it easier to swallow. still feels ENTIRELY unnecessary in light of layman and vandy ... and then davis ..... and now rhj. all of these guys feel same tier to me - only each does something better than the other. but four is plenty.
No plan at all. The point of Davis is to keep Naz from playing or to not play at all and cost us a better player in Spellman and a 2nd. Oh but it was a cap move to get rid of Evans......who could have been released or put into one of the other deals we got raped in. And we could have easily absorbed the cap hit by not giving Hermanmunster 5th starter money. Bit at least that RHJ signing um.......what exactly does that do? Give time at the 3 and 4 to a pro on a 1 year deal who will run from this shit show like his hair is on fire. Keeping our rep alive as the best playwer development team in the league.

Who remembers what the rent boy's NBA rep was? It was as a great player development coach! :lol: Now he has Culver jacking more 3's and Okogie at the 4.

Clown show.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Bye bye Juancho?! :naners:

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'd love to see him go. the combo of coming in late and out of shape after getting a big deal - plus the emerging good play of vandy, naz and mcdaniels, plus some better games lately out of layman - all makes juancho completely superfluous. he should not be getting minutes. for one thing, in what we've seen out of him this season, getting regular PT will only diminish his trade value.